/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Jesus said that he is the way and that no one can come to God except through him. Wha

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-26-2006, 11:17 PM
Source http://www.islamisforyou.com/static/...VDBUvqth.shtml

Jesus said that he is the way and that no one can come to God except through him. What do Muslims say about that?

Muslims believe that Jesus, on whom be peace, was indeed the way. This means that he showed the way by which people should approach God. He expected that people should follow him and imitate him. His early followers were called followers of the way because, obviously, they followed Jesus, and Jesus was the way (see Acts 9:2; 18:25; 19:9; 19:23; 22:4; 24:14; 24:22). They were also called Christians, which means 'imitators of Christ' (see Acts 11 :26). This shows that the early followers of Jesus copied and imitated him.

Jesus had said that his true followers will hold on to his teachings, then they will know the truth, and the truth will set them free (see John 8:31-32). God did reveal His truth in these last times. And true followers of Jesus will readily accept that truth, for they will find it in agreement with the unadulterated teachings of Jesus. In these last times God has sent a messenger and declared that anyone who claims to love Him must follow His messenger, on whom be peace. God directs His messenger as follows:
Say! If you love Allah then follow me. Allah will love you and forgive your sins. Surely Allah is Forgiving, Merciful (Qur'an 3:31).

Now this messenger, Muhammad, on whom be peace, has brought God's final message for all of humankind. If we love God we must follow him. He brought the truth which Jesus said his true followers will recognize. The truth sets people free from unreasonable doctrines and dogmas.

Confusion arises in the minds of some who imagine that Jesus is the only way for peoples of all times and all places. Clearly, the Old Testament prophets directed people to Yahweh, the only God. They showed therefore the way to Yahweh. In fact, people were calling on the name of Yahweh since the time of Adam (see Genesis 4:1).

Jesus was the way for his time; now Muhammad is the way. We believe in both of them, and we worship the one God whom they both worshipped. These men showed us the way to worship God. Jesus, for example, fell on his knees and worshipped God (see Luke 22:4 1). He also fell on his face and worshipped God (see Matthew 26:39). Muhammad too adopted similar postures of humility in worshipping God. Likewise is the practice of the true imitators of Jesus and Muhammad, peace be upon both of them.

Finally, we should recall that Jesus is the way, not the destination. He spoke of one who is greater than himself (see John 14:28). And he said that, that one alone is the only true God (see John 17:3).

God has sent numerous prophets and messengers. Each in his time was the way to God. No one can approach God in a way contrary to the way of God's messenger. This is why God said that He will call to account anyone who does not listen to His prophet who will speak in His name (see Deuteronomy 18:19).

The site referred to one verse but im gunna post all of where it starts talking about it. In case some of u may want to see those verses.

Deu 18:15 The LORD thy God will raise up unto thee a Prophet from the midst of thee, of thy brethren, like unto me; unto him ye shall hearken;

Deu 18:16 According to all that thou desiredst of the LORD thy God in Horeb in the day of the assembly, saying, Let me not hear again the voice of the LORD my God, neither let me see this great fire any more, that I die not.

Deu 18:17 And the LORD said unto me, They have well [spoken that] which they have spoken.

Deu 18:18 I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him.

Deu 18:19 And it shall come to pass, [that] whosoever will not hearken unto my words which he shall speak in my name, I will require [it] of him.

Deu 18:20 But the prophet, which shall presume to speak a word in my name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or that shall speak in the name of other gods, even that prophet shall die.

Deu 18:21 And if thou say in thine heart, How shall we know the word which the LORD hath not spoken?

Deu 18:22 When a prophet speaketh in the name of the LORD, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that [is] the thing which the LORD hath not spoken, [but] the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him.

The verses were found at this site: http://www.blueletterbible.org/kjv/Deu/Deu018.html

If this has already been discussed(not sure if it has been), then i guess u guys can disregard the thead =\
Peace

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
alcurad
08-27-2006, 01:16 AM
slaam
it has been discuused countless times.
almost any debate with christians involves it.
peace

alcurad
08-27-2006, 01:18 AM
correction: i only meant the verses have been discussed,not so sure about the other stuff though...

