/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Help for GCSE Students

Ameeratul Layl
08-30-2006, 12:16 PM
:sl:

Holidays are coming to an end and we are all expected to work hard for the new academic year. Why not?
In which case, I thought it'd be a fantastic idea to approach all the to-be GCSE students and tell them...Don't worry, work hard and remember that all success is from Allah the All Mighty so if at any point you don't achieve the grade you have worked hard for, never give up...I didn't. Allah ALWAYS has something better instore for you.

Every year at school I failed until I sat my GCSEs and proved I COULD do it. And how did I do it? I remembered Allah and did all I could do, leaving all else in His Hands. I passed!

I am in college now, well, I will be A2 after the holidays. So, if anyone needs any advise or any help with their coursework mark schemes. i AM more than WILLING to help. Just PM me if you feel you want to keep it private.

Otherwise, keep your head up high, don't waste your time and work through those books like there is no tomorrow. I can assure you, learning can be so fun once you put your heart into it, because it is then...that you pass and feel you have achieved!

Enjoy the rest of your holidays and like I said, if you have any queries - feel free to ask!

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
The Ruler
08-30-2006, 12:22 PM
salam sis...dis is a real gud thread n i fink all de GCSE student wil benefit frm it insha'allah....i relly need help in chemistry...its the equillibrium topic...whats de difference between dynamic equllibrium and jus equillibrium??

Ameeratul Layl
08-30-2006, 12:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by dARk cRyStAl
salam sis...dis is a real gud thread n i fink all de GCSE student wil benefit frm it insha'allah....i relly need help in chemistry...its the equillibrium topic...whats de difference between dynamic equllibrium and jus equillibrium??

Yes, I thought I should approch the GCSE Students to-be as I know how it feels to be under pressure and as no one to help me (only child), it can get too much. But, like I said, if one leaves everything in Allah's Hands, all will be good.

Now, when I was doing my GCSEs I practised alot on GCSE Bitesize and I strongly recommend this. Look through the topics, if you don't understand read through it on Bitesize, do the exercises and go to a revision book and practise the exercises from there.

Sister dark Crystal, I hope this helps:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebit...ry/38573.shtml

p.s: JazakAllah for the reps, you know who you all are.

The Ruler
08-30-2006, 12:50 PM

tnx 4 de link sis...but it dnt say much abt jus 'equillibrium' and it dnt xplain wt happens wen de equillibrium lies to de left or right...wt does dat mean??

if u or sum1 can xplain dat ere den mayb id v a clear idea abt wt it relly is :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Al-Hanbali
08-30-2006, 01:00 PM

This thread is a great idea sis. Jazakallah. :)

History so much to remember :heated:

And Geography coursewok is just :heated: :heated:

Arwa
08-30-2006, 01:04 PM
wa alaikum assalam

Geography coursework was easy peasy! What board are you doing? And have you done it?

Al-Hanbali
08-30-2006, 01:37 PM

Im doing AQA for Geography and I'm still currently doing it :)

Arwa
08-30-2006, 01:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Taymullah

wa alaikum assalam

oooh... I did WJEC OCR... What's you coursework title? I could help if you wanted me to. :?

Ameeratul Layl
08-30-2006, 01:47 PM

Let me know what you are finding difficult, I have done AQA. I should be able to help. I still have my book.

H4RUN
08-30-2006, 01:48 PM

This thread is a great idea sis. Jazakallah. :)

Geography coursework, my oh my! it's kind of easy but looooong. trust me just TRY and stick to schedule...cos im tellin u, if u dont it's going to stack up lol...i dont know what your teacher told u, but i think for every mark u get, the board doubles it....so try and pick up lots of marks by using overlays, pictures, graphs, just dont make it plain and boring...
and ask your teacher if u can have a look at the previous years work...u can get good ideas...ofcourse dont copy word for word :p it just keeps u in check....if it's on shopping, then you're all free to PM moi, i got plenty of info...:)

Ameeratul Layl
08-30-2006, 01:50 PM
salam,

I also recommend you go by the mark scheme very strictly.

wasalam

strider
08-30-2006, 07:46 PM
Assalamu alaikum

Double science with the AQA examination board, anyone? If so, revise from their guide it has 'all you need to know for the exam, nothing more.'

Don't confuse yourself with all these long words (equilibrium and all that stuff.) I was like 'huh?' when i read the question about dynamic equilibrium, but after reading the link provided i remembered it fell under reversible reactions. Learn the theories (for science subjects) thoroughly because they form data handling questions where you have to apply what you have learnt to given situations. If you can't handle class textbooks(don't worry, i think some people are paid to make our lives hard otherwise they would be out of a job!) then try some straight forward revision guys. The 'GCSE Sucess' series published by Letts are top.

strider
08-30-2006, 07:47 PM
Oh, and do exam papers as they will give you an idea as to how your exams will be. Make sure you do it in the time allocated for each paper, it will help in you managing your time and finishing your paper on time in your real exam.

The Ruler
08-31-2006, 10:11 AM

goin thru my chem book page by page, im stuk on de equllibrium fing n i cant move on cuz i need dat for de oda chaptas....i relly cant get ma head round dat topic :-\

fink of dem as a long story ul b able to get dat easily...rememberin a story is alot easier dan rememberin facts :happy:....i thank Allah 4 ma history teacha he jus makes evryfing soo easy...its kinda lyk easy marks all laid out for u ta pik up :happy:...

strider
08-31-2006, 11:28 AM
Assalamu alaikum

Sis, what don't you understand about it?

Understand this:

equilibrium= balanced
dynamic=moving

Put it together, dynamic equilibrium (literally moving balance) is basically things moving but because they are balanced you don't see anything changing on the outset. It's called a reversible reaction in chemistry. Understood? I wish i knew where my terminal revision guide was, it had alot of examples in it.

The Ruler
08-31-2006, 11:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by strider
Assalamu alaikum

Sis, what don't you understand about it?

Understand this:

equilibrium= balanced
dynamic=moving

Put it together, dynamic equilibrium (literally moving balance) is basically things moving but because they are balanced you don't see anything changing on the outset. It's called a reversible reaction in chemistry. Understood? I wish i knew where my terminal revision guide was, it had alot of examples in it.
ok i understand dat bit...but wt i dnt undastand is dat wt it means wen it says dat de equillibrium lies to de left or wen it lies to de ryt :? :?

strider
08-31-2006, 11:33 AM
ok i understand dat bit...but wt i dnt undastand is dat wt it means wen it says dat de equillibrium lies to de left or wen it lies to de ryt :? :?

Equal on both sides. Whatever amount is on right side, it the same as what is on the left side.

