/* */

PDA

View Full Version : AS Level help for students

Ameeratul Layl
09-01-2006, 06:17 PM
:sl:

I know how daunting it can be to think of your first day at college and where your studies will take you. You know what subjects you want to take but you still aren't certain. Or, you are 100% sure what subjects you wish to take but are afraid of regreting it later.

Either way, here is a thread dedicated to the AS students to-be. I know how disasterous it was having to mingle with different people and not be able to work on my own. I have completed my first year and in 8 days will begin my second year at college. Hey Presto! That was fast!

This is a thread for all you AS Students to-be to discuss any issues from: 'what are the most recommended subjects to be an astronaut?' to
'what is the unit for frequency?'

Don't feel that your life has become a nightmare since starting college - infact, this is your chance to shine!

All you have to remember is: do your best at college, dont waste time and leave the rest in God's Hands.

If you fail in your mocks, don't give up! I didn't and I'm still breathing.

So, feel free to ask any questions regarding life at college or questions regarding your course. I will mainly beable to help with:

Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Maths >> I've taken this on board so we'll do AS together

I am sure other br and sisters will help with the remaining subjects!

Wasalam
p.s: No offtopic or free posting

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
strider
09-02-2006, 02:31 PM
Assalamu alaikum

That's considerate of you, Jazakumullah Khair.

I might pop by if i ever need help for Biology. My other subjects are: English Literature, Sociology and Psychology.

:D

ameen
09-02-2006, 02:47 PM
salam strider,

will you be taking Psychology - AQA Specification A?

if so, I strongly recommend the past papers and mark-schemes which you can download from here:

http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gceasa/psya_assess.html

wsalam

- Qatada -
09-02-2006, 02:49 PM
:salamext:

Will we be doing the same stuff as we did last year? Like if you had to leave college last year - will we be doing a similar syllabus?

:wasalamex

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
strider
09-02-2006, 03:16 PM
Assalamu alaikum

format_quote Originally Posted by ameen
salam strider,

will you be taking Psychology - AQA Specification A?

if so, I strongly recommend the past papers and mark-schemes which you can download from here:

http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gceasa/psya_assess.html

wsalam
I honestly don't know, right now. I'll find out by Tuesday, InshaAllah. Jazakumullah for the link though.

Mujahidah4Allah
09-02-2006, 10:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah

Will we be doing the same stuff as we did last year? Like if you had to leave college last year - will we be doing a similar syllabus?

do you mean leave as in dropped put but then want to do same subjects again?

ma'salamah

ameen
09-02-2006, 10:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by strider
Assalamu alaikum

I honestly don't know, right now. I'll find out by Tuesday, InshaAllah. Jazakumullah for the link though.

salam,

actually, it doesn't matter which specification, as long as it's AQA, you should be able to find past-papers for any subject for free on that website (http://www.aqa.org.uk)

for example, if you find out that you are taking Psychology Specification B, instead of A, then you would use this link instead:

http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gceasa/psyb_assess.html

I think the use of past-papers and mark-schemes is vital if you'd like to get an A in this subject, or any other 'written' subject for that matter.

Unfortunately, Edexcel do not give out their past-papers for free - you have to buy from them :|

wsalam

- Qatada -
09-03-2006, 11:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by hyper~gal

do you mean leave as in dropped put but then want to do same subjects again?

ma'salamah

yeah.. i heard that they do the same thing twice over? the next year.

Mujahidah4Allah
09-03-2006, 02:52 PM

its most likely that you will do the same syllabus again if you are going to repeat the same year...

ma3asalamah

Ameeratul Layl
09-06-2006, 03:33 PM
salam,

I am so happy, today I recieved my home schooling folder for mathematics. I started the first exercise in the car and it seems okay. They seem to include a numer of Physics equations which is nice! Talking of Physics, I also picked my A2 Physics book (it was ordered). It is just as thick as the AS book. I can't wait to do some reading!

Can't wait to begin college!

Good luck to all.

wasalam
p.s: One of my booklets is about calculus. What is calculus defined in English?

Kamilah
09-06-2006, 03:42 PM
JazakAllau Khair look forward to it.

I may need help with

Chemistry
Biology
and Human Biology.

