/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How do different religions pray?

Vishnu
09-01-2006, 01:11 AM
Does anyone have videos of the different religions praying? I'm interested to see how you all pray. :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
lavikor201
09-01-2006, 01:12 AM
Its pretty easy to go youtube or another video site to find out foryourself dude... come one...

Edit: here you go.

Jews Praying:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...56903324717547

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...65480821536944

Muslims Praying

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...05923171001261

Christians Praying

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...40342267556075

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-01-2006, 01:18 AM
Interesting, ive always wondered how Jews pray lol.

lavikor201
09-01-2006, 01:24 AM
lol, which video did you find more suprising? Morning prayers with Tallit (Prayer Shawls) over our heads, or night prayers in black hats on (only chassidic wear the big hats) :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
north_malaysian
09-01-2006, 01:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by lavikor201
Morning prayers with Tallit (Prayer Shawls) over our heads, or night prayers in black hats on (only chassidic wear the big hats) :)
why? Is it a requirement to pray with tallit in the morning pryaer and not in night prayer?

Jayda
09-01-2006, 01:37 AM
i pray before i go to bed at night...

lavikor201
09-01-2006, 01:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
why? Is it a requirement to pray with tallit in the morning pryaer and not in night prayer?
Yes. Only in the mornings are Tallit put on.

Tallit on a Jew while praying

north_malaysian
09-01-2006, 01:43 AM
Do Jews prostrate (or 'sujd') like Muslim in prayers? I've seen an Israeli movie called 'Neshiim', and when the husband want to repent for being unjust to his first wife, he did prostrate like Muslims do.

Woodrow
09-01-2006, 01:46 AM
I've attended seder several times at Jewish friends homes. Isn't that a Tallit The female head of house wears then?

lavikor201
09-01-2006, 01:48 AM
Do Jews prostrate (or 'sujd') like Muslim in prayers? I've seen an Israeli movie called 'Neshiim', and when the husband want to repent for being unjust to his first wife, he did prostrate like Muslims do.
I do not believe Jews do that.

I've attended seder several times at Jewish friends homes. Isn't that a Tallit The female head of house wears then?
No. Women generally do not put on Tallit. They will cover there hair though and sometimes where something similar, but its to stay modest and cover hair in front of guests instead of wearing the shawl for prayer.

north_malaysian
09-01-2006, 01:52 AM
Is it....?:rollseyes Do you mean that Jews dont touch their forehead on the ground in prayers? So...if a Jew did that (like the movie "Neshiim") does he belong to a sect or something? I think the movie is about Jerusalem Jews in Ottoman period...

lavikor201
09-01-2006, 01:53 AM
Is it....?:rollseyes Do you mean that Jews dont touch their forehead on the ground in prayers? So...if a Jew did that (like the movie "Neshiim") does he belong to a sect or something? I think the movie is about Jerusalem Jews in Ottoman period...
jews do not touch there forehead on the ground in prayers. might have been a movie made by a non-jew lol. :D

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-01-2006, 02:11 AM
Thats odd, i dunno but ive read somewhere jews pray similar to the Muslims..or at least they used too. It wasnt even an Islamic website...hmm

lavikor201
09-01-2006, 02:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tayyaba
Thats odd, i dunno but ive read somewhere jews pray similar to the Muslims..or at least they used too. It wasnt even an Islamic website...hmm
Nope. We will bow our heads and at one prayer get on our knees, but never touch forhead to floor, and it is very rar jews do this.

what we do is bow during the prayer continuesly.

the only people who may pray like u all are "Messianci Jews" who are Not JEWS at all, but are Christians who try to convert Jews by saying 'you can be jewish and accept jesus" when that is like saying in your terms "you can be muslim and accept pagan gods."

Woodrow
09-01-2006, 02:15 AM

No. Women generally do not put on Tallit. They will cover there hair though and sometimes where something similar, but its to stay modest and cover hair in front of guests instead of wearing the shawl for prayer.
Thank you for your answer. Now that you mention it I recall that every time I visited my friend that is what his wife put on, not just for seder

lavikor201
09-01-2006, 02:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Thank you for your answer. Now that you mention it I recall that every time I visited my friend that is what his wife put on, not just for seder
Yeah, Jewish women can only show there hair to there husbands so if she follows all the rules she will always have a wig or scarve (hijab like) thing on when your over... :D sorry woodrow. its not you. my wife does the same.:D

QuranStudy
09-01-2006, 04:24 AM
Yeah, Jewish women can only show there hair to there husbands so if she follows all the rules she will always have a wig or scarve (hijab like) thing on when your over... sorry woodrow. its not you. my wife does the same.
What is the punishment for a married woman committing adultery under Jewish law?

