/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Islam among Native Americans (LONG HISTORY)

Dahir
08-29-2006, 12:31 AM
Digging for the Red Roots
by Mahir Abdal-Razzaaq El

[CHEROKEE NATIVE AMERICAN INDIAN MUSLIMS]

My name is Mahir Abdal-Razzaaq El and I am a Cherokee Blackfoot American Indian who is Muslim. I am known as Eagle Sun Walker. I serve as a Pipe Carrier Warrior for the Northeastern Band of Cherokee Indians in New York City.

There are other Muslims in our group. For the most part, not many people are aware of the Native American contact with Islam that began over one thousand years ago by some of the early Muslim travelers who visited us. Some of these Muslim travelers ended up living among our people.

For most Muslims and non-Muslims of today, this type of information is unknown and has never been mentioned in any of the history books. There are many documents, treaties, legislation and resolutions that were passed between 1600s and 1800s that show that Muslims were in fact here and were very active in the communities in which they lived. Treaties such as Peace and Friendship that was signed on the Delaware River in the year 1787 bear the signatures of Abdel-Khak and Muhammad Ibn Abdullah. This treaty details our continued right to exist as a community in the areas of commerce, maritime shipping, current form of government at that time which was in accordance with Islam. According to a federal court case from the Continental Congress, we help put the breath of life in to the newly framed constitution. All of the documents are presently in the National Archives as well as the Library of Congress.

If you have access to records in the state of South Carolina, read the Moors Sundry Act of 1790. In a future article, Inshallah, I will go in to more details about the various tribes, their languages; in which some are influenced by Arabic, Persian, Hebrew words. Almost all of the tribes vocabulary include the word Allah. The traditional dress code for Indian women includes the kimah and long dresses. For men, standard fare is turbans and long tops that come down to the knees. If you were to look at any of the old books on Cherokee clothing up until the time of 1832, you will see the men wearing turbans and the women wearing long head coverings. The last Cherokee chief who had a Muslim name was Ramadhan Ibn Wati of the Cherokees in 1866.

Cities across the United States and Canada bear names that are of Indian and Islamic derivation. Have you ever wondered what the name Tallahassee means? It means that He Allah will deliver you sometime in the future.
Link

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Zone Maker
08-29-2006, 01:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dahir
:sl:
:muddlehea :muddlehea :muddlehea
.......and I thought that I knew the complete history of Islam.
:w:

Woodrow
08-29-2006, 01:14 AM
To be honest I had heard of Islam being in the US prior to Columbus. I always placed it in the realm of Exaggeration. Now, I'm taking a closer look at Cherokee words and the names of some of our old landmarks. Very interesting

Dahir
08-29-2006, 01:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Skakeen
:muddlehea :muddlehea :muddlehea
.......and I thought that I knew the complete history of Islam.
I thought I knew the complete Native American history. :muddlehea

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
08-29-2006, 01:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
To be honest I had heard of Islam being in the US prior to Columbus. I always placed it in the realm of Exaggeration. Now, I'm taking a closer look at Cherokee words and the names of some of our old landmarks. Very interesting
My wife was Cherokee and the Cherokee language is basicaly of Algonquin background it has many words that do not appear in any other Native American Language. Plus what is funny many of our native languages use pronunciations that sound very Arabic. The letters themselves were designed by The Cherokee leader Sequyah, it is the only know written alphabet that was designed by one man. He patterened it after the Latin Alphabet with his own symbols. Each symbol is a sound in cherokee. Compare the pronuciation of the letters with the Arabic pronunciations. Let me find the Cherokee alphabet and you judge:

Dahir
08-29-2006, 02:01 AM
I get what you mean, they do sound Arabic. "Ga" "Ha" "Wa," very fascinating indeed. And I once heard of a strange Southern tribe that spoke Persian - and that Elvis Presley and Abraham Lincoln were members of that tribe. ^o)

Woodrow
08-29-2006, 02:05 AM
I was under the impression Elvis was Cherokee. My wifes brother is almost an identical twin for Elvis. They were both the same age, but my wifes brother is still living, and yes he did get to be as heavy as Elvis LOL

syilla
08-29-2006, 02:15 AM
^^^lol...he should take a dna test...and give it to elvis daughter...

