/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Sunset from space

Abdul-Raouf
09-01-2006, 01:34 PM
SunsetfromSpace

After you look at the picture -- scroll to the bottom to read the description and then back to the picture. Really beautiful sight for anyone to see.

----- THIS PHOTO IS ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL. BE SURE TO READ THE TEXT BELOW TO HAVE A BETTER UNDERSTANDING OF WHAT YOU ARE VIEWING. IT IS HISTORIC TOO AS THIS IS THE LAST MISSION FOR COLUMBIA.

http://img236.imageshack.us/my.php?i...wlettersc7.jpg

The photograph attached was taken by the crew on board the Columbia during its last mission, on a cloudless day.

The picture is of Europe and Africa when the sun is setting. Half of the picture is in night. The bright dots you see are
the cities lights.

The top part of Africa is the Sahara Desert.
Note that the lights are already on in Holland, Paris, and Barcelona, and that's it's still daylight in Dublin, London, Lisbon,
and Madrid.

The sun is still shining on the Strait of Gibraltar. The Mediterranean Sea is already in darkness.
In the middle of the Atlantic Ocean you can see the Azores Islands; below them to the right are the Madeira Islands; a bit
below are the Canary Islands; and further south, close to the farthest western point of Africa, are the Cape Verde Islands.

Note that the Sahara is huge and can be seen clearly both during Daytime and night time.

To the left, on top, is Greenland, totally frozen.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Al-Hanbali
09-01-2006, 01:37 PM
:sl:

Im sorry bro but the pic is not coming up.

S_87
09-01-2006, 01:37 PM

wheres the photo?

Abdul-Raouf
09-01-2006, 02:08 PM
http://img236.imageshack.us/my.php?i...wlettersc7.jpg

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Kidman
09-01-2006, 02:43 PM
that was beautiful.

Kidman

Raahil
09-01-2006, 03:06 PM

Kidman
09-01-2006, 05:00 PM
Oh Wooow.. guys, looks closely... do you see me waving and going like this :okay: ????

Kidman

jello
09-01-2006, 05:18 PM
:sl: and Hello,

Unfortunately I have to say that this is an "Urban Legend", and it is one of the many many false pictures and messages sent to all of us at one momment or the other.

You can check out the hoax at:

http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusi...tlesunset.html

It has some truth to it, but the message is untrue.

The image above is not a "photograph" in the literal sense. According to NASA's Astronomy Picture of the Day web site, it is a computer construct drawn from a variety of sources.

No single spacecraft or astronaut took this picture. It is a digital composite of archived images taken by several Earth-orbiting satellites and ocean-faring ships... Specifically, the daytime land images were taken by the MODIS instrument on NASA's Terra satellite, while the nighttime images were taken by the DMSP satellites. This image is different from what an astronaut would see for reasons including a complete lack of clouds and an unrealistic exaggeration of lights and contrasts.

It is a stunning image and the descriptive text accompanying it is at least geographically correct. But it's not a real photo, nor is it a beam of hope from a tragic mission. Break this chain.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.