/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Are pictures haram?

Danish
06-07-2005, 07:20 PM
:sl:

Hadith -Bukhari 4:47, Narrated 'Aisha

I stuffed for the Prophet a pillow decorated with pictures (of animals) which looked like a Namruqa (i.e. a small cushion). He came and stood among the people with excitement apparent on his face. I said, "O Allah's Apostle! What is wrong?" He said, "What is this pillow?" I said, "I have prepared this pillow for you, so that you may recline on it." He said, "Don't you know that angels do not enter a house wherein there are pictures; and whoever makes a picture will be punished on the Day of Resurrection and will be asked to give life to (what he has created)?"

Hadith - Bukhari 4:448, Narrated Abu Talha

I heard Allah's Apostle saying; "Angels (of Mercy) do not enter a house wherein there is a dog or a picture of a living creature (a human being or an animal)."

Hadith -Bukhari 5:338, Narrated Ibn Abbas

Abu Talha, a companion of Allah's Apostle and one of those who fought at Badr together with Allah's Apostle told me that Allah's Apostle said. "Angels do not enter a house in which there is a dog or a picture." He meant the images of creatures that have souls.

Hadith - Muslim, Narrated Ali ibn AbuTalib

AbulHayyaj al-Asadi told that Ali ibn AbuTalib said to him: Should I not send you on the same mission as Allah's Messenger sent me? Do not leave an image without obliterating it, or a high grave without levelling it. This hadith has been reported by Habib with the same chain of transmitters and he said: (do not leave) a picture without obliterating it.

Hadith - Muslim, narrated Maymunah

One morning Allah's Messenger was silent with grief. Maymunah said: Allah's Messenger, I find a change in your mood today. Allah's Messenger said: Gabriel had promised me that he would meet me last night, but he did not meet me. By Allah, he never broke his promises; and Allah's Messenger spent the day in this sad (mood). Then it occurred to him that there had been a puppy under their cot. He gave an order and it was turned out. He then took some water in his hand and sprinkled it on the place. When it was evening Gabriel met him and he said to him: You promised me that you would meet me the previous night. He said: Yes, but we do not enter a house in which there is a dog or a picture. So the very next morning he commanded the dogs to be killed. He announced that the dog kept for the orchards should also be killed, but he spared the dog used for the protection of extensive fields (or big gardens).

Hadith - Bukhari 8:151, Narrated 'Aisha

I used to play with the dolls in the presence of the Prophet , and my girl friends also used to play with me. When Allah's Apostle used to enter (my dwelling place) they used to hide themselves, but the Prophet would call them to join and play with me. (The playing with the dolls and similar images is forbidden, but it was allowed for 'Aisha at that time, as she was a little girl, not yet reached the age of puberty.) (Fateh-al-Bari page 143, Vol.13)

Hadith - Abu Dawud, Narrated Aisha, Ummul Mu'minin

When the Apostle of Allah arrived after the expedition to Tabuk or Khaybar (the narrator is doubtful), the draught raised an end of a curtain which was hung in front of her store-room, revealing some dolls which belonged to her. He asked: What is this? She replied: My dolls. Among them he saw a horse with wings made of rags, and asked: What is this I see among them? She replied: A horse. He asked: What is this that it has on it? She replied: Two wings. He asked: A horse with two wings? She replied: Have you not heard that Solomon had horses with wings? She said: Thereupon the Apostle of Allah laughed so heartily that I could see his molar teeth.

Hadith - Sahih Bukhari 2.425, Narrated Aisha, r.a.

When the Prophet became ill, some of his wives talked about a church which they had seen in Ethiopia and it was called Mariya. Um Salma and Um Habiba had been to Ethiopia, and both of them narrated its (the Church's) beauty and the pictures it contained. The Prophet raised his head and said, "Those are the people who, whenever a pious man dies amongst them, make a place of worship at his grave and then they make those pictures in it. Those are the worst creatures in the Sight of Allah."

Hadith - At-Tirmidhi

"On the Day of Resurrection a neck will stretch forth from Hell; it will have two eyes to see, two ears to hear, and a tongue to speak. It will say, "I have been appointed to take care of three types of people: every arrogant tyrant, every person who called on some deity other than Allaah (swt) and those who made pictures" [at-Tirmidhi stated that this hadith was saheeh - at-Takhweef min an-Naar, p.179, See also Jaami' al-Usool, 10/518, the editor said its isnaad is hasan]

i think this suggest rather strongly, pictures r haram..?? Is they really are then we need to pull our socks up & stop doing it

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ansar Al-'Adl
06-07-2005, 07:40 PM

First of all, Allah swt knows best, and this has become a controversial issue. It all depends on the pictures, and what is being done with the pictures. I agree with this fatwa by Shaykh Ahmad Kutty:

"Photography as a medium of communication or for the simple, innocent retention of memories without the taint of reverence/shirk does not fall under the category of forbidden Tasweer.

One finds a number of traditions from the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, condemning people who make Tasweer, which denotes painting or carving images or statues. It was closely associated with paganism or shirk. People were in the habit of carving images and statues for the sake of worship. Islam, therefore, declared Tasweer forbidden because of its close association with shirk (association of partners with Allah). One of the stated principles of usul-u-Fiqh (Principles of Islamic Jurisprudence) is that if anything directly leads to haram, it is likewise haram. In other words, Tasweer was forbidden precisely for the reason that it was a means leading to shirk.

The function of photography today does not fall under the above category. Even some of the scholars who had been once vehemently opposed to photography under the pretext that it was a form of forbidden Tasweer have later changed their position on it - as they allow even for their own pictures to be taken and published in newspapers, for videotaping lectures and for presentations; whereas in the past, they would only allow it in exceptional cases such as passports, drivers’ licenses, etc. The change in their view of photography is based on their assessment of the role of photography.

Having said this, one must add a word of caution: To take pictures of leaders and heroes and hang them on the walls may not belong to the same category of permission. This may give rise to a feeling of reverence and hero worship, which was precisely the main thrust of the prohibition of Tasweer. Therefore, one cannot make an unqualified statement to the effect that all photography is halal. It all depends on the use and function of it. If it is for educational purpose and has not been tainted with the motive of reverence and hero worship, there is nothing in the sources to prohibit it."

Here are two other views, if one would like to examine the conflicting opinions on this issue:
Islam-Q&A <-makes some excellent points
Understanding Islam.

Do everything for the sake of Allah swt, and He will guide your actions. I believe another point to note as well, is that keeping images/pictures in a book/desk/folder is different from hanging them up or adorning the house with them.

:w:

Khayal
06-07-2005, 07:56 PM
Assalaam O Alaikum Wa Rahamatullahe Wabarakatu

MashaAllah, very important sharing, :rose: jazak ALLAH khair.

Wa Alaikum Assalaam Wa Rahamatullahe Wabarakatu

Lateralus63
06-07-2005, 09:50 PM

I hate to say i told you so Danish :P, im joking :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Danish
06-08-2005, 11:20 AM
:j: Ansar Al-'Adl, thats what i dont get...some scholars say music is haram, others say its not, some say pictures r haram, others say its not...some scholars say masturbating is halal for some reasons, others say its no way halal...who r u suppose to follow? Can we just follow the scholar we like and if they r wrong blame 'em in the day of judgement?

minaz
06-08-2005, 01:49 PM
Very good discussion going on "Danish", however I have never heard of anyone saying masturbation being halal, let alone anyone ever saying the word in regards to religion! (btw is it halal/haraam?) You do have a point at the end, but i feel its a foolish one mate :p No matter what a scholar says, its your job to interpret it, analyse it then come to a decision whether or not to implement it. You can't let someone else be the scape goat, for only Allah knows your true intentions my friend

Ibn Abi Ahmed
06-08-2005, 01:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Danish
:j: Ansar Al-'Adl, thats what i dont get...some scholars say music is haram, others say its not, some say pictures r haram, others say its not...some scholars say masturbating is halal for some reasons, others say its no way halal...who r u suppose to follow? Can we just follow the scholar we like and if they r wrong blame 'em in the day of judgement?