Ameeratul Layl
09-06-2006, 03:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kamilah
JazakAllau Khair look forward to it.

I may need help with

Chemistry
Biology
and Human Biology.

I've have done Human bio/biology and chemistry. I could help.

:w:

jzcasejz
09-06-2006, 07:51 PM

MashaAllah this thread sounds great...JZK for it...
We have some support in our college so they would be of great help to me...

Howeva im not sure if this is regarded as freeposting, but I'd just like to quickly say what A Levels I chose...it's a really "wierd combination" as my tutor put it...

1. Maths (Mechanical)
  2. English Literature
  3. Histroy
  4. 'N' Socialogy...

Since i'm doing maths...I might pop in here for abit...well thats if you dont mind...n ermmm..sorry for the interruption...but thumbs up to this thread...:D

Ameeratul Layl
09-06-2006, 08:00 PM
salam Br jzcasejz,

Firstly, I am glad you find that this thread will be of use to you.InshAllah.

Secondly, you were not freeposting. Freeposting is when you post to the opposite and add things such as 'lol' to your posts. Basically, freeposting is fitnah and you were not doing that. I believe, you meant to say: offtopic. In which case, you were not offtopic either.
Thirdly,it is okay to mention what subjects you are studying as others who will read your post may need help with the same subjects you are studying and may wish to ask you.
Almost there, you mentioned you were studying mechanical mathematics. What board are you taking?

Finally, what is socialogy? I have heard of it so many times but I have no idea what its about. Care to share some facts!

Wasalam

p.s: Weird combination of subject choices? I don't think so.

jzcasejz
09-06-2006, 08:15 PM

Maths board will be OCR...

N I first chose Media Studies which after a couple of days I was uncertain on..so just today I replaced with socialogy...as I remembered it from an induction day we had...
n sorry i can't completely provide a breakdown of what it involves but i remember the teacher saying it was a study of our society and the people that live in it...

- Qatada -
09-06-2006, 08:25 PM

I think sociology is the study of society, and how the society plays a major role in influencing a person. Whereas psychology is more linked to the mind. That's why they're both kind of linked together. wa Allaahu a'lam.

strider
09-06-2006, 09:28 PM
Assalamu alaikum

I think sociology is the study of society, and how the society plays a major role in influencing a person. Whereas psychology is more linked to the mind. That's why they're both kind of linked together. wa Allaahu a'lam.

You're right. Sociology is the study of people in groups and although it does take into consideration the study of individuals, it looks at the bigger picture and concentrates on groups of people, how they act the way they do etc.

I had my first sociology class today. :)

Ameeratul Layl
09-07-2006, 10:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by jzcasejz

Maths board will be OCR...

I am taking EDEXCEL. It is said to be much easier than the other boards but I am finding it a bit of a challenge. I enjoy challenges!

I wonder what makes people want to take these subjects? Interesting.
JazakAllah for the explanations brother.

format_quote Originally Posted by strider
I had my first sociology class today.
I will begin college tomorrow.inshAllah. Oh yes, AS Students begin before the A2s.
Sister, how did the lesson go? Was it interesting? What was your fist lesson about? Most of all, what made you want to study sociology?

Ameeratul Layl
09-07-2006, 02:23 PM
salam,

Topic: Mathematics

I read through my home schooling booklet and it states that C1 is non calculator. I am finding it difficult not using a calculator as we use it alot in Physics.

C1 = Evaluating formulae, simlpifying expressions and expanding brackets.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

S = a(1-r 'to the N')

1-r

a= 3
r= 1/3
n=4

I don't know whwre to start with this question. The fraction sacres me and completely puts me off the question. Could someone kindly help?

jazakAllah

wasalam

Ameeratul Layl
09-07-2006, 02:41 PM
salam,

anyone? I'm really stuck and if no one helps me (very soon with the above), then I cannot move on.

wasalam

ameen
09-07-2006, 03:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ameeratul Layl
salam,

Topic: Mathematics

I read through my home schooling booklet and it states that C1 is non calculator. I am finding it difficult not using a calculator as we use it alot in Physics.

