PDA

View Full Version : Cost of Muslim marriage in your country?



soulsociety
08-28-2006, 09:12 PM
:sl:

In the UK it can cost £10,000 (hall hire, 3 course food for 500 people, mahr, jewellery...). This is a typical amount, not extravagent but not minimal either.

In Algeria I was told £5000.

I'd like to know how much it is in Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, Turkey?

As well as US and where ever you are that I haven't mentioned?

Jazakallahkhairan.
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Durrah
08-28-2006, 10:06 PM
:sl:

Cost of marriage U.K= £££££££&#163 ;&# 163;£££££

I know back home, camels are usually traded as the mahr, their worth something later on. Thats if they dont die in the drought/famine.

Anyways forget the big meals, fancy halls, dress, 3 course meals etc..that stuff is just too expensive and a waste of money, especially in the west. 9 times out of ten, its all done for show and mainly due to relatives who want a fab day out, but who are not the unfortaunate poor souls who have to cough up for it all.

I'd rather just get my flipping marriage certifcate and go a nice long vacation somewhere nice and warm (prefabaly with quiet beaches nearby).

If eloping was halal, i'd say that would be a better option for young muslims today. lol.
Reply

Umm Yoosuf
08-28-2006, 10:24 PM
:sl:

Subhan Allah!

Extravagant or what :offended:
Reply

soulsociety
08-28-2006, 11:02 PM
:sl:

... Can we have cost estimates?
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
Md Mashud
08-28-2006, 11:03 PM
Around £20,000
Reply

lolwatever
08-28-2006, 11:06 PM
^^ whattt?!?!?! tha'ts like 35K USD !!! :offended:

are you serious ppl pay that much! wat do u get with that package like srsly??

ps: loool at Durrah's last 2lines :p there's a halal alternative, don't waste so much money over a wedding ;)

pps: there's one wedding apparently they paid 5K to get a dvd done 4 them and all, i swear i wouldnt even pay 100 bux for that, just make ur own film lol! and its not like the product they got was crash hot anyway.. it was a 'bronze package'.

i could buy a brand new double story house with 35K USD no joke lol...
Reply

soulsociety
08-28-2006, 11:22 PM
Originally Posted by Md Mashud
Around £20,000
:sl:

Which country?
Reply

Md Mashud
08-28-2006, 11:43 PM
England.
Reply

Dahir
08-29-2006, 12:51 AM
Whoa! UK folk are shelling out $35k for weddings??

$5k gets the job done here in the US. I'm not sure about "Muslim" marriage and how it differs from typical Western themes - except no rings, priests, free-mixing.

If you wanted totally organic, old-school type Islamic wedding, it would cost no more than $2k.

Wow, $35k, what does the UK offer for weddings that I don't know about?? :D
Reply

syilla
08-29-2006, 02:09 AM
In malaysia...

usually they give rm7,000 minimum to the girl

rm3,000 for the girls walimah...(depends sometimes they use their own money)

rm3,000 for the guys walimah...

rm3,000 for gifts and dresses

so total is about rm15,000

this is the minimum and usual cost...

but for the islamic parents...they don't care so much about the walimah and gifts...they do it as simple as possible...
Reply

north_malaysian
08-29-2006, 08:56 AM
Originally Posted by syilla
In malaysia...

usually they give rm7,000 minimum to the girl

rm3,000 for the girls walimah...(depends sometimes they use their own money)

rm3,000 for the guys walimah...

rm3,000 for gifts and dresses

so total is about rm15,000

this is the minimum and usual cost...

but for the islamic parents...they don't care so much about the walimah and gifts...they do it as simple as possible...
For Penang Island

For the bride (mahr and wedding expenses) - minimum RM10,000

For the food (groom's feast) - minimum RM10,000 (for 1,000 'hidang', a 'hidang' serves 4 guests - it'll be 4,000 guests)

For the food (bride's feast) - minimum RM10,000 (for 1,000 'hidang')