The Ruler
08-31-2006, 11:36 AM
Equal on both sides. Whatever amount is on right side, it the same as what is on the left side.
das dynamic eqillibrium ryt??...lyk wen dey show it as an equation, 1 od de arrows is longa dan de oda :?

strider
08-31-2006, 11:38 AM
das dynamic eqillibrium ryt??...lyk wen dey show it as an equation, 1 od de arrows is longa dan de oda :?

Dynamic equilibrium is just another word for reversible reactions, because if you were to reverse one side over to the other in essence, the amount on each side will not change(remain balanced)

strider
08-31-2006, 11:39 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebit...ionsrev1.shtml

The Ruler
08-31-2006, 11:44 AM
Dynamic equilibrium is just another word for reversible reactions, because if you were to reverse one side over to the other in essence, the amount on each side will not change(remain balanced)
i fink i kinda geddit it sis...tnx :D :D :D....wud giv ya reps...but de system dnt let me :(

tnx a LOT neways...i mean it :happy:

strider
08-31-2006, 11:47 AM
Assalamu alaikum

I'll rep you instead for being such a lovely sis. [MOUSE]Everybody say 'aaaw'[/MOUSE]

Sis, what examination board are you with? If it's AQA Spec A i strongly recommend that you buy their revision guide!

The Ruler
08-31-2006, 11:48 AM
Sis, what examination board are you with? If it's AQA Spec A i strongly recommend that you buy their revision guide!
i fink ours is edexcel..
btw tnx 4 de reps :)

strider
08-31-2006, 11:54 AM
Assalamu alaikum

Hmm Lonsdale do Edexcel Specs too. check here Lonsdale revision guides are tops!

Ameeratul Layl
08-31-2006, 02:27 PM
Salam,

Sister dark crystal to understand the concept of equilibrium, I recommend you grasp strongly the concept of reversible reactions.

So lets begin shall we, take your time to read:

Reversible Reactions

In a reversible reaction the products can react to produce the original reactants again

When writing chemical equations for reversible reactions, we do not use the usual one-way arrow. Instead, we use two arrows, each with just half an arrowhead - the top one pointing right and the bottom one pointing left ( mind my arrows).

ammonium chloride <--
--> ammonia + hydrogen chloride

The equation shows that:

(*)ammonium chloride (a white solid) can break down to form ammonia and hydrogen chloride
(*) ammonia and hydrogen chloride (colourless gases) can react to form ammonium chloride again.

Have a break and then continue!

Ameeratul Layl
08-31-2006, 02:29 PM
Now, onto equilibrium... :)

First I want you to understand the two main terms:

Reactant: A reactant is a substance put together with another subtacnce to undergo a chemical reaction.

Product: A product is a substance formed in a chemical reaction.

So,

If a chemical reaction happens in a container in which one or more of the reactants or products can escape, you have an open system.

If a chemical reaction happens in a container in which none of the reactants or products can escape, you have a closed system

Reversible reactions that happen in a closed system eventually reach an equilibrium.

Chemical equilibrium

In a chemical equilibrium the concentrations of reactants and products do not change. But the forward and reverse reactions have not stopped - they are still going on, but at the same rate as each other.

Imagine.....

walking the wrong way on an escalator - at the same speed as the escalator, but in the opposite direction. Your legs would still be walking forwards, and the escalator would continue to move backwards - but the net result would be that you stay in exactly the same place. This is what happens in an equilibrium. .......I also suggest you try this as it will help you grasp the concept. Lets go shopping!! :)

Let me know if you understand this so far....

The Ruler
09-01-2006, 10:57 AM

yup i understand that far...and the examplle in ma book is the same as de person walkin n de escalator goin downwards. but ders a picture dat shows de person nearer to de top n anoda 1 dat shows de person neareer to de bottom. in dat place de text book mention stuff abt de equillibrium lyin to de right or de left...n das wt i dnt get :uuh:

tnx for de xplanation abuv tho...i undrstand dat completely alhamdulillah :D

Hijaabi22
09-01-2006, 11:27 AM
and guys if u do cwap in ya mock GCSEs jus remeber dont let it get U donw, I got Gz n Fz n Uz IN MA MOCKS, CAME OUT TOPS IN THE REAL THING THO

and pick subjects which U enjoy dont jus do wat ya m8s are duin

n remember to REVIIIIIIIIIZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ :uhwhat

Hijaabi22
09-01-2006, 11:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ameeratul Layl
Now, onto equilibrium... :)

First I want you to understand the two main terms:

Reactant: A reactant is a substance put together with another subtacnce to undergo a chemical reaction.

Product: A product is a substance formed in a chemical reaction.

So,

If a chemical reaction happens in a container in which one or more of the reactants or products can escape, you have an open system.

If a chemical reaction happens in a container in which none of the reactants or products can escape, you have a closed system

Reversible reactions that happen in a closed system eventually reach an equilibrium.

Chemical equilibrium

In a chemical equilibrium the concentrations of reactants and products do not change. But the forward and reverse reactions have not stopped - they are still going on, but at the same rate as each other.

Imagine.....

walking the wrong way on an escalator - at the same speed as the escalator, but in the opposite direction. Your legs would still be walking forwards, and the escalator would continue to move backwards - but the net result would be that you stay in exactly the same place. This is what happens in an equilibrium. .......I also suggest you try this as it will help you grasp the concept. Lets go shopping!! :)

Let me know if you understand this so far....
:uhwhat

The Ruler
09-01-2006, 11:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~pInK cHiCk~
and guys if u do cwap in ya mock GCSEs jus remeber dont let it get U donw, I got Gz n Fz n Uz IN MA MOCKS, CAME OUT TOPS IN THE REAL THING THO

and pick subjects which U enjoy dont jus do wat ya m8s are duin

n remember to REVIIIIIIIIIZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ :uhwhat
:uuh: :uuh:...o-keee...lol sis gud advice :thumbs_up :) altho it kinda took me a few mins b4 i cud wrk out wtz ritten...lol

afriend2
09-01-2006, 01:32 PM
Salaam,

JazakAllah for making the thread Ameeratul Layl! .... I would be in here quite a bit....if my dad wasn't limiting my time on the comp! :cry:

But if I do need help...(which I definitely will :)) then inshAllah I'll come here and post down a looooongg list of questions!

Wassalam :peace:

Ameeratul Layl
09-01-2006, 02:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nazia
Salaam,

JazakAllah for making the thread Ameeratul Layl! .... I would be in here quite a bit....if my dad wasn't limiting my time on the comp! :cry:

But if I do need help...(which I definitely will :)) then inshAllah I'll come here and post down a looooongg list of questions!

No problem sister. Just make sure you are prepared to work hard and I will do my bit in helping,inshAllah.