Shudnt some fact mentioned above belong in the brothers section? Id be happy if this topic was moved there.

minaz
06-08-2005, 02:00 PM
very true ahmed, SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Danish
06-08-2005, 03:08 PM
:Sl:
Very good discussion going on "Danish", however I have never heard of anyone saying masturbation being halal, let alone anyone ever saying the word in regards to religion! (btw is it halal/haraam?) You do have a point at the end, but i feel its a foolish one mate No matter what a scholar says, its your job to interpret it, analyse it then come to a decision whether or not to implement it. You can't let someone else be the scape goat, for only Allah knows your true intentions my friend
yep,. many say thats haram...just saying, many scholars say u can do it on if it helps u lower ur desire and do worse things....check Islamicity.com question/answers section if u dont believe me...but not that i do anything like that alhamdulilah, i was just posing a point
Shudnt some fact mentioned above belong in the brothers section? Id be happy if this topic was moved there.
if u wanna, but i DIDNT wanna discuss that at all, just wanted to ask what ppl think when scholars dont agree..who is the right scholar etc

change of topic: i guess music is haram then????

Ansar Al-'Adl
06-08-2005, 05:04 PM
The truth of the matter is that these are gray areas between halal and haraam. There is no clear-cut answer to many of these issues. And in Islam we should always take everything in moderation and make our intention for the sake of Allah swt. As our Eeman increases we should try to stay away from the gray areas more and more.
http://www.youngmuslims.ca/online_li...slam/ch1p9.htm

Danish
06-08-2005, 05:08 PM
well, according to that link and hadith Ansar, its BETTER for MUSLIMs to avoid such things coz of doubt...err...from that logic shouldnt pictures be NOT ENCOURAGEd too then, providing there is alternative?

Ansar Al-'Adl
06-08-2005, 06:17 PM
Yes, its better to avoid gray areas, if you do it for the sake of pleasing Allah swt. But we should not be extreme in making the unclear grey areas prohibited. They are not haraam, but the stronger the Muslim, the more he avoids them. With regards to pictures, take the balanced view presented in my first post here.

.from that logic shouldnt pictures be NOT ENCOURAGEd too then, providing there is alternative?
Yes, we should not encourage people to draw pictures with faces.

Danish
06-09-2005, 04:54 PM
Yep, u clarified it mashallah Ansar....

i remmeber there is a hadith about Prophet (PHUB) saying there r Halal things which r clear, and haram things which r clear, and in between there r doubtful matters, for those who wanna strengthen iman, its better to avoid doubtful things

أحمد
06-09-2005, 04:58 PM
Yep, u clarified it mashallah Ansar....

i remmeber there is a hadith about Prophet (PHUB) saying there r Halal things which r clear, and haram things which r clear, and in between there r doubtful matters, for those who wanna strengthen iman, its better to avoid doubtful things

:D There's more than a small hadith narration; refer to Surah Aal-'Imran 3: verse 7 for details . . . :p

Danish
06-09-2005, 05:06 PM
"He it is Who hath revealed unto thee (Muhammad) the Scripture wherein are clear revelations - they are the substance of the Book - and others (which are) allegorical. But those in whose hearts is doubt pursue, forsooth, that which is allegorical seeking (to cause) dissension by seeking to explain it. None knoweth its explanation save Allah. And those who are of sound instruction say: We believe therein; the whole is from our Lord; but only men of understanding really heed." -- Al E'Imran verse 7

Abunaaila
08-06-2005, 06:24 PM
Bismillah Ar-Rahman Ar-Raheem

Wal - Alhamdulillaahi Rabbil-`Aalameen was-Salaatu was-Salaamu `Alaa Rasoolillaah, Wa 'ala Alihe wa As-habihe, ajma'een.

Wa Ba'ad:
Assalamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullah Wa Barakatu

I wanted to provide some information on tasweer since some have photos of themselves on the forum. I pray that this information is a benefit. May Allah Ta'ala protect us all and forgive us our sins. May Allahu Ta'ala guide us to the haqq and accept from us our ibaadah, Ameen.

An extract From 'The Islamic Ruling Concerning Tasweer'

By Shaikh 'Abdul-'Aziz bin Baaz rahimahullaah Former Grand Mufti of Saudi Arabia

Image Makers will be punished on the Day of Judgement

Narrated Abdullaah ibn 'Umar (d.73H) radiallaahu 'anhu: Allaah's Messenger sallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam said, "Those who make these images (suwar) will be punished on the Day of Resurrection, and it will be said to them, make alive what you have created." (Al-Bukhaaree 7/541, no.835; Muslim, 3/160, no.,5268)

Al-Haafidh Ibn Hajar (d.852H) says, "It is a command to do that which one is unable to do. From it we get a description of how the punishment of the image-maker will be. He will be ordered to breathe the soul into the image which he has made and he will not be able to do so. As a result his punishment will continue (UNCEASINGLY)." (Fath ul-Baaree, 10/398).

It should also be mentioned that there must be consideration in this matter if the making of a picture is necessitate by urgency or emergency, such as x-rays for identification or diagnosis of a disease or sickness. In this case the condition is that the picture itself be not the immediate goal or objective.

This is based on the rule is Usool al-fiqh: necessity should be measured by the existing circumstances.

Whatever goes beyond that, to the point of being done out of pride, and enjoyment of these images, is forbidden. (Nuzhatul Muttaqeen, 2/1150, no.1680)

The Command to Remove Curtains Containing Images

'Aaisha (d.58H) radiallaahu 'anhaa reported that Allaah's Messenger sallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam came back from a journey and I had screened my door with a curtain having (images) of winged horses on it. He sallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam commanded me (to remove it). So I pulled it down. [This is the wording narrated by Muslim] (Muslim, 3/1158, no.5256)

Al- Bukhaaree's narration is, "I had hung a thick curtain having images (tamaatheel). He sallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam commanded me to remove it, so I pulled it down." [Bukhaaree, 7/542]

Al-Haafidh Ibn Hajr says, "It has the word tamaatheel which is the plural of timthaal and refers to something whose image is made; and it is more general than to be limited to shaakhis (that which has body like a statue) or naqsh (engraved), dahn (painting), or nasaj (weaved) in a cloth.

In the narration of Bukair ibn al-Ashajj from Abdur-Rahmaan ibn Al-Qaasim, reported by Muslim (3/1159, no.5265), it contains the words ".. she hung up a curtain which had in it tasaaweer (images)."." (Fath ul-Baaree, 10/401. no.5955)

See also Ahmad 6/208, 6/281, where 'Aaisha's narration contains, "... she said then he sallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam tore it up."

Pulling Down and Tearing up Curtains Containing Images

'Aaisha radiallaahu 'anhaa reported that she had a curtain which had images (tasaweer) in it. Allaah's Messenger sallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam entered (the room) and pulled it down. 'Aaisha said, "I then tore it and prepared two cushions from it." A man who was present at the time when this Hadith was being narrated and whose name was Rabeeah ibn 'Ataa ibn al-Qaasim ibn Muhammad was one of the students of al-Qaasim ibn Muhamma, asked, "Didn't you hear Abu Muhammad (al-Qaasim, the narrator from 'Aaisha), making mention of 'Aaisha radiallaahu 'anhaa having stated that Allaah's Messenger sallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam used to recline on them (the two cushions)?" Abdur-Rahmaan ibn al-Qaasim said, "No, but I heard al-Qaasim ibn Muhammad saying so." (Muslim, 3/1159, no.5265, footnote 2518).

