/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Car Bombs in Baghdad kill 47

lavikor201
08-31-2006, 10:14 PM
BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Mortar attacks and bombings killed at least 46 people and wounded 255 others Thursday across the Iraqi capital in the latest wave of apparent sectarian violence, police officials said.
In Shiite neighborhoods of southeastern Baghdad, 44 people died and at least 160 were injured Thursday in five attacks using mortar rounds and explosions.
Also in the southeastern neighborhood of Mashtal, a car bomb killed two people and wounded 13 others near a gas station, police said.

In other blasts Thursday, three people were wounded when a bomb exploded near a restaurant on eastern Baghdad's Palestine Street, police said.
Another car bomb exploded near a police patrol in the central Baghdad neighborhood of Harthiya, wounding at least four people, including two police officers.

Thursday's violence came after insurgents launched a string of bombings Wednesday in Baghdad and the nearby provinces of Diyala and Babil, killing at least 47 people and wounding more than 100 others, emergency officials said.
Iraqi and U.S. security forces are pressing ahead with an extensive security crackdown in the capital called Operation Together Forward.
More than 250 Iraqis and 15 U.S. soldiers have been killed since Sunday. Sixty-one American soldiers have died in August.
Since the start of the Iraq war in 2003, there have been 2,631 U.S. military fatalities. Seven American civilian contractors of the military also have died in the conflict.

President Bush on Thursday again asserted the battle for Iraq is the "central front in our fight against terrorism."
In a speech before the American Legion convention in Salt Lake City, Utah, Bush likened the effort to World War II and the Cold War and warned that failure to persevere will lead terrorists to take their battle to U.S. shores. (Full story)

"As veterans, you have seen this kind of enemy before. They are successors to fascists, to Nazis, to communists and other totalitarians of the 20th century," he said in the first of a series of new speeches on the fight against terrorism.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/...ain/index.html

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Trumble
09-01-2006, 07:26 AM
What gets me is that Bush and Blair still keep repeating in parrot-like fashion that things in Iraq are getting better. Talk about insulting people's intelligence!

Ninth_Scribe
09-01-2006, 04:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
What gets me is that Bush and Blair still keep repeating in parrot-like fashion that things in Iraq are getting better. Talk about insulting people's intelligence!
I like that line ("parrot-like fashion"). Agreed. It's a childish mentality, but I believe these attacks are intended to reprimand Bush for saying things are just fine. Translated, the message of the attacks read: Oh yeah!? Well, up yours!!!

Action - Reaction, Action - Reaction, Action - Reaction.... or

Head On: Applied Directly to the Forehead.

Ninth Scribe

Keltoi
09-03-2006, 06:00 PM
This isn't about the Americans anymore. The violence seems to be intended as the trigger for a civil war. Personally, I think the U.S. should leave and let them fight it out for control. However, I understand why many are loathe to consider such an option.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
QuranStudy
09-03-2006, 06:24 PM
I think the U.S. should leave and let them fight it out for control. However, I understand why many are loathe to consider such an option.
Typical American mentality. Americans screw up, now they will leave this mess and give up responsibility. I'm not surprised at all.

Curious girl2
09-03-2006, 10:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by QuranStudy
Typical American mentality. Americans screw up, now they will leave this mess and give up responsibility. I'm not surprised at all.

So what do you suggest? Really I am interested, because Iraq sadly is in civil war and I really dont think anything is going to change that anytime soon whether or not the US army stay or go.

Peace
CG

Ninth_Scribe
09-03-2006, 10:38 PM
Let's not get too over-confident here. America should never have butted its nose into Middle Eastern affairs to begin with. It's a whole different ball-game!

And while I certainly won't defend and a--hole like Bush, he wasn't the one who helped to create Israel, which is what started all this happy-joy we see today. That's what split the Shia and Sunnis. Of course, they have a million other issues to contend with before they'll stop accusing the other of not being a true Muslim, but whatever. It is their deal and they're the only ones who can solve it. Sending in foreigners from other countries to deal with these very intimate family matters - well, it just adds insult to injury. America should pay restitution for damages, but Muslims should decide on Muslim affairs. If that means they have to duke it out between them... so be it.

