/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Loghat Penang

north_malaysian
08-30-2006, 07:31 AM
:sl:

Apa Habag!!!:)
How are you?

Sapa-sapa yang ghasa nak prektis ka, blajag ka, loghat Penang ataupun loghat Utagha kat sini. Sila lah mai!!!
Anybody who would like to practice or learn Penangite dialect or Northern Malaysian dialect here. You're welcomed!!!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
syilla
08-30-2006, 07:35 AM
amboi-amboi
(nm translate for me please...rm5 will be given...maybe another 2 days:p)

apo hang buat noh... <<--- eh betul ke?
(what are you doing? <<--- am i right?)

north_malaysian
08-30-2006, 07:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
amboi-amboi
(nm translate for me please...rm5 will be given...maybe another 2 days:p)

apo hang buat noh... <<--- eh betul ke?
(what are you doing? <<--- am i right?)
amboi-amboi
whoa!!

apa hang nak buat no (loghat Kedah)
apa hang nak buat na (loghat Penang)
What would you like to do?

syilla
08-30-2006, 07:46 AM
terima kasih dalam dialek penang apa ya?
(how to say thank you in penang?)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
north_malaysian
08-30-2006, 07:59 AM
terima kasih dalam dialek penang apa ya?
(how to say thank you in penang?)
ada banyak variasi
lots of variations

tghima kaseh na
trima kaseh na
tmasseh na
Thank you!!

Dalam loghat Kedah:
In Kedahan Dialect:

tghima kaseh no
thank you

syilla
08-30-2006, 08:01 AM
tghima kaseh na...

north_malaysian
08-30-2006, 08:25 AM
tghima kaseh na...
sama-sama na
you're welcome

Zulkiflim
08-30-2006, 09:17 AM
Salaam

Habis lah,saya bahasa melayu dah truk nak cakap lohat lain..

Ni mi main pi mai pi mai tantu..

LOLOL

north_malaysian
08-30-2006, 09:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zulkiflim
Habis lah,saya bahasa melayu dah truk nak cakap lohat lain..
Habeh la, saya basa mlayu dah tghok, nak cakap loghat lein plak raaa!!!
I'm finished, my Malay language sucks, and have to speak dialects?

format_quote Originally Posted by Zulkiflim
Ni mi main pi mai pi mai tantu..
Apa maksud ayat ni na?
What the meaning of this sentence?

syilla
08-30-2006, 09:30 AM
hang tak tahu...kami lagi tak tahu...
(if you don't know...we even worst)

macam dalam cerita pi mai pi mai tang tu
(like the sitcom pi mai pi mai tang tu)

saya rasalah kan maksudnya...gi sana gi sini...tapi sebenarnya kat situ juga
(you want reps...so translate 4 me then :p)

north_malaysian
08-30-2006, 09:32 AM
saya rasalah kan maksudnya...gi sana gi sini...tapi sebenarnya kat situ juga
I think he meant ... going here and there but ended up in the same place

north_malaysian
09-01-2006, 01:27 AM
Apa Habag!!!
How are you!!!;D

syilla
09-01-2006, 02:00 AM
khabaq baik
(i'm good)

sudah makan na...?)
(have you eaten)

Muslim Knight
09-01-2006, 10:41 AM
maghilah bukan dari penang tapi mai? habis tu maghilah tu dari mana?

syilla
09-01-2006, 01:09 PM
gambaq cincin tunang ke? cincin kawin?
(picture of your engagement ring or wedding ring?)

Muslim Knight
09-01-2006, 01:13 PM
gambaq cincin tunang ke? cincin kawin?
(picture of your engagement ring or wedding ring?)
gambaq cincin tunang. hehehehe... is it too obvious?

syilla
09-01-2006, 01:18 PM
tak noh...(cakap penang...taknak off topic)

May Allah get you married as soon as possible...and be happy

north_malaysian
09-02-2006, 03:12 AM
'gambaq' ka 'gambag'?
is it 'gambaq' or 'gambag'?

Hampir keseluruhan orang utara menggunakan huruf 'q' untuk perkataan-perkataan yang berakhir dengan huruf 'r' dalam loghat utara. Permasalahannya ini mengelirukan orang-orang bukan Utara untuk menyebut perkataan-perkataan ini. Banyak kali saya terdengar orang-orang bukan utara tersilap menyebut perketaan-perkataan ini dengan menyebut akhiran nya seperti huruf 'qaf' ataupun 'hamzah'.
Almost all Northerners used letter 'q' for words ending with 'r' in northern dialect. The problem is that, it's confusing the non-Northerners to pronounce this words. On many occasions, I've heard the Non-Northerners mispronounce these words with ending that sounds either like letter 'qaf' or 'hamzah'.

Sebenarnya akhiran perkataan-perkataan ini mestilah bunyi seperti huruf 'ain' mati. Dan sebahagian kecil orang-orang Penang (seperti saya) pada akhiran perkataan-perkataan tersebut mengakhirkannya dengan huruf 'ga' cth "gambag".
Actually, the ending of these kind of words must be pronounced as a dead 'ain'. And some Penangites (like myself) pronounce the ending of these words with letter 'ga', eg. "gambag".

malayloveislam
05-12-2008, 04:43 PM
:sl::sl:

This is interesting.....

for nah and noh particles the sample of sentences are:

hang pa mai isok la noh

please you come tomorrow ok.

dok sat nah, minah pi buat ayaq.

have a sit please, I'll be back with the drinks.

nah or noh are used as the confirmation in a sentence. It is difficult to decide whether we should use nah or noh in a sentence :blind::blind: Practice by listening and speaking are among the way.

north_malaysian
05-13-2008, 07:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by malayloveislam
:sl::sl:

This is interesting.....

for nah and noh particles the sample of sentences are:

hang pa mai isok la noh

please you come tomorrow ok.

dok sat nah, minah pi buat ayaq.

have a sit please, I'll be back with the drinks.

nah or noh are used as the confirmation in a sentence. It is difficult to decide whether we should use nah or noh in a sentence :blind::blind: Practice by listening and speaking are among the way.
I dont use "no/noh"... I've been using "na/nah" only... Penangites never say "Noh/no"

malayloveislam
05-13-2008, 10:30 AM

I see, although i studied for two years in Penang i never notice the difference between Kedah dialect and Penang one... I sometime do not understand Penangites speaking maybe because the tune or the sound :hiding: My friends from Penang also complain about they couldn't understand Kedah's slang.