Dahir
08-29-2006, 03:52 AM
I was under the impression Elvis was Cherokee. My wifes brother is almost an identical twin for Elvis. They were both the same age, but my wifes brother is still living, and yes he did get to be as heavy as Elvis LOL
Possibly Elvis was part cherokee...the tribe I speak of are genetically varied...they even have knots at the back of their heads that signify that they're of that tribe...wierd. They have gypsy culture and speak Turkish.

*I said Persian earlier, but they spoke Turkish*

north_malaysian
08-29-2006, 03:57 AM
Are there many native american convert/revert back to Islam? Never heard of it ... just like Eskimo Muslims..?

Dahir
08-29-2006, 04:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Are there many native american convert/revert back to Islam? Never heard of it ... just like Eskimo Muslims..?
Same here, didn't know ANY existed. Numbers don't pass 1,000, certainly.

Woodrow
08-29-2006, 04:11 AM
I would suspect there are many American Indian reverts. Islam is spreading in Mexico and most Mexicans are of American Indian and Spanish Ancestry. In North America it will be hard to tell as the majority of the Native Americans have been assinilated into the general population.

north_malaysian
08-29-2006, 04:24 AM
SADAQA CENTRE OF SOUTH DAKOTA (Sioux, US - Central)

The Sadaqa Projects is the long term goal of a handful of North American Muslims & others in South Dakota who are striving to establish a sadaqa centre in South Dakota, for the sake of the Creator, that is a centre of Islamic charitable work for Needy in South Dakota, in particular the needs of the disempowered Native American communities. Tha state is home of America's most scenic landscapes, and also home to the poorest people in the Rich Nation. Many who can be found on the Indian reservations throughout the state. The project strives to become a tool of empowerment, not a tool of cultural genocide. Through respect of tribe and nation, we strive to come to know one another and to worship the Creator.

I'v found it on: http://www.nativeweb.org/resources/r...n_spirituality

north_malaysian
08-29-2006, 04:27 AM
I would suspect there are many American Indian reverts. Islam is spreading in Mexico and most Mexicans are of American Indian and Spanish Ancestry. In North America it will be hard to tell as the majority of the Native Americans have been assinilated into the general population.
I've read about Mayans and Tzotzils being islamized in Chiapas by a Spanish Da'wa group....

Do we Muslims have webs like joshua project or world christian database? We need to count Muslims worldwide....

Woodrow
08-29-2006, 04:44 AM
I've read about Mayans and Tzotzils being islamized in Chiapas by a Spanish Da'wa group....

Do we Muslims have webs like joshua project or world christian database? We need to count Muslims worldwide....
No such records exist. I know that at the Masjid I attend normaly no one has ever asked my name and the only ones who know me are brothers I have made friends with. Although I usually attend one masjid regulary there are 4 others that I do attend. I know my name is not on any roles at any one. The only Masjid that may have my name is the one in Tyler where I said the Shahadah and that is because the Imaan knows me.

I believe here the only records of Muslims are from the dept of immigration and from the US census if any declared themselves as being Muslim.

Dahir
08-29-2006, 04:49 AM
Hmm, somehow I fail to understand the use or importance of figures for Muslims. :?

north_malaysian
08-29-2006, 04:53 AM
In 1995, it's estimated by The Ahlul Bayt's Devotees in America that there are 9,605,000 Muslims in America!!!!!

Source: http://www.hlms.org/Articles/muslims...ensus%20usa%22

north_malaysian
08-29-2006, 04:54 AM
Hmm, somehow I fail to understand the use or importance of figures for Muslims. :?
to make muslims more organized... and could prevent FUTURE TERRORISTS?

Taqiyah
08-29-2006, 05:06 AM
salaamz

Interesting!
it is strange coz whenever I think of Native Americans I think of human sacrifices,renewal ceremonies,shamans,gods of war...lol that is scary.

good to know they had some muslims in'em:D

Woodrow
08-29-2006, 05:10 AM
to make muslims more organized... and could prevent FUTURE TERRORISTS?
It also can be a good thing to know where our Brothers and Sisters are. We all want a strong Ummah and most of us don't even know where we are. I was surprised to see that the 1995 Estimate for America was over 9 million. I was under the impression it was about 5 million.