For misc. expnses (gifts, dresses, make-up, rental of hall, 'barzanji' group, 'kompang' group, cameraman, photographer, vehicles, renting room for relatives all ove the nation etc.) - minimum RM10,000

It'll be RM 40,000 minimum (equals to 5,743 British Pound Sterling or USD 10,860)
Reply

north_malaysian
08-29-2006, 09:00 AM
Originally Posted by Dahir

I'm not sure about "Muslim" marriage and how it differs from typical Western themes - except no rings, priests, free-mixing.
Actually we Malaysians, have rings and free-mixing is quite common. But no priest. But have to pay those old folks to read 'Barzanji' and those young boys to play the "kompang" (a kind of tambourine)
Reply

lolwatever
08-29-2006, 09:18 AM
^ lol coudl every1 convert their currency in terms of USD pls?

just so we can measure relativ costs here...

www.xe.com << currency converter

jazaks :)

salamz
Reply

Dawud_uk
08-29-2006, 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by soulsociety
:sl:

In the UK it can cost £10,000 (hall hire, 3 course food for 500 people, mahr, jewellery...). This is a typical amount, not extravagent but not minimal either.

In Algeria I was told £5000.

I'd like to know how much it is in Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, Turkey?

As well as US and where ever you are that I haven't mentioned?

Jazakallahkhairan.

assalaamu alaykum,

that is laughable if it wasnt so tragic, it cost me less that £700 to get married. these people are jokes and will answer one day for their extravagence.

there are people starving, jihad is upon us and instead of feeding those starving people or giving their money to those striving in the path of Allah the spend it on giving weddings like this to keep up with the qureshis and patels next door. what has the ummah of muhammad (saws) come to?

remember the nikkah with the most barakah is the simple one.

assalaamu alaykum,
Daw'ud
Reply

lolwatever
08-29-2006, 09:21 AM
remember the nikkah with the most barakah is the simple one.
oh yeh is that a hadith or something?
Reply

syilla
08-29-2006, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by north_malaysian
For Penang Island

For the bride (mahr and wedding expenses) - minimum RM10,000

For the food (groom's feast) - minimum RM10,000 (for 1,000 'hidang', a 'hidang' serves 4 guests - it'll be 4,000 guests)

For the food (bride's feast) - minimum RM10,000 (for 1,000 'hidang')

For misc. expnses (gifts, dresses, make-up, rental of hall, 'barzanji' group, 'kompang' group, cameraman, photographer, vehicles, renting room for relatives all ove the nation etc.) - minimum RM10,000

It'll be RM 40,000 minimum (equals to 5,743 British Pound Sterling or USD 10,860)
ermm...thats why you can't get any penang girls...

maybe someone here can help you to find one...

ANYONE HERE CAN FIND PRETTY GIRL FOR NM....(FOR MARRIAGE OF COURSE)
Reply

Dawud_uk
08-29-2006, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by lolwatever
oh yeh is that a hadith or something?

there is a haddith with the same meaning but couldnt find the exact wording so didnt say it was for fear of lying regarding Rasoolullah (saws)
Reply

F.Y.
08-29-2006, 09:50 AM
Yes I think it is sunnah to have a simple wedding. There is the story of Hadrat Fatimas wedding on this forum somewhere - maybe you wanna read it.
The simpler, the more barakah....I have read that too.
Reply

soulsociety
08-29-2006, 10:03 AM
:sl:

Jazakallahkhair.

Anyone from Lebanon, Syria, Jordan?
Reply

Duhaa
08-29-2006, 11:26 AM
I've been to a wedding in Jordan, not that I was invited ;)
But it was at the hotel that I was staying at and from a general point of view I think it was expensive because they had it in a hotel for one thing and for another they had mexican dancers over.
Then again I could be completely wrong and it could be that they were mexicans and the dancers were their cousins.......
....oh well whatever.
Did I mention that it was ten years ago? :rollseyes

Well as far as weddings go, I personally dont think it can cost £10 000, that is wayyyyy too much.
And only for 500 guests? :?
We had a walimah (for my bros) for nearly 1000 people, yes in England, and it didnt cost that much..... ^o)

And as Brother Dawud said that would be extravagance to an extreme :uuh:
The whole point of the wedding, by this I mean nikaah is to bring two people together which shouldnt cost anything if it is done islamically, well, besides the mahr of course..........
Then theres the walimah which is done to let people know that the couple are married and it is sunnah. So maybe you'd have to pay for the hall and the food but what else?
Hadhrat Safiya R.A's wedding feast consisted of things that people had on them, dates, barley and that kind of stuff. SubhanAllah.