For Kedahan our dialects varied from the village to others. We also have a standard Kedah one which is called Jati Kedah. This one is well understood by people frm other part of Malaysia and unifying the Kedahans whether they are from Thai or Indian descendent, from Kota Setar or from Baling. Nothern dialect has so many variations from Perlis to Taiping in Perak.

Actually in Thai script Noh and Nah is spelled the same way, but the sound differ according to the sentences and depends on the speaker to choose it spontaneously. This expression is used the same way in Thai and Kedahan in the northern part :)

Love to brothers and sisters in faith

malayloveislam
05-13-2008, 06:52 PM

Please check this webpage up, it is a portal with informations about Kedah. Hope brothers, sisters, and frens enjoy it.

http://mykedah.org/

Love to brothers and issters in faith

north_malaysian
05-16-2008, 01:19 AM

I see, although i studied for two years in Penang i never notice the difference between Kedah dialect and Penang one... I sometime do not understand Penangites speaking maybe because the tune or the sound :hiding: My friends from Penang also complain about they couldn't understand Kedah's slang.

For Kedahan our dialects varied from the village to others. We also have a standard Kedah one which is called Jati Kedah. This one is well understood by people frm other part of Malaysia and unifying the Kedahans whether they are from Thai or Indian descendent, from Kota Setar or from Baling. Nothern dialect has so many variations from Perlis to Taiping in Perak.

Actually in Thai script Noh and Nah is spelled the same way, but the sound differ according to the sentences and depends on the speaker to choose it spontaneously. This expression is used the same way in Thai and Kedahan in the northern part :)

Why Penangite Malay is a lil bit different from Kedahan Malay?

That's what happened when non Kedahan speak Kedahan Malay.

malayloveislam
05-19-2008, 03:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Why Penangite Malay is a lil bit different from Kedahan Malay?

That's what happened when non Kedahan speak Kedahan Malay.

At first I also thought that northern dialects were all the same, but I notice the differences when I come into contact with other northerners in Penang. Northern dialect varies according to which part of area the people speaking it.

The difference maybe in the term of slang and words I think. I heard my friends from Penang Island utter the word such as baru and rumah in a bit formal sound for the 'r' sound while most Kedahan used to utter ghomah or ghuwmah. Ghomah is uttered in central and southern part of Kedah while ghuwmah kind of pronunciation is uttered in northern Kedah and Perlis. Eventhough I'm living and raised in KL but I'm speaking in Kedah dialect with northern part pronunciation at home, closer to Perlis sound because my mother is from Perlis. She trained us to speak in native dialect as the way to preserve our identity like Kelantanese had done to their child outside their state. My father is a Kedahan from Kodiang but he speaks in standard Kedahan dialect because he was educated in Alor Setar when he was young. Last time my friends from Penang complains about we Kedahan speak too fast and they couldn't grab what are we talking about and that confused me :?

Kedah words itself sometimes can vary from a district to another. Such as the word damuih is used in Perlis and Baling means dirty. Other word used by Kedahan is belemoih and kotoq, this one is in a bit gros meaning. Some people in northern Kedah tend to mix Thai words into Malay such as tua boran for extremely old :phew

For the sound, Penang dialect in the island is a bit rhythmatic. Maybe it is influenced by the Indian tune, I tried to imitate Penangites speak but to no avail beacause it has its own unique feature which is a bit different from Kedah one and people still can notice that I am not from Penang :phew. This is only my limited opinion through my observation while talking with friends from various parts of Kedah, northern Perak and Penang Island. I think that it is interesting to know the words used in various parts of northern area, it is a good way to expand our vocabulary and we can use it again in our daily life isn't it?

north_malaysian
05-20-2008, 12:42 AM
I've tried to speak in Kedahan dialect, but after few words... I was speaking in my Penangite dialect...:exhausted it's hard for Penangite to speak Kedahan and vice versa.

I've got lots of Kedahan friends, thus I understand lots of Kedahan words like "gerek" (bicycle), "kueh pek nga" (pancake), "menyerok" (having breakfast) etc.

We, Penangites use lots of "r" instead of "gh".....

Penangite dialect have sub-dialects like Tanjung, Sungai Pinang, Balik Pulau etc

For example: Twenty cents

Bahasa Malaysia: Dua Puluh Sen
Kedahan Dialect: Dua Kupang
Penangite Dialect (Tanjung): Dow Kupang
Penangite Dialect (Sg. Pinang): Dow Upang
Penangite Dialect (Balik Pulau): Dua Kupiang

AvarAllahNoor
05-20-2008, 12:54 AM
Oh Rabba Yeh Kia Hai!! :(

north_malaysian
05-20-2008, 01:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor
Oh Rabba Yeh Kia Hai!! :(
I dont think that is in Penangite dialect...:D

It means: "Oh God, What is this?" :?

malayloveislam
05-20-2008, 04:49 AM
I've tried to speak in Kedahan dialect, but after few words... I was speaking in my Penangite dialect...:exhausted it's hard for Penangite to speak Kedahan and vice versa.

I've got lots of Kedahan friends, thus I understand lots of Kedahan words like "gerek" (bicycle), "kueh pek nga" (pancake), "menyerok" (having breakfast) etc.

We, Penangites use lots of "r" instead of "gh".....

Penangite dialect have sub-dialects like Tanjung, Sungai Pinang, Balik Pulau etc

For example: Twenty cents

Bahasa Malaysia: Dua Puluh Sen
Kedahan Dialect: Dua Kupang
Penangite Dialect (Tanjung): Dow Kupang
Penangite Dialect (Sg. Pinang): Dow Upang
Penangite Dialect (Balik Pulau): Dua Kupiang

I think the Balik Pulau sub-dialect sound is a bit closer to Kedah sub-dialect spoken in my house for the Kupiang. For Dua Kupang, we used to utter it as Lo Kupiang or Rou Kupiang at home, sometimes becomes Ro Kupam or Ro Pam. D becomes L or R for Dua.

