/* */

PDA

View Full Version : this morning ...

glo
08-31-2006, 04:37 PM
This morning, biking into work, I found £10 lying by the side of the road. There was nobody else around.

What should I do with it?
Any suggestions?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Kittygyal
08-31-2006, 04:39 PM
salam.
give it to charity or give it to church there are charity boxes there or go to a mosque if you can && give it.
w.salam

The Ruler
08-31-2006, 04:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
This morning, biking into work, I found £10 lying by the side of the road. There was nobody else around.

Any suggestions?
giv it in to charity i guess....unless u wanna find out de owner :D

lol

:w:

MinAhlilHadeeth
08-31-2006, 04:41 PM
Hi

Try to find out who it belongs to (which is pretty hard I guess). If you can't, give it to a charity.

-Peace

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
glo
08-31-2006, 04:48 PM
Given where I found it, I am working on the assumption that it is virtually impossible to find the rightful owner of the money.

Sunflower
08-31-2006, 04:51 PM
id give it to charity then if it is virtually impossible to find out who it belongs to

Kittygyal
08-31-2006, 04:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
Give it to me. :D

salam.
Ya Allah!! you greedy boy! :hiding:
w.salam

IceQueen~
08-31-2006, 04:57 PM
yep either give it charity cos its not urs so you can't keep it, and otherwise people like alphi will get their hands on it...;D

Kidman
08-31-2006, 05:32 PM
You should leave it there, don't make it your problem, once you pick it up it is up to you to try to find the owner. I don't konw how you would do that in your situation, unless you post signs on the side of the road or something, but ya, after a while if nobody claims it, you should give it to charity but you are allowed to take a portion if you "need" it.

Kidman

Kittygyal
08-31-2006, 05:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kidman
You should leave it there, don't make it your problem, once you pick it up it is up to you to try to find the owner. I don't konw how you would do that in your situation, unless you post signs on the side of the road or something, but ya, after a while if nobody claims it, you should give it to charity but you are allowed to take a portion if you "need" it.

Kidman
salam.
never heard that before "take a portion of it if you need it" everyone needs money no one is going to say NO but come on it's somebodys we don't know so just give it to charity.
w.salam

strider
08-31-2006, 05:39 PM
Give it to a righteous cause. It is refreshing and reassuring to know we still have honest people in the world.

smile
08-31-2006, 06:02 PM
charity

I mean you can't just leave it in the street for some1 else to spend it

glo
08-31-2006, 06:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
Give it to me. :D
LOL
That's what my son said. He seems to think he is a charitable cause! ;D

glo
08-31-2006, 06:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by smile
charity

I mean you can't just leave it in the street for some1 else to spend it
Hi smile

This is off topic, but I am curious. :rollseyes
What does your sig mean?

thanks.

Snowflake
08-31-2006, 06:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~pInK cHiCk~
FINDERZ KEEPERZZZZZZZZZ!!!

Nah lol Id be too scared 2keep it Id probs jus leave it there then go bak l8a if its still there THEN Id take it and buy sum new boots wid it innnnniiiiiittttttttttt! ;) lol

LOL I'm with ya on that one sis. Every time I've found money I thought it was Allah helping me out so I spent it happily lol :giggling:

(That is unless, I can find the owner mind you)

Glo maybe it was meant for you to find :?

snakelegs
08-31-2006, 08:43 PM
i would spend it happily and without guilt.
dunno how much 10lb. is but i'd buy myself a CD if it was enough.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-31-2006, 10:10 PM
You could give to charity, but ur still takin somethin thats not urs. If you take it ur jus mad greedy cuz u value money too much and thats not good. What if the person retraces his step and starts looking for it. Well i wouldnt pick it up. If i did id try to find the owner.

syilla
09-01-2006, 01:27 AM
:sl:

i thought you have to ask around first or advertise it...(but don't tell them how much you found...then you'll know is he is the right owner).

Only after that you can give too charity. If muslim we usually give to masjid.

Because who knows...if the owner is poor.

glo
09-01-2006, 06:09 PM
So it's a large majority vote for charity ...

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-01-2006, 06:11 PM
Guess so...lol

Sahabiyaat
09-01-2006, 06:19 PM

i went to a religious educational institution ( too complicated :) )

and well we were always taught that if we ever found anything we were not to touch it and so if everyone were to follow this rule the rightful owner would always find his lost belongings

SubhanAllah!

in the time of the holy prophet (saw) ppl would leave their gold and silver on display and go to pray without the least fear of theft, but alas!

off topic!

yes i think you should give it to charity now that its in your possession.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-01-2006, 06:26 PM
I still wouldnt touch it....not mine to touch.