Sister with the 'equilibrium' problem, do you undertand the topic or do O need to go over it again?

The Ruler
09-02-2006, 03:21 PM
Sister with the 'equilibrium' problem, do you undertand the topic or do O need to go over it again?
i understand now sis....tnx :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Ameeratul Layl
09-02-2006, 06:27 PM
salam,

Alhamdullilah, anymore problems, let me know via PM if you wish.

A happy student!
Next!

Wasalam

afriend2
09-03-2006, 03:50 PM
Salaam,

Woah...I am preparing...(my dad won't rest until I do :)) .... I already have a timetable...which is really helpful, but I find myself getting bored and coming on here. But the other sisters...(such as Umm Shaheed and Taggy all know that I haven't been on as much as usual...so Alhamdulillah for that! )

I'm sorted in maths, and english....have a lot of problems in french! :cry: But everytime I enter the french thread my head feels like it's going to burst! :cry: Anyone want to be my very own french tutor?

Al-Hanbali
09-03-2006, 03:53 PM

French. I gave that up ages agoooo. :)

afriend2
09-03-2006, 03:56 PM
Salaam,

In my school you're not allowed to drop languages! I thought french would be easy.....but it turns out it sounds like "blah blah blah" :cry:

Al-Hanbali
09-03-2006, 03:57 PM

Salaam,

In my school you're not allowed to drop languages! I thought french would be easy.....but it turns out it sounds like "blah blah blah" :cry:

Yh I couldnt have dropped it either but luckly I moved to a madrassah :)

afriend2
09-03-2006, 04:23 PM

Yh I couldnt have dropped it either but luckly I moved to a madrassah :)
Salaam,

I don't think I can move to a madrassah just to drop french though...:cry:

Can't you buy those tapes that play when you sleep, and by the next day you're speaking french?

Al-Hanbali
09-03-2006, 04:27 PM
Salaam,

Can't you buy those tapes that play when you sleep, and by the next day you're speaking french?

LOL :giggling:

errrrrrrrrrr.............maybe U could give it try and see what happens :)

IceQueen~
09-03-2006, 04:27 PM
ahh...GCSEs... they were the easy days...
but don't get too confident- you still have to work ;)

afriend2
09-03-2006, 04:33 PM
Salaam,

Marya, you're still helping me with art right? :)

And Taymullah....if it works with subliminal messages, it should work with french right? I shall now have to take (borrow of course :)) a tape from Madame!

IceQueen~
09-03-2006, 04:34 PM
'course I'm helping with art!! ;D
when it comes to art- I'm there! ;)

Al-Hanbali
09-03-2006, 04:46 PM
Salaam,

And Taymullah....if it works with subliminal messages, it should work with french right? I shall now have to take (borrow of course :)) a tape from Madame!

LOL Yh it should...only way to find out is to try it :)

afriend2
09-04-2006, 05:44 PM
Salaam,

Erm the tape thing won't work....I can't sleep when there's a french woman talking! It just doesn't work!

Al-Hanbali
09-04-2006, 09:37 PM
Salaam,

Erm the tape thing won't work....I can't sleep when there's a french woman talking! It just doesn't work!

LOL sis :giggling:

I dont think any1 could sleep with someone goin on and on:)

Ameeratul Layl
09-05-2006, 09:38 AM
salam,

Right, so tapes don't help.

In which case, I strongly advise you:

1. go over your book from the beginning and learn the vocab inside out.

2.Understand how you have to form a sentence by remebering the past,present and future tences.

3.Then, using those words sit and write a few sentences.

Look at your exercise book and try and jog your memory of how you formed the sentences.

I know it seems alot to do but thats life. Nothing comes easy.

Wasalam

Duhaa
09-05-2006, 11:13 AM
Salaam,

I'm sorted in maths, and english....have a lot of problems in french! :cry: But everytime I enter the french thread my head feels like it's going to burst! :cry: Anyone want to be my very own french tutor?

I absolutely love French, soooo much that I did it for my A-levels too ;D
And alhamdulillah I had a great teacher when I was in Year 7 who actually came from France. Then when I was doing my G.C.S.E's I had another excellent teacher who made french look like a piece of cake.....

So if you need any help then I'm here insha Allah... :happy:

Just tell me what you need help in eg vocabulary
or presentation
or oral questions
or anything else.......:rollseyes

And I'll try and tell you the best way to learn it insha Allah.

format_quote Originally Posted by Dhul-Fiqhar

Tell me about it.
But History is another subject I love but it does depend on what I'm studying because i did about the two world wars and the cold war and Germany and how it fared after the war etc and it was all interesting....

It was the AQA board so if you need any help then I'm willing....

Ameeratul Layl
09-05-2006, 12:45 PM
salam,

JazakAllah sister Duhaa, I am sure sister nazia will be pleased.

Wasalam

Duhaa
09-05-2006, 12:47 PM

No, jazakillah to you sister as I would never have thought to make a thread like this one. :)

Ameeratul Layl
09-05-2006, 12:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Duhaa

No, jazakillah to you sister as I would never have thought to make a thread like this one. :)

Can't wait for you to begin teaching.
In which case, I think it would be a good idea if you begin a French thread in the language section.
What do you think? Then, you could be a true french teacher of Li.

Duhaa
09-05-2006, 12:56 PM
In which case, I think it would be a good idea if you begin a French thread in the language section.
There already is one. But like sis nazia said it goes over our heads ie I'm not that good.

What do you think? Then, you could be a true french teacher of Li.
And no thanks I'll stick to tutoring like one person ;D
French teacher of LI, give me a break ;) That would have to be someone whose first language is French. I only said I could do GCSE french or A-level. Sheesh now I'm getting scared. LOL :D

Ameeratul Layl
09-05-2006, 12:59 PM
salam,

You should be confident not scared!
Keep watching this thread for students who will need your help.

wasalam

afriend2
09-10-2006, 11:38 AM
Salaam,

JazakAllah Ameeratul Layl for the advice...inshAllah I'm starting some revision classes after school (even less time on LI that means :cry:)

JazakAllah Duhaa, and also for your PM as well....inshAllah I'm replying to that now...it may be long and a load of nonsense even in english! :lol:

Ameeratul Layl
09-12-2006, 12:21 PM
Salaam,

JazakAllah Ameeratul Layl for the advice...inshAllah I'm starting some revision classes after school (even less time on LI that means :cry:) Wassalam :peace:
I'm glad about the extra lessons.
Dont worry about the less time on Li. It will be worth it when you find you have passed your exams. And don't say you won't. You have to be positive!

wasalam and keep working hard!