Wow, never know that there are words like menyerok and kueh pek nga, that really expands my vocabulary :thumbs_up I use to say makan pagi phrase for breakfast.

How about the 'g' in the words such as kambing (goat) and gunting (scissor) in Penang dialect? Most of my friends living in Kedah who are the young generations pronouncing it the same as the standard Malay. For me, my parents still stick to the original or maybe old style of pronunciation which are kambin and guntin without 'g'.

I thought that Kedahan still stick to this pronunciation but it is a bit wrong. Other friends from Baling and Northern Perak also stick to this old style of pronunciation without 'g', only some younger generations use the standard pronunciation. Maybe influenced by standard Malay in national education system.

My friend from Jitra taught me words such as Cheng (playing truant) probably from tortching and Toa with nasalized 'a' sound for materials used to copy or cheating in the exam.

north_malaysian
05-20-2008, 04:58 AM
How about the 'g' in the words such as kambing (goat) and gunting (scissor) in Penang dialect? Most of my friends living in Kedah who are the young generations pronouncing it the same as the standard Malay. For me, my parents still stick to the original or maybe old style of pronunciation which are kambin and guntin without 'g'.
I've heard lots of Kedahans silenced their "g", ie. "kambin", "kunin", "guntin", "dagin"

We Penangites do pronounce the "g".

north_malaysian
05-20-2008, 05:04 AM
I pronounce my "Dua Kupang" as "Dow Upang".

My Penangite dialect is a lil bit different than the actual Penangite dialect, but Penangites could still accept it...

My pronounciation:

Terima kasih (Thank you) = Tmassey
Main (Play) = Min
Laut (Sea) = Lowt
Lauk (Dishes) = Lowk
Sauh (Anchor) = Sowh
Teh Ais (Ice Tea) = Tay-eys

malayloveislam
05-20-2008, 08:23 AM

Your pronunciation is almost the same like us at home although there is a minor difference, I think Kedahan like to cut almost everything as simple as we can. I notice it in the way of my grandparents talk in Malay, not counting their rough Thai :D

My pronounciation at home:

Terima kasih (Thank you) = Maseih, Masei
Main (Play) = Men, Meiyn
Laut (Sea) = Lau', my villagers in Perlis say Lai' but I refuse to use this
strange pronunciation, so I stick to the common one
Lauk (Dishes) = Lowk
Sauh (Anchor) = Saow
Teh Ais (Ice Tea) = Tay-aeyh

The way we pronounce "R" sound at the final of words also vary... Southern Malaysians always confuse the way we pronounce the final "R". I saw they made mistakes while watching sitcoms, dramas, and films.

examples

Keropok Lekor (fish cracker) : Ghepouk Lekord, my grandfather's is Pouwk Lekohn
friends from Baling say ghepuk leko
Lapar (hungry) : Lapiaq
Hawar (a kind of curse word, desease) : Hawiaq
Hingar (noisy) : Hingiaq or Hingahk' in Perlis
Seluar : Sel-Warq, SluarQ, Seluard, or Chluard for people with Thai accent :-[

For words that we currently borrow from other languages or dialects, the "R" sounds remain the same when we use it in conversation:

Trojan : Trojan, not Teghojan
Rempit (racing) : Rempit, not ghempeit
Radio : Redio, Radi-O, Ray-di-U not Ghedio
Roman (Idnsian, appearance) : Roman not Ghoman

north_malaysian
05-20-2008, 08:30 AM
Penangites living in Seberang Perai are also having different pronounciations too:

Basikal (Bicycle) = Beskat
Anwar = Anwat
Pasar (Market) = Pasat

north_malaysian
05-20-2008, 08:35 AM
Some Penangite words:

Baiskel (Bicycle)
Merket (Market)
Toliap (Big)
Hora (Spending Excessively)
Haria (Beating)
Ghaplah (Reckless)
Tarak (No or Dont Have)
Ha (Yes)
Ushar (Stare or Look)
Insat (Wait a minute)

malayloveislam
05-20-2008, 08:58 AM
Some Penangite words:

Baiskel (Bicycle)
Merket (Market)
Toliap (Big)
Hora (Spending Excessively)
Haria (Beating)
Ghaplah (Reckless)
Tarak (No or Dont Have)
Ha (Yes)
Ushar (Stare or Look)
Insat (Wait a minute)
Some of the words are totally not in my vocabulary, now I know why Penangite look at me strangely when I try to speak the dialect, especially my tune is out of the melody :X Words that are common and understandable by us in Kedah are Ghaplah, Horah, Tarak, Ha, and Merket. Ghaplah is pronounced as Ghoplah and Ha is pronounced like Hoh.

Baiskel is commonly used by younger generations in Kedah, but since I was raised outside Kedah and northern area the words that I use is a bit old fashion. I only have contact with friends and grandparents in the village when visiting my village during Eidulfitri once in a blue moon. I use to say Gerek for bycicle at home.

While Haria, Ushar, and Insat are not common and totally new for me. We use nanti sat for wait a minute, it is rather formal. In informal way we just say sat for wait a minute.

I also heard about a phrase "hangpa jangan dok buat sirru sini" said by Penangites. I do not understand what is that sirru when my first arrival in Penang :D

north_malaysian
05-20-2008, 09:50 AM
Some of the words are totally not in my vocabulary, now I know why Penangite look at me strangely when I try to speak the dialect, especially my tune is out of the melody :X Words that are common and understandable by us in Kedah are Ghaplah, Horah, Tarak, Ha, and Merket. Ghaplah is pronounced as Ghoplah and Ha is pronounced like Hoh.

Baiskel is commonly used by younger generations in Kedah, but since I was raised outside Kedah and northern area the words that I use is a bit old fashion. I only have contact with friends and grandparents in the village when visiting my village during Eidulfitri once in a blue moon. I use to say Gerek for bycicle at home.

While Haria, Ushar, and Insat are not common and totally new for me. We use nanti sat for wait a minute, it is rather formal. In informal way we just say sat for wait a minute.

I also heard about a phrase "hangpa jangan dok buat sirru sini" said by Penangites. I do not understand what is that sirru when my first arrival in Penang :D

Sirru = Cocky

AvarAllahNoor
05-20-2008, 02:41 PM
I dont think that is in Penangite dialect...:D

It means: "Oh God, What is this?" :?
Correct.