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-27-2006, 01:28 AM
okk..so can some1 delete it... k thnx..if necessary..

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
glo
08-27-2006, 02:13 AM
Actually, I've been in this forum for a while, and I haven't seen this particular quote of Jesus being discussed.
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him."
Philip said, "Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us."
Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'? Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you are not just my own. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the miracles themselves. I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.
(John 14: 6-14)
It encourages me to see how much Islam and Christianity share in their views about Jesus. It particularly warms my heart to know how highly and reverently Islam looks upon Jesus. :statisfie

The difference in interpretation of Jesus' words highlights how Islam and Christianity view Jesus Christ differently.
Thank you for explaining the Islamic view so clearly. :)

I have underlined a couple of sentences, which (to me) highlight that Jesus is divine. Perhaps we can discuss those in more depth ... except it's 3 a.m. here, and I am not doing it now. :uhwhat :uuh: :giggling:

Peace.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-27-2006, 02:26 AM
I think, in my view, is that Christians are meant to follow the teachings of Jesus(pbuh). Just like we look to the prophet Muhammad(pbuh). They both preached the message of "One God." I would think if ur going to believe "God is One," you should know God is greater than His "creation." neways i wont go into that, totally different topic. Im glad though it was helpful to you. The whole point is to have people understand Islam. Whether they accept it or not, is entirely up to them. We could go into depth, but i would hope more ppl to take part in it, as my knowledge is limited :p. But it doesnt hurt to discuss.(i hope so):giggling: :giggling:

Woodrow
08-27-2006, 05:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Actually, I've been in this forum for a while, and I haven't seen this particular quote of Jesus being discussed.

It encourages me to see how much Islam and Christianity share in their views about Jesus. It particularly warms my heart to know how highly and reverently Islam looks upon Jesus. :statisfie

The difference in interpretation of Jesus' words highlights how Islam and Christianity view Jesus Christ differently.
Thank you for explaining the Islamic view so clearly. :)

I have underlined a couple of sentences, which (to me) highlight that Jesus is divine. Perhaps we can discuss those in more depth ... except it's 3 a.m. here, and I am not doing it now. :uhwhat :uuh: :giggling:

Peace.
we have no doubt that Jesus(as) is the Way. He had the knowledge revealed to him as to how we were to submitt to God(swt) That is the truth and the way. He was given the true Word and he was the Way for all to hear it.

43:61. And (Jesus) shall be a Sign (for the coming of) the Hour (of Judgment): therefore have no doubt about the (Hour), but follow ye Me: this is a Straight Way. S P C
43:62. Let not the Evil One hinder you: for he is to you an enemy avowed. S P
43:63. When Jesus came with Clear Signs, he said: "Now have I come to you with Wisdom, and in order to make clear to you some of the (points) on which ye dispute: therefore fear Allah and obey me. S P
C

43:64. "For Allah, He is my Lord and your Lord: so worship ye Him: this is a Straight Way." S P C
43:65. But sects from among themselves fell into disagreement: then woe to the wrong-doers, from the Penalty of a Grievous Day! S P
43:66. Do they only wait for the Hour - that it should come on them all of a sudden, while they perceive not? S P C

43:67. Friends on that day will be foes, one to another,- except the Righteous. S P C
43:68. My devotees! no fear shall be on you that Day, nor shall ye grieve,- S P C
43:69. (Being) those who have believed in Our Signs and bowed (their wills to Ours) in Islam. S P
43:70. Enter ye the Garden, ye and your wives, in (beauty and) rejoicing. S P C

43:71. To them will be passed round, dishes and goblets of gold: there will be there all that the souls could desire, all that their ayes could delight in: and ye shall abide therein (for eye). S P C
43:72. Such will be the Garden of which ye are made heirs for your (good) deeds (in life). S P C
43:73. Ye shall have therein abundance of fruit, from which ye shall have satisfaction. S P C