The Ruler
09-13-2006, 08:50 PM

can sum1 xplain proportions in maths to me plz :-\

Ameeratul Layl
09-14-2006, 11:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by +*Glacier*+

can sum1 xplain proportions in maths to me plz :-\

Work through all the pages and then try the test at the end. If you are still uncomfortable, let me know:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebit...tionrev2.shtml

wasalam

The Ruler
09-14-2006, 12:35 PM

Work through all the pages and then try the test at the end. If you are still uncomfortable, let me know:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebit...tionrev2.shtml

wasalam
guess wt sis...i dun all de 9 questions n i got em all ryt :D:D:D:D....al tnx to u sis :rose:

Ameeratul Layl
09-14-2006, 07:00 PM
guess wt sis...i dun all de 9 questions n i got em all ryt :D:D:D:D....al tnx to u sis :rose:

Oh well done *hugs* I really am so proud of you. So, it wasn't that difficult then. :D *hugs again because she is so happy*

It's not thanks to me, its all Praise to Allah and a pat on the back for you for doing the questions.

Keep up the good work!

wasalam

Ameeratul Layl
09-16-2006, 03:55 PM
salam,

People, please don't be afraid to ask any questions. There is always someone here to help.InshAllah.

wasalam

afriend2
09-17-2006, 11:19 AM
Salaam,

Okay...well as we have seen the tape thingy doesn't work...and now I'm stuck on my french homework, which is to write 2 pages about holidays!!!

Well it's not thaaat bad, but I've forgotten the structures of 2 sentences...! How do I say:

We stayed at a hotel, which had everything from snack bars, to swimming pools.

And...

My aunts and uncles came and visited us, and later on we went to my cousin's (female) wedding?

Sum-Muslim-Gal
09-17-2006, 11:47 AM
french hhmmh...sowie sis seems like yrs ago i did dat n no am not old lol...
u taking GCSE french??...gud gud

hpe u get sum help sis am sure sum1 will knw ur answer

afriend2
09-17-2006, 06:46 PM
Salaam,

:lol: Don't worry sis....I'll just carry on looking at my french book, staring at it blankly! (And don't you say it's my usual face Amani or Makkiyah) !!! LoL

Sum-Muslim-Gal
09-17-2006, 09:31 PM
lol...sista...yeh dats wat i do wen am lost lol

Al-Hanbali
09-17-2006, 09:38 PM

Im not sure if this is right but here it goes anyway: :)

Salaam,

Okay...well as we have seen the tape thingy doesn't work...and now I'm stuck on my french homework, which is to write 2 pages about holidays!!!

Well it's not thaaat bad, but I've forgotten the structures of 2 sentences...! How do I say:

We stayed at a hotel, which had everything from snack bars, to swimming pools.
Nous sommes rest&#233;s &#224; un h&#244;tel, qui a eu tout des snack-bars, aux piscines.

And...

My aunts and uncles came and visited us, and later on we went to my cousin's (female) wedding? Wassalam
Mes tantes et oncles sont venus chez nous, et plus tard nous sommes all&#233;s au mariage de mon cousin

Duhaa
09-19-2006, 08:39 AM

Im not sure if this is right but here it goes anyway: :)

Nous sommes rest&#233;s &#224; un h&#244;tel, qui a eu tout des snack-bars, aux piscines.

That's great :bravo:
This is how I wrote it: Nous sommes rest&#233;s dans un h&#244;tel. Il y a &#233;t&#233; toute une gamme de possibilit&#233;s y compris les piscines et les restaurants.

Mes tantes et oncles sont venus chez nous, et plus tard nous sommes all&#233;s au mariage de mon cousin
And this one I wrote like this: Mes tantes et mes oncles sont venus et ils ont visit&#233; nous. Plus tard nous sommes all&#233;s au mariage de ma cousine .........because she did say female cousin.

Nazia, what I'm wondering is if you have to write it word for word from the english sentence you gave us.
What my French teacher used to tell me is that try and make it easier for yourself by not giving a true account of what you actually did because its usually harder ;D . Okay you can say some things that are true for example in the sentence you gave you could have something like 'we stayed at a hotel and in the mornings we swam in the swimming pool and in the evenings we ate at the snack bars' which conveys the same thing that you told us, uses past tense AND is far easier to translate.

And the other thing is sometimes (actually most of the times) the English does not translate straight into French. So where you've written 'My aunts and uncles came and visited....' you shouldn't technically translate the 'came'.................................but I did. ;D

But if it was a sentence that your teacher gave you to translate then ignore moi :rollseyes

Ameeratul Layl
09-19-2006, 01:56 PM
salam,

I'm learning. :)

Wasalam

Al-Hanbali
09-19-2006, 04:49 PM

Can anyone help on Trigonometry (Higer Tier). Its soooo confusing "COS" "SIN" "TAN" ? :)

ameen
09-19-2006, 04:54 PM

Can anyone help on Trigonometry (Higer Tier). Its soooo confusing "COS" "SIN" "TAN" ? :)

salam,

can you be a bit more specific please?

Al-Hanbali
09-19-2006, 04:57 PM

errrrrrrrm.....just in general :)

seeker_of_ilm
09-19-2006, 05:01 PM

Well, seeing as you are having trouble with it, you could try this site:

http://www.mathsrevision.net/gcse/index.php

Scroll down til you see trigonometry on the left menu.

ameen
09-19-2006, 05:01 PM

errrrrrrrm.....just in general :)
salam,

in that case, please see the BBC Bitesize website, under the category: "Shape, Space and Measures" :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/maths/

wsalam

Ameeratul Layl
09-19-2006, 07:17 PM
salam,

Bitesize is really good to follow. But make sure you ARE following it.
If you need further help with Trig, let me now.

By the way, there is a way to learn the laws of Trig (you may know already but for the benefit of those who don't).

SOH CAH TOA

Sin = Opp / Hyp

Cos = Adj/Hyp

Tan = Opp/Adj

I may have made a mistake, so please correct me if I have.inshAllah.

wasalam

Sum-Muslim-Gal
09-19-2006, 07:24 PM
^^me thinking thats rite sis :)

afriend2
09-20-2006, 04:48 PM
Salaam,

JazakAllah Duhaa and Dhul - Fiqhar! :D I really appreciate the help....
And Duhaa, the translation does'nt actually need to be exact, and as long as the gist is ok...then it should be fine...!!!

Al-Hanbali
09-20-2006, 04:54 PM

Jazakallah sis Ameeratul Layl, ameen and bro seeker_of_ilm :)

The Ruler
09-20-2006, 05:51 PM

u can remembr de trig fing lyk dis 'SOHCAHTOA' in wich S=O/H, C=A/H, T=O/A

S = sine
C = cosine
T = tangent
A = adjacent
O = opposite
H = hypoteneuse (das how u spel it ryt :? :?)

ders also de 3d trig...das A* level...das wt mis sed...dat 1s easy too :happy:

v fun :D

Al-Hanbali
09-20-2006, 05:58 PM

YH thats, easy but the graphs are a little confusin :)

The Ruler
09-20-2006, 05:59 PM

i dnt recal ne trig graphs...mayb i jus cant rememba but wil do if c an xample...can u giv 1 :?