I have no idea what the language you type in means. It's all goobledegook.
:cry:

malayloveislam
05-20-2008, 03:04 PM
Correct.

I have no idea what the language you type in means. It's all goobledegook.
:cry:
Satsriakal friend, the language that we typed is a variation of Malay. It is spoken in the northern part of Malaysia :D You can check through google earth the places that using this variation of Malay are Kedah, Pulau Pinang, Perlis, and Northern Perak. This Malay variation is influenced by Arabic, Sanskrit, Tamil, Farsi, English, and Thai.

Welcome to the side, you won't having big problem in learning this Malay variation since many Malaysian Punjabis speak this Malay variation flawlessly :D

malayloveislam
05-20-2008, 05:11 PM

Kedahan and others are invited to visit the Kedahans' Official Portal at

www.orangkedah.com

This portal is to strengthen the Silaturrahim tie among us. We can arrange activities together, finding informations about Kedah, or making new friends through this portal. Thank you for your support.

AvarAllahNoor
05-20-2008, 11:59 PM
Satsriakal friend, the language that we typed is a variation of Malay. It is spoken in the northern part of Malaysia :D You can check through google earth the places that using this variation of Malay are Kedah, Pulau Pinang, Perlis, and Northern Perak. This Malay variation is influenced by Arabic, Sanskrit, Tamil, Farsi, English, and Thai.

Welcome to the side, you won't having big problem in learning this Malay variation since many Malaysian Punjabis speak this Malay variation flawlessly :D
Oh Sat Shri Akal Ji Bhai Saab!!

Panjabis in Malaysia? Didn't know that! We get everywhere hunnah!
:D

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-21-2008, 12:09 AM
Aho. Aih te mainu vi lagda...Lol. Err my punjabi stanks! My family speaks it tho.

Time to start learnin Penangite! :p

AvarAllahNoor
05-21-2008, 12:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jazzy
Aho. Aih te mainu vi lagda...Lol. Err my punjabi stanks! My family speaks it tho.

Time to start learnin Penangite! :p
Naah pehenji, bahut ucchi likdi panjabi.

I speak it well too. They from Pakistan Panjab?

north_malaysian
05-21-2008, 12:34 AM

Panjabis in Malaysia? Didn't know that! We get everywhere hunnah! :D
There are more than 100,000 Punjabis in Malaysia. Mostly are Sikhs. Some are Muslims, Hindus or Christians.

We have gurdwaras in most towns and cities in the west coast of Malaysia.

AvarAllahNoor
05-21-2008, 12:39 AM
There are more than 100,000 Punjabis in Malaysia. Mostly are Sikhs. Some are Muslims, Hindus or Christians.

We have gurdwaras in most towns and cities in the west coast of Malaysia.
Balle balle! Sikh taan sare taan chal jande hain, ghar ni beh honda! lol

BTW any pics of Gurdwaras there? I'll have to add Malaysia to my list of places to travel to.
:D

north_malaysian
05-21-2008, 12:50 AM
Sorry, I cant find the pics for the time being...

But here are list of gurdwaras nationwide:

KUALA LUMPUR

Tatt Khalsa Diwan
24 Jalan Raja Alang
50300 Kuala Lumpur

Wada Gurdwara Sahib Kampong Pandan
Jalan Kampung Pandan
55100 Kuala Lumpur

Gurdwara Sahib Kampong Pandan
137 Lorong 7
Kampong Pandan Settlement
55100 Kuala Lumpur

Gurdwara Sahib Titiwangsa
41 Persiaran Titiwangsa
53200 Kuala Lumpur

Gurdwara Sahib Sentul
15 Off Jalan Haji Salleh
Sentul
51100 Kuala Lumpur

Dharamsala
8th Floor Wisma Thakurdas
Jalan Raja Laut
50350 Kuala Lumpur

Gurdwara Sahib Main Duab
75 Jalan Pudu Lama
50200 Kuala Lumpur

Gurdwara Sahib Shapan
25 Jalan Besi
Off 3rd Mile, Jalan Sungei Besi
57100 Kuala Lumpur

Gurdwara Sahib Police
6 Jalan Balai Polis
50000 Kuala Lumpur

Sikh Gurdwara Pulapol
Police Training Centre
Jalan Semarak
54100 Kuala Lumpur

Gurdwara Sahib Kuyoh
Kuala Lumpur

SELANGOR

Gurdwara Sahib Petaling Jaya
4 Lorong Utara B
P.O. Box 1028
46860 Petaling Jaya
Ph: (+603) 755 8645

Gurdwara Sahib Selayang
Lot 18295 Jalan 10A
Selayang Baru
68100 Batu Caves
Ph: (+603) 617 5598

Gurdwara Sahib Ulu Kelang
4 1/2 Miles, Jalan Ulu Kelang
68000 Ampang

Gurdwara Sahib Lembah Jaya
6 1/2 Miles, Jalan Lembah Jaya
68000 Ampang

Gurdwara Sahib Puchong
104 Kampong Baru, 14th Mile
47100 Puchong

Gurdwara Sahib Bandar Sunway
c/o Block G,
109 Jalan PJS 7/15
Bandar Sunway
46150 Petaling Jaya

Gurdwara Sahib Jalan Klang Lama
53 Jalan Klang Lama
7 1/2 Miles, Kampong Semerak
46000 Petaling Jaya

Gurdwara Sahib Seri Kembangan
Serdang Lama
43300 Seri Kembangan

Gurdwara Sahib Kajang
Jalan Sungai Chua
43000 Kajang

Gurdwara Sahib Port Klang
141 Jala Persiaran Raja Muda Musa
42000 Pelabuhan Kelang

Gurdwara Sahib Kelang
38 Jalan Raya Barat
P.O. Box 213
41100 Kelang

Gurdwara Sahib Shah Alam
1 Jalan Teladan Satu 25/22A
Taman Sri Muda
40400 Shah Alam