Then again, I think I am slightly off topic since you were asking about the cost of marriage and not the sins of extravagence.....:-\
But i'm telling you, no wedding costs that much here I think you've been misinformed or it was a one off mega-rich persons wedding....:rollseyes
Reply

lolwatever
08-29-2006, 11:35 AM
1000 ppl r u srs sis? lol mashalah... isn't that like 50 tribes
Reply

soulsociety
08-29-2006, 11:43 AM
:sl:

Yeah, just looking at the costs and not the sins of extravagence.

I said £10,000 because most weddings happen on weekends in London, and a hall is like £1500. Two halls, brothers, sisters £3000, 3 course meal (choosing the lowest priced package), drinks, silver service (plates, serving equipment), staff, £12 per head. 500 people, is £6000, so that's £9000 total, and we haven't come to the mahr yet! Say £3000? By the way, this is not what I'd call extravagent, because a £1500 hall is like in a school or Mosque centre. Also notice that there are no cars, limos hired in this example, or fancy hotel, ice sculptures.... So £12,000 is not that extravagent. Expensive, unreasonable, difficult and a few years savings for average person plus help from parents, but not extravagent lol. I've seen weddings where they hire Ferraris, Lamborghinis...

BTW it is permissable to give money to Muslim Aid or Islamic relief and they can do a walima for you in a poor country. You don't have to be present at your own Walima.
Reply

Duhaa
08-29-2006, 11:46 AM
1000 ppl r u srs sis? lol mashalah... isn't that like 50 tribes
Nah just loads of people we know who'd feel insulted and angry and not speak to us etc etc if we hadn't invited them.....

....But hey bro you weren't supposed to dwell on that info, I was just pointing out a fact. That it didn't cost us &#163;10 000 to feed that many people etc etc.....

BTW it is permissable to give money to Muslim Aid or Islamic relief and they can do a walima for you in a poor country. You don't have to be present at your own Walima.
Yeah I know that, maybe we'll do that for my next brother....

I said &#163;10,000 because most weddings happen on weekends in London, and a hall is like &#163;1500. Two halls, brothers, sisters &#163;3000
We only had one hall but still had males and females seperate. Then again I understand your point. You're talking about the capital. I'm talking about where I live which is a town....
Reply

north_malaysian
08-30-2006, 05:02 AM
Originally Posted by syilla
ermm...thats why you can't get any penang girls...

maybe someone here can help you to find one...

ANYONE HERE CAN FIND PRETTY GIRL FOR NM....(FOR MARRIAGE OF COURSE)
Actually, I have a friend from South Africa... she's Flemish. But we're not serious!!! :okay:

Yeah... I have to marry someone with mahr cheaper than Penangite girls!!!
Reply

syilla
08-30-2006, 06:28 AM
Originally Posted by Duhaa
Nah just loads of people we know who'd feel insulted and angry and not speak to us etc etc if we hadn't invited them.....

....But hey bro you weren't supposed to dwell on that info, I was just pointing out a fact. That it didn't cost us £10 000 to feed that many people etc etc.....



Yeah I know that, maybe we'll do that for my next brother....