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
09-01-2006, 06:43 PM
Give some to charity, give some to your son, spend some yourself and put some money back where you orginally found the money. Yeah and dont spend it all at once.

Dahir
09-01-2006, 06:46 PM
...OHHH! This is a moral and mathematical head-trip! :nervous:

I'll guess that "E 10" is like $20, so I'll say donate it to charity. Its not a sin, and you've properly disposed of the morality-twisting ground-money!

My 2 Cents.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-01-2006, 06:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by DaNgErOuS MiNdS
Give some to charity, give some to your son, spend some yourself and put some money back where you orginally found the money. Yeah and dont spend it all at once.
why spend whats not urs...id rather give it to charity then if i had to choose.

Dahir
09-01-2006, 07:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by DaNgErOuS MiNdS
$20 (E 10) is not what it used to be. :rollseyes

:D

BeeBee
09-01-2006, 07:10 PM
Bismilah
Asalamalaikum ever1

I think you should return it where it was if its not an extremely windy day.
I have lost money somewhere 2 weeks ago and it was still there.

glo
09-01-2006, 08:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sahabiyaat

and well we were always taught that if we ever found anything we were not to touch it and so if everyone were to follow this rule the rightful owner would always find his lost belongings
Interesting point! :)

Far7an
09-02-2006, 10:02 PM
Does donating to LI, count as charity? :)

I'm sure you'll donate the money towards a worthy cause. Many of us would probably have spent it by now!

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-02-2006, 10:03 PM
lol nice try...:D

syilla
09-03-2006, 05:15 AM
lol...yup it is for a good cause... ;D

glo
09-03-2006, 08:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Far7an
Does donating to LI, count as charity? :)
Hhmmm ... now let me think ... :rollseyes :? :rollseyes :? :rollseyes :? :okay:

Al-Zaara
09-03-2006, 08:23 AM
Hhmmm ... now let me think ... :rollseyes :? :rollseyes :? :rollseyes :? :okay:
Does that mean a yes or no?
(Brother Far7an is still being hopeful ;D )

May I ask, what you did with the money? Or are you still confused what to do? :giggling: I myself would give it to charity. Everybody needs good karma. ;D ("what you give out is what you receive")

glo
09-03-2006, 08:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Zaara
Does that mean a yes or no?
(Brother Far7an is still being hopeful ;D )

May I ask, what you did with the money? Or are still confused what to do? :giggling: I myself would give it to charity. Everybody needs good karma. ;D

Well, as I said I picked up the money, because I didn't think there was any way to ever find it's rightful owner.

As soon as I picked it up, and long before I posted this poll, I had decided that it was not my money, and therefore not mine to keep.
I zipped I into the side pocket of my work bag, and it is still there.
I will give it to somebody, somewhere, sometime ... but I am still waiting for divine inspiration! :)

Sahabiyaat
09-05-2006, 10:02 AM
bingo!

that is actually a really clever idea

think about the number of people who use this site and who gain so much knowledge
everytime they log on you will be rewarded (InshaAllah)

i strongly recommend that you donate it to this site, but the descision rests with you :)

Woodrow
09-05-2006, 10:21 AM
I picked other. I would first make a sincere effort to find the right full owner. If I can not than I would donate it to charity.

smile
09-05-2006, 05:45 PM
Hi smile

This is off topic, but I am curious. :rollseyes
What does your sig mean?

thanks.

You strike a woman
you strike a rock

glo
09-05-2006, 05:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sahabiyaat
everytime they log on you will be rewarded (InshaAllah)
I will???
How come? :?

peace

glo
09-05-2006, 05:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by smile
You strike a woman
you strike a rock
What is that statement is trying to say ... ? It sounds kind of feminist :?

