/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Combining the fast of Dawood and fasting on Mondays and Thursdays

MinAhlilHadeeth
08-31-2006, 06:03 PM
Combining the fast of Dawood and fasting on Mondays and Thursdays

Question:
I know that fasting every other day is the best way of fasting as in the hadith that this is the fasting of Prophet Dawood, alyhi assalam..
but, how can i fast Mondays and Thursdays, and also fast every other day like the Sunnah..? because sometimes Monday or Thursday doesn't fall in the order..like if i fast like the way Prophet Dawood did, i would fast for example: Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday..etc. so sometimes Thursday doesn't fall in the order, or Monday..
I hope my question is clear..

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Islam has brought different kinds of acts of worship, and this is part of the perfection of this religion. There are acts of worship which can be combined with others and other acts of worship which cannot be combined. Fasting on alternate days is one independent type of worship; it is a kind of voluntary fast, and it is the best kind.

Fasting on Mondays and Thursdays is another independent type of worship. It cannot be imagined that it is possible to combine the two on an ongoing basis. The better kind should be given preference, but a person should take his own situation and strength into account, so he should not start something that he will not be able to continue – in the case of naafil deeds – because the most beloved of deeds to Allaah is that which is continuous, even if it is little. And Allaah is the source of strength.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.