/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Kidnapped Fox journalists convert to Islam on video, to be spared of death; released

QuranStudy
08-28-2006, 02:06 PM
GAZA (Reuters) - Two kidnapped Fox journalists appeared on a new videotape released by their captors on Sunday in the Gaza Strip, in which the reporters said they had converted to Islam, the Fox News Channel said.

Palestinian Interior Minister Saeed Seyam said efforts were under way to secure within hours the release of Fox correspondent Steve Centanni, a 60-year-old American, and New Zealand-born cameraman Olaf Wiig, 36.

Both journalists appeared to be in good health in the new video. They were seized on August 14.

They were shown separately sitting cross-legged, reading a statement which Fox said was an announcement that they had converted to Islam. At times in the video they were wearing long Muslim robes.

Wiig called on leaders of the West to stop "hiding behind the 'I don't negotiate with terrorists' myth". He then read some words in Arabic.

"The issue of the two kidnapped journalists is on the way to being resolved," Seyam told Reuters. "Efforts are under way with several parties to secure their release within the coming hours."

The previously unknown Holy Jihad Brigades claimed responsibility on Wednesday for the kidnapping and had warned the United States to free Muslim prisoners or the captives would face unspecified consequences. The deadline expired on Saturday.

The United States has said it would not make "concessions to terrorists".

A videotape released on Wednesday showed the two men, dressed in tracksuits, sitting on a blanket in front of a black background. They appeared fairly relaxed and in good health. Both said that they were fine and being treated well.

The kidnapping is the longest-lasting abduction of foreigners in the Palestinian coastal strip in more than a year.

© Reuters 2006. All Rights Reserved.
http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...src=rss&rpc=22

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
QuranStudy
08-28-2006, 06:37 PM
It's interesting that the converted to Islam after being kidnapped. The similar case was with Yvonne Ridley and the Taliban.

Ghazi
08-28-2006, 06:39 PM
:sl:

Hope they were sincire also I hope this wasn't a forced conversion.

therebbe
08-28-2006, 06:43 PM
They have already said that they were forced at gunpoint to convert to islam and have renounced it. I guess the 'Holy Jihad' like to force conversion even though it is supposidly against the Quran to do so.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
QuranStudy
08-28-2006, 06:55 PM
They have already said that they were forced at gunpoint to convert to islam and have renounced it. I guess the 'Holy Jihad' like to force conversion even though it is supposidly against the Quran to do so.
Can you provide a source to verify this? If this is true, then such a deed is indeed despicable. Forced conversion are always futile.

QuranStudy
08-28-2006, 06:55 PM
A videotape released on Wednesday showed the two men, dressed in tracksuits, sitting on a blanket in front of a black background. They appeared fairly relaxed and in good health. Both said that they were fine and being treated well.

Ghazi
08-28-2006, 06:57 PM

'Holy Jihad'
I guess your wrong, Forced Conversion Aint a part of Islam and also I suggest you read up on jihad cause from what you said you don't understand the term it's not just Qitaal(Fighting).

QuranStudy
08-28-2006, 07:03 PM
A very similar case:

If you were being interrogated by the Taleban as a suspected US spy, it might be hard to imagine a happy ending.

But for journalist Yvonne Ridley, the ordeal in Afghanistan led her to convert to a religion she says is "the biggest and best family in the world".

The formerly hard-drinking Sunday school teacher became a Muslim after reading the Koran on her release.

She now describes radical cleric Abu Hamza al-Masri as "quite sweet really" and says the Taleban have suffered an unfair press.

Working as a reporter for the Sunday Express in September 2001, Ridley was smuggled from Pakistan across the Afghan border.

But her cover was blown when she fell off her donkey in front of a Taleban soldier near Jalalabad, revealing a banned camera underneath her robes.

Her first thought as the furious young man came running towards her?

"Wow - you're gorgeous," she says.

"He had those amazing green eyes that are peculiar to that region of Afghanistan and a beard with a life of its own.

"But fear quickly took over. I did see him again on my way to Pakistan after my release and he waved at me from his car."

Ridley was interrogated for 10 days without being allowed a phone call, and missed her daughter Daisy's ninth birthday.