This is similar to what al-Haafidh Ibn Hajar said concerning the reconciliation ('jam) between the following Hadith containing the words, "... he tore (the curtain containing images) apart ... so we turned the curtains into one or two cushions", and the next Hadith containing the words "She bought a cushion having images on it. When Allaah's messenger sallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam saw it he stopped at the door and did not enter ... he sallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam added: Angels do not enter a house in which there are images."

al-Haafidh says another possible explanation for reconciliation between the two Hadith is that when the curtain was cut up, the cutting could have been, for example, in the middle of the image, thereby changing it from its original form. For this reason he sallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam began to use it to lean on.

The Most Severely Punished People on the Day of Resurrection Will Be Those Who Try to Imitate Allaah's Creation

Narrated 'Aaisha radiallaahu 'anhaa that Allaah's Messenger sallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam returned from a journey when I had placed a curtain of mine having images (tamaatheel) over (the door of) a chamber of mine. When Allaah's Messenger sallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam saw it, he tore it apart and said: "The People who will receive the severest punishment on the Day of Resurrection will be those who try the make the like of Allaah's creation." So we turned the curtains into one or two cushions / pillows." (al-Bukhaaree, 7/542, no.838)

In another narration he sallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam said "... those who make these images." (Bukhaaree, 8/83, no.130) In the narration of Muslim it contains the words, "... he tore it apart and the colour of his face underwent a change." (Muslim 3/1159, no.5261) In the narration of az-Zuhree from al Qaasim as reported by Muslim "... those who try to imitate (make similar to) the creation of Allaah (alladheena yushabbihoona bi khalq Allaah)." [Muslim 3/1158, no.5258)

Dislike of Entering a House Where There Are Images Even if Those Images Were in That Which is Sat Upon (Dishonoured) Like a Cushion

Narrated 'Aaisha radiallaahu 'anhaa, the wife of the Prophet sallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam, who said: I bought a cushion (numruqah) having images (tasaweer) on it. When Allaah's Messenger sallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam saw it, he stopped at the door and did not enter. She noticed the signs of strong disapproval on his face. She said "O Allaah's Messenger! I turn to Allaah and His Messenger in repentance. What sin have I committed?" He said, "What is this cushion for?" I said, "I have bought it for you to sit and recline on." Allaah's Messenger sallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam said "The makers of these images (suwar) will be punished (severely) on the Day of Resurrection and it will be said to them, make alive what you have created." He sallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam added, "Angels do not enter a house in which there are images (suwar)." (al-Bukhaaree, 7/545, no.844), Muslim 3/1159, no.5266)

Angels Do Not Enter A House Where There are Images

Abu Hurairah radiallaahu 'anhu reported Allaah's Messenger sallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam as saying, "Angels do not enter a house (or any other place) where there are statues (tamatheel) or pictures (Tasaweer)." (Muslim 3/1162, no.5276)

Whoever is pleased to have images in his house himself prohibits the entry of the angels. The angels do not enter because of their rejection and disapproval of the act of the image makers in violation of the laws of Allaah, the Most high. The result of this is that the absence of the angels is an open invitation to the devils. According to some scholars the angels which are prohibited from entry are only the angels of MERCY, and not all angels, since the angels who write the deeds of human beings (al-Hafazah) do not separate from the human simply because of the presence of images. (Nuzhatul Muttaqeen, 2/1153, no.1686 and 1688)

Ibn Hajar says its apparent meaning is that it is general (applicable to all angels).

Al-Qurtubee says, "That which points to the recording angels being a special exception i.e. that they are not prevented from entering, has no supporting textual evidence."

------------

Praise be to Allah.

Photography (tasweer) means the taking of pictures of living, animate moving beings, like people, animals, birds, etc. The ruling is that it is forbidden on the basis of a number of reports, such as the following:

'Abdullah ibn Mas'ood (may Allah be pleased with him) reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: "Those who will be most severely punished by Allah on the Day of Resurrection will be the image-makers." (Reported by al-Bukhari, see al-Fath, 10/382).

Abu Hurairah (may Allah be pleased with him) reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: "Allah, may He be exalted, says: 'Who does more wrong than the one who tries to create something like My creation? Let him create a grain of wheat or a kernel of corn.'" (Reported by al-Bukhari, see Fath al-Baari, 10/385).

'Ali (may Allah be pleased with him) said: "Shall I not send you on the same mission as the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) sent me? Do not leave any built-up tomb without leveling it, and do not leave any picture in any house without erasing it." (Reported by Muslim and al-Nisaa'i; this is the version narrated by al-Nisaa'i).

Ibn 'Abbaas (may Allah be pleased with him and his father) reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: "Every image-maker will be in the Fire, and for every image that he made a soul will be created for him, which will be punished in the Fire." Ibn 'Abbaas said: "If you must do that, make pictures of trees and other inanimate objects." (Reported by Muslim, 3/1871)

These Hadith indicate that pictures of animate beings are haram, whether they are humans or other creatures, whether they are three-dimensional or two-dimensional, whether they are printed, drawn, etched, engraved, carved, cast in moulds, etc. These Hadith include all of these types of pictures.

The Muslim should submit to the teachings of Islam and not argue with them by saying, "But I am not worshipping them or prostrating to them!" If we think about just one aspect of the evil caused by the previewence of photographs and pictures in our times, we will understand something of the wisdom behind this prohibition: that aspect is the great corruption caused by the provoking of physical desires and subsequent spread of immorality caused by these pictures.

The Muslim should not keep any pictures of animate beings in his house, because they will prevent the angels from entering. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: "The angels do not enter a house in which there is a dog or pictures." (Reported by al-Bukhari, see al-Fath, 10/380). But nowadays, unfortunately, one can even find in some Muslim homes statues of gods worshipped by the kuffar (such as Buddha etc.) which they keep on the basis that they are antiques or decorative pieces. These things are more strictly prohibited than others, just as pictures which are hung up are worse than pictures which are not hung up, for how easily they can lead to glorification, and cause grief or be a source of boasting! We cannot say that these pictures are kept for memory's sake, because true memories of a Muslim relative or friend reside in the heart, and we remember them by praying for mercy and forgiveness for them.

Taking pictures with a camera involves human actions such as focusing, pressing the shutter, developing, printing, and so on. We cannot call it anything other than "picture-making" or tasweer, which is the statement used by all Arabic-speakers to describe this action.

In the book Al-I'laam bi naqd kittab al-halaal wa'l-haram, the author says: "Photography is even more of an imitation of the creation of Allah than pictures which are engraved or drawn, so it is even more deserving of being prohibited… There is nothing that could exclude photography from the general meaning of the reports." (p. 42, see also Fatawa Islamiyyah, 4/355).

sonz
08-14-2005, 11:50 AM
salam

u said

I wanted to provide some information on tasweer since some have photos of themselves on the forum. I pray that this information is a benefit. May Allah Ta'ala protect us all and forgive us our sins. May Allahu Ta'ala guide us to the haqq and accept from us our ibaadah, Ameen.

is it haram to have photos on forum????