Arwa
09-20-2006, 06:21 PM

wa alaikum assalam

oooh I know what you meaaaan!

http://www.mathsrevision.net/gcse/pages.php?page=39

Does that help? Scroll down to the graphs..

Al-Hanbali
09-20-2006, 06:30 PM

Yh sis thats it. Jazakallah :)

Arwa
09-20-2006, 06:30 PM
Here are 2 more links that you may find useful insha'Allah.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebit...hs/36825.shtml

http://www.mymaths.co.uk/integrate/f...c=trigonometry

I wish I could have helped you further.. but I didn't take higher for maths! :happy:

Duhaa
09-21-2006, 10:01 AM
I think for me, the Letts Maths Higher Book helped loads.

http://shop.letts-successzone.com/icat/1858059887main <-- This one

.......And an excellent teacher and loads of past exam papers :D

09-21-2006, 10:04 AM
about the SOHCAHTOA thingy, u can remember it as sukka toa (dried up well) ;D

------
09-21-2006, 10:11 AM
NO NO NO that just killed it

Keep it as

SOH CAH TOA

Sin Opp Hyp
Cos Adj Hyp
Tan Opp Adj

09-21-2006, 10:12 AM
:p Nope my way is better.

And about the sin and cos graphs it's sin 0,0 - cos 0,1 :D

Duhaa
09-21-2006, 10:14 AM
.........If only you were there when I was doing my GCSE's. ;)

Ameeratul Layl
09-21-2006, 11:43 AM
salam,

It is nice that you are discussing which form is better to remember the trig rules but it would be nice to just keep it as: Providing the info the student needs help on.
They themselves can make the decision on whos format is better.

JazakAllah

wasalam

09-21-2006, 12:42 PM
i was only kidding sis :) but yeah ok. :)

afriend2
09-21-2006, 04:51 PM
Salaam,

Woah, it seems like the only reason I log onto LI is to recieve help for my french work! :D:D

So, erm we were given a list of sentences ( a very long list :cry:) and were told to translate them into french. I've done it, but I'm confused as usual!

Can someone translate this into french please...so that I can compare!

In the afternoon I ate a big bar of chocolate with my brother. I don't want to eat anything now!

JazakAllah in advance!

Al-Hanbali
09-21-2006, 05:40 PM

I think this is how you say it :)

L'apr&#232;s-midi j'ai mang&#233; une grande barre de chocolat avec mon fr&#232;re. Je ne veux manger rien maintenant

afriend2
10-08-2006, 12:34 PM
Salaam,

JazakAllah everyone :)

Anyways...this is kinda off-topic, however it sort of ties in...

Has anyone given in any of their college applications yet?

The Ruler
10-08-2006, 12:36 PM

i got an application form from dis gals gramma skul but im nt even sure am gonna b ere in Reading afta ma GCSEs :uuh:

afriend2
10-08-2006, 01:19 PM
Salaam,

Why? You thinking of moving from Reading??

Erm, I got my application from Islamic College...inshAllah that's the one for me :) Don't really know what to write though :(

The Ruler
10-08-2006, 01:26 PM

myt move bak ta B'ham or evn E london ;)

afriend2
10-08-2006, 01:32 PM
Salaam,

If you're ever in E.London you give me a shout and I'll treat you to some PFC. :)

But...don't you have to go college hunting soon though? Because aren't there deadlines? Man...I have soo many questions...

I asked my sister..and she said it was ages ago and she can't remember...but she was only in year 11, 3 years ago!!!

The Ruler
10-08-2006, 01:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nazzy wazzy fazzy bear
But...don't you have to go college hunting soon though? Because aren't there deadlines? Man...I have soo many questions...
hmmm....in reading ders only 1 gals sixth form das has gud results....our skuls sixth form is closin dis yr so i cant go der....n de rest r all mixd n ders no islamic skuls round let alone colleges :-\

Duhaa
10-08-2006, 03:39 PM
Salaam,

Has anyone given in any of their college applications yet?

As far as I know, depending on which college you're going to, there's different deadlines and different requirements....

So for example at the college i went to I applied before the Christmas Holidays (so when I was in Year 11) and I got my interview after the new year. Depending on who applies first, they get the interview first. So basically first come first serve and if its a private college its better to apply as soon as possible. That way you have a better chance of getting in and an earlier interview means no worries during your GCSE exams.

Regarding the form that you have to fill out, its usually a different layout from other colleges but asking for similar details. But really there's nothing to worry about as long as you get it done. It's when you're applying for university that you have to start worrying...........:rollseyes

The Ruler
10-22-2006, 12:20 PM

i got my modules 7 and 9 after like 2 and half weeks....i really dont know what to revise :-\...any suggestions :-\...its like...everytime i read the text book, i go crazy :heated:

Arwa
10-22-2006, 12:49 PM
wa alaikum assalam

Which subject is this?

The Ruler
10-22-2006, 01:05 PM

^ double science :-\

Arwa
10-22-2006, 01:07 PM
wa alaikum assalam

Are they still doing modules?? I thought they stopped?

Anyways, it's really easy. Do you have your white syllabus book for science?

The Ruler
10-22-2006, 01:29 PM

yeah they are still doing the modules imsad....and whats the white book thingamajig :?

Al-Hanbali
10-22-2006, 01:46 PM

Yh same here I got 3 Modules in about 2 weeks or so and i still aint revised anything. :)

The Ruler
10-22-2006, 01:56 PM

this biomass thingamajig and that food web and all that...not to mention the speed/time/dstace graphs, braking/stopping distace....they just do my head in :-\

Al-Hanbali
10-22-2006, 02:00 PM

There's sooooooo many equations to remember :heated:

The Ruler
10-22-2006, 02:07 PM

use the triangle...that's like 3 in 1 and kinda easier to remember...but then again you could use logic...as in why does work = force x mass...and that would be easier to remember...and when asked for mass for a given force and work done, then you could calculate by re-thingying the equation...that's kinda easy...well it seems easy when am explaining...but when i got the paper in front i go all cross eyes :-\

how about listing all the formulae as a brainstorm kind of thing here so that it would be a sort of help i think :?