Of the Taleban, Ridley says: "I couldn't support what they did or believed in, but they were demonised beyond recognition, because you can't drop bombs on nice people."

It has been suggested the 46-year-old is a victim of Stockholm Syndrome, in which hostages take the side of the hostage-takers.

But she says: "I was horrible to my captors. I spat at them and was rude and refused to eat. It wasn't until I was freed that I became interested in Islam."

'Flappy knickers'

Indeed, the Taleban deputy foreign minister was called in when Ridley refused to take her underwear down from the prison washing line, which was in view of soldier's quarters.

"He said, 'Look, if they see those things they will have impure thoughts'."

"Afghanistan was about to be bombed by the richest country in the world and all they were concerned about was my big, flappy, black knickers.

"I realised the US doesn't have to bomb the Taleban - just fly in a regiment of women waving their underwear and they will all run off."

Once she was back in the UK, Ridley turned to the Koran as part of her attempt to understand her experience.

"I was absolutely blown away by what I was reading - not one dot or squiggle had been changed in 1,400 years.

"I have joined what I consider to be the biggest and best family in the world. When we stick together we are absolutely invincible."

What do her Church of England parents in County Durham make of her new family?

"Initially the reaction of my family and friends was one of horror, but now they can all see how much happier, healthier and fulfilled I am.

"And my mother is delighted I've stopped drinking."

What does Ridley feel about the place of women in Islam?

"There are oppressed women in Muslim countries, but I can take you up the side streets of Tyneside and show you oppressed women there.

"Oppression is cultural, it is not Islamic. The Koran makes it crystal clear that women are equal."

And her new Muslim dress is empowering, she says.

"How liberating is it to be judged for your mind and not the size of your bust or length of your legs."

A single mother who has been married three times, she says Islam has freed her from worry over her love life.

"I no longer sit and wait by the phone for a man to ring and I haven't been stood up for months.

"I have no man stress. For the first time since my teens I don't have that pressure to have a boyfriend or husband."

But there has been a phone call from at least one male admirer - north London preacher Abu Hamza al-Masri.

"He said, 'Sister Yvonne, welcome to Islam, congratulations'.

"I explained I hadn't yet taken my final vows and he said, 'Don't be pressured or pushed, the whole community is there for you if you need any help, just call one of the sisters.'

'Straight to hellfire'

"I thought, I can't believe it, this is the fire and brimstone cleric from Finsbury Park mosque and he is quite sweet really.

"I was just about to hang up when he said, 'But there is just one thing I want you to remember. Tomorrow, if you have an accident and die, you will go straight to hellfire'.

"I was so scared that I carried a copy of the vows in my purse until my final conversion last June."

And the hardest part of her new life?

"Praying five times a day. And I am still struggling to give up cigarettes."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...3673730.stm?ls

Yvonne Ridley is still a Muslim Mashallah :)

Trumble
08-28-2006, 07:05 PM
Erm.. it isn't remotely similar.

format_quote Originally Posted by QuranStudy
It's interesting that the converted to Islam after being kidnapped.
They didn't. Not willingly, anyway. The story says

Two kidnapped Fox journalists appeared on a new videotape released by their captors on Sunday in the Gaza Strip, in which the reporters said they had converted to Islam, the Fox News Channel said.
Here's your Source

"We were forced to convert to Islam at gunpoint," Steve Centanni, an American reporter for the US Fox News television network told CNN by telephone from Gaza City Sunday.

"I have the highest respect for Islam, but it was something we felt we had to do because they had the guns and we didn't know what the hell was going on," he said.

I don't think that leaves much room for doubt. Perhaps it's the kidnappers who should be doing the reading up on Jihaad?!

QuranStudy
08-28-2006, 07:14 PM
They didn't. Not willingly, anyway. The story says
Two different stories from two different credible sources. If what you say is true, then it's a despicable act indeed. Only time will tell when we see if they "deconvert."

Trumble
08-28-2006, 07:41 PM
Two different stories from two different credible sources. If what you say is true, then it's a despicable act indeed. Only time will tell when we see if they "deconvert."
I would have thought Centanni's statement rather implies they already have.