:confused:

Far7an
08-14-2005, 11:52 AM
Assalamu alaikum

On the image issue, it is completely different for computer screen, read the following:
http://63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=e...&QR=10326&dgn=4

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said:
With regard to pictures made in the modern fashion, they fall into two categories:

The first category is those which have no tangible substance (and can only be seen by running them through a machine), as I was told is the case with pictures on video tapes. There is no ruling at all concerning these, and they do not come under the prohibition at all. Hence the scholars who forbid making pictures with cameras on paper (photographs) permitted this (video pictures), and said that there is nothing wrong with this. Then it was asked, is it permissible to film lectures which are given in the mosques? The (scholarly) view was that it is better not to do that, because it may disturb the worshippers and because they may film things that may not be appropriate, and so on.

The second category is fixed or still pictures on paper (photographs) …

But the matter needs further discussion if one wants to make these kind of permissible pictures. For they are subject to five rulings which depend on the intention. If the intention is something forbidden, then it is haraam. If he intends something waajib (obligatory), then it is waajib. Sometimes pictures may be essential, especially moving pictures. For example, if we see someone in the act of committing a crime against a person’s rights, such as an attempt to kill and so on, and we cannot prove it in any way but by taking pictures, then in this case taking pictures becomes waajib, especially in cases where pictures may decide the case. The means are subject to the rulings on the ends. If we make these pictures in order to prove the identity of a person for fear that someone else may be accused of the crime, this is also acceptable, indeed it is essential. But if we take these pictures just to enjoy looking at them, this is undoubtedly haraam... And Allaah knows best.” (See Al-Sharh al-Mumti’, 2/197-199)

Abunaaila
08-16-2005, 03:24 AM
As Salaamu Alaikum wa Rahmatu Allah:

As to the fatawa that was shown in the link provided... It seemed to pertain mostly to cinema/tv. No so much speaking on the computer generated. For that which was mentioned by Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (Raheem Allah)

"The first category is those which have no tangible substance (and can only be seen by running them through a machine), as I was told is the case with pictures on video tapes. There is no ruling at all concerning these, and they do not come under the prohibition at all."

Then this for those as he said... "no tangible substance". Wouldn't that be without form?

I don't think this allows still photos such as people or other objects with a ruh that are clear and tangible. Such as those photos of people offering salat or just regular clear photos as would be taken with a camera then transmitted to the computer. These camera photos are not in line with the laws of necessity such as drivers license or passport photos.

Wa Allahu A'lam

If I am wrong, then please correct me.

Barak Allahu Feek

Takumi
08-16-2005, 01:11 PM

Is there any other opinion out there? I'd appreciate it if anyone could do that in the future.

Give all the opinions, and let us choose. ;)

No offence, but scholars are human beings.

Before al baani came around, people used to think that Bukhari and Muslim's collection were THE thing. But then al baani pointed out some hadeeth narrated in Mustadrak are also to the level of that in Bukhari and Muslim.

Thank you for your advice though. Appreciate it.

Muhammad
08-16-2005, 01:18 PM

By all means we should search for all the evidence possible, and therefore we should choose what we believe to be the strongest opinion, not what suits our desires. I am not saying anyone is doing that, but just something to bear in mind when we say "let us choose".

Takumi
08-16-2005, 04:19 PM

You're right. Thank you for that reminder. I really like the way that you don't go ballistic on me.

I've read the opinions of those scholars who have made tasweer permissible, and they also have sound evidences.

Unless, I memorize several thousand ahadeeth and memorize the Quran or take extensive duroos on tafseer or balaghah or fiqh, it's not really my place to refute them, that has already been dealth with those scholars who say, that tasweer is NOT PERMISSIBLE.

Most muslims are like me. Simple and just wanting to worship Allah the best we can. We're not choosing opinions at our whims and fancy, we choose because there are not even a consensus on that matter among the learned.

With all due respect, if one chooses an opinion, we should have good suspicion on him/her. We don't know his heart, do we? :)

Ansar Al-'Adl
08-17-2005, 04:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abunaaila

As to the fatawa that was shown in the link provided... It seemed to pertain mostly to cinema/tv. No so much speaking on the computer generated.
Actually, if you read the reasoning behind it, and the context, he explains that it refers to all images projected by a screen, which have no tangible substance. There is no difference between the images on tv/cinema and those on the computer! They are both screens and images created by lights, and that is the important point here. Therefore, the scholars have accepted digital photos as there is no act of creating a tangible creation. The trouble arises when people read only a few statements of the Ulema and take others out of context.

Then this for those as he said... "no tangible substance". Wouldn't that be without form?
Tangible means something that is physical, that can be touched, not something created temporarily by lights in a screen. And the scholars themselves have made it clear that when they say 'tangible' they do not refer to video screens and monitors.

Our staff will remove any photos that are considered unislamic or inappropriate, but we see no need to remove all avatars.

Abunaaila
08-18-2005, 07:18 AM

Barak Allahu Feek for the clarification. Also I wasn't suggesting that avatars be removed. Just sharing info. And apparently there was something that I wasn't aware of. Hence a benefit that I have obtained. Alhamdulilah.

Takumi
08-18-2005, 12:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abunaaila

Barak Allahu Feek for the clarification. Also I wasn't suggesting that avatars be removed. Just sharing info. And apparently there was something that I wasn't aware of. Hence a benefit that I have obtained. Alhamdulilah.

I really like the way you reacted towards the clarification. I wish more people were like you. Humble and willing to compromise in areas where there's no ultimatum from any authority in the deen.

May Allah grant you the understanding of this deen.

zakariyya khan
09-22-2005, 02:34 AM
it is worth noting that there is a difference of opinion
regarding photographs of animate objects.

drawing pictures of animate object has been explicitly forbidden by
many hadith, this has been interpreted by the Jurist a follows:

Shafi: Imam Nawawi states in sharh Muslim:

Our people and others from amongst the Ulama say, to draw a picture of
an animal is Haram...because it is imitating the creation of
Allah.....if it is hanging on the wall or a peice of cloth that is
worn or on an amaamah (turban)or the like that is not considered
insignificant then it is haram. and if it is on mat that is tread over
or a cushion which is considered insignificant then it is not haram.

Hanafi: Imam Badr ad-Deen 'Ayni has also said things along similar
lines in 'Umdah al-Qari.

Hambali: al-Mawardi states in al-insaf, a book which gives the
preferred opinion of the hambali madhab:

the drawing of a picture with life (Ruh) is Haram and the picture of a
tree or something similar is not haram.

Maliki: there are different narrations from the students of imam Malik:

Allahma Ubbay states in his sharah of Muslim:

there is a difference of opinion in drawing pictures of that which has
no shadow, Ibn Shihab has said it is Makruh in whatever it is drawn on
from walls to clothes etc. and Ibn al-Qasim has said it is permissible
to have pictures on clothes due to the hadith: "except that which is
inscribed on clothes".

the majority of the Ulama respond to this by arguing that "except that
which is inscribed on clothes" refers to inanimate objects, due to the
Hadith of 'Aisha where Prophet tore apart a cloth, which used to cover
the house, which had a picture.

Now, Photographs:

there is a difference of opinion regarding the fact that are photos
the same thing as drawing pictures or not?

So many Scholars have said that they are not the same and it is only a
reflection and therefore have said it is permissible.

other scholars have argued that it is tantamount to drawing a picture
and is therefore haram. for example Muhammad Ali as-Sabooni writes in
Ahkam al-Islam Fi at-tasweer:

because it is a motion picture it dos not mean that it is not a type
of tasweer (picture)....even though it is not explicit in the text, as
it is not a picture drawn by hand and it is not imitating the creation
of Allah, except that it is a type of picture, and therefore we should
suffice with it when it is necessary. END

Permissible at the time of need:

those scholars that deem photography haram allow it when there is a
need, e.g passports etc.