C1 = Evaluating formulae, simlpifying expressions and expanding brackets.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

S = a(1-r 'to the N')

1-r

a= 3
r= 1/3
n=4

I don't know whwre to start with this question. The fraction sacres me and completely puts me off the question. Could someone kindly help?

jazakAllah

wasalam
salam,

please can you confirm that the question is actually from C2 - 'Geometric Sequences / Series' , and not C1 ?

That equation is in my C2 book, but not C1.

strider
09-07-2006, 04:59 PM
:
Sister, how did the lesson go? Was it interesting? What was your fist lesson about? Most of all, what made you want to study sociology?
Yes, it was interesting. We are currently discussing the nature v. nuture argument. Today's lesson concentrated on feral children (children brought up by wild animals and subsequently adopt many of the behavioural patterns attributed to them; there was a documentary on Channel 4 called 'wild child' and you can check out www.feralchildren.com if you are interested)

In answer to your last question: people fascinate me. Why do some people act the way they do, what influences them, how do certain things affect them etc etc. I'm taking psychology and inshaAllah i want to go onto study psychology in depth at Uni, and as sociology is inter-connected i've decided to study it. Oh, and whoever says psychology/sociology are 'common sense' subjects are very wrong as it is based on research and evidence not just opinions. :giggling:

Ameeratul Layl
09-07-2006, 07:38 PM
salam,
it is definately C1.

sis strider, you enjoy those lessons and keep us updated.

wasalam

ameen
09-07-2006, 09:41 PM
it is definately C1.
salam,

here is part of the Formulae-sheet for C2, from Edexcel's website..

you can see that the equation you mentioned in your question is part of the C2 specification:

I think what happened is that they used an equation from a C2 topic - as an example - in the C1 topic you mentioned: 'Evaluating formulae, simlpifying expressions and expanding brackets.'

ameen
09-07-2006, 10:30 PM
this is how I would evaluate the equation using the values given in the question, although somebody else might know a better way :

a = 3
r = 1/3
n = 4

S = ...

a ( 1 - r ^n )

1 - r

substituting in the values given in the question:

3 [ 1 - (1/3)^4 ]

1 - (1/3)

simplify top and bottom:

3 [ 1 - (1/81) ]

2/3

then expand brackets:

3 - (1/27)
________

2/3

multiply both top and bottom by 3:

9 - (1/9)
_______

simplify top:

80/9
____

finally, this simplifies to: S = 80/18 , which further simplifies to 40/9 .

please let me know if I can clarify any part of this answer.

wsalam

Ameeratul Layl
09-08-2006, 12:56 PM
salam,

Can you show the simplifying step by step please. Infact, everything step by step.

i.e: point out when you are going to change one number to the other side and why. Etc.

wasalam
P.s: It takes a while for things to sink in so please don't get offended if I say I don't understand. Its me!

ameen
09-08-2006, 10:17 PM
salam,

Please see my comments after each step of the answer, given in bold.

a = 3
r = 1/3
n = 4

S = ...

a ( 1 - r ^n )

1 - r

This is the equation given in the question, and you will be trying to find out what 'S' is (left-hand side of the equation), using the values of 'a' , 'r' , and 'n' given in the question, by substituting them into the right-hand side of the equation.

substituting in the values given in the question:

3 [ 1 - (1/3)^4 ]

1 - (1/3)

Here you simply put in the values of 'a' , 'r' and 'n' , as given in the question, into the right-hand side of the equation (you replace the letters with the numbers). This is because you are trying to find out what 'S' is equal to, and 'S' is equal to everything on the right-hand side of the original equation.

simplify top and bottom:

3 [ 1 - (1/81) ]

2/3

To simplify the top of the fraction, 3 [ 1 - (1/3)^4 ] , you need to work out the (1/3)^4 part. To do this without using a calculator, you need to know that according to one of the 'rules of powers', (1/3)^4 is the same as putting both the top and bottom parts of the fraction to the power of 4, like this:

1^4
____

3^4

and since 1^4 is 1, and 3^4 is 81, this part becomes 1/81 .