Gurdwara Sahib Rawang
Jalan Railway Tin
48000 Rawang

Gurdwara Sahib Serendah
48200 Serendah

Gurdwara Sahib Rasa
44200 Rasa

Gurdwara Sahib Kuala Kubu Baru
Jalan Hamzah
44200 Kuala Kubu Baru

Gurdwara Sahib Kerling
Indian Settlement
Kalumpang
44100 Kerling

Gurdwara Sahib Batang Berjuntai
Berjuntai Tin Mines
45600 Batang Berjuntai

Gurdwara Sahib Batang Kali
Jalan Gurdwara
Ulu Yam Baru
44300 Batang Kali

NEGRI SEMBILAN

Gurdwara Sahib Seremban
138A Jln Yam Tuan
70000 Seremban

Gurdwara Sahib Port Dickson
1st Mile, Jalan Pantai
71000 Port Dickson

Gurdwara Sahib Kuala Kelawang
209 Jalan Dato Umbi
71600 Kuala Kelawang.
Ph: (+606) 60 6733

Gurdwara Sahib Mantin
Jalan Besar
71700 Mantin

Gurdwara Sahib Kuala Pilah
Jalan Melang,
72000 Kuala Pilah

Gurdwara Sahib Tampin
60A Jalan Besar
73000 Tampin
Ph: (+606) 41 6374

MELAKA

Gurdwara Sahib Melaka
150B Jalan Temenggong
75000 Melaka

JOHOR

Gurdwara Sahib Johor Bahru
1-B Jalan Trus
80000 Johor Bahru

Gurdwara Sahib Kluang
Jalan Mersing
86000 Kluang.

Gurdwara Sahib Pontian
50 Jalan Gurdwara
82000 Pontian

Gurdwara Sahib Batu Pahat
4 Jalan Zabedah
83000 Batu Pahat

Gurdwara Sahib Muar
Jalan Mohamadiah
84000 Muar

Gurdwara Sahib Segamat
20 Jalan Hassan
85000 Segamat

PERAK

Wada Gurdwara Sahib Ipoh
9 Jalan Gurdwara
30100 Ipoh

Gurdwara Sahib Ashby Road
104 Jalan Hospital
Green Town
30450 Ipoh
Ph: (+605) 56 0697

Gurdwara Sahib Tambun
Lot 24319 Jalan Ampang Kinta
Tambun
31400 Ipoh

Gurdwara Sahib Railway
Keretapi Tanah Melayu
Jalan Kelab
30000 Ipoh

Gurdwara Sahib Police
Balai Polis Pusat
Jalan Kelab
30100 Ipoh

Gurdwara Sahib Buntong
1058 Jalan Bombay
Buntong
30100 Ipoh

Gurdwara Sahib Jelapang
68 Jelapang
30200 Ipoh

Gurdwara Sahib Gunong Rapat
717 Lorong 11
Gunong Rapat
31350 Ipoh

Gurdwara Sahib Bercham
766 Main Road
Bercham
31140 Ipoh

Gurdwara Sahib Siputeh
Siputeh
31560 Ipoh

Gurdwara Sahib Sri Guru Singh Sabha Larut
23 Jalan Station Ulu
34000 Taiping

Gurdwara Sahib Changkat
10 Jalan Okid
Desa Changkat
31000 Batu Gajah

Gurdwara Sahib Batu Gajah
Jalan Gopeng,
31000 Batu Gajah

Gurdwara Sahib Sungai Siput
Lot 2894 Simpang Tiga
31100 Sungai Siput Utara

Gurdwara Sahib Chemor
31200 Chemor

Gurdwara Sahib Lahat
31500 Lahat

Gurdwara Sahib Tanjong Rambutan
Jalan Ipoh
31250 Tanjong Rambutan

Gurdwara Sahib Menglembu
75 Jalan Lahat
Menglembu
30200 Ipoh

Gurdwara Sahib Gopeng
Jalan Besar
31600 Gopeng

Gurdwara Sahib Pusing
Bandar Pusing
31550 Pusing

Gurdwara Sahib Tanjung Tualang
Ayer Papan
31800 Tanjung Tualang

Gurdwara Sahib Tanjung Tualang Sikh Settlement
2 Sikh Settlement
31800 Tanjong Tualang

Gurdwara Sahib Tronoh Mines
Tronoh Mines
31910 Kampar

Gurdwara Sahib Kampar
1 Jalan Bahru
31900 Kampar

Gurdwara Sahib Sitiawan
87 Kampong Selamat
32000 Sitiawan

Gurdwara Sahib Malim Nawar
31700 Malim Nawar

Gurdwara Sahib Kuala Kangsar
4 Jalan Sultan Idris Shah 1
33000 Kuala Kangsar

Gurdwara Sahib Bagan Serai
Parit Buntar Road
34300 Bagan Serai

Gurdwara Sahib Khalsa Dharmik Sabha
257A Jalan Abd Rauf
34200 Parit Buntar

Gurdwara Sahib Bidor
35500 Bidor

Gurdwara Sahib Tapah
Jalan Temoh
35000 Tapah

Gurdwara Sahib Tanjong Malim
Jalan Slim Lama
35900 Tanjong Malim

Gurdwara Sahib Slim River
Opposite Railway Station
35800 Slim River

Gurdwara Sahib Teluk Intan
1064 Jalan Sekolah
36000 Teluk Intan

PAHANG

Gurdwara Sahib Kuantan
471 Jalan Bukit Ubi
25000 Kuantan

Gurdwara Sahib Raub
Jalan Lipis
27600 Raub

Gurdwara Sahib Bentong
Jalan Tali Air
28700 Bentong

Gurdwara Sahib Mentakab
221 Jalan Pekeliling
28400 Mentakab

Gurdwara Sahib Brinchang
19 Jalan Pekan Lama
Wisma Muhibbah
39100 Brinchang
Cameron Highlands