Imam Muhammad Ibn Hasan as-shaybani writes in seer kabir:

if there is a need to use weapons with pictures then there is no problem.

to conclude, it will be better to avoid pictures with people, however
if some that considers it permissible and does it, then one should not
impose ones opinion on thers, if it goes against oneself.
as there is no forbidding the evil in that which there is a dispute to
its true nature in being a vice.

And Allah Knows best.

Al-Abd ad-Daeef

Zakariyya

akulion
09-22-2005, 03:47 AM
:sl: Salam Alaikum
First of all we must understand WHY images are forbidden.

People in the past (and even today) used to make images of their prophets and of their Gods and start worshipping them. Thus it falls into idalotory!
Hence Islam forbade the usage of images inside the house and the drawing of animals and humans.

Some people may say but "we live in the 21st century now man" (as it was put to me by one person.)
I asked, "who is the most advanced nation on this earth currently then?"
His reply was, "The Americans, Japanese and Europeans"
I asked, "Do you not see their ignorance that though we are in the 21st century and they are the most technologically advanced, yet they make statues and paintings of their gods and hang them in their houses and worship places?"
And the guy agreed to what I had said and got his answer Alhamdolillah.

So Islam wants to rid humanity of this type of ignorance. Thus images were forbidden.
The restriction is applied to the following and for reasons stated:

- Drawing or painting of likenesses of animals - Reason: people often used to and still do use this to represent images of 'divine figures' Thus it falls into idalotory!

- Hanging up of pictures / drawings in the houses: Reason: In many cultures this is a practice to have pictures/paintings of loved ones and 'divine figures' on walls - which again represents the practice of the old day pagans who used to set up shrines in their homes to worship their god statues and paintings. Thus it falls into idalotory!
----------------------------------------------
Paintings of Landscapes are allowed.

Pictures fall under a different category since they are "captured REAL impressions" of something which Allah swt has created. However to use pictures for decorative purposes around the house would again fall under the "idalotory" argument.

Usage of Pictures and drawings for educational purposes:

The usage of pictures and drawings (even of animals and humans) is allowed in Islam for educational purposes - We get our evidence for this from earlier Muslim civilizations where Islamic Scientists were foremost amongst the study of marine life, animal life and human anatomy.

Usage of pictures i Passports / ID cards / Driving Licenses:

This usage is also allowed since it is for identification purposes.

------------------

Thus for anyone to say 'conclusively' that ALL pictures are haram would be entirely wrong since then all of our passports and other documents would have to be destroyed since they contain images. Haram is Haram ad only permissible under circumstances where life is threatened (i.e. like the eating of pork when there is no other food at all after a few days)

Hence it is safe and reasonable to say that "The usage of pictures and drawings in Islam is forbidden only when these are used inside the house to decorate the house. But usage of pictures and drawings for the purpose of identification and education is not forbidden"

And Allah knows best!

mehnaz
11-29-2005, 05:14 PM
assalamoalaikum.....

i got the following article as an email...hope it helps clear some of the confusion.....

PHOTOGRAPHY:

This issue is one of the most difficult issues to discuss in our times, because we are literally bombarded with photography, wherever we go and whatever we do. ID's and passports, newpapers, magazines, textbooks, flyers, advertisements, etc. Simply put, even if we hold the opinion that photos are haraam, it is practically impossible to implement this ruling completely. All that we can do is, as Allah says, "Fear Allah as much as you can."

Images can be broadly categorised into:

• 3D images (statues, icons, figurines, sculptures [beings which possess a soul/spirit i.e. humans and animals) :
IJMA of the scholars is that it is prohibited in Islam. 3-D images are completely haram. No Alim allowed 3D images.

• Objects which possess no life e.g. rocks, trees etc are allowed in all prohibited categories.

• 2D images (pictures, drawings, paintings, hand sketches) : The Majority prohibited these kinds of images included the 4 Imams. 2-D hand drawn images are (in the opinion of the vast majority) completely haram as well.

• 1D - Light reflection (mirror, TV) - Majority allowed this image because it's not really an image but the reflection of light. Images which are only reflections and not permanently stored are halaal. The ikhtilaf comes regarding images which have been captured and stored - basically, photos.

• Storing Like Images (photography) - majority have prohibited these types of images!!

There is ikhtilaaf on the last category...some allow it, but most don't. The Sheikh says that in things that have a grey area, ie, where it can be likened to a matter which is surrounded by doubt, then it is best to stay away from it.

WallAhu'Aalam.

&#164; There are two reasons why images in general (and I'm not talking of photos now) are prohibited:
1) They seek to imitate the creation of Allah (which is why on the Day of Judgment those who make images will be challenged by Allah to blow life into those images).
2) In the case of famous people, there is the distinct possibility of it leading to shirk (how many times have you seen a picture of Aga Khan that basically takes the place of an idol in their house or work???). Shirk first occurred when the people of Nuh made images of their pious people.
To this can be added a third fear:
3) In the case of arousing images, obviously these will only lead to more evil.

&#187;&#187; The GOOD NEWS is that, there is a very clear halaal alternative. If one takes digital images, or videotapes them, and then DOES NOT print out these images, but leaves them on the computer or cassette, this will actually be very very similar to a reflected image. The only difference is that this image has been stored. There will be no hard copy which will qualify as a picture; rather, these will be like light rays being given off.

&#187;&#187; There is also the seperate but related issue of angels not entering the house where there are images. For sure, some images stored on a computer and only shown occasionaly on the monitor are not the same as hanging photographs on the wall.

&#187;&#187; Printed photos should be avoided as much as possible, but digital ones and video recordings are fine.

&#187;&#187; Also take care that these images do not come across ghair-mehram. It is advisable for sisters to have their photos taken with their hijab.

And Allah knows best.

FiAmanillah

safwana
11-29-2005, 05:29 PM

acording 2 da ullamah it is haraam? the mufti of pakistan mufti taqi usmani saysit is haram ? if u went 2 learn more da kitab is called fiqhi makalat its in urdu by mufti taqi usmani.

minaz
11-29-2005, 10:16 PM
Ok I think some of you guys whould read this (p.s. this is like 3rd hand source (well i nicked this from brother Kadafi's post :p), but has primary content)

On the image issue, it is completely different for computer screen, read the following:
http://63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=e...&QR=10326&dgn=4
Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said:
With regard to pictures made in the modern fashion, they fall into two categories:

The first category is those which have no tangible substance (and can only be seen by running them through a machine), as I was told is the case with pictures on video tapes. There is no ruling at all concerning these, and they do not come under the prohibition at all. Hence the scholars who forbid making pictures with cameras on paper (photographs) permitted this (video pictures), and said that there is nothing wrong with this. Then it was asked, is it permissible to film lectures which are given in the mosques? The (scholarly) view was that it is better not to do that, because it may disturb the worshippers and because they may film things that may not be appropriate, and so on.