Sahabiyaat
09-08-2006, 11:25 AM
beacuse you are contributing to keeping this site going :)

Sahabiyaat
09-08-2006, 11:27 AM
What is that statement is trying to say ... ? It sounds kind of feminist :?

i think it means...if yer mess wiv me i'll do yer! :D (in the most chavy accent)

cihad
09-09-2006, 11:41 AM
You strike a woman
you strike a rock

its Xhosa
it means that women are strong

they used to say this kinda thing during apartheid -i think
something like that

Fishman
09-09-2006, 11:49 AM
You should eat it. Old money usually tastes like apple pie.

glo
09-09-2006, 11:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
You should eat it. Old money usually tastes like apple pie.
LOL
So you voted 'other', Fishman??
Apple pie ... really??!! :giggling:

glo
09-09-2006, 11:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by cihad
You strike a woman
you strike a rock

its Xhosa
it means that women are strong

they used to say this kinda thing during apartheid -i think
something like that
Thanks. I looked it up ... you are right, it refers to the struggle of black women in Africa.

You know, women on the whole are stong. To describe them as the weaker sex is rather misleading! It may be the case relating to physical strength, but not in the spiritual, emotional and intellectual sense!! :)

*KB*
09-09-2006, 12:00 PM
salam
give in to police
wasalam
P.s with details

Qurratul Ayn
09-09-2006, 12:06 PM
Hello!

Friend glo, from the advice you are getting about 90% or so say give it to charity and I agree with that as you don't know the owner so the best thing is charity and don't listen to Brother Alpha Dude or Brother Fishman as they have very strange ideas on what to do with it.

Peace to you all.
Qurratul Ayn

Fishman
09-09-2006, 12:07 PM
don't listen to Brother Alpha Dude or Brother Fishman as they have very strange ideas on what to do with it.
Strange but true...

glo
09-09-2006, 12:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Qurratul Ayn
Hello!

Friend glo, from the advice you are getting about 90% or so say give it to charity and I agree with that as you don't know the owner so the best thing is charity and don't listen to Brother Alpha Dude or Brother Fishman as they have very strange ideas on what to do with it.

Peace to you all.
Qurratul Ayn
LOL
Yes, I am certainly weighing up the comments very carefully ... especially those from Alpha Dude and Fishman! ;D

Qurratul Ayn
09-09-2006, 12:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman

Strange but true...
:salamext:

So Brother Fishman. old money tastes usually like apple pie. Is that true?

Qurratul Ayn

Qurratul Ayn
09-09-2006, 12:11 PM
LOL
Yes, I am certainly weighing up the comments very carefully ... especially those from Alpha Dude and Fishman! ;D
Hello!

That is good then:happy:

Peace to you all.
Qurratul Ayn

Kittygyal
09-09-2006, 12:13 PM
salam.
this thread is still alive i mean Sis Glo just give it to church in the cahrity boxes.
w.salam

Fishman
09-09-2006, 12:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Qurratul Ayn

So Brother Fishman. old money tastes usually like apple pie. Is that true?

Qurratul Ayn
Probably not, no. :playing: It probably makes you sick. I suggest that Glo give it to charity *cough*Alpha Dude*cough*.

glo
09-09-2006, 12:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
salam.
this thread is still alive i mean Sis Glo just give it to church in the cahrity boxes.
w.salam
Actually, I just nibbled a corner off it ... didn't taste anything like apple pie though! Do you think Fishman was only joking ... :? :uuh: :coolalien

Kittygyal
09-09-2006, 12:17 PM
Actually, I just nibbled a corner off it ... didn't taste anything like apple pie though! Do you think Fishman was only joking ... :? :uuh: :coolalien
salam.
i don't get what you mean:uhwhat
w.salam

glo
09-09-2006, 12:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
salam.
i don't get what you mean:uhwhat
w.salam
Sorry, Kitty, I was only being silly!
Fishman had suggested that I should eat the money because it tasted like apple pie ... and I was pretending that I had tried to eat it!

Like I said before, I will give it to a charitable cause ... just waiting for the right one to come along! :)

Peace, sister. Are you okay? :)

Kittygyal
09-09-2006, 12:23 PM
Sorry, Kitty, I was only being silly!
Fishman had suggested that I should eat the money because it tasted like apple pie ... and I was pretending that I had tried to eat it!