Gurdwara Sahib Tanah Rata
Jalan Jasar Valley
39000 Tanah Rata
Cameron Highlands

Gurdwara Sahib Kuala Lipis
27200 Kuala Lipis

PULAU PINANG

Gurdwara Sahib Brick Kiln Road
87 Jalan Gurdwara (Jalan Brick Kiln)
10300 Penang

Gurdwara Sahib Khalsa Dharmik Jatha
51 Jalan Patani
10150 Penang

Gurdwara Sahib Police
Jalan Patani
10150 Penang

Gurdwara Sahib Butterworth
Jalan New Ferry
12100 Butterworth

Gurdwara Sahib Perai
Jalan Besar
13600 Perai

KEDAH

Gurdwara Sahib Alor Setar
121 Jalan Langgar
05460 Alor Setar

Wada Gurdwara Sahib Sungai Petani
175 Jalan Kuala Ketil
08000 Sungai Petani

Gurdwara Sahib Kulim
229 Jalan Tunku Putra
09000 Kulim

PERLIS

Gurdwara Sahib Kangar
Jalan Besar
01000 Kangar

KELANTAN

Gurdwara Sahib Kota Bahru
Jalan Bayam
15200 Kota Bahru

Gurdwara Sahib Kuala Krai
18000 Kuala Krai

Gurdwara Sahib Tumpat
16200 Tumpat

SABAH

Gurdwara Sahib Kota Kinabalu / Singh Sabha
Jalan Mat Salleh
88807 Kota Kinabalu

Gurdwara Sahib Sandakan
P.O. Box 391
90007 Sandakan

Gurdwara Sahib Labuan
5120 Jalan Lapangan Terbang
87008 Labuan

Gurdwara Sahib Lahad Datu
91100 Lahad Datu

Gurdwara Committee of Tawau
Off Batu 3, Jalan A Pas
91007 Tawau

SARAWAK

Gurdwara Sahib Kuching
Jalan Masjid
93400 Kuching

Gurdwara Sahib Miri
Jalan Kubu
98000 Miri

Gurdwara Sahib Sibu
32 Jalan Awang Ramli Amit
Section 3
96000 Sibu

Source: http://www.rangbrang.com/religion/gurd-malaysia.html

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-21-2008, 12:52 AM
Naah pehenji, bahut ucchi likdi panjabi.

I speak it well too. They from Pakistan Panjab?
Yea Pakistan Punjab. Grandfather from Ludhiana though and grandmother from Amritsar xD. I think thats cool, historical places :p

north_malaysian
05-21-2008, 01:13 AM
One of my best friend has a Punjabi Muslim grandfather... He said that his grandfather is from Faqir caste.

There is a caste system among Punjabi Muslims too?

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-21-2008, 01:46 AM
Hmm I've never heard of it? Even if there is one, it's obviously cultural...

malayloveislam
05-21-2008, 02:05 AM
Most Punjabis here are from India side of Punjab. There are also Punjabis of Thailand and believe me they are very loyal to Pradesh Thailand. Their Thai is superb and much better than any Thai themselves.

My lecterur too is a Sikh Punjabi, he is a lawyer but part-timing in local university. I love to go to his class because he is very generous and always distributing foods and presents :D sometimes I can sleep in the class when he starting to preach advices LOL... He always told us about his travel to India visiting his grandma in Loghat Penang.

malayloveislam
05-21-2008, 02:11 AM
One of my best friend has a Punjabi Muslim grandfather... He said that his grandfather is from Faqir caste.

There is a caste system among Punjabi Muslims too?

Suppose that every person in India is submitted under castes whatever religion they embrace are.

My friend from Thailand too told me that Buddhist Thai people are submitted under caste system. The caste can be identified through their surname, e.g Saenakun [traditionally written as; Senakulo]. Sena (army) and kulo is from old Javanese means slave or assistant. So the person who bears this surname is from Kshatria caste, but the lowest one because their ancestors are the assistants in the army post.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-21-2008, 02:17 AM
My dad was telling me that our ancestors were Hindu and our family was the higher ranking in the caste system, Brahmin I think. Anyway, Alhamdulillah I'm Muslim! :D

How do u say I love you? in Malay or Penangite.

malayloveislam
05-21-2008, 02:28 AM
I love you in Penangite dialect is:

Chek suka lah kat hang

pronunciation [cheque sooka lar cut hung], I think so in American kind of spelling, hopefully it is.

Oh, Brahmin suppose to be the caste of Panditas. Knowledge is the power. My grandfather from my father side is from Vaisya caste (setthie). His family is from India but travelling and migrating from places to places and ended up here in Malaysia maybe before 18th century at the time it was called Tanah Melayu or The Malay Land :statisfie

Indian culture is prominent in South East Asian area since the first century AD.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-21-2008, 02:33 AM
Our family name is Naik. We're supposed to be like the warriors/fighters ;D Lol I can see where I got it from. I can rip ur face off if u get on my nerves or say something biased. with words of course!

ohh, so ur ancestry is from India. Thats neat. Can u speak anything other than Malay? Maybe a language from India..

malayloveislam
05-21-2008, 04:56 AM
I guess that your ancestors maybe Brahmanas who choose Kshatrians way of living. Is Naik pronounced as Nayak?

My father doesn't have any skill in negotiating business, he is good in fighting and poetry. Well I learn new languages easily by simply listening to people speak or mumbling the sound, many Brahmins in Southern India and Thailand from Suphannaphum [Suwarnabhumi, near northern Malaysia in ancient time] speaks local language fluently which are Malay, Thai, Mon or Khmer with Sanskrit intervention.

I'm not good in Indian languages, but I know several words used in hinduism-buddhism or traditional in Malay and Thai. I use those words when talking with buddhist friends in Thai, and simply change them if talking to muslim like Hindi or Urdu. Maybe I can speak Hindi or Urdu but with upside down grammar and intervened with Pali-Sanskrit :D

north_malaysian
05-21-2008, 06:42 AM
there are many Tamil words in Penangite... especially food...

malayloveislam
05-21-2008, 07:49 AM
there are many Tamil words in Penangite... especially food...

Is that Roti Chanai???? My mother use to cook fish head curry with Carapolleiy as the ingredients, what is it called in english or scientifically huh?... Yea, I think Penangite has a vast loanwords from Tamil or maybe Hindi.

The words that Kokdiang people in Kedah use for criminals' appearance is Prashard or Prahchart, specifically the face of the crook :rollseyes I don't know whether this one is originated from Indian language or not. Is this word being used in Penangite too?