We only had one hall but still had males and females seperate. Then again I understand your point. You're talking about the capital. I'm talking about where I live which is a town....
i had to invite 1000 ppl too (i have big family)...but the feast doesn't cost much :D
Reply

north_malaysian
08-30-2006, 06:48 AM
Originally Posted by syilla
i had to invite 1000 ppl too (i have big family)...but the feast doesn't cost much :D
I think 1,000 guests for wedding is AVERAGE in Malaysia, minimum could be 500... maximum....erm 10,000?
Reply

syilla
08-30-2006, 06:51 AM
Originally Posted by north_malaysian
I think 1,000 guests for wedding is AVERAGE in Malaysia, minimum could be 500... maximum....erm 10,000?
i think it is more than that...

can you guess how many does siti or era invite to their wedding? actually i don't really know...
Reply

north_malaysian
08-30-2006, 06:56 AM
Originally Posted by syilla
i think it is more than that...

can you guess how many does siti or era invite to their wedding? actually i don't really know...
6,300,000 million Malaysians watched Siti's live telecast wedding ... if Siti invite all Malaysians to her wedding it would be hundred of thousands if not millions ... and of course she dont have the money to feed those 6.3 mil people. :)
Reply

syilla
08-30-2006, 07:03 AM
Originally Posted by north_malaysian
6,300,000 million Malaysians watched Siti's live telecast wedding ... if Siti invite all Malaysians to her wedding it would be hundred of thousands if not millions ... and of course she dont have the money to feed those 6.3 mil people. :)
i'm sure someone is eager to sponsor her...everybody is sponsoring her. Why no one wants to sponsor me? :cry:
Reply

north_malaysian
08-30-2006, 07:36 AM
Originally Posted by syilla
i'm sure someone is eager to sponsor her...everybody is sponsoring her. Why no one wants to sponsor me? :cry:
I dont want a sponsored wedding like her ... just look at Yusry and Erra ... lavish sponsored wedding immortalised in a movie with RM 33,333.33 mahr ... after 3 years DIVORCE.. What a waste!!! Yeah... those sponsored weddings have lots of unIslamic elements too.

Would you love to have a wedding 'blessed' with sins? not me.. you should be proud that you're self sufficient for your own wedding...
Reply

syilla
08-30-2006, 07:44 AM
Originally Posted by north_malaysian
I dont want a sponsored wedding like her ... just look at Yusry and Erra ... lavish sponsored wedding immortalised in a movie with RM 33,333.33 mahr ... after 3 years DIVORCE.. What a waste!!! Yeah... those sponsored weddings have lots of unIslamic elements too.

Would you love to have a wedding 'blessed' with sins? not me.. you should be proud that you're self sufficient for your own wedding...
lol...no one ask you to sponsor....i just said i'm sure there is somebody want to sponsor...they just love attention and glamour...

of course i'm proud of what i have ....lol...

p/s:-macam nenek-nenek jer membebel... :p
Reply

north_malaysian
08-30-2006, 07:50 AM
Originally Posted by syilla

p/s:-macam nenek-nenek jer membebel... :p
anybody want me to translate this ... dont worry syilla would pay the translation fees!!!:okay:
Reply

soulsociety
08-30-2006, 09:55 AM
:sl:

... On topic please?
Reply

S_87
08-30-2006, 11:20 AM
:sl:

around &#163;15000 over.
guests are officially invited from a week before the wedding so that costs for food caterers.
the uncles feed one day then aunts etc.
plussssss the bride and groom both have to buy each other casual yet designer clothes so it all adds up to thousands.
and food for 500 people? more like between 750-2000

however for the mehr itself people generally like to give the 'sunnah' amount
Reply

afriend
08-30-2006, 11:23 AM
I know it's going to be nothing less than £10000....Just weep everytime someone spends that much on a wedding...
Reply

Dawud_uk
08-31-2006, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by Iqram
I know it's going to be nothing less than £10000....Just weep everytime someone spends that much on a wedding...

assalaamu alaykum,

then make sure yourself and your family dont and that goes for everyone else here also, remember Allah tells us to protect ourselves and our families from a fire whose fuel is men and stones.

assalaamu alaykum,
Daw'ud
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-24-2013, 03:03 AM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-24-2008, 08:32 PM
  3. Replies: 27
    Last Post: 11-27-2006, 08:52 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-09-2006, 10:47 AM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!