Arwa
10-22-2006, 07:16 PM
wa alaikum assalam

Lol.. when you go back to school, as your teacher if you could have the syllabus for your subject. and just learn that off by heart.

secondly, do lotsssssssssssss and lots of past papers. We used to revise off them in school and man do they help a lot or what! Sometimes you just get a copy of a past question and that happened in 2 of my papers! :)

formulae... just learn them and remember when you need to use them. It might help remembering them if you practise on them.

If you don't understand anything, just give a shout. :)

ameen
10-23-2006, 11:04 AM
how about listing all the formulae as a brainstorm kind of thing here so that it would be a sort of help i think :?
salam,

I have a test in a few days time, called the BMAT ( Biomedical Admissions Test - http://www.bmat.org.uk/index.html ).

As part of the test, I am required to know the Physics formulae at GCSE level - so I have listed all the formulae I could gather below.

Please let me know if I have missed any:

Pressure = Force / Area

Power = Voltage x Current

Voltage = Current x Resistance

Energy Transferred = Power x Time

Cost of Electricity = Units of Electricity x Price Per Unit

Force = Mass x Acceleration

Weight = Mass x Gravity (9.81 N/kg)

Speed = Distance / Time

Velocity = Displacement / Time

Acceleration = (Final Velocity - Initial Velocity) / Time

Moment = Force x Distance

Kinetic Energy = 0.5 x Mass x Velocity^2

Gravitational Potential Energy = Mass x Gravity (9.81 N/kg) x Height

Work Done = Force x Distance

Power = Work Done / Time

Frequency = 1 / (Time-Period of 1 Oscillation of Wave)

Velocity of a Wave = Frequency x Wavelength

Efficiency = (Work Done / Useful Energy Out) / Total Energy In

Charge = Current x Time

Energy Transferred = Voltage x Charge

Voltage Across Primary Coil&#160;&#160;&#160;&#160;&#160;&#160;&#160;&#16 0;&#160;&#160;&#160;&#160;&#160;&#160;&#160;&#160 ;Number of Turns on Primary Coil
________________________ &#160;&#160;&#160;= &#160;&#160; _____________________________

Voltage Across Secondary Coil&#160;&#160;&#160;&#160;&#160;&#160;&#160;&#16 0;&#160;&#160;&#160;Number of Turns on Secondary Coil
&#160;

The Ruler
10-23-2006, 11:35 AM
Kinetic Energy = 0.5 x Mass x Velocity^2

i dont understand that...why 0.5 :confused:

and if you could also explain this potential energy and gravitational potential energy...i mean whats the difference :?...and is there a different formula for potential energy?

ameen
10-23-2006, 11:50 AM
salam,

the " 0.5 x " part means: " half times.. " , or " 1/2 times.. ". I just wrote the half (1/2) as '0.5' because I thought it was convenient to do so.

I think 'Potential Energy' and 'Gravitational Potential Energy' (GPE) are both referring to the same thing at GCSE level (GPE is a type of Potential Energy), though there are apparently also other types of 'Potential Energy' (not relevant to GCSE).

Gravitational Potential Energy is the energy something gains / has stored in it, when it is 'lifted up' / due to its height above the earth's surface.

eg. if a goat of 80 kg is lifted by 5 metres above the ground by a crane, its gain in GPE would be:

80 x 9.81 (gravity) x 5 = 3924 Joules

wsalam

The Ruler
10-23-2006, 11:57 AM

thanks :D....and erm... if you could tell me what happens at that BMAT test...cause like i was thinking..that i will have to do it if i go into medicine (aiming for imperial college insha'allah :))..i know its a long way still..but then again 3 years isnt too long...so if you could jus t tell me what its about AFTER you've done the test, it'd be great :D

Sum-Muslim-Gal
10-23-2006, 09:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ameen
salam,

I have a test in a few days time, called the BMAT ( Biomedical Admissions Test - http://www.bmat.org.uk/index.html ).

As part of the test, I am required to know the Physics formulae at GCSE level - so I have listed all the formulae I could gather below.

Goodluck brother...inshaAllah you'll do well:D

afriend2
10-24-2006, 01:57 PM
Salaam All,

Well I'm doing work experience right this minute...(I'm in a computer company! Wohooo) So..I don't have my books with me, however I would like some help on french!

Does anyone know where Duhaa is? Duhaa!!!!!

Duhaa
10-24-2006, 03:20 PM
Right here.

LOL ;D

What exactly do you need help in?

I could start with tenses if you like because half the exams on getting the tenses right.
And not to forget the etre and avoir etc.

So whatever it is........I'm right here. :)

afriend2
10-24-2006, 03:28 PM
Salaam,

My Angel! :) Lol...

Well it's like everything!! I get so confused...

Like we have to do the present, perfect, near future and future tense! How does she expect me to cram that into my little head!!!

Is there an easy way to remember the rules? :cry:

Duhaa
10-24-2006, 03:50 PM
There is no real easy way to remeber I'm afraid BUT the way I learnt was to do a lot of practice sentences.

And don't do it all together. So first learn the present tense and then when you know that, then move onto the past tenses and so on.

If you try and cram it (I'm sure you've not got a little head ;)) then you'll get them mixed up.

I'll try and email you the notes that I used, but it'll have to be in a few days time. But I know it's hard unless you have a gift, I didnt so I had to work for the grade. :)

afriend2
10-24-2006, 03:54 PM
Salaam,

JazakAllah sis!

And yeah...I can't do it right now anyways...I'm supposed to be working! :p

Ameeratul Layl
10-24-2006, 05:01 PM

I read something about formulas and they were all Physics ones too.

Who needs help? I'm here :D

Okay...a teeeny weeny bit late..I'm sorry! :playing:

lovelymadinah
10-26-2006, 01:31 PM
salam sister,
jazakullah for you info
i am currentlt revising for my gcse mock exams that i will take in december
i don't know a proper way to revise
is it ok if anyone could tell me how i could revise which would be very useful for me

allah hafiz
:? :? :?

Ameeratul Layl
10-26-2006, 01:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by lovelymadinah
salam sister,
jazakullah for you info
is it ok if anyone could tell me how i could revise which would be very useful for me

allah hafiz
Well, firstly, make sure you are punctual in Salah and ask Allah Sincerely for help.
Then, cut down on the net (to about 30 mins-1 hr) and try to do more work.
I am in last year at college and my way of learning is to teach myself on the whiteboard I have. So....buy a whiteboard fro Staples/Currys. And choose a favourite topic to teach yourself...the go onto the harder stuff.

Make sure you eat properly! Don't skip meals and DONT each too much junk.