Mohsin
09-01-2006, 05:54 AM
Yeah, Jewish women can only show there hair to there husbands so if she follows all the rules she will always have a wig or scarve (hijab like) thing on when your over... :D sorry woodrow. its not you. my wife does the same.:D

Really?? Wow i didn't know that, so in Judaism too women are meant to be covered so to say as in islam?

Ansar Al-'Adl
09-01-2006, 06:04 AM
jews do not touch there forehead on the ground in prayers. might have been a movie made by a non-jew lol. :D
There seem to be some references in the Tanakh to this practice:

Genesis 17:3 Abram fell with his face to the ground

Numbers 20:6 Moses and Aaron left the people. They went to the entrance to the Tent of Meeting. There they fell with their faces to the ground.

Joshua 5:14
And he said, No, but I am the the captain of the host of the Lord; I have now come. And Joshua fell on his face to the earth and prostrated himself, and said to him, What does my lord say to his servant?

Job 1:20
Then Job stood up, and rent his robe and tore his hair; then he fell to the ground and prostrated himself.
Another Jewish member who used to post on this forum over a year ago told me:
format_quote Originally Posted by SpaceFalcon2001
This is similar to, but not entirely, full prostration which is no longer widely practiced by Jews except on Yom Kippur. When Muslims took it upon themselves to prostrate to Allah, there was no problem, but when the christians began to kneel to Jesus, we unfortunatly had to ban this practice as we did not want to seem to be praying to the wrong God. There are many people who would like to bring back full prostration in the daily prayers, but I don't think it will happen anytime soon.
He also gave me this link:
http://www.chayas.com/qidah.htm

Here's a picture:

Peace :)

glo
09-01-2006, 06:42 AM
That's a really interesting thread!

In the thread about the 'Assisi Decalogue for Peace', it is mentioned that leaders from the main world religions came together to meet, pray and discuss issues of peace. I wonder just how they prayed together!

Prayer for Christians is far less prescribed than for Jews and Muslims, and I felt the video posted gave a fairly narrow perspective.
This link may be of some interest. It describes different prayer positions which may be adopted by Christians:
http://www.request.org.uk/main/dowha...r/prayer09.htm

Peace.

Muhammad
09-01-2006, 11:43 AM
Greetings,

I thought I should post another link seeing as the earlier link about Muslim prayer was only a couple of seconds and did not have any recitation in it.

It is a prayer in the holiest city for Muslims, Mecca; during the holiest month, Ramadan. The person leading the prayer, or the Imam, is one very much enjoyed by many Muslims who try to imitate the way in which he recites the holy Qur'an. Here he begins with the 78th Chapter.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...m+prayer&hl=en

All the actions of prayer are not clearly shown due to the zooming out of the camera, but at least we hear the part of the prayer where words are spoken aloud by the Imam :).

If anyone has better videos, please feel free to share! Also, I wanted to ask about the Jewish video (second one) - what are they saying when they chant in unison?

Peace.

lavikor201
09-01-2006, 06:48 PM
Ansar. I can tell you that maybe a Jewish community under Islamic countries did this. But prostrating is not common among Jews at all. Even on Yom Kippur only the Rabbi will get on his knees, and his head will not touch the ground.

Mohsin
09-01-2006, 06:58 PM
Ansar. I can tell you that maybe a Jewish community under Islamic countries did this. But prostrating is not common among Jews at all. Even on Yom Kippur only the Rabbi will get on his knees, and his head will not touch the ground.
So what about the verses Br. Ansar Al-'Adl posted before? how do you interpret them then?

lavikor201
09-01-2006, 07:00 PM
Not really sure. Prostation may have been used by some of our prophets to reach higher levels with G-d, but only our Rabbi will do somewhat of a prostation on a holy day.

We basically do not prostate in prayer, and we never really did to the best of my knowledge.

the word 'prostate' is not in the tanakh though. They say he was with his head to the ground, but that isnt while praying , but in awe of G-d.

north_malaysian
09-02-2006, 03:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ansar Al-'Adl
There seem to be some references in the Tanakh to this practice:

Genesis 17:3 Abram fell with his face to the ground

Numbers 20:6 Moses and Aaron left the people. They went to the entrance to the Tent of Meeting. There they fell with their faces to the ground.

Joshua 5:14
And he said, No, but I am the the captain of the host of the Lord; I have now come. And Joshua fell on his face to the earth and prostrated himself, and said to him, What does my lord say to his servant?