The second category is fixed or still pictures on paper (photographs) …

But the matter needs further discussion if one wants to make these kind of permissible pictures. For they are subject to five rulings which depend on the intention. If the intention is something forbidden, then it is haraam. If he intends something waajib (obligatory), then it is waajib. Sometimes pictures may be essential, especially moving pictures. For example, if we see someone in the act of committing a crime against a person’s rights, such as an attempt to kill and so on, and we cannot prove it in any way but by taking pictures, then in this case taking pictures becomes waajib, especially in cases where pictures may decide the case. The means are subject to the rulings on the ends. If we make these pictures in order to prove the identity of a person for fear that someone else may be accused of the crime, this is also acceptable, indeed it is essential. But if we take these pictures just to enjoy looking at them, this is undoubtedly haraam... And Allaah knows best.” (See Al-Sharh al-Mumti’, 2/197-199)

akulion
12-01-2005, 10:29 AM
Salam Alaikum
well all I have to say is:
What is HARAM is HARAM and does not become HALAL under any circumstances unless The Quran or Hadith give an exception.
Example: Forbidden types of meat and drinks, allowed explicitly in the cases where life is in threat an no other halal foods or drinks are present.

As for pictures..if someone says they are Haram they should destroy their passports, driving licences and idcards since there is no exception according to any hadith or Quranic ayahs on the usage of pictures (if one was to use that argument)
Because no scholar would have a shred of evidence to present to give an "excuse" or "exception clause" to give out of the same hadith and Ayahs they use to forbid usage of images.

So on one hand we have scholars telling us there must be evidence present for something to be haram or halal in the Quran and Sunnah and on the other hand we have those same scholars saying "passport pictures are an exception" well if they are where is this exception stated? I find this very ironic and strange.

Also please note Pictures refered to in hadith are DRAWINGS and PAINTINGS...the camera was not invented back then. And if anyone can deny the importance of the invention of a camera and its useful uses then please turn your TV and computers off because the Television would not be possible to watch without a video camera (same technology at base as still picture camera) and the Computer monitor would not be possible without a TV which was invented first as well. And now only that everything on our monitor is a picture..a graphical representation of data which may include smileys and other such things.

So if anyone is saying all pictures are haram then please do the following and then talk:
- throw TV out the window
- Destroy the computer monitor
- burn your passport, driving license and idcards
and NEVER ever again buy books with pictures in them

The end

~Raindrop~
12-01-2005, 10:57 AM
salaam
this is the ruling i follow:

Photography

Q. What do the Muslim scholars say regarding photography? Some scholars claim that photography of animate objects is permissible as far as Islamic Law is concerned. They claim that photography cannot be described as picture making (Tasweer) which has been banned in the Ahaadeeth of our Holy Prophet sallallahu alayhi wasallam. They further state that a photo is not a picture, but it is a reflection similar to the reflected image in a mirror or in water or on any polished surface. Please can you state in details with proof from authentic sources. May Allah Ta’ala reward you.

A. Regarding picture the Modern English-Arabic Dictionary Al-Mawrid defines ‘picture’ as ‘Soorat’ and the English-Arabic Dictionary Al-Qaamoosul-Asriyya, defines the term ‘picture’ also as ‘Soorat’.

The Oxford Dictionary gives the following definition of the term ‘picture’, as a representation of something produced on a surface by painting or other means. The Readers Digest Great Encyclopaedic Dictionary describes the term, ‘picture’ as follows:

“Painting, drawing of objects especially as work of art e.g. portrait; cinematography picture or film.”

The Modern English-Arabic dictionary, Al-Mawrid, describes the term ‘Photo’ as:

“Photographic picture.”

This Dictionary in describing the term, ‘photo’, states: “He made a picture by means of PHOTOGRAPHY.”

The Oxford Dictionary defines the term ‘photograph’ as follows:

“A picture taken by means of chemical action of lights on a sensitive film.”

The Readers Digest Great Encyclopaedic Dictionary defines ‘photograph’ as follows:

“Picture, likeness, taken by means of the chemical action of light on a sensitive film super imposed (laid) on glass, paper, celluloid, metal, etc.”

The Home University Encyclopaedia defines ‘photography’ as follows: “Photography is the art of preparing a permanent representation of objects by means of light they emit or transmit.”

The aforementioned quotations establish beyond any shadow of doubt that a photograph is a picture, and that photography is in fact a means, a way or a method of producing pictures. It has a also been proven that the Arabic terms, ‘Soorat’ and ‘Tasweer’, means pictures. These are the precise terms used by our Holy Prophet sallallahu alayhi wasallam in the Ahaadeeth prohibiting the practise of picture-making.

The camera is the instrument used for the production of the photo-picture or the photograph as mentioned in the Readers Digest Great Encyclopaedia Dictionary, Encyclopaedia International and the Home University Encyclopaedia.

It must be clearly understood that our Holy Prophet sallallahu alayhi wasallam declared the picture (Tasweer) as unlawful, and not the means of producing the picture. Even during the time of the Holy Prophet sallallahu alayhi wasallam there existed various ways of producing images, but our Holy Prophet sallallahu alayhi wasallam never referred to the method of image-production. The Holy Prophet sallallahu alayhi wasallam directly banned the picture.

According to the Oxford Dictionary, the definition of a photograph is given as: “A picture taken by means of chemical action of light on a sensitive film.”

This same dictionary defines a picture as: “A representation of something produced on a surface by painting or other means.”

From this definition it will emerge that there are various means of producing a picture. It does not follow that a picture ceases to be a picture if the means of production changes from one method to another. The supporters of photography can argue this question from any angle whatsoever, but it will remain as clear as daylight that a photograph is a picture. The only difference in the photo-picture and the painted-picture as far as the definition of the picture goes, is in method of production. But, regardless of this difference in means of production, a picture remains a picture even though it may be labelled any fancy name so as to get out of the confines of Divine Prosecution.

There are a number of reasons and factors which makes the practice of picture-making unlawful (Haraam). These are as follows:

1. The Ahaadeeth of our Holy Prophet sallallahu alayhi wasallam condemns and prohibits

picture-making.

2. Pictures of living creatures are the root cause of idolatry.

3. Imitation of the unbelievers.

4. Imitation of Allah Ta'ala’s creation of life.

5. The Angels of Mercy dislike pictures of animate objects.

6. Pictures divert man’s attention from Allah Ta'ala and the Hereafter.

7. Pictures are a powerful agent for pornography and obscure art.

8. Pictures are a source of pride and arrogance.

9. Pictures causes waste.

10. Allah Ta'ala dislikes pictures of animate objects.

Let me mention some Ahaadeeth from the numerous Ahaadeeth regarding the prohibition of animate objects.

1. Hadhrat Abu Talha radhiyallahu anhu narrates that the Holy Prophet sallallahu alayhi wasallam said: “The Angels do not enter a house wherein there is a dog or pictures.” (Bukhaari and Muslim)

2. Hadhrat Abdullah Ibn Mas’ood radhiyallahu anhu narrates: ‘I heard the Messenger of Allah Ta'ala sallallahu alayhi wasallam saying: “The picture-makers will be punished most severely by Allah Ta'ala.” (Bukhaari and Muslim)

3. Hadhrat Ibn Abbas radhiyallahu anhuma narrates on the authority of Hadhrat Maimoonah radhiyallahu anha: ‘Verily, Rasulullah sallallahu alayhi wasallam arose one morning in a state of distress and he said: “Verily, Jibraeel promised to meet me last night, but he never met me. I take oath by Allah Ta’ala that he never broke a promise with me.”

Rasulullah sallallahu alayhi wasallam then realised that there was a puppy under the bed. He ordered the puppy to be removed, and it was expelled. He then flushed water on the place where the puppy was. During the afternoon Jibraeel met Rasulullah sallallahu alayhi wasallam. The Holy Prophet sallallahu alayhi wasallam then said: “Verily, you promised to meet me last night.” Jibraeel replied: “Yes, but we do not enter a home wherein there is a dog or a picture.”

