/* */

PDA

View Full Version : NYC Arrests Man for Hezbollah Broadcast

Ninth_Scribe
08-27-2006, 06:03 PM
Law enforcement officials arrested Javed Iqbal, 42, Wednesday morning after a six-month investigation into a small broadcasting company that Mr. Iqbal owns. Mr. Iqbal, a native of Pakistan who is not an American citizen, was charged in U.S. District Court in Manhattan yesterday with conspiring to violate the International Emergency Economic Powers Act.

Mr. Iqbal agreed to sell a satellite television service that could receive al-Manar broadcasts to a government informant who had posed as a customer, court filings unsealed yesterday allege.

In March, the Department of Treasury classified al-Manar, which is controlled by Hezbollah, as a global terrorist entity. The network is based in Beirut and conducts fund-raisers for Hezbollah in addition to broadcasting the terrorist organization's propaganda.

The courts papers suggest there is at least some appetite among New York viewers for the around-the-clock and often anti-Semitic programming. When a government informant sought to buy satellite television service from Mr. Iqbal, the defendant told the informant that 80% of his customers of Lebanese heritage received al-Manar, the court papers allege.

Full story: http://www.nysun.com/article/38557

Will book burning be next?

Ninth Scribe

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Chuck
08-27-2006, 08:39 PM
What happened to our sacred freedom of speech?

ManchesterFolk
08-27-2006, 09:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Chuck
What happened to our sacred freedom of speech?
At least the west has some form of freedom of speach...

QuranStudy
08-27-2006, 09:28 PM
At least the west has some form of freedom of speach...
Apparently not.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muezzin
08-27-2006, 09:29 PM
No such thing as freedom of speech. Not true freedom at least. But then, there never will be true freedom (i.e. allowing anyone to do anything to anyone else) if there is also to be order.

Anyway, such philosophical rambling is off-topic. The guy in question is undergoing due process, and the last time I checked it's innocent until proven guilty when you're in a court of law.

ManchesterFolk
08-27-2006, 09:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by QuranStudy
Apparently not.
You obviously did not read the part where I wrote "some form"...

Can you tell me about the freedom of speach laws in the Arab world, this ought to be fun.

Look at the rest of the world and critisize the same.

Muezzin
08-27-2006, 09:36 PM
Peace!

Or I'll have to get my Mod Stick out of storage and hit people with it.

In a virtual sense of course.

Seriously, before anything happens, let's just remember not to attack each other personally here, okay?

ManchesterFolk
08-27-2006, 09:38 PM
Or I'll have to get my Mod Stick out of storage and hit people with it.

In a virtual sense of course.
Yes sir!

lol, will that hurt? :p

QuranStudy
08-27-2006, 09:49 PM
Can you tell me about the freedom of speach laws in the Arab world, this ought to be fun.
Blasting the Holocaust. Something the West hasn’t allowed freedom for yet :D

Look at the rest of the world and critisize the same.
I’d rather have my liberties restricted for the sake of upholding morals and reducing crime.

ManchesterFolk
08-27-2006, 09:50 PM
Blasting the Holocaust. Something the West hasn’t allowed freedom for yet
Oh really? Tell me how many countries do not allow Holocaust denial in the west. Then tell me how many do. 99% of western countries have no law against that. So your logic is in fact utterly wrong.

QuranStudy
08-27-2006, 09:53 PM
Tell me how many countries do not allow Holocaust denial in the west. Then tell me how many do. 99% of western countries have no law against that. So your logic is in fact utterly wrong.
99%? LMAO! I think google will help you immensely.

Muezzin
08-27-2006, 09:54 PM
I feel that discussion of holocaust denial would start a tangent that will drive this particular thread off-topic. Therefore, I ask that members kindly discuss that subject in a separate thread.

ManchesterFolk
08-27-2006, 09:55 PM
Now back on topic. I believe the west does not violate freedom of speech as much as the Middle Eastern countries do.

Ninth_Scribe
08-27-2006, 11:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ManchesterFolk
Now back on topic. I believe the west does not violate freedom of speech as much as the Middle Eastern countries do.
Manchester Folk,

This arrest is in direct violation of the code they supposedly used to make the arrest. Allow me to skip all the boring legal bits:

The authority granted to the President by this section does not include the authority to regulate or prohibit, directly or indirectly -

(1) - skipping this
(2) - skipping this

(3) the importation from any country, or the exportation to any country, whether commercial or otherwise, regardless of format or medium of transmission, of any information or informational materials, including but not limited to, publications, films, posters, phonograph records, photographs, microfilms, microfiche, tapes, compact disks, CD ROMs, artworks, and news wire feeds.

Source: International Emergency Economic Powers Act (“IEEPA”)
UNITED STATES CODE
TITLE 50. WAR AND NATIONAL DEFENSE
CHAPTER 35. INTERNATIONAL EMERGENCY ECONOMIC POWERS

Sec. 1701. Unusual and extraordinary threat; declaration of national emergency; exercise of
Presidential authorities

http://www.treasury.gov/offices/enfo...utes/ieepa.pdf

Ninth Scribe

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.