It is good to know that there are that many here and out of that number how few have ever had trouble with the law.

north_malaysian
08-29-2006, 05:20 AM
It also can be a good thing to know where our Brothers and Sisters are. We all want a strong Ummah and most of us don't even know where we are. I was surprised to see that the 1995 Estimate for America was over 9 million. I was under the impression it was about 5 million.

It is good to know that there are that many here and out of that number how few have ever had trouble with the law.
who knows that there might be Muslims in Greenland, North Korea .... and Amazon jungles.... LET START COUNTING NOW.....:happy:

Woodrow
08-29-2006, 05:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Taqiyah
salaamz

Interesting!
it is strange coz whenever I think of Native Americans I think of human sacrifices,renewal ceremonies,shamans,gods of war...lol that is scary.

good to know they had some muslims in'em:D
We are just now appreciating how civilized the Native Americans are. They have been treated bad by history. Many people do not know that the American Indians did not practice scalping until the British introduced it as a means to pay mercenaries that fought for the British. War fare among the Various native nations was virtually unknown. There were well established governments. Much of what was thought of as pagan worship was a means of keeping historical records. The best examples were the totem poles of the North west. They were believed to be idols, but in reality each was a family history and the summation of them was the history of individual villages. Much history was lost when the missonaries destroyed them as Idols.

Keep in mind there were no work animals for labor the horse was brought in by the Spanish. Yet by pure foot labor Trade was established among all the nations from the southernmost point in south America to the Northern most parts of canada and it was all done on foot.

Taqiyah
08-29-2006, 05:24 AM
who knows that there might be Muslims in Greenland, North Korea .... and Amazon jungles.... LET START COUNTING NOW.....:happy:

Islam is the second largest religion in the world.....so I pretty much think Muslims r everywhere in the world.
n yeah there definetly r Muslims in North Korea. but I don't know about Greenland n Amazon jungles.^o)

Woodrow
08-29-2006, 05:29 AM
At the moment I think we have a large enough task just in reflecting on the topic. I wonder how much evidence we can find for Muslims in the Americas in precolombian times. Historicaly they came here with the earliest Spanish settlers so the history of Muslims in the Americas goes back at least 500 years. There seems to be evidence that some of the pre colombian native tribes were Muslim and the native languages seem to have had some Arabic influence.

north_malaysian
08-29-2006, 05:33 AM
I've watched the documentary that Admiral Zheng He (known as Laksamana Cheng Ho in Malaysia) might been in America earlier than Columbus... he's a Muslim and brought many Muslim Chinese with him... if it is true.... they might be Chinese Muslim influences too among the Native Americans...

Zone Maker
08-29-2006, 05:39 AM
At the moment I think we have a large enough task just in reflecting on the topic. I wonder how much evidence we can find for Muslims in the Americas in precolombian times. Historicaly they came here with the earliest Spanish settlers so the history of Muslims in the Americas goes back at least 500 years. There seems to be evidence that some of the pre colombian native tribes were Muslim and the native languages seem to have had some Arabic influence.
The poor Mr.colombus.;D

Woodrow
08-29-2006, 05:43 AM
I've watched the documentary that Admiral Zheng He (known as Laksamana Cheng Ho in Malaysia) might been in America earlier than Columbus... he's a Muslim and brought many Muslim Chinese with him... if it is true.... they might be Chinese Muslim influences too among the Native Americans...
There is some reason there is so much Asiatic and Mid Eastern similarities in the cultures. Mexico is actually the country with the most and the largest Pyramids. Also the same mystry as to how they could have been made. Lots of the old Native American stories seem to have reference to Mid eastern beliefs including Islam.

I wonder if we have some Native American members who have enough knowledge of their heritage to tell us if they can relate anything.

north_malaysian
08-29-2006, 05:46 AM
There is some reason there is so much Asiatic and Mid Eastern similarities in the cultures. Mexico is actually the country with the most and the largest Pyramids. Also the same mystry as to how they could have been made. Lots of the old Native American stories seem to have reference to Mid eastern beliefs including Islam.

I wonder if we have some Native American members who have enough knowledge of their heritage to tell us if they can relate anything.
I think most of Native Americans from North pole to Argentina ... have Asian looks...