There is no contradiction between the two stories. The Reuters one states the facts available to them at the time, and rightly makes no attempt to judge whether the 'conversion' was forced or not. They didn't know.

The AFP story on Google contains vital additional information, the comments of the reporters themselves, which make it quite clear that the 'conversion' was forced at gunpoint.

QuranStudy
08-28-2006, 07:45 PM
There is no contradiction between the two stories. The Reuters one states the facts available to them at the time, and rightly makes no attempt to judge whether the 'conversion' was forced or not. They didn't know.
The reuters source claims the captives were treated humanely (see post #6).
Your souce claims the contrary.

therebbe
08-28-2006, 07:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth

I guess your wrong, Forced Conversion Aint a part of Islam and also I suggest you read up on jihad cause from what you said you don't understand the term it's not just Qitaal(Fighting).
Alright hmmm... where to begin.

• I first said that forced conversions are not a part of Islam, which you then replied that forced conversions are not a part of islam and I don't understand. :-\
  • Then you fail to understand that the name of the group that kidnaped the reporters were called "Holy Jihad brigade" so maybe they need to learn about Jihad... :-\

How about reading my post before responding to it, is that to hard to ask?

QuranStudy
08-28-2006, 07:48 PM
Is the 'Holy Jihad Brigade" affiliated with Hamas?

therebbe
08-28-2006, 07:49 PM
Is the 'Holy Jihad Brigade" affiliated with Hamas?
No I believe it is a splinter group, that broke off from a right wing element of hamas.

Trumble
08-28-2006, 08:20 PM
The reuters source claims the captives were treated humanely (see post #6).
Your souce claims the contrary.
It says that they appeared to be in good health, and that they said they had been treated well. We must assume they said that under the same conditions under which they "converted"; at gunpoint. Even if we don't, in their position what would you have said?!

Muezzin
08-28-2006, 08:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
It says that they appeared to be in good health, and that they said they had been treated well. We must assume they said that under the same conditions under which they "converted"; at gunpoint. Even if we don't, in their position what would you have said?!
Want a chocolate?

I kid.

Joe98
08-28-2006, 11:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by therebbe
.....forced conversions are not a part of Islam

The kidnappers could not be Muslims because Muslims wouldn't do that.

Considering the kidnappers are not Muslims the victims would not be given the Koran and therefore could not convert to Islam.

I'ts all logical!

Md Mashud
08-28-2006, 11:45 PM
I hope all non-believers get kidnapped in hope they convert :D.

No don't see it as evil act - To me its like giving you heaven!

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-28-2006, 11:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Want a chocolate?
LOL! oh God u crack me up..

therebbe
08-29-2006, 01:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Joe98
The kidnappers could not be Muslims because Muslims wouldn't do that.

Considering the kidnappers are not Muslims the victims would not be given the Koran and therefore could not convert to Islam.

I'ts all logical!
:giggling: Joe, your the man.

therebbe
08-29-2006, 01:08 AM
Freed hostages say they were forced to convert to Islam

28 August 2006
Palestinian gunmen have released two Fox News television journalists kidnapped 13 days earlier, bringing to an end the longest-running case involving foreign hostages in the Gaza Strip.

The pair, Steve Centanni, 60, an American correspondent, and Olaf Wiig, 36, a freelance New Zealand cameraman, said they were in good shape and happy to be free. They were later driven to Israel after meeting Ishmail Haniyeh, the Palestinian Prime Minister, in Gaza. The kidnappers, who called themselves the Holy Jihad Brigades, had previously demanded the release of all Muslims imprisoned in the US.

Mr Haniyeh denied that the kidnappers had links to al-Qa'ida or any other foreign militants. Palestinian security officials said they had known the identity of the kidnappers from the start. The Popular Resistance Committees, an alliance of Palestinian fighters, claimed to have mediated the journalists' release.

Mr Centanni said their ordeal ended with their forced conversion to Islam at gunpoint. "It was something we felt we had to do because they had the guns and we didn't know what the hell was going on," he said.

