/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Death call for Libya Aids-case medics

Hajar
08-29-2006, 11:04 PM
Death call for Libya Aids-case medics
Tuesday 29 August 2006, 17:11 Makka Time, 14:11 GMT

Six foreign medics accused of infecting hundreds of Libyan children with Aids may face the death penalty for a second time.

Speaking to the court in Tripoli, Omar Abdulkhaleq, the chief prosecutor in the case called for their execution.

"The act was cruel, criminal and inhuman," he said. "It's a human catastrophe. We demand the death penalty for the accused."

All six defendants, who have spent seven years in jail, were in court where they heard testimony from a young girl who was among those infected.

The retrial, which began on May 11, has heard only from prosecution witnesses so far.

The case

The five Bulgarian nurses and a Palestinian doctor, who worked in a hospital in Benghazi, are accused of having infected 426 children with HIV, of whom 52 have since died of Aids.

The accused were first detained in 1999, and the initial case has put a strain on relations between Triploi and Sofia as the defendants were earlier condemned to death by firing sqad in May 2004.

In December 2005, the supreme court overturned the convictions and sent the case back to a lower court.

About 50 of the HIV-infected children have died, fuelling popular anger in Libya.

Allegations of torture

The medics have denied the charges in their first and second trials and have repeatedly testified that they were tortured into making confessions.

According to Bulgarian newspaper reports, police officers allegedly forced the nurses to undress before them, put insects on their bodies and set dogs on to them.

The five women were also allegedly kept without water and denied sleep in a tiny cell where they had to urinate in a juice box or a plastic bag. Police officers were also said to have threatened to infect them with Aids, the reports said.

Bulgaria and its allies say the outbreak at the hospital where they worked began before they arrived.

Compensation

International Aids experts have said that the infections in the hospital were attributable to hygiene problems.

Tripoli has suggested that the nurses could go free if Bulgaria pays compensation to the children and their families, who have demanded 4.4 billion euros [$5.5 billion].

Bulgaria has refused to pay, but has joined the US, the EU and Libya in agreeing to back the creation of an aid fund.

Source:http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exer...A170C5515E.htm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
afriend
08-29-2006, 11:12 PM
Who would have known that someone could use their profession on such a ghastly cause?

And the doctor who was palestinian could have been helping his fellow country people who are suffering and used his knowledge only for the good.

I pray that Allah only gives us beneficial knowledge that will spread and be useful to the people.

Ameen.

brainiac
08-30-2006, 12:48 AM
I'm waiting for the 'U.S. is responsible' posts to start pouring in. Somehow, someone will spin some imaginary tale of how the U.S. or Israel is to blame.

afriend
08-30-2006, 12:49 AM
I don't think that people will do that in relation to this thread :rollseyes

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Dahir
08-30-2006, 01:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by brainiac
I'm waiting for the 'U.S. is responsible' posts to start pouring in. Somehow, someone will spin some imaginary tale of how the U.S. or Israel is to blame.
Are you the US attorney general? Why are you so defensive? Cool down. Drink some water.

As for this case: I can't imagine anyone doing that. Its absurd, I don't think anyone is guilty here...I refuse to believe anyone is that despicable.

therebbe
08-30-2006, 01:16 AM
The five Bulgarian nurses and a Palestinian doctor, who worked in a hospital in Benghazi, are accused of having infected 426 children with HIV, of whom 52 have since died of Aids.
Don't worry... I am sure Israel is responsible somehow, even though it was a Palestinian Doctor...:rollseyes

Ghazi
08-30-2006, 01:20 AM
:sl:

whats with the sarcasm folks, stop attention seeking and high-jacking the thread.

therebbe
08-30-2006, 01:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth
:sl:

whats with the sarcasm folks, stop attention seeking and high-jacking the thread.
Believe me, to call me sarcastic is an insult to the truly sarcastic members of this forum. :p

lavikor201
09-05-2006, 08:01 PM
**** what kind of sick people do this?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.