Taqiyah
08-29-2006, 05:48 AM

and I have seen quite a few Arabic words in the Spanish language too:)

Dahir
08-29-2006, 06:01 AM
The entire "al, el" scheme in Spanish is Arab-influenced. *moors*

And the names Omar and Selma are Arab names popular in the Spanish-speaking world.

north_malaysian
08-29-2006, 06:01 AM
Remember Al Andalus!!!:okay:

Dahir
08-29-2006, 06:02 AM
Remember Al Andalus!!!:okay:
Los Angeles? ^o)

Woodrow
08-29-2006, 06:07 AM
True and some of them have passed on into the Mexican Spanish spoken among many Mexicans. However many of the American Indian languages predate the arrival of the Spaniiards, and they still seem to have some Arabic influence, in particular the Languages found along the Eastern Coast. the clothing of the Eastern Coast American Indians also has a strong resemblance to what is found among Mid Eastern Muslims. Especialy the Turban type head pieces worn by the men of several tribes.

Also the Eastern tribes do not have as much Asiatic features as the Far West, North and South have. They seem to be more Mid eastern in appearance.

north_malaysian
08-29-2006, 08:04 AM
True and some of them have passed on into the Mexican Spanish spoken among many Mexicans. However many of the American Indian languages predate the arrival of the Spaniiards, and they still seem to have some Arabic influence, in particular the Languages found along the Eastern Coast. the clothing of the Eastern Coast American Indians also has a strong resemblance to what is found among Mid Eastern Muslims. Especialy the Turban type head pieces worn by the men of several tribes.

Also the Eastern tribes do not have as much Asiatic features as the Far West, North and South have. They seem to be more Mid eastern in appearance.
more articles or sources for this important issue needed....:)

Woodrow
08-29-2006, 09:01 AM
more articles or sources for this important issue needed....:)
Here is a painting of the Shawnee Chief Tecumseh:

Source: http://freemasonry.bcy.ca/biography/.../tecumseh.html

Here is a painting of the Cherokee Chief Sequoyah

Source: http://ngeorgia.com/people/sequoyah.html

Typical Creek Indian

source: http://www.rhus.com/Creeks.html

north_malaysian
08-29-2006, 09:11 AM
turban and feathers ... they're sooooo Saracens!!!:rollseyes

syilla
08-29-2006, 09:27 AM
wow the feathers....

what is the significant of the feathers?

Woodrow
08-29-2006, 09:30 AM
I decided to look to see what the sarcens headware typicaly looked like.

Sure looks like something Sequoyah would have worn.

The best picture I could find was that one from an English Inn

Woodrow
08-29-2006, 09:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
wow the feathers....

what is the significant of the feathers?
Among the American Indians the Feathers had different meanings the only one I know for fairly certain is the Eagle feathers signified bravery as they had to climb up to an Eagles nest and pull the feather from a live eagle.

Keltoi
08-29-2006, 06:18 PM
As a Native American, member of the Kiowa Tribe, I can honestly say there is no evidence of any Muslim influence in the Americas. There have been many theories about some race or another having contact with the Americas in the time before Columbus, but again, all of that is basically speculation.
As for the eagle feather, Woodrow was correct in that it signified bravery. Unlike what you see on old cowboy/indian movies in the states, only the elders and accomplished war chiefs wore the large headress filled with feathers. It was a sign of rank and respect. Most warriors only wore the single eagle feather, a stuffed bird, ornaments of bone, etc. For example, Crazy Horse wore a single eagle feather, a pebble in his ear, and his facepaint, nothing too extravagant.

Woodrow
08-29-2006, 06:36 PM
It is good to get some in put from a person with heritage back ground. Ther have been many theories about pre-Colombian contacts from many parts of the world. Everything from vikings to asian to africans to arabs.

I tend to believe that there probably was contact with early Arab sea farers and some of the Muslim influence can still be seen in the clothing and language of some of the tribes.

But, your input is deeply appreciated and welcomed

Dahir
08-29-2006, 07:34 PM
It is good to get some in put from a person with heritage back ground. Ther have been many theories about pre-Colombian contacts from many parts of the world. Everything from vikings to asian to africans to arabs.