Like I said before, I will give it to a charitable cause ... just waiting for the right one to come along! :)

Peace, sister. Are you okay? :)

salam.
okay, inshallah you MUST go && give it now before it's too late i guess, anywho sis me don't wana get off-topic inshallah.
w.salam

Salmaan
09-09-2006, 05:22 PM

Any suggestions?
First check that if the note is real or fake. :giggling:

akulion
09-09-2006, 05:22 PM
chances are no ones gona come around lookin for a 10 pounds
cos they probably dont have a clue where they dropped it

so buy urself a nice new ferrari and play with it on ur track set

[matchbox ferrari]

Woodrow
09-10-2006, 02:47 AM
Here in the USA it is required that a large amount of money if found has to be turned into the police other wise it can be considered theft. Actually the law only requires that a bona-fide attempt be made to find the right full owned. Like I said that is only for large amounts if I am not mistaken that is anything over 1000 dollars or roughly 500 GBP

Abdulwaheed
09-10-2006, 02:59 AM
I remember wen i was little back in nigeria. My teacher was walking to our house for our quranic lessons and he found some money on the road. He bought us sum snacks from a shop nearby and gave ther rest to a beggar.

I thought that was something very admirable :)

"..MariAm.."
09-10-2006, 03:58 PM
salamz.....
that was not something admirable ...itz someone else's money ... u don't have the right to spent it. ...
well i betta leave that money where i found it before ... because it have a simle reason who ever dropped it may return to that place searching for it ....because itz a big responsibility possessing something which is not even urz ...

"..MariAm.."
09-10-2006, 04:11 PM
salam
i just read a hadith of bukhari
once Rasulullah (saw) spent a sleepless night. He would turn from side to side and could not sleep. His wife asked him :
"O, Prophet of Allah! why can u not sleep? "
he resonded,
"A date was lying about. I took it up and ate it, lest it should be wasted. Now i am troubled lest it might be from sadaqah."

Muezzin
09-10-2006, 09:44 PM
Given where I found it, I am working on the assumption that it is virtually impossible to find the rightful owner of the money.
Since the owner cannot reasonably be found, it's legally yours to do with as you wish. Woohoo, I actually learned something from all those Criminal Law lectures. :p

Abdulwaheed
09-11-2006, 11:23 AM
it was a small sum of money. The reason i found it admirable was that he didnt spend even a tiny bit of the money on himself. he made a few kids happy and he gave money to the poor.. I still think thats admirable

If i found money today, i would give it to charity

Salah ad-din
10-04-2006, 08:12 AM
No matter what you choose to do with it, make sure that it is something good. If you spend it, spend it on something good. If you give it to charity, make sure it's good charity and not some church or any other organization that is going to eat up the money. Saving it is a good idea. Don't put it back, finders keepers. You can't find it's owner so do the next best thing according to what you think the next best thing is, and alsways remember that the angels are watching you.

Re.TiReD
10-04-2006, 01:11 PM
:sl: give it to charity is what i say...you dont know what the person who it belonged to wud have done with it but if you give it to charity at least its something beneficial :D :w:

DigitalStorm82
10-04-2006, 01:14 PM
Wow, Im really late on this thread huh.. I hope glo hasn't spent the money yet lol

I just wanted to give my input... According to Islam, if you see something you shouldn't pick it up... and if you do pick it up... you cannot make public announcement.. "I FOUND A ROLEX, are any of you owners of this watch"? lol what do you think is gonna happen? People gonna say YES!! lol Im the owner.... So basically, you don't pick it up... owner will eventually find it... if you do pick it up... you hold it for a year if no one comes forward.. its yours.

Now in the case of money... its impossible to find the owner of the bill... So, the best thing to do is not to pick it up... and if you have picked it up.. you should give it to charity.

Because it's not your money, and if you give it to charity... you've just helped feed 10 children in Africa :) (maybe more) So both, you and the person should get the reward!

ok, peace!

glo
10-04-2006, 01:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by DigitalStorm82
Wow, Im really late on this thread huh.. I hope glo hasn't spent the money yet lol

I just wanted to give my input... According to Islam, if you see something you shouldn't pick it up... and if you do pick it up... you cannot make public announcement.. "I FOUND A ROLEX, are any of you owners of this watch"? lol what do you think is gonna happen? People gonna say YES!! lol Im the owner.... So basically, you don't pick it up... owner will eventually find it... if you do pick it up... you hold it for a year if no one comes forward.. its yours.

Now in the case of money... its impossible to find the owner of the bill... So, the best thing to do is not to pick it up... and if you have picked it up.. you should give it to charity.

Because it's not your money, and if you give it to charity... you've just helped feed 10 children in Africa :) (maybe more) So both, you and the person should get the reward!

ok, peace!
Just for clarification, according to Islam, if I give somebody else's money to charity, who receives Allah's reward? Me, the other person, or both of us?

When I give to charity I tend to do so because I want to help people in need - rather than because I want to receive God's reward for it.