One of my uncle name's Bahadur [bahAdoUr]. That means brave in local northern dialect in Kedah.

north_malaysian
05-21-2008, 08:02 AM
Is that Roti Chanai???? My mother use to cook fish head curry with Carapolleiy as the ingredients, what is it called in english or scientifically huh?... Yea, I think Penangite has a vast loanwords from Tamil or maybe Hindi.

The words that Kokdiang people in Kedah use for criminals' appearance is Prashard or Prahchart, specifically the face of the crook :rollseyes I don't know whether this one is originated from Indian language or not. Is this word being used in Penangite too?

One of my uncle name's Bahadur [bahAdoUr]. That means brave in local northern dialect in Kedah.

Prashard? Never heard of that...

Tamil word = Karripolay, Idli, Rasam, Thosai, Mutte, Shoru, Sappede', Shamlom, porah, apadia etc.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-21-2008, 02:52 PM
I guess that your ancestors maybe Brahmanas who choose Kshatrians way of living. Is Naik pronounced as Nayak?

My father doesn't have any skill in negotiating business, he is good in fighting and poetry. Well I learn new languages easily by simply listening to people speak or mumbling the sound, many Brahmins in Southern India and Thailand from Suphannaphum [Suwarnabhumi, near northern Malaysia in ancient time] speaks local language fluently which are Malay, Thai, Mon or Khmer with Sanskrit intervention.

I'm not good in Indian languages, but I know several words used in hinduism-buddhism or traditional in Malay and Thai. I use those words when talking with buddhist friends in Thai, and simply change them if talking to muslim like Hindi or Urdu. Maybe I can speak Hindi or Urdu but with upside down grammar and intervented with Pali-Sanskrit :D
I'm not sure about Kshatrians, but I know he mentioned Brahmins.
Nah it's not Nayak. Say Nike without the "e" sound at the end :p Hopefully you can get it then lol. Well it seems u know quite a few languages! That's good, u can get around =]
Lol yea I'm good at learnin languages when I want to learn.

north_malaysian
05-22-2008, 05:11 AM
I'm not sure about Kshatrians, but I know he mentioned Brahmins.
Nah it's not Nayak. Say Nike without the "e" sound at the end :p Hopefully you can get it then lol. Well it seems u know quite a few languages! That's good, u can get around =]
Lol yea I'm good at learnin languages when I want to learn.
"Naik" in Malay Language means "going up"

malayloveislam
05-22-2008, 07:12 AM
What do you call Reban Ayam or Hen-House in Penangite dialect?

I call it Lao Ayam at home, some of my friends from Baling district in Kedah called it Ghouk Ayam with a bit nasalized sound when it comes to "m" in Ayam like Terengganu way of pronunciation :omg:

Hey, Baling is a beautiful and tranquilizing place. I visited Baling last three months ago, going to my friend's house in Kampung Pekan Kupang (Kupang Town's Village), many hills there. Tourism spots there in Baling are like Bukit Hijau (Green Hill) and Kolam Air Panas Legong (Legong's Hot spring ponds).

north_malaysian
05-22-2008, 07:48 AM
What do you call Reban Ayam or Hen-House in Penangite dialect?

I call it Lao Ayam at home, some of my friends from Baling district in Kedah called it Ghouk Ayam with a bit nasalized sound when it comes to "m" in Ayam like Terengganu way of pronunciation :omg:

Hey, Baling is a beautiful and tranquilizing place. I visited Baling last three months ago, going to my friend's house in Kampung Pekan Kupang (Kupang Town's Village), many hills there. Tourism spots there in Baling are like Bukit Hijau (Green Hill) and Kolam Air Panas Legong (Legong's Hot spring ponds).
We call it "reban ayam".

I've been to Baling once on the way to Kelantan. I performed prayer at the town's mosque.

malayloveislam
05-22-2008, 09:00 AM
I have watched a movie by local directors who is a Penangite, think that it had been played several times in Malaysian prime TV channels. It is anak Mami The Movie.

Don't you think that the actors and actresses in the movie are a bit over? Because some of them not counting from Southern Malaysia are Kedahans. I suppose that they are struggling in imitating Penangites speak.

I heard many Indian kind of terms such as Nana. How do you use Nana, is it means uncle?

What about Mamak when we go to Muslim Indian stalls or restaurants? Is it also uncle? because term Mami means auntie if I'm not mistaken. I call one of my paternal auntie as Mami, she insists us to call her so. I found that as strange at the time when I am a toddler, we are no Indian or not Penang islanders. Why should we call her like an Indian? until my paternal relatives told us about our Indian ancestry :enough!:

north_malaysian
05-22-2008, 12:44 PM
I have watched a movie by local directors who is a Penangite, think that it had been played several times in Malaysian prime TV channels. It is anak Mami The Movie.

Don't you think that the actors and actresses in the movie are a bit over? Because some of them not counting from Southern Malaysia are Kedahans. I suppose that they are struggling in imitating Penangites speak.

I heard many Indian kind of terms such as Nana. How do you use Nana, is it means uncle?

What about Mamak when we go to Muslim Indian stalls or restaurants? Is it also uncle? because term Mami means auntie if I'm not mistaken. I call one of my paternal auntie as Mami, she insists us to call her so. I found that as strange at the time when I am a toddler, we are no Indian or not Penang islanders. Why should we call her like an Indian? until my paternal relatives told us about our Indian ancestry :enough!:
Mami = Auntie
Mamu = Uncle
Nana = "abang" (husband)
Mamak = Indian Muslim

Those mami movies are over-acting. period. Penangites are not that "over" reaction....

But, "Mami Jarum" does exist in every neighbourhood...

AvarAllahNoor
05-22-2008, 01:47 PM
Yea Pakistan Punjab. Grandfather from Ludhiana though and grandmother from Amritsar xD. I think thats cool, historical places :p
Ah, Amritsar (The Pool Of Nectar) I'd live there once we gain Independence. I hope that's soon! :statisfie

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-22-2008, 03:52 PM
"Naik" in Malay Language means "going up"

Really? Ha. I'll take it like a compliment then xD If you get what I mean lol.