4. Hadhrat A'ishah radhiyallahu anha narrates: ‘The Messenger of Allah Ta'ala said: “The severest punished persons on the Day of Judgement will be those who imitate the creation of Allah Ta'ala.” (Bukhaari and Muslim)

5. Hadhrat A'ishah radhiyallahu anha narrates: “Verily, the Holy Prophet sallallahu alayhi wasallam did not leave anything in his home which had pictures on it, but broke it.” (Bukhaari)

6. In one narration, Hadhrat Ibn Umar radhiyallahu anhuma narrates: ‘Verily, Rasulullah sallallahu alayhi wasallam said: “Verily, these people who make these pictures will be punished on the Day of Judgement. It will be said unto them. Give life to that which you have created.” (Bukhaari)

7. Hadhrat Abu Zur’ah radhiyallahu anhu said: “I entered with Hadhrat Abu Hurairah radhiyallahu anhu in a house in Madinah, Hadhrat Abu Hurairah radhiyallahu anhu saw on top of the house a picture-maker busy drawing (pictures).

Hadhrat Abu Hurairah radhiyallahu anhu then said: ‘I heard Rasulullah sallallahu alayhi wasallam saying that Allah Ta’ala said: “Who is more unjust than that person who imitates my creation. Let him then create a grain, and let him create an atom.” (Bukhaari)

8. Hadhrat Jaabir radhiyallahu anhu narrates: “Verily the Holy Prophet sallallahu alayhi wasallam commanded Umar radhiyallahu anhu during the period of the Conquest (of Makkah) whilst he was in Bathaa, to go to the Kaabah and destroy every picture.”

Today we are adopting the lifestyle of the Kuffar in the following ways:

1. Acceptance and imitation of an evil practice of the unbelievers.

2. Use of pictorial decorations and adornments.

3. Family snaps, wedding photos, holiday photos, etc. are all exclusive Kuffar practices

which Muslims have adopted.

The Holy Prophet sallallahu alayhi wasallam has said: “Whoever imitates a nation becomes of them.”

Those ‘intelligent’ people who argue that if photography of animate objects be declared unlawful, the image in the mirror should be declared likewise, forbidden. But, since the image in the mirror is lawful, the image on the photograph is also lawful.

This comparison is meaningless to the extreme. It is indeed beyond one’s understanding. How can it be possible for an intelligent person to claim that the photograph is a mere reflection.

1. Firstly, the basic difference between the mirror image and the image on the photograph is; the mirror image is a reflection of the object which stands in its presence. All unbiased and sane people will accept this indisputable fact. On the other hand, the image on the photograph is a permanent picture and not a mere reflection dependant upon the continuous presence of the object for it’s existence.

2. Another difference is that a mirror is an instrument used for an entirely different purpose. At no time has the mirror been responsible for the evil practices of idolatry, pornography, cinema, etc. The image of the mirror does not endure to tell the tale of idolatry and evil. Whereas the photograph can and has led to the greater part of today's vice and immorality.

3. Thirdly, mirrors existed during the time of the Holy Prophet sallallahu alayhi wasallam. Again, the reflected image in water is not a phenomenon of the twenty-first century. All these types of reflected images existed during the time of our Holy Prophet sallallahu alayhi wasallam, but he never condemned them nor branded them as unlawful. On the other hand, the Holy Prophet sallallahu alayhi wasallam condemned and rejected PICTURES of animate objects.

wassalaam

kadafi
12-01-2005, 09:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by akulion
So on one hand we have scholars telling us there must be evidence present for something to be haram or halal in the Quran and Sunnah and on the other hand we have those same scholars saying "passport pictures are an exception" well if they are where is this exception stated? I find this very ironic and strange.

In the Sharee'ah, there is a fundemental principle called daroora meaning necessity. You have mentioned one of the examples of this rule in the first few lines of your post.

This rule thus permits the use of making pictures for ID cards or for any educational purposes.

akulion
12-02-2005, 06:46 AM
Salam Alaikum
Ah thats wonderful brother jazak Allah khair.
I was just very concerned about the usage of pictures for educational purposes in specific because I keep getting remarks on the webpage that you are using pictures of women and men in your clothing section. But quite frankly those are used to show visually what the dress of Muslims looks like.
Also some pictures on the webpage are used for butification of pages so that people are attracted to the page and encouraged to read ad learn (example the butterfly animation on the main page).
So jazak Allah khair for letting me know (roses for u)

libyanhero
12-05-2005, 04:48 AM
I get quite perplexed and confused about this issue but sometimes in my humble opinion all pictures are haram only those required like in passports for necessities

How come the prophet (SAWS) never left a drawing of himself or the companions? isn't this enough to tell us the prophet prohibited such things, its not an easy thing but i guess printed photos would go under image makers

sapphire
12-08-2005, 03:57 PM
true bro...i think the main thing is beacuse people started making pictures and then when the people dies they kept looking at them...then they worshipped the pictures then that made idols...so one thing leads to another.....if u get what i mean.....

*shamz*
01-18-2006, 04:53 PM
in islam is it wrong to draw pics o portraits as to say Allah(SAW) is the only creater bcus i hav been drawing since i was born and still i do????????

Snowflake
01-18-2006, 04:59 PM
aslam alaikum

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503546054

http://youth.ibn.net/qanda3.asp?ID=100

See these links relating to your question.

wa alaikum aslam

- Qatada -
01-18-2006, 05:01 PM
:salamext:

Alot of scholars have different opinions on this, but this is one fatwa:

In The Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

We’d like first to state that there is nothing wrong in drawing as long as the images do not depict nudity or other indecent representations. Also, the picture or image should not be revered or glorified. The detested pictures and images are only those, which are worshiped and revered.

Within these restrictions drawing humans, animals, natural scenes, etc. is permitted. What is prohibited is making a statue or a sculpture of a living being that has shade (depth or three dimensional).

Here, we’d like to cite for you the following Fatwa:

"One may draw pictures of people, animals, etc. as long as they don’t depict anything against Islamic guidelines. It is important to understand that Muslims don't replicate 'images' because they believe that on the Day of Judgment, they will be asked to put a soul in the 'images' they made, challenging Allah’s creation. Also, they don't replicate 'images' believing that the Angels will not enter their houses. This is based on several authentic Hadiths of Prophet Muhammad, peace and blessings be upon him.

However, in the Arabic Language, what we call Sourah or commonly translated as 'image' can mean several things, and in the context of the prohibition, it means a statute or a sculpture of a living being that has shade (depth or three dimensional) and not a photographic picture.

Therefore, while statutes are prohibited, pictures in magazines, televisions, newspapers, books, computers, drawings, etc. are allowed. Such pictures can however be prohibited if they depict nudity or other indecent representations. But even being allowed, they should be done when necessary and not to pass time."

The above Fatwa is excerpted with slight modifications from www.islamicity.com

You can also read:

Fatwa on Photography

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to write back!

May Allah guide you to the straight path, and guide you to that which pleases Him, Amen.

Allah Almighty knows best.

abdul Majid
02-25-2006, 02:21 AM
http://www.islamtomorrow.com

has everything in plain english !! for any subject !! very helpful, inshallah !!

Guli7
03-27-2006, 05:24 AM
I have way too many albums......oh dear.

I used to draw as well. I don't know whether I destroyed them all.

I know that in my family we don't hang pictures on our walls of people...never allowed to.

Then when I go to other really strict muslim family homes, they have family pictures hanging all over the place?

Far7an
03-28-2006, 05:46 PM
:sl: and Greetings,

I have deleted many posts from this thread. I would just to like to remind members to maintain respect when discussing issues.