Sites with fun ways of learning...they worked for me. :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/

http://www.s-cool.co.uk/default.asp

And and before I forget...ALWAYS read over class work and Don't forget to complete your homework! :D

afriend2
10-26-2006, 04:52 PM
Salaam,

I won't be allowed on the net starting from November! :cry: Unless it's to bug (i mean ask) Duhaa for help! :D

Duhaa
10-26-2006, 09:17 PM
LOL naz ;D Can't wait......:D

format_quote Originally Posted by lovelymadinah
salam sister,
jazakullah for you info

allah hafiz
For my GCSE's I made a revision timetable.
When I say revision timetable I mean 12 weeks beforehand so 12 weeks of study.
The timetable took me ages but it was worth it.:rollseyes

Then in the timetable (this was like loads of A3 sheets) I wrote down exactly what I was gonna do, breaking up the subjects into small topic areas.

Be realistic, you can't do a whole subject in an hour for example.:rollseyes but you could perhaps do one topic. :happy:

I go for note taking but individuals have different techniques, whichever suits you best......:happy:

Btw sis Ameeratul Layl's given excellent advice on day to day habits. I think I'll use those for my exams. :)

united
10-26-2006, 09:22 PM
past papers are very useful aswell
and the best place to find them is http://thestudentroom.co.uk/

The Ruler
10-28-2006, 04:51 PM

i got my mocks in dec...and i'm worried...i mean i really dont know what to do...science worries me the most :-\....i want to get A* but miss has predicted an A...n she always takes surprise tests and thus am never prepared :-\...i get alright marks for modules but its the real exam i worry about...i just cant be bothered to put thoughts into word :-\ *sigh*

united
10-28-2006, 04:53 PM
she may have predicted an A to give you the incentive to work harder.

The Ruler
10-28-2006, 06:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by united
she may have predicted an A to give you the incentive to work harder.

but that just dont make any sense i mean why would she do that?...and also because the predicted grades dont only come from that only teacher...we have 2 teachers for science :-\

Sum-Muslim-Gal
10-28-2006, 06:33 PM

dont worry..u know ur potential..predicted grades are sometimes not accurate coz u either end up doing 10 times better or 10 time worse but am sure u wont do that bad:D

united
10-28-2006, 06:33 PM
some students become complacent if they are predicted A*

The Ruler
10-28-2006, 06:35 PM
some students become complacent if they are predicted A*
yes but teachers are supposed to be honest :rant: :offended:

Sum-Muslim-Gal
10-28-2006, 06:38 PM
^^not really sis.

with alevels they cannot predicted u E's ..OR LESS THAN THAT...well thats what teachers told me coz they not allowed to it puts students off..its better off being predicted less say A id u gona get an A*..coz then u always aim to do better right?

united
10-28-2006, 06:38 PM
some students are capable but the teacher may not be sure if the student will put in the extra effort

Sum-Muslim-Gal
10-28-2006, 06:39 PM
yup^^ true..:D

Arwa
10-28-2006, 06:42 PM
Also, if the teachers predict you less than what you expect and in the real thing you do much better, then that also looks good when you go to your colleges to enrol. :)

The Ruler
10-28-2006, 06:42 PM

can someone explain to me this sine, cosine graphs :uhwhat

Sum-Muslim-Gal
10-28-2006, 06:44 PM
SOHCAHTOA..:?..is that wat u after...them graphs..:?

united
10-28-2006, 06:45 PM
just think of them as mountain ranges.
for the sine: youre starting half way up.
cosine: starting at the top

The Ruler
10-28-2006, 06:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sum-Muslim-Gal
no...not really...i knew that...but the thing where this +/- sine or cosine at different sides of the graph that i dont understand :-\

united
10-28-2006, 06:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sum-Muslim-Gal

i prefer
Silly Old Harry
Carried A Hourse
Through Our Alley

Pk_#2
10-28-2006, 06:47 PM
^^ lol

gud'un

Sum-Muslim-Gal
10-28-2006, 06:49 PM
no...not really...i knew that...but the thing where this +/- sine or cosine at different sides of the graph that i dont understand :-\

i think i knw how 2 do erm..but its better someone cleverer than me to help out..lol..

incase i might be wrong...

its been long havnt done maths in time...so i may not be upto date..:)

Sum-Muslim-Gal
10-28-2006, 06:50 PM
i prefer
Silly Old Harry
Carried A Hourse
Through Our Alley
lol..cant remember how i remembered them..just sed SOHCAHTOA..LOL..:okay:

The Ruler
10-28-2006, 06:52 PM

oh right okay :-\

how about vectors :?...tell me about that :D

united
10-28-2006, 06:55 PM
take a point on a graph in the form (x,y)
turn it into
x
y
(dunno how to do the brackets)
and simplify it

The Ruler
10-28-2006, 07:03 PM

the examples in the books seem a lot harder and i dont understand them :-\

united
10-28-2006, 07:04 PM
giv me an example

The Ruler
10-28-2006, 07:10 PM
giv me an example
it includes diagrams and all that and i cant be bothered now but insha'allah tomorrow :)...thanks for the helps anyway :)

Al-Hanbali
12-13-2006, 09:45 PM

Anyone got any ideas on what I could do for Science Coursework? Im doing Edexcel Double Award. :)

Ameeratul Layl
12-14-2006, 04:14 PM
salam,

I take you are doing GCSEs.

How about...*puts on her thinking hijab*...how about the resistance of a vegetarian sasuage. You could use a ammmeter and a volt meter and WORK OUT the resistance.

so: V = IR

Therefore: R = V/I

A Physics marker for A levels did this experiement but not with a veggie sasauge. I bet they will like it!

Do something other than sasauage if you wish....

come on....challenge PHYSICS!!!!

*ahem* sorry..I get a bit carried away

wasalam

H4RUN
12-15-2006, 03:39 PM
SOH= sin=opp over hyp
CAH= cosin= angles over hyp
TOA=tan= opp over adj [:p]

ps..opp=opposite
hyp= hypotenuse
over = erm divide :p
All in all= SOH CAH TOA which = alot of equals:p
peace

12-15-2006, 03:46 PM
^ it's adjacent not angle :)

Ameeratul Layl
12-15-2006, 04:56 PM
salam,

I take you are doing GCSEs.

How about...*puts on her thinking hijab*...how about the resistance of a vegetarian sasuage. You could use a ammmeter and a volt meter and WORK OUT the resistance.

so: V = IR

Therefore: R = V/I

A Physics marker for A levels did this experiement but not with a veggie sasauge. I bet they will like it!

Do something other than sasauage if you wish....

come on....challenge PHYSICS!!!!