After being ambushed in a side street on 14 August, they were blindfolded and handcuffed and driven from place to place in a series of vans. "That night, we were put in the back seat of a Volkswagen, blindfolded, our heads pushed down between our knees so that we couldn't see where we were going and drove about 10 minutes," he said. "Then we heard a garage door rattling open. We were taken out of the car with our hands handcuffed behind us and herded into this garage."

Later the men were questioned about previous assignments in Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan, and then ordered to write their "life stories". Mr Centanni said they had made a number of videotapes, though the only one they made willingly was the one telling family and friends they were alive and well.

At a press conference, Mr Centanni said: "I hope that this never scares a single journalist away from coming to Gaza to cover the story because the Palestinian people are very beautiful and kind-hearted."

Earlier before dawn yesterday, an Israeli air strike wounded two Palestinian journalists working for the Reuters news agency near Gaza City. One of them, Sabbah Hmaida, was seriously wounded in the legs. The other, Fadel Shana, suffered shrapnel wounds to his right hand and leg.

The Foreign Press Association condemned the "outrageous targeting" of the armour-plated vehicle, which it said was clearly marked on all sides. The vehicle, it added, has been authorised by the Israelis to operate in the Gaza Strip.

Captain Noa Meir, a military spokeswoman, denied that Israel had deliberately targeted the media. Soldiers had been searching for hidden weapons in what she described as a "sensitive operation".

"The vehicle was spotted next to the force," she said. "It wasn't identified as a TV vehicle. This was a combat zone, where anti-tank rockets have been fired at us in the past."

Ten minutes later, she said, two Hamas gunmen were killed as they were about to fire a rocket-propelled grenade at Israeli forces.

* A key US legislator has said he would block aid that President George Bush promised Lebanon and free the funds only when Beirut agreed to the deployment of international troops on the border with Syria. "The international community must use all our available means to stiffen Lebanon's spine and to convince the government of Lebanon to have the new Unifil troops on the Syrian border in adequate numbers," said Tom Lantos, of the US House of Representatives' International Relations Committee. Mr Lantos said he was putting a legislative hold on Mr Bush's proposal to provide $230m (£122m) in aid for Lebanon. "It is very much my hope that I will be able to lift the hold when the reasons will no longer be present," he said.

Meanwhile four children were wounded yesterday when an unexploded Israeli cluster bomb went off while they were playing in southern Lebanon. One, five-year-old Abbas Youssef Abbas, was in a critical condition.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/ne...p?story=704172

Woodrow
08-29-2006, 06:20 AM
Very interesting article one paragraph struck me as quite informative although it seem of topic for the article.
A key US legislator has said he would block aid that President George Bush promised Lebanon and free the funds only when Beirut agreed to the deployment of international troops on the border with Syria. "The international community must use all our available means to stiffen Lebanon's spine and to convince the government of Lebanon to have the new Unifil troops on the Syrian border in adequate numbers," said Tom Lantos, of the US House of Representatives' International Relations Committee. Mr Lantos said he was putting a legislative hold on Mr Bush's proposal to provide $230m (£122m) in aid for Lebanon. "It is very much my hope that I will be able to lift the hold whenthe reasons will no longer be present," he said.

north_malaysian
08-29-2006, 08:11 AM
I've heard it too...... Steve Centanni said he has highest respect for Islam and have no intention to mock Islam. But because, they WERE FORCED to renounce Islam at a gunpoint ... they did it .... and of course now they clarified that they dont really convert to Islam.

Shame on those kidnappers for MOCKING ISLAM by forcing those people to be Muslim.

"LA IKRAHA FIDDIN"

Trumble
08-29-2006, 08:16 AM
A key US legislator has said he would block aid that President George Bush promised Lebanon and free the funds only when Beirut agreed to the deployment of international troops on the border with Syria. "The international community must use all our available means to stiffen Lebanon's spine and to convince the government of Lebanon to have the new Unifil troops on the Syrian border in adequate numbers
I had thought it was the Syrians who had big issues with that, not the Lebanese?

lavikor201
08-29-2006, 02:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
I had thought it was the Syrians who had big issues with that, not the Lebanese?
The Leabnese are the puppets of the Syrians and Iranians so whenever Iran has a problem his proxy will as well.

afriend
08-29-2006, 05:59 PM
This was sick......Terrible how 'Muslims' could sink so low.