Ah, Amritsar (The Pool Of Nectar) I'd live there once we gain Independence. I hope that's soon! :statisfie
Let's hope so!

malayloveislam
05-23-2008, 08:06 AM
Gosh, never thot that people in Amritsar are struggling for independance. I thought that all people in India agree in a republic. Well, I pray Amritsar gain independance if Sikhs feel they can perform their religion and belief with freedom :statisfie

malayloveislam
05-23-2008, 09:00 AM
We have words derived from Indian language in northern Malay dialects

Kuda : horse
Biaperi : merchant
Saudagar : merchant
Unta : camel

sau [thousand] and dagar [tricks]

Are they used in Punjabi or Hindi in India?

north_malaysian
05-23-2008, 09:04 AM
Gosh, never thot that people in Amritsar are struggling for independance. I thought that all people in India agree in a republic. Well, I pray Amritsar gain independance if Sikhs feel they can perform their religion and belief with freedom :statisfie
AvarAllahNoor should give you a talk about "Khalistan"... :)

malayloveislam
05-23-2008, 10:22 AM

Terlepayh dah Batu Puteh pi ke Singaporah kapiaq....payah gak dok gantong ke mahkamah dunia kapiaq+o(

north_malaysian
05-23-2008, 12:11 PM

Terlepayh dah Batu Puteh pi ke Singaporah kapiaq....payah gak dok gantong ke mahkamah dunia kapiaq+o(
:exhausted

malayloveislam
05-23-2008, 12:21 PM

Sorry, a bit too emotional tho :D anyway we can't do anything since we are just tiny people

north_malaysian
05-24-2008, 03:10 AM
At least we got a couple of rocks...erm...Yay?:blind:

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-24-2008, 04:13 AM

ok lets learn the dialect yall. Tell me something else :D

malayloveislam
05-24-2008, 03:32 PM

In Kedahan dialect, we use the word mengkala for when...

e.g
Mengkala hang nak mai sini?
When are going to come here?

It is synonimous with Bila in standard Malay. I wonder if Penangite dialect too use this word? This word is used by oldies :D

north_malaysian
05-24-2008, 04:13 PM

e.g

It is synonimous with Bila in standard Malay. I wonder if Penangite dialect too use this word? This word is used by oldies :D
Nah... we just use "Bila"...including the old people...

This is the first time I've read "Mengkala"...

malayloveislam
05-31-2008, 03:15 PM

I've just coming back from a kenduri (wedding feast) in Penang today. Before I attend the kenduri, I've made a return to northern Kedah my homeland and visiting Perlis. It has been almost 10 years actually I've never been in Alor Setar (Kedah's capital). I notice a lot of changes in Alor Setar, but the old elements in it are still being preserved. Too bad I didn't bring camera with me so that I can snap some shots and present it here for you.

Hey, I remember the word that we use for clumsy situations in the kenduri. It is berceridau.

E.g

Habeh ilang selipard aku dalam berceridau kat kenduri tadi!
What a luck, I've lost my flip flop shoes in the clumsiness of the feast!

One thing that startled me is that, when I asked my friend who live in Jitra (in Kubang Pasu area) through SMS whether he have any idea about this word or not, but he reply me back, "no, never heard about that funny word, where did you get that?" I guess maybe this word is a classic word in Kedahan dialect, because younger generation never heard about this word? Is this word still being used in any other northern dialects?

AvarAllahNoor
05-31-2008, 08:23 PM
Thankyou, what a gracious chap you are! :thumbs_up

Nawal89
06-01-2008, 04:59 AM

e.g

My cousin come bak from kedah with all her yak and pi and pi yak tak faham anything laaa

malayloveislam
06-01-2008, 05:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nawal89
My cousin come bak from kedah with all her yak and pi and pi yak tak faham anything laaa
Hahaha....maybe your cousin's Kedahan dialect is too old fashion.... Never heard about yak? wut's that? I've only heard Kelantanese always say this exclamatory word "Yaaaak!" for example when they almost falling from the place that they are standing on or when their belongings fall from their hand. I think Yaak อยา in Kelantanese is a Thai word... In Kedah it is traditionally uttered as Nya ญา. Means Jangan or Don't. But in Kedah, we never use it together in Malay that we speak :D

Nawal89
06-01-2008, 09:25 AM
Alo Sta'
Lol me and her call it the yak. Sorryyy. But it's interesting to listen to.

north_malaysian
06-02-2008, 12:42 AM
Hahaha....maybe your cousin's Kedahan dialect is too old fashion.... Never heard about yak? wut's that? I've only heard Kelantanese always say this exclamatory word "Yaaaak!" for example when they almost falling from the place that they are standing on or when their belongings fall from their hand. I think Yaak อยา in Kelantanese is a Thai word... In Kedah it is traditionally uttered as Nya ญา. Means Jangan or Don't. But in Kedah, we never use it together in Malay that we speak :D
Never heard of "yak" or "nya" for "jangan":blind:

malayloveislam
06-02-2008, 12:13 PM
That Nya is Kedahan Thai word, means Jangan, Kedahan use the traditional pronunciation of Thai script. I heard my Kelantanese friends always use this Thai Jangan word with different pronunciation which is Yaak. It is an exclamatory word in Kelantanese Malay I think, when something is goin' to fall :?

north_malaysian
07-28-2008, 08:58 AM
That Nya is Kedahan Thai word, means Jangan, Kedahan use the traditional pronunciation of Thai script. I heard my Kelantanese friends always use this Thai Jangan word with different pronunciation which is Yaak. It is an exclamatory word in Kelantanese Malay I think, when something is goin' to fall :?
and we Penangites just say "Jangan" or "Takmau"

RangBrang
02-08-2009, 12:34 PM
Sat Sri Akal to All Sikh Brothers & Sisters and Howdy to All Others!

It was great to see the list of Gurdwaras given here. Interesting how North_Malaysian, who is listed as a Muslim, know this list so thoroughly!

How comes?

north_malaysian
02-10-2009, 03:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by RangBrang
Sat Sri Akal to All Sikh Brothers & Sisters and Howdy to All Others!

It was great to see the list of Gurdwaras given here. Interesting how North_Malaysian, who is listed as a Muslim, know this list so thoroughly!

How comes?
i can give the list of churches, buddhist temples, hindu temples, taoist temples too etc... LOL... thanks to GOOGLE...

in my hometown, Kulim ... there is one gurdwara too ....

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.