/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Why Islam is disrespected

al-fateh
08-29-2006, 03:49 PM
Why Islam is disrespected from certain people?

what is your opinion on that?

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
AhlaamBella
08-29-2006, 04:48 PM
Disrespected in what way?

Samee
08-29-2006, 06:12 PM
:sl:

It's mainly disrespected because of the false image the media paints it. Islam is portrayed to the world as a violent religion that rebukes its women and worships false Gods. People believe that we as Muslims are commanded to kill everyone who disbelieves. This of course is not true. And then you have the scary music, etc. played when people like Osama Bin Laden and Sadaam Hussein are shown on the TV screens. When People see this kind of stuff from their own government, of course halof of them are inclined to believe that all muslims are violent and evil.

Rarely will you hear that Islam commands people to have good manners and to respect elders, parents and family members. Rarely will you hear that Islam calls for mercy rather than violence. It's just the way the media presents the religion to the world. If more people knew all about Islam, I guarantee we would have thousands of (more) reverts every single day.

:w:

Woodrow
08-29-2006, 07:27 PM
Islam is not seen with respect by some people because of:

Lack of knowledge about what Islam is

Often seen as not doing anything to protest terrorism

Misidentification (people view Islam as a race not a religion for all)

Muslims are often seen as being aloof

Our acceptance of Allah's(swt) will, is seen as being non-caring

Lack of interaction with the non-Muslim community

Love of the Ummah is seen as blind support of Muslims who do wrong

We are seen as being prejudiced towards non-Muslims

All of those things are the result of misinformation, lack of information and preconceived ideas. One of our biggest tools is to live our lives by the Qur'an show understanding and tolerance towards others. Set the example to show we are truly peace loving. We can not tell people what Islam is, we need to make the effort to show what it is. We can not control what the media portrays us as, but we can avoid being what the media portrays. We need to accept the fact that people will fear and be suspicious of us, until we ourselves show what we truly are.

In many countries we are the new kids on the block. We are stepping into a world were we are not the dominate leaders in the social structure. We need to live our lives in a manner that clearly sends the message we are not out to destroy any bodies life style. We just do not always wish to live all life styles. We need to stop isolating ourselves from our non-Muslim neighbors, we need to interact sufficiently so that they can understand that our seperation from some social pleasures is because we love Allah(swt) and not because we dislike any people. We need to keep a high visible profile so that people know we are Muslim and we are not a secret society that is plotting against them.

We also need to become aware of the fears and misconceptions others have of us. We need to understand why people have those ideas and do our best to prove that they are false. We also have prconceived ideas about non-Muslims. We need to understand that our misconceptions are also a prejudice and we need to act with knowledge not what we think.Above all we do need to make an honest effort to look for the good in Non-Muslims and let them know we appreciate the good.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
glo
08-29-2006, 07:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Islam is not seen with respect by some people because of:

Lack of knowledge about what Islam is

Often seen as not doing anything to protest terrorism

Misidentification (people view Islam as a race not a religion for all)

Muslims are often seen as being aloof

Our acceptance of Allah's(swt) will, is seen as being non-caring

Lack of interaction with the non-Muslim community

Love of the Ummah is seen as blind support of Muslims who do wrong

We are seen as being prejudiced towards non-Muslims
I do not disrespect Islam (at least I don't think so), but I have underlined attitudes I certainly observe in the Muslim community in my own neighbourhood. And I would describe those attitudes as negative and unhelpful in fostering inter-faith relationships and getting non-Muslims to understand Islam.

To me it looks like some Muslims are quick to comment how society doesn't understand Islam - but not many seem to make much effort to go out and show them!

just my own thoughts on the matter ...

Peace.

AhlaamBella
08-30-2006, 01:06 PM
My real Dad hates the fact that I'm a Muslim. He is very disrespectful to me, my Mum and Islam.

Basically ignorence is what causes disrespect towards Islam.

al-fateh
08-30-2006, 04:03 PM
if the media disrespects Islam, then everyone will follow in

M2A^AKIB^
08-30-2006, 07:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MyIslamWeb.com
agreed, media seems to be a bigger weapon than guns and bombs.

AhlaamBella
08-30-2006, 09:35 PM
[MAD]The media really gets on my nerves![/MAD]

Muezzin
08-30-2006, 10:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MyIslamWeb.com
Shout something loud enough and people will believe it.

Best bet is to be good, law-abiding Muslims and show through our actions that we are not these ridiculous violent, intolerant stereotypes that the media and other external forces insist we are.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.