To simplify the bottom part of the fraction, 1 - (1/3) , you need to know that '1' can be written as 3/3 , so that instead of working out 1 - (1/3) , you can work out (3/3) - (1/3) instead. (3/3) - (1/3) , is 2/3 , because when the bottom parts of two fractions are the same (which is 3 in this case), you can just subtract the top part of one fraction from the top part of the other fraction, whenever you want to subtract the one fraction from the other (it is one of the 'rules of fractions').

then expand brackets:

3 - (1/27)
________

2/3

To expand 3 [ 1 - (1/81) ] , you multiply what is on the 'outside' (3 in this case), with each term on the inside. So after expansion, this becomes 3 x 1 = 3 , and
3 x (1/81) = 3/81. But 3/81 can be written in a more 'simple' / 'smaller' form, because you can divide both the top and the bottom of this fraction by the same number, to get a more simple fraction which is equivalent to the original. Dividing the top '3' and the bottom '81' by 3 gives 1 and 27 respectively. Therefore, you can write 3/81 as 1/27, as both of these fractions are equivalent, but the latter is 'simpler'.

multiply both top and bottom by 3:

9 - (1/9)
_______

Here, you are multiplying top and bottom by 3 because you want to get rid of the fraction at the bottom (the 2/3) . Multiplying the bottom by 3 eliminates this fraction, making the 2/3 become just 2. To multiply the top, 3 - (1/27) , by 3, you need to carry out this expansion: 3 [ 3 - (1/27) ] . So again, you multiply the 3 which is 'outside', with each term inside: 3 x 3 = 9 , and 3 x 1/27 is 3/27. However, once again, 3/27 can be written in a simpler form, by dividing both the top and the bottom by the same number (3 in this case), so 3/27 becomes 1/9 instead.

simplify top:

80/9
____

To simplify 9 - (1/9) , you need to write the '9' as a fraction which will allow you to carry out the subtraction without using a calculator. To be able to do this, you need to make the bottom parts of each fraction the same. Looking at the (1/9) , you can see that the bottom part of this fraction is 9, so you should try to also write the '9' in a fraction-form with 9 at the bottom.

This is how you can do this -

think of 9 as:

_

Using the rule: you have to do to the top whatever you do to the bottom (and vice versa), you can multiply both the top and the bottom of this fraction by 9 , in order to convert it into:

__

now that you have the '9' written in this form (81/9), with 9 at the bottom of the fraction, you can work out the 9 - (1/9) part, by working out (81/9) - (1/9) instead. The bottom parts of these two fractions are the same, so you can just work out 81 - 1 (subtracting the top parts), to arrive at 80/9.

finally, this simplifies to: S = 80/18 , which further simplifies to 40/9 .

Dividing 80/9 by 2 gives 80/18, because when you divide a fraction by any number, you can simply multiply the bottom part of this fraction by that number (it's one of the 'rules of fractions'). 80/18 finally simplifies to 40/9, because you can divide both the top and the bottom parts of this fraction by 2, to arrive at the fraction, 40/9, which is equivalent to 80/18, but is simpler.

Please let me know if you have any questions about any parts of this post.

wsalam

Ameeratul Layl
09-12-2006, 12:16 PM
salam,

jazakAllah brother ameen. I understand it now.alhamdullilah.

If anyone needs help with AS:

Human biology,chemistry,physics...Do let me know!

wasalam

Ameeratul Layl
09-16-2006, 03:56 PM
salam,

People, please don't be afraid to ask any questions. There is always someone here to help.InshAllah.

wasalam

Starseeker
09-18-2006, 04:44 PM
Okay who can answer this question I need Helpppp:

State two ways in which the structure of a capillary is related to its function

It's for Biology and I dont understand it and Google isnt helping either.

Ameeratul Layl
09-19-2006, 11:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Starseeker
Okay who can answer this question I need Helpppp:

It's for Biology and I dont understand it and Google isnt helping either.

I'm not going to supply you with the answer but.

Think: What does the capillary consist of (tissue or bone)? What is its structure like and how does the structure help with its job?

Ameeratul Layl
09-19-2006, 02:03 PM
salam,

I was looking through an exam paper yesterday and today and I just could not get my head around the mark scheme answer. So, could someone answer the question please.

Q)The RAM of Iodine in the Periodic Table is 126.