Alot of the questions were repititions, if you read through the posts you'll fine your questions already answered. For those of you who are still confused about this matter. If you have a sincere question, ask away but in a polite manner.

For those of you who wish to answer a question, please do so in a polite manner without attacking anyone or making innappropriate comments.

Call to the way of your Lord with wisdom and goodly exhortation, and have disputations with them in the best manner; surely your Lord best knows those who go astray from His path, and He knows best those who follow the right way. Surah an-Nahl ayah 125

nimrod
03-29-2006, 03:05 AM
Far7an I was polite and respectful in my posts on this thread. I see they are gone though.

Nimrod

*noor
05-15-2006, 08:03 PM
What does Islam say about Photography??

- Qatada -
05-15-2006, 08:53 PM
:salamext:

http://63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=en...e&QR=365&dgn=4

:wasalamex

*noor
05-15-2006, 11:11 PM
Jazaku Allah brother.

searchingsoul
05-17-2006, 03:04 AM
I first went to the source provided (www.islam-qa.com) thinking I would find a website full of pictures. I was wrong.:statisfie

Is this belief one that all muslims are supposed to abide by? If so, I respect the reason (as outlined in the article). I'm just wondering how the pictures in the avatars and other Islamic websites I've visited can be justified. Thanks!

Malaikah
05-17-2006, 09:15 AM

actually there are 2 opinions on this matter, not all scholars agree that photography is haram:

Question: Why do some scholars claim that photography is unlawful while others consider it lawful?

Answered by the Fatwa Department Research Committee - chaired by Sheikh `Abd al-Wahh&#226;b al-Turayr&#238;

Al-Sal&#226;m `Alaykum wa Rahmah Allah wa Barak&#226;tuh.

Please understand that photography did not exist at the time of the Prophet (peace be upon him). Therefore, scholars have to compare photography to matters that Islam has ruled about. The ruling, therefore, is not based on an explicit text but on juristic discretion (ijtih&#226;d).

Some scholars have compared photography to hand-drawn pictures. Drawing pictures by hand of people and animals is unlawful by clear and unambiguous textual evidence. Ibn `Abb&#226;s relates from the Prophet (peace be upon him): “Whoever makes an image in this world, he will be requested to breathe life into it on the Day of Resurrection, but he will not be able to do it.” [Sah&#238;h al-Bukh&#226;r&#238; and Sahih Mulsim]

Ibn Mas`&#251;d also relates that he heard the Prophet (peace be upon him) say: “The severest penalty on the Day of Resurrection will be given to image makers.” [Sah&#238;h al-Bukh&#226;r&#238; and Sahih Mulsim]

Photography resembles drawing pictures in that it is a human effort that results in a fixed image of a person or an animal on a flat surface. Therefore, some scholars ruled that photographing people and animals is unlawful, because it falls under the prohibited act of image-making.

There are, however, significant differences between drawing a picture and taking a photograph. Drawing a picture is a fully creative process on the part of the artist. Photography is capturing a reflected image on film or in digital memory. The creative contribution of the photographer is therefore quite different than the creative contribution of a portrait maker. For this reason many scholars, including Sheikh `Abd al-Wahh&#226;b al-Turayr&#238;, consider photography to be lawful.

And Allah knows best.
Source

searchingsoul
05-17-2006, 09:17 AM
Thanks cheese!

Z
05-17-2006, 10:22 AM
Salaam.

Technically, you're not really creating anything.

whitemuslimah
05-17-2006, 10:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by nurofislam
What does Islam say about Photography??
http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503545144

Nicola
05-17-2006, 11:02 AM
you may not be the ones creating those images yourself...but if your still using them for what ever reason...it makes you just as guilty IMO..

a theif who robs...and a person who recieves stolen goods is just has guilty and...is also sinning..

Nicola
05-17-2006, 11:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Z
Salaam.

Technically, you're not really creating anything.
but aren't you creating an image? the one who took the photograph.

SirZubair
05-17-2006, 11:09 AM
Some scholors say it is not permitted.

Some say it is permitted.

So as far as i am concerned,..you choose whichever way you want to go.

Dont take any forumers opinion as the .Fullstop.

Muhammad
05-17-2006, 11:10 AM

Threads merged.

*Sonya
05-17-2006, 04:40 PM
assalaamu alaikuum
very important thing to learn it
thnx for sharin wid us
waliykum assalaam

searchingsoul
05-25-2006, 01:30 AM
So there is no general consensus among Muslims regarding pictures? I take it that you can believe whatever you want.

IbnAbdulHakim
05-04-2007, 10:29 AM
assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu

Bismillah

Al-jawab billahi at-taufeeq (the answer with Allah's guidance)

One must get rid of living pictures of the deceased etc. This ruling applies on all pictures of living objects whether they are alive or deceased.

Narrated Aisha (RA):

When the Prophet became ill, some of his wives talked about a church which they had seen in Ethiopia and it was called Mariya. Umm Salma and Umm Habiba had been to Ethiopia, and both of them narrated its (the Church's) beauty and the pictures it contained. The Prophet raised his head and said, "Those are the people who, whenever a pious man dies amongst them, make a place of worship at his grave and then they make those pictures in it. Those are the worst creatures in the Sight of Allah." (Bukhari 2.425)

Narrated Ali ibn AbuTalib (RA):

AbulHayyaj al-Asadi told that Ali ibn AbuTalib said to him: Should I not send you on the same mission as Allah's Messenger sent me? Do not leave an image without obliterating it, or a high grave without levelling it. This hadith has been reported by Habib with the same chain of transmitters and he said: (do not leave) a picture without obliterating it. (Muslim)

Why should pictures not be kept:

It opens the door of idol worship. That is, it will turn into a common custom. There are different level of understanding among the masses so, there is always the possibility of mischief and misuse as indeed, had happened earlier. Those who made icons did not themselves worship them but cast them to keep alive the memory of righteous elders and saints. Finally, it led to idol worship. Therefore, to keep pictures is unlawful even from an angle of reasoning and intelligence. (The wisdom behind the commands of Islam Pg. 350)

It should be remembered that, true memories of a Muslim relative or friend reside in the heart, and One must remember them by praying for mercy and forgiveness for them.

However, if one has kept the picture of their deceased, they will not have any difficulties in the grave. Insha Allah.

And Only Allah Ta'ala Knows Best.

http://www.muftisays.com/qa.php?view...&question=1830

Nabster
05-07-2007, 01:33 PM
is tv a picture? cause on http://askimam.com [which is ahlus sunnah site] they said that a tangible picture is what there is refered to in the Hadeeth, a digital picture 'doesnt exist'

Sure TV is a Picture...moving pictures... but not a tangible on. Maybe if printed on paper it is... tawts?

rania2820
05-07-2007, 01:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Takumi

Before al baani came around, people used to think that Bukhari and Muslim's collection were THE thing. But then al baani pointed out some hadeeth narrated in Mustadrak are also to the level of that in Bukhari and Muslim.

Thank you for your advice though. Appreciate it.
Destroying false claims that al-Albaani agrees with the murji'ah

http://www.salafimanhaj.com/pdf/Sala...mingPearls.pdf

Woodrow
05-07-2007, 01:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nabster
is tv a picture? cause on http://askimam.com [which is ahlus sunnah site] they said that a tangible picture is what there is refered to in the Hadeeth, a digital picture 'doesnt exist'

Sure TV is a Picture...moving pictures... but not a tangible on. Maybe if printed on paper it is... tawts?
Just my opinion. I can not see any difference between looking at a TV picture or looking through a telescope. One you see an image of directed photons, the other is an image of directed electrons. Just my opinion. Astagfirullah

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.