/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Caffeine - Good or Bad for your body

Najiullah
08-28-2006, 01:51 PM
Every couple of weeks you hear or read a news article about how too much caffeine is bad for you. But then you read another article explaining that caffeine has never been linked to any cancers.

"Studies on caffeine discount any risk of cancer. A major report from the American Institute for Cancer Research, based on numerous studies, concluded that coffee has no link to cancer risk."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6631177

You hear claims and people rebuking those claims. The very same MSNBC article goes on to explain that caffeine raises blood pressure. But the British Heart Foundation had this to say about caffeine and blood pressure.

"Studies to date suggest that coffee does not cause high blood pressure. There is some evidence that people with hypertension (high blood pressure), who drink coffee and caffeine during stress might cause a slight rise in blood pressure. However, the majority of the suggests that coffee does not cause high blood pressure."

http://www.bhf.org.uk/questions/inde...evel=1327#6188

Here is another claim of a study...

"In 1987 the US Food and Drug Administration found no evidence that normal caffeine intake produced any increased risk to health. The American Medical Association came to a similar conclusion in relation to the health and safety of drinking coffee. Two studies in Norway and Hawaii found no relationship between coffee intake and cancer risk, confirming the stance of the American Cancer Society that there does not seem to be any relationship between caffeine and cancer."

http://www.pp.okstate.edu/ehs/kopykit/caffeine.htm

So as Jerry Seinfeld would say, "Whats the deal with Caffeine. They say its a drug, it makes me feel as though Im on a drug, is it good for your body?" What is the truth behind one of the most commonly used drug since humans have been around.

"In the 15th century the Sufis of Yemen used coffee to stay awake during prayers. In the 16th century there were coffee houses in Istanbul, Cairo and Mecca, and in 1573 coffee was introduced to the Europeans. Tea was introduced later in 1657 and became very popular. Even later milk chocolate was introduced into Switzerland in 1876, near the end of the 19th century cola products started to appear around the world. [5]

In 1819, relatively pure caffeine was isolated for the first time by the German chemist Friedrich Ferdinand Runge. According to the legend, he did this at the instigation of Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (Weinberg & Bealer 2001).

As of today, global consumption of caffeine has been estimated to be 120,000 tonnes per annum.[4] This number equates to one serving of one caffeine oriented beverage per person on the planet per day."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffein...f_caffeine_use

Is it safe to drink a lot of coffee, or take caffeine pills if you are a healthy individual? What are everyones thoughts on this topic?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Najiullah
08-28-2006, 07:23 PM
What is Caffeine?
Caffeine is known medically as trimethylxanthine, and the chemical formula is C8H10N4O2 (see Erowid: Caffeine Chemistry for an image of the molecular structure). When isolated in pure form, caffeine is a white crystalline powder that tastes very bitter. The chief source of pure caffeine is the process of decaffeinating coffee and tea.
Medically, caffeine is useful as a cardiac stimulant and also as a mild diuretic (it increases urine production). Recreationally, it is used to provide a "boost of energy" or a feeling of heightened alertness. It's often used to stay awake longer -- college students and drivers use it to stay awake late into the night. Many people feel as though they "cannot function" in the morning without a cup of coffee to provide caffeine and the boost it gives them.

Caffeine is an addictive drug. Among its many actions, it operates using the same mechanisms that amphetamines, cocaine, and heroin use to stimulate the brain. On a spectrum, caffeine's effects are more mild than amphetamines, cocaine and heroin, but it is manipulating the same channels, and that is one of the things that gives caffeine its addictive qualities. If you feel like you cannot function without it and must consume it every day, then you are addicted to caffeine.

Mujahidah4Allah
08-28-2006, 07:24 PM
:sl:

shukran for the info bro... i dont like coffee so much but only at times.. i'll stay off more :) once again shukran for the info :)

ma'salamah

Kittygyal
08-28-2006, 07:26 PM
salam.

oh no i love Coffee to bit specially when am down.anyway ta for the info

w.salam

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Najiullah
08-28-2006, 07:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by hyper~gal

shukran for the info bro... i dont like coffee so much but only at times.. i'll stay off more :) once again shukran for the info :)

ma'salamah

sis who told u caffine is only in coffee :)

its also in tea , coke , pepsi .......................so many dirnks and food products.

http://www.dietsite.com/dt/Nutrition...ectedFoods.asp

Mujahidah4Allah
08-28-2006, 07:40 PM

i know i stated coffee because its omething i drink oh yeah forgot tea, i dont feel so much of an effent , i dont like coke but wen i'm offered i just drink it n next thing you know i'm hyper [imagine on the streets a hyper niqaabi lol] anyways i'll check out the link inshaAllah shukran :)

ma'salamah

Najiullah
08-28-2006, 10:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by hyper~gal

i know i stated coffee because its omething i drink oh yeah forgot tea, i dont feel so much of an effent , i dont like coke but wen i'm offered i just drink it n next thing you know i'm hyper [imagine on the streets a hyper niqaabi lol] anyways i'll check out the link inshaAllah shukran :)

ma'salamah
hahah ok sis
i think caffeine is good :)

Mujahidah4Allah
08-30-2006, 01:45 PM
yeh caffeines ok but not for kids they go too hyper :s not that i give things like that to kids but i've seen others lol[wateva not me] D

ma'salamah

Snowflake
08-31-2006, 10:12 AM
I'm of the opinion that as long as something is taken in moderation, it can be beneficial rather than harmful. I believe caffeine is only harmful if consumed in large quantities because it's effect on the body is intensified resulting in harmful side effects. Think about how vitamin A is needed for various health benefits, yet excessive amounts can be toxic.

So don't worry caffeine isn't all bad. It can help prevent cancer of the colon and probably Alheimerz. And also help save lives by keeping tired motorists awake :P Just remember everything in moderation. :)

That reminds me, I have a can of Red Bull waiting in the fridge! CHEERS! :thumbs_up

Najiullah
09-02-2006, 02:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
I'm of the opinion that as long as something is taken in moderation, it can be beneficial rather than harmful. I believe caffeine is only harmful if consumed in large quantities because it's effect on the body is intensified resulting in harmful side effects. Think about how vitamin A is needed for various health benefits, yet excessive amounts can be toxic.

So don't worry caffeine isn't all bad. It can help prevent cancer of the colon and probably Alheimerz. And also help save lives by keeping tired motorists awake :P Just remember everything in moderation. :)

That reminds me, I have a can of Red Bull waiting in the fridge! CHEERS! :thumbs_up
i agree with yaa sis :)

duke
09-02-2006, 03:17 AM
c'mon....isn't caffeine stay us sharp and awake? (sorry...i love coffee so badly :lol:)

doodlebug
09-02-2006, 03:54 AM
:) my kids know not to even attempt a plea with me before my first cup of java

:D

I have seen studies on the news that say that coffee is actually a really good anti-oxidant.

Shay
09-06-2006, 02:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by doodlebug

I have seen studies on the news that say that coffee is actually a really good anti-oxidant.
My fitness instructor tells me the same thing!

Like everything, its all about moderation.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.