'There is no compulsion in religion' [Surah Baqarah, 3rd juz, after ayatul kursi]

Abdul Fattah
08-30-2006, 01:53 PM
Israelian state kidnaps reporters:

http://brasscheck.com/videos/middleeast/me1.html

glo
08-30-2006, 08:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Md Mashud

But you cannot give somebody heaven - unless they are willing and ready to accept it!
Conversion comes from opening your heart to God - not from being threatened/ coerced/ tricked into it. :rollseyes
Without true submission and love for God, there is not commitment, and it is all meaningless.

No true follower of God would consider applying such tactics! :heated:

Peace.

Rou
08-30-2006, 09:00 PM
the ignorant do many things that does not make them islamic it makes them jokers...

Joe98
08-31-2006, 07:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rou
the ignorant do many things that does not make them islamic it makes them jokers...
No, it makes them Islamic jokers :)

Muezzin
08-31-2006, 08:38 AM
No, I'm an Islamic joker.

Someone who forces a conversion at gunpoint is commonly called a 'moron'. :)

AvarAllahNoor
08-31-2006, 08:52 AM
It's interesting that the converted to Islam after being kidnapped. The similar case was with Yvonne Ridley and the Taliban.
It's a condtion called 'Stockholm Syndrome' it's where victims became emotionally attached to their victimizers, and even defended their captors!

AvarAllahNoor
08-31-2006, 08:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Md Mashud

Bring it oooon boi!! - You'd never convert me, even if you threatened me with death!

Jayda
08-31-2006, 02:54 PM
Did anybody read Jill Carrol's story?

QuranStudy
08-31-2006, 03:56 PM
It's a condtion called 'Stockholm Syndrome' it's where victims became emotionally attached to their victimizers, and even defended their captors!
However, she has denied suggestions that her conversion resulted from the Stockholm syndrome, claiming that "I was horrible to my captors. I spat at them and was rude and refused to eat. It wasn't until I was freed that I became interested in Islam.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_Syndrome

Bring it oooon boi!! - You'd never convert me, even if you threatened me with death!
LOL, a blind man never regains sight.

Did anybody read Jill Carrol's story?

Jayda
08-31-2006, 03:58 PM
sorry i dont understand your response...

Rou
08-31-2006, 05:18 PM
no my friend wether it be an american or a iraqi a guy pointing a gun at another and forcing them to change religon is a joker...

not a islamic one nor a christian one nor a jewish one...

just a joker...

AvarAllahNoor
08-31-2006, 08:05 PM

He does if he goes to Specsavers.....

Your religion could not give me anything that i don't already have and much more!

AvarAllahNoor
08-31-2006, 08:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jayda
sorry i dont understand your response...
As long as he's amused himself, that's the main thing, eh Jayda! ;D

Jayda
08-31-2006, 08:07 PM
i think that picture is really disturbing...

AvarAllahNoor
08-31-2006, 08:23 PM
i think that picture is really disturbing...
My ceremonial sword?!? :(

Jayda
08-31-2006, 08:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor
My ceremonial sword?!? :(
i mean the one that quranstudy posted... of the strange mans face with a large cut... it is very disturbing...

AvarAllahNoor
08-31-2006, 08:26 PM
i mean the one that quranstudy posted... of the strange mans face with a large cut... it is very disturbing...
It fits in with his personality....

Jayda
08-31-2006, 08:37 PM
That is not true physically or figuratively...

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-31-2006, 10:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor
Yvonne Ridley promised that she would read the Quran when she got home. She only read it to keep her promise. She became Muslim because she realized its beauty. Why would she get emotionally attached when she was completely frightened.

QuranStudy
09-01-2006, 04:33 AM
He does if he goes to Specsavers.....

Your religion could not give me anything that i don't already have and much more!
LOL, okay w/e you say :rollseyes

That is not true physically or figuratively...
"Never" as in "never naturally." Just like a son can never be 2 years older than his father (as told in Bible).

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.