Peace

Azhar786
10-04-2006, 02:01 PM
salaam
glo i agree with u there!

Pk_#2
10-04-2006, 02:04 PM
AsalamuAlaykum,

Don't even smell the thing, runaway the opposite direction!! lmao

You dunno how long it's been there! haha

tc

DigitalStorm82
10-04-2006, 02:12 PM
Well, you can't return it.. so the person who lost the money should recieve the reward because its his/her money... and you should recieve the reward for making it happen (by donating).

I agree with on part where you give charity to help people in need... but I do it for both... because I want to make their life better genuinely from the heart... and to please my creator at the same time. Because He has made charity obligatory on us. (Zakah) Additional charity is up to the individual...

So even if you strictly do it to make the lives of needy people better... you still get reward for it.. whether you want it or not :)

Abdulwaheed
10-04-2006, 03:18 PM
So you get the best of both worlds. You get the good feeling of helping someone in need. And the good feeling you get when you know feel Allah swt is pleased with you :)

glo
10-04-2006, 03:41 PM
Well, you can't return it.. so the person who lost the money should recieve the reward because its his/her money... and you should recieve the reward for making it happen (by donating).
What if I stole somebody else's money and then gave it to the poor? (Robin-Hood-style?)

Do I still get rewarded, given that I committed a sin to get the money in the first place?
Presumably the person I stole from does get rewarded, since it was their money?

(I am only pondering, of course. Not that you think I am planning a bank robbery! :giggling: )

DigitalStorm82
10-04-2006, 05:46 PM
lol Actually... thats double the sin... if not more. lol

1. You steal.
2. You know who you stole from... you didn't return.
3. You gave it to charity.. fed the poor...with haraam money...

Robin Hood is a theif... he has no right over the money, thus he cannot give something he doesn't own. If the 3rd person gets money from Robin Hood... its still stolen property.

Actually Islamically, in most muslim countries even the beggers refuse money from people if they know that this particular person gets his money by haraam means.

Imagine that! Beggers refusing money because its not his to give or it is earned by haraam ways...

For example, if a begger in a muslim country saw you selling alcohol, he will not take charity from you... not even if it was zakah because it is haraam money and they dont want to buy food with haraam money. Something to ponder! ;)

glo
10-04-2006, 08:35 PM
lol Actually... thats double the sin... if not more. lol

1. You steal.
2. You know who you stole from... you didn't return.
3. You gave it to charity.. fed the poor...with haraam money...

Robin Hood is a theif... he has no right over the money, thus he cannot give something he doesn't own. If the 3rd person gets money from Robin Hood... its still stolen property.
But it occurs to me that Robin Hood by his very action, despite being a beggar and thief, was a blessing to others:
He blessed the poor by giving them money.
He blessed the rich by using their money (if against their wishes) for charitable purposes ...
:?

Peace :)

DigitalStorm82
10-07-2006, 01:13 PM
It's like this...

If I go rob a bank and give to the poor... will I be a good man? will I be a criminal and get arrested or will I become a hero?

If you still think Robin Hood is a hero... then we have diff opinions.

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
10-07-2006, 01:15 PM
LOL is this thread still going...what happened then?

glo
10-07-2006, 09:16 PM
It's like this...

If I go rob a bank and give to the poor... will I be a good man? will I be a criminal and get arrested or will I become a hero?

If you still think Robin Hood is a hero... then we have diff opinions.
Are you talking to me?
Did I say Robin Hood was a hero???
I don't think I did.

You said that by me giving the found money to charity, the person who had lost the money would be rewarded.
I was just spinning that thought a little further ... and being a little tongue-in-cheek at the same time.

Sorry, if I offended you. I was not advocating criminal activity of any kind! :giggling:

Peace

DigitalStorm82
10-08-2006, 07:58 AM
:)

In muslim countries... If the beggers know you got your money through haram way...(stolen) they refuse to take charity from you.

Pk_#2
10-08-2006, 10:18 AM
AsalamuAlaykum,

cool that's well good i dint know that,

strange!, buh they poor though?

DigitalStorm82
10-08-2006, 11:51 AM
yeah, they are beggers. But they rather not by food with haraam money.

InToTheRain
10-10-2006, 01:38 AM
Peace Glo,

So I am guessing you still have the money :ooh: I suggest you donate it too charity, you can give it to LI for all the nice suggestions maybe :ooh:

OR

You can put it back were you found it, although people will give you odd looks and be on the look out for the candid camera.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.