43:74. The sinners will be in the Punishment of Hell, to dwell therein (for aye): S P
43:75. Nowise will the (Punishment) be lightened for them, and in despair will they be there overwhelmed. S P
43:76. Nowise shall We be unjust to them: but it is they who have been unjust themselves. S P C
43:77. They will cry: "O Malik! would that thy Lord put an end to us!" He will say, "Nay, but ye shall abide!" S P C

43:78. Verily We have brought the Truth to you: but most of you have a hatred for Truth. S P C
43:79. What! have they settled some plan (among themselves)? But it is We Who settle things. S P C
43:80. Or do they think that We hear not their secrets and their private counsels? Indeed (We do), and Our messengers are by them, to record. S P C

43:81. Say: "If (Allah) Most Gracious had a son, I would be the first to worship." S P C
43:82. Glory to the Lord of the heavens and the earth, the Lord of the Throne (of Authority)! (He is free) from the things they attribute (to him)! S P C
43:83. So leave them to babble and play (with vanities) until they meet that Day of theirs, which they have been promised. S P C

43:84. It is He Who is Allah in heaven and Allah on earth; and He is full of Wisdom and Knowledge. S P
43:85. And blessed is He to Whom belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth, and all between them: with Him is the Knowledge of the Hour (of Judgment): and to Him shall ye be brought back. S P
C
43:86. And those whom they invoke besides Allah have no power of intercession;- only he who bears witness to the Truth, and they know (him). S P C

43:87. If thou ask them, who created them, they will certainly say, Allah: How then are they deluded away (from the Truth)? S P C
43:88. (Allah has knowledge) of the (Prophet's) cry, "O my Lord! Truly these are people who will not believe!" S P C
43:89. But turn away from them, and say "Peace!" But soon shall they know! S P C

Yusuf Ali's Quran Translation

Joe98
08-27-2006, 08:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tayyaba
Jesus was the way for his time; now Muhammad is the way.

Jesus lived 2,000 years ago.

Muhammad lived 1,400 years ago. Only 600 years after Jesus.

"Now" is not 1,400 years go.

There is something wrong!

Woodrow
08-27-2006, 09:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Joe98

Not if you think of now in terms of era and not a specific date. Now is a very relative term and has many connontations.

Living now most specificaly would mean living at this moment less specific it could mean living in the 21st century. Religous wise you could thing in terms of the Pre-Judaistic era, Pre- christian Era, Christian Era, or the Islamic Era which we are stilll NOW in.

i_m_tipu
08-27-2006, 09:29 AM

don't understand ur point :?

i_m_tipu
08-27-2006, 09:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
the Islamic Era which we are stilll NOW in.
tring of some muslims

may Allaah help our tries.........

Joe98
08-27-2006, 09:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by i_m_tipu
don't understand ur point :?
That, according to Islam, God is all powerfull

God can see into the future

But God had to send more than one messenger.

He sent them every so often over the centuries.

But the last one was sent 1,400 years go.

God can see into the future and still made mistakes..................

Maybe there are no gods.

Woodrow
08-27-2006, 09:41 AM

Maybe there are no gods.
You can sell model airplane kits that you make yourself. You can enclose very specific instructions with them. The buyer can call you ten times that he lost the instructions. You send him new instructions each time.

Experience tells you that you know he was going to loose the instructions ten times. Were you making an error in sending them each time he lost them?

Joe98
08-27-2006, 09:45 AM
God is not in earthly business.

The comparison is silly.

Woodrow
08-27-2006, 09:58 AM
God is not in earthly business.

The comparison is silly.
The idea is still the same God(swt) would send the word as many times as it is lost. Even knowing it is going to be lost, misread, or thrown away. He is a truly fair judge and we all will be judged with pure fairness. But, we will never be able to offer the excuse "You did not tell us"

Sounds logical and fair to me.

I like it and it is sufficient for me. That is my choice and you have your choice. Nobody has the right to deny you your choice.