*ahem* sorry..I get a bit carried away

wasalam

so br Dhul Fiqhr...I've not heard from you. I hope your not backing out. :w:

Al-Hanbali
12-16-2006, 01:07 AM

No sis I havnt backed out, alhamdulillah :) Jazakallah for the suggestion, but could you kindly elaborate on what I can do. I get what you are saying but could you explain it a bit more sis :)

Ameeratul Layl
12-16-2006, 05:44 PM

No sis I havnt backed out, alhamdulillah :) Jazakallah for the suggestion, but could you kindly elaborate on what I can do. I get what you are saying but could you explain it a bit more sis :)

ahaaa, your back. *:Evil: muwahaha* let us begin:

*ahem*Bismillah.... :)

Right, well basically:

*clears throat*

Get some emmm..sasauge or ANYTHING you wish to experiment with. And, just attach it all to a circuit :D this circuit should have a ammeter and a voltmeter...so when you've got the reading for volts and amps. You can do some GENIUS calculations *I will help you.inshAllah*...and hey presto...you can work out resistance. :D

NOW....the Physics examiner who was bored one day decided to use sasauge but you can use whatever you wish.Check with your teacher first!!!!

Remember you have to be ACCURATE and FAIR in your experiment.So, you must think it through-thoroughly

You don't have to use food, you could use....various wires.

An experiment to find the resistance of various wires (i.s: copper,aluminium etc).

please please ask your teacher before DECIDING on what you wish to do for your experiment!!! <<<I cannot elaborate

afriend
12-16-2006, 06:00 PM

I'm having a problem in finding the nth term for this quadratic sequence:

Any ideas?

Al-Hanbali
12-17-2006, 02:53 PM

ahaaa, your back. *:Evil: muwahaha* let us begin:

*ahem*Bismillah.... :)

Right, well basically:

*clears throat*

Get some emmm..sasauge or ANYTHING you wish to experiment with. And, just attach it all to a circuit :D this circuit should have a ammeter and a voltmeter...so when you've got the reading for volts and amps. You can do some GENIUS calculations *I will help you.inshAllah*...and hey presto...you can work out resistance. :D

NOW....the Physics examiner who was bored one day decided to use sasauge but you can use whatever you wish.Check with your teacher first!!!!

Remember you have to be ACCURATE and FAIR in your experiment.So, you must think it through-thoroughly

You don't have to use food, you could use....various wires.

An experiment to find the resistance of various wires (i.s: copper,aluminium etc).

please please ask your teacher before DECIDING on what you wish to do for your experiment!!! <<<I cannot elaborate
Jazakallah sis, really appreciate it. I wasnt too sure about the sausage thing but the experiment to find resistance between different wire materials is a raelly good one.

united
12-17-2006, 09:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iqram

I'm having a problem in finding the nth term for this quadratic sequence:

Any ideas?
its add 0
add 1
add 2
add 3
add 4
etc

pascals triangle

Ameeratul Layl
07-18-2007, 12:53 PM
peace!

Just a reminder for all GCSE students-to-be, this thread is for you when you need it. There are people here to help, all you have to do is ask!

peace!

Far7an
07-20-2007, 05:11 PM
peace!

Just a reminder for all GCSE students-to-be, this thread is for you when you need it. There are people here to help, all you have to do is ask!

peace!
GCSEs for the past year 11s have finished in June, and for the coming year 11 will resume in Aug/Sep. :uhwhat

The Ruler
07-20-2007, 05:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Far7an
GCSEs for the past year 11s have finished in June, and for the coming year 11 will resume in Aug/Sep. :uhwhat
She did say GCSE "students-to-be".

Maidah
07-20-2007, 06:27 PM
[QUOTE=Amatul Malik;471716]salam sis...dis is a real gud thread n i fink all de GCSE student wil benefit frm it insha'allah....i relly need help in chemistry...its the equillibrium topic...whats de difference between dynamic equllibrium and jus equillibrium??

:w:[/QUO

i know most of your answers have been answered by another sis but i thought i'll just add a bit more. When we say that tehe position of equilibrium is moving we mean that, if you have a reaction which is in equilibrium, indicated by the reverse arrow, then adding any more substance to any the side of the equation will affecet the equlibrium ( its steady state). So by adding more of the substance to the reactant side or the product side, there wil be more of it and so according to La Chataliers principle, when a reaction is in equilibrium and there is a change made to the system then the position of equilibrium will try to counteract the change. So if tere is more of the reactant, the position of equilibrium will shift to the right hand side (to the product side) and produce more of the product. Changes in a reaction system can be temperature change or pressure change.

I hope i didn't make it any more confusing for you and the best option for you is to revise with hep of ppl that hae already been throgh this study. In this way they'll be able top guide you to pich the right and neccessary stuff to revise for. But other than that what i used o do is to look at any and every chemistry book and resources and pick out what i need, and then just put it all together and see whatever explanation helps best.

Ameeratul Layl
07-22-2007, 04:25 PM
Thanks sis Amatul malik for pointing that out, yes br far7an..I said students-to-be. :D

Good advise sis maidah :D I like the explanation too... :D

ahlam
07-23-2007, 11:14 AM

Holidays are coming to an end and we are all expected to work hard for the new academic year. Why not?
In which case, I thought it'd be a fantastic idea to approach all the to-be GCSE students and tell them...Don't worry, work hard and remember that all success is from Allah the All Mighty so if at any point you don't achieve the grade you have worked hard for, never give up...I didn't. Allah ALWAYS has something better instore for you.

Every year at school I failed until I sat my GCSEs and proved I COULD do it. And how did I do it? I remembered Allah and did all I could do, leaving all else in His Hands. I passed!

I am in college now, well, I will be A2 after the holidays. So, if anyone needs any advise or any help with their coursework mark schemes. i AM more than WILLING to help. Just PM me if you feel you want to keep it private.

Otherwise, keep your head up high, don't waste your time and work through those books like there is no tomorrow. I can assure you, learning can be so fun once you put your heart into it, because it is then...that you pass and feel you have achieved!

Enjoy the rest of your holidays and like I said, if you have any queries - feel free to ask!

hello ameera..
since you said: "feel free to ask", i will ask :)

My classmate and I were planning a trip to America. We asked the college for help, but they said they can't help with it because the college has no money..
5 months ago we were on a trip to the American embassy and the secretary there gave us his e-mail and told us to contact him for any help..
I would like you to write a formal letter asking if the embassy can help us? (with money I mean). or anything else

Ameeratul Layl
07-23-2007, 11:52 AM
what is the trip for? Educational purposes or to broaden your horizons?
Anyhow, when I said 'feel free to ask' it was not regarding such issues ONLY...GCSE revision and guidance.
Furthermore,if you were given the e-mail address of the secretary and YOU wish to make this trip to America...then it is up to your friend and yourself to write an e-mail to the secretary. Not moi or anyone else in that matter.

ahlam
07-24-2007, 11:11 AM
اميرة شكرا على كل حال

Ameeratul Layl
07-28-2007, 04:36 PM
^^ no problem.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.