I tend to believe that there probably was contact with early Arab sea farers and some of the Muslim influence can still be seen in the clothing and language of some of the tribes.

But, your input is deeply appreciated and welcomed
Same here, I do sense a bit of non-European contact - such that was never written about. It seems the Europeans trashed all the evidence.

I remember in a 2003 news update, Coca was found in the corpse of an ancient Egyptian mummy at the site of Giza. And Coca ONLY grows in the Americas...how could it have been.

The distance between the New World and the Old World is a week-long boat trip by yesterday's standards...and I fail to believe that people in the Americas could go without any influence from the outside world - the American Indians of old had great empires - Inca, Maya, Aztec - with varying cultures that are very reminiscent of Old World empires.

Taqiyah
08-29-2006, 07:54 PM

- the American Indians of old had great empires - Inca, Maya, Aztec - with varying cultures that are very reminiscent of Old World empires.
yeah u right we watched a whole documentary of the Aztec empires,cultures,riligions in my Spanish class. it was really interesting....and freaky at times...like how they slaughter human sacrifices n take out their hearts ...I don't know 4 whatever reason.

Dahir
08-29-2006, 09:23 PM
yeah u right we watched a whole documentary of the Aztec empires,cultures,riligions in my Spanish class. it was really interesting....and freaky at times...like how they slaughter human sacrifices n take out their hearts ...I don't know 4 whatever reason.
Examples of [Marvelous] Aztec Architecture

Keltoi
08-29-2006, 09:48 PM
lol..it was called the Flowery Death. Captured enemy soldiers, those who have dishonored themselves, etc. were sacrificed at the Temple of the Sun. Blood would drain from the top of the pyramid and flow down through channels into some form of religious significance. Hate to be graphic, but that was the case.

Dahir
08-29-2006, 09:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
lol..it was called the Flowery Death. Captured enemy soldiers, those who have dishonored themselves, etc. were sacrificed at the Temple of the Sun. Blood would drain from the top of the pyramid and flow down through channels into some form of religious significance. Hate to be graphic, but that was the case.
I found it a bit strange how, despite being ultra-modern in math and architecture, the Native American civilizations had very nomadic/paganist rituals that are extreme and no offense, "primitive" by today's standards. ^o)

Keltoi
08-29-2006, 09:53 PM
Sorry, but I'm not convinced of any relationship between Muslims and Native Americans. As for the headdress worn by some of the Seminole, Creek, etc, I don't see any how one can come to the conclusion of some kind of Muslim influence on their choice of headgear. Seems a major stretch to me.

Keltoi
08-29-2006, 09:55 PM
I found it a bit strange how, despite being ultra-modern in math and architecture, the Native American civilizations had very nomadic/paganist rituals that are extreme and no offense, "primitive" by today's standards. ^o)
What exactly is wrong with nomadic culture? Anyway, the nomadic lifestyle was involved more with the Plains tribes, or the buffalo hunting culture. The majority of American tribes lived in villages and practiced forms of agriculture, along with hunting of course.

Not to mention of course that human sacrifice was mainly a South American phenomenon

Dahir
08-29-2006, 10:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
What exactly is wrong with nomadic culture? Anyway, the nomadic lifestyle was involved more with the Plains tribes, or the buffalo hunting culture. The majority of American tribes lived in villages and practiced forms of agriculture, along with hunting of course.

Not to mention of course that human sacrifice was mainly a South American phenomenon
I didn't mean all aspects of nomadic culture. I was aiming at the ultra-violent sacrifice rituals, which I thought would be obsolete in modern societies as such.

I would understand nomads being part of society, but it was the pagan-like sacrifice rituals that I found a bit strange for such an advanced people.

Woodrow
08-29-2006, 10:56 PM
I didn't mean all aspects of nomadic culture. I was aiming at the ultra-violent sacrifice rituals, which I thought would be obsolete in modern societies as such.

I would understand nomads being part of society, but it was the pagan-like sacrifice rituals that I found a bit strange for such an advanced people.
The civilization was about the equivilant of the Egytian Civilization at the time of the Pharoh. The rituals were not that much different or much more blood thirsty than what was practiced by the Egyptians at that time.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.