Abdul Fattah
08-27-2006, 10:19 AM

Maybe there are no gods.
See teh thing is, there's no longer a need for prophets, everything that needs to be said is already said. And especially this day and age, almost everybody has acces to these revelations.
Oh btw, there might no longer be prophets, but someone once told me that about every 100years or so there will besent someone who reminds us and refreshes Islam, but since he doesn't share anything new isn't consider a prophet. Can anyone confirm this?

i_m_tipu
08-27-2006, 10:54 AM

Maybe there are no gods.
hmmmmmm....
Look like u r trying to understand GOD plan.

u (human) r such a creature
which can think whatever he wants to think.
which can dream whatever he wants to dream.
which can do whatever he wants to do. etc etc

our mind is not controlled.

That is the no 1 reason
we r called Man
otherwise we would be called Angels or others

who has no independent thinking capabilities. They just do one action obey Allaah(swt) nothing else.

But we do have independent thinking capabilities.

And that independent thinking
Drove us in a wrong way.

Allaah(swt) trying to correct His best creation (US) in many ways. Bcoz he indeed loves us a lot.
One of his trying is sending Messenger. (When God will to send any)

But again people changed message of God. Established the law of their own and reject the law of GOD.

A Messenger’s job is to establish God law and covey the message of God in order to make us leading right life in right way.

Is not Allaah(swt) say in Quran Muhammad(pbuh) is the final Messenger Who send not for a nation but for the world.

Is not the Qur’an still unedited?
Is not Qur’an is the complete way of life?

So what is reason of expecting another prophet? Where Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) declared as a final prophet. Where God message is still perfectly preserved.

Muhammad(pbuh) "Those who saw him in the full moon noticed that his blessed face was brighter than the moon"

074 Al-Muddaththir [The Cloaked one, The Man Wearing a Cloak]
Verse 11 to 29

Leave Me alone, (to deal) with the (creature) whom I created (bare and) alone!-

To whom I granted resources in abundance,

And sons to be by his side!-

To whom I made (life) smooth and comfortable!

Yet is he greedy-that I should add (yet more);-

By no means! For to Our Signs he has been refractory!

Soon will I visit him with a mount of calamities!

For he thought and he plotted;-

And woe to him! How he plotted!-

Yea, Woe to him; How he plotted!-

Then he looked round;

Then he frowned and he scowled;

Then he turned back and was haughty;

Then said he: "This is nothing but magic, derived from of old;

"This is nothing but the word of a mortal!"

Soon will I cast him into Hell-Fire!

And what will explain to thee what Hell-Fire is?

Naught doth it permit to endure, and naught doth it leave alone!-

Darkening and changing the color of man!

glo
08-27-2006, 02:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
we have no doubt that Jesus(as) is the Way. He had the knowledge revealed to him as to how we were to submitt to God(swt) That is the truth and the way. He was given the true Word and he was the Way for all to hear it.
I know, Woodrow.
And I agree. :)

Peace.

- Qatada -
08-28-2006, 02:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by steve
See teh thing is, there's no longer a need for prophets, everything that needs to be said is already said. And especially this day and age, almost everybody has acces to these revelations.
Oh btw, there might no longer be prophets, but someone once told me that about every 100years or so there will besent someone who reminds us and refreshes Islam, but since he doesn't share anything new isn't consider a prophet. Can anyone confirm this?

:salamext:

The Messenger of Allaah (peace be upon him) said:

"Allah shall raise for this Umma (nation) at the head of every century a man who shall renew (or revive) for it its religion" (Sunan Abu Dawud, Kitab al-Malahim, ch. 1.)

“The Israelites used to be led by prophets; whenever a prophet died, another came after him. After me there is no prophet, but there will be khalifas and there will be many.”
(Bukhari, book 60, ch. 50)

“Allah has promised to those of you who believe, and do good, that He will surely make them khalifas in the earth as He made those before them to be khalifas” (Quran 24:55)

But right now - you can refer to this link insha'Allaah for more info:

http://islamic-world.net/khalifah/muslim_reformers.htm

Allaah Almighty knows best.

:wasalamex

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.