Ninth Scribe

ManchesterFolk
09-03-2006, 11:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
This isn't about the Americans anymore. The violence seems to be intended as the trigger for a civil war. Personally, I think the U.S. should leave and let them fight it out for control. However, I understand why many are loathe to consider such an option.
I think the Kurds deserve there own land.

QuranStudy
09-04-2006, 12:48 AM
So what do you suggest? Really I am interested, because Iraq sadly is in civil war and I really dont think anything is going to change that anytime soon whether or not the US army stay or go.
I suggest that America fix this mess they've unjustly created.

Then can move to Israel. No need for them there.

ManchesterFolk
09-04-2006, 03:37 AM
The Kurds make up 20% of Iraqs population. They get beaten up and massacred in basicaly every country they are in... yet they get no sympathy from you... why is that? Are they not Muslim enough for you?

north_malaysian
09-04-2006, 04:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ManchesterFolk

Which consists parts of Iran, Iraq, Syria and Turkey? It's hard.... but I think they deserve an autonomous power.

north_malaysian
09-04-2006, 04:31 AM

Israel is not their homeland... it's like asking the kashmiris to move to Russia. For your information 40% of Iraqi Muslims are sunnis and half of them Kurds.
Plus Saladin (Salahuddin al Ayubi) is a Kurd!!!

north_malaysian
09-04-2006, 04:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ManchesterFolk
why is that? Are they not Muslim enough for you?
Agree with this question. QuranStudy should answer.

Curious girl2
09-04-2006, 10:17 PM
I suggest that America fix this mess they've unjustly created.

How would they do that? I wish I had the answer, I do think that the US (and the UK for that matter) really shouldn't be in Iraq. But really, how do you see the US (or anyone else for that matter) *fixing* the mess that is Iraq?

Peace
CG

Keltoi
09-04-2006, 11:49 PM
There is only one group that can "fix" the problems in Iraq, and that is the Iraqis themselves. American and British troops can play cop in the streets and train Iraqis to police themselves, but they cannot fix the problem itself. Either this new Iraqi government can pull its people together and prevent a civil conflict, or they cannot.

QuranStudy
09-05-2006, 12:07 AM
The Kurds make up 20% of Iraqs population. They get beaten up and massacred in basicaly every country they are in... yet they get no sympathy from you... why is that? Are they not Muslim enough for you?
It's the same old bloody "divide and conquer" strategy by the West. I sympathize for the Kurds, but they are being used as proxies by the United States.

QuranStudy
09-05-2006, 12:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Curious girl2
How would they do that? I wish I had the answer, I do think that the US (and the UK for that matter) really shouldn't be in Iraq. But really, how do you see the US (or anyone else for that matter) *fixing* the mess that is Iraq?

Peace
CG

How am I supposed to know?? As far as I remember, there was no civil war before this Iraq war. The majority of the Iraqis hate American with a passion. I blame the Americans for starting this war on a lie and creating a failed democracy in Iraq.

lavikor201
09-05-2006, 07:54 PM
It's the same old bloody "divide and conquer" strategy by the West. I sympathize for the Kurds, but they are being used as proxies by the United States.
How are they being used as proxies? Please elaborate further.

Curious girl2
09-05-2006, 08:44 PM
How am I supposed to know?? As far as I remember, there was no civil war before this Iraq war. The majority of the Iraqis hate American with a passion. I blame the Americans for starting this war on a lie and creating a failed democracy in Iraq.

I actually agree with you on this, the US did start the war on a lie, or at the very least, bad intelligence, there where never any WMD in Iraq. However, like it or not they are there and the mess needs to be sorted out. I dont see an answer to this. A very sad situation.

Peace
CG

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.