Job 1:20
Then Job stood up, and rent his robe and tore his hair; then he fell to the ground and prostrated himself.
Another Jewish member who used to post on this forum over a year ago told me:

He also gave me this link:
http://www.chayas.com/qidah.htm

Here's a picture:
http://children-of-abraham.org/2004/.../full_1035.jpg

Peace :)
The other religious group I've seen doing prostration in their prayers are the Ethiopian Orthodox Christians.... I've seen it on either Discovery Channel or Natl Geographic ...... maybe someone can find pics of the ethiopian Christians too?

Allah-creation
09-04-2006, 04:37 AM
Here are several videos of muslims praying.

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8

Khaldun
09-04-2006, 02:02 PM
:sl:

I would just like to clarify that, the link brother Muhammad posted, the "special" clothes the Imam is wearing is not required, rahter its more of a Saudi custom.

Its nice with the translation as you can follow the reciatiation.

جوري
09-05-2006, 05:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Allah-creation
Here are several videos of muslims praying.

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8
mashallah... the imam had the most amazing voice he made me cry and gave me goose pimples...
thank you so much for sharing this link
:)
fi aman illah
:w:

Allah-creation
09-06-2006, 03:30 PM
Thank you:)

Abu Zakariya
11-03-2006, 12:01 AM
Here's another video of the Muslim prayer:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4770&q=kanderi

It only shows the part where Muslims recite from the Qur'an (there are subtitles with the meaning in English, so you know what is being said). We also bow, prostrate etc. and proclaim, among other things:

* Perfect [Above, and free from, all imperfections] is my Lord, The Most High

* God listens to the one who praises Him. Oh, God - our Lord - to You be all praise!

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
11-03-2006, 01:19 AM
MashAllah, what a beautiful recitation :)

thirdwatch512
11-04-2006, 05:08 AM
us christians can pray in any way, shape, or form we want. whether we are sitting still, lying in bed, or even praying like islamic prayers.. we don't have any requirments, because as christians, we believe you can talk to god whenever and wherever and however you want.. and you shouldn't have to make certian bows and moves and such.

muslims.. well, this is an islamic board so you guys should know that.

as for judaism.. i'm not so sure.. i know that they say sh'ma yisrael in the morning and at night.. it's a nice prayer. :)

the baha'is say one obligatory prayer each day, and they can choose out of three.. they have a short prayer, a long, and a medium. but they get to choose. and they do have to make certain bows and movements and such.. it's very similar to a muslim prayer actually.. and they pray to haifa israel.

جوري
11-04-2006, 05:43 AM
what you are talking about in Islam is called supplication (du'a)... we make those as well......an actual prayer requires you recite from the Noble Quran and those are at certain times.... it really strengthens the bond between one and God.....The Prophet said: 'If one of you had a stream running at his door and he bathed in it five times every day, do you think any dirt would be left on him?' His companions answered, 'No dirt at all would be left on him.' He said, 'That is what the five prayers are like, with which Allah washes away your sins.' (Sahîh Bukhârî)

Ansar Al-'Adl
11-04-2006, 06:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by thirdwatch512
us christians can pray in any way, shape, or form we want. whether we are sitting still, lying in bed, or even praying like islamic prayers.. we don't have any requirments, because as christians, we believe you can talk to god whenever and wherever and however you want.. and you shouldn't have to make certian bows and moves and such.
Hi Thirdwatch,
Islam is actually very comprehensive and detailed so when Christians talk about 'prayer', Muslims have many terms including Dhikr, Du'â, and Salâh. When Christians speak about praying all the time, this is actually the tip of the iceberg in terms of the Islamic concept of Dhikr which entails a perpetual state of spiritual deovtion to God, remembering God, contemplating His bounties, reflecting upon His Majesty, etc. When you speak about praying to God for something, this is only touching upon the expansive Islamic concept of Du'â which entails supplicating to God, invoking God, repenting to God, etc. The formal prayers are the Salâh which are prescribed daily and allow for an organized format in one's prayer to God and congregational worship of Him.

So non-muslims often don't realize that tremendous concept of worship in Islam and only compare with the external bdy movements they see.

stannis
11-06-2006, 03:11 PM
As a Catholic who has never attended a Protestant church meeting, what I would like to know is what is the difference between Catholic and Protestant methods of prayer - or are there any? Can anyone help me with this?

duskiness
11-06-2006, 09:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by stannis
As a Catholic who has never attended a Protestant church meeting, what I would like to know is what is the difference between Catholic and Protestant methods of prayer - or are there any? Can anyone help me with this?
LOL that's a funny question on Islamic Forum :giggling:
Protestants differ VERY strongly. They are like patchwork, all colors, all sizes.
If you would visit Lutheran church, you wouldn't find their service that different from Catholic Mass. Except for theological differences, the biggest one is that Lutherans i know don't kneel :)
On the other hand Baptists service is much more informal. They sing, clap hands, then someone reads one part of Bible, then sing, then another reading, then everybody who feels in need ask for prayer, then Lord's Supper.
Pentecostal service may be even more informal. They are the one who emphasis "speaking in tongues".
And there are also Quakers who sit silently, unless someone "feels moved by Holy Spirit". It may happen that no one is moved, then they sit in silence for whole time.

Maybe take a chance and visit some Protestant churches?
And Orthodox one! I think that everyone should hear them singing!

stannis
11-07-2006, 11:42 AM
There are lots of Protestan churches here, perhaps I will visit one. Might be eduational :)

duskiness
11-07-2006, 05:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
the christians raise their hands and the
Orthodox also prostrate, catholics kneel or even sometimes lie on floor face down...but i don't believe that any of this indicates how one submits to God.

glo
11-07-2006, 07:21 PM
I was brought up a Catholic, but now attend a protestant church.
Our servic is very happy-clappy and free in praise and worship - very different to the formal and organised mass I remember from my childhood and the high Anglican services here in the UK.

Like Duskiness says, it's more personal preference than any reflection on how devoted people are to God.

When I pray alone at home, my prayer style often reflects what I am praying:
standing with my hands raised for God's strength or prostrate in submission to him ... and anything in between.

God bless :)

Grace Seeker
11-11-2006, 04:18 AM

As has already been said, Protestants are of many different varieities in prayer: standing, sitting, kneeling, jumping about and shouting, laying in bed looking up at the ceiling, or laying prostrate on the ground with face down. It might also be noted that there are variantions based not just on which denominations you are talking about, but also whether it is a time of personal private prayer or as part of corporate worship. For instance, Lutherans generally stand when praying in corporate worship, while Methodists tend to sit.

When I was in seminary, I had a worship professor try to teach us the importance of being aware of our body position in prayer and how it added different senses to the act of praying. He had us pray "The Lord's Prayer" first seated in our chairs, then kneeling at them, then standing with our hands raised above our heads, and then laying prostrate. Same prayer, and yet the emotional aspect of it and the way in which it resonated with one's inner spirit varied greatly from one position to another.

You might try that little experiment yourself.

Muhammad
11-11-2006, 04:54 PM
Greetings,

That's quite interesting, Grace Seeker. It made me reflect on how Muslims incorporate all these postures in a single unit of prayer: the standing, bowing, prostrating, sitting and even raising our hands out of prayers.

An interesting note is that one of the recommended times for Muslims to supplicate to God is when prostrating:

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: The closest that a person is to his Lord is when he is prostrating, so say a great deal of du’aa’ then. Narrated by Muslim, 482.

(du'aa = supplicating to God)

Peace :).

Ninth_Scribe
11-14-2006, 07:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Vishnu
Does anyone have videos of the different religions praying? I'm interested to see how you all pray. :)
Well, I haven't chosen a religion, but I do love God and when I want to visit, I usually begin the process by bathing. Then I wear some scented oil, and dress myself in this really pretty white prayer dress and light a zillion candles. Sometimes I play music (keyboards, guitar or celtic harp) and just chat about the things I learned or did since our last visit. Sometimes I even knit or draw. It's very casual and relaxed. No chants, no requests or demands, nothing ceremonial. I figure he gets enough of that else where. I share my world with him the way I would with any other friend or family member. There's enough in this world to make his heart heavy, so I only call when I'm happy and my home is warm and inviting. Like this:

Ninth Scribe

Grace Seeker
11-14-2006, 10:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad
Greetings,

That's quite interesting, Grace Seeker. It made me reflect on how Muslims incorporate all these postures in a single unit of prayer: the standing, bowing, prostrating, sitting and even raising our hands out of prayers.

An interesting note is that one of the recommended times for Muslims to supplicate to God is when prostrating:

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: The closest that a person is to his Lord is when he is prostrating, so say a great deal of du’aa’ then. Narrated by Muslim, 482.

(du'aa = supplicating to God)

Peace :).
Yes. I related on another thread how I was invited to join in prayers when I attended mosque with my Muslim daughter. Though I did not understand the Arabic, I found that I was indeed able to worship alongside all the other men as we incorporated all of those positions into the prayer time. It did not seem strange to me at all. In fact it was a very edifying experience. Enough so that I still remember it very positively now several years later. I would not hesitate to do it again, and should I ever live in a community that had a mosque and no church, I would probably even regularly attend to prayers there.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
11-14-2006, 11:19 PM
Wow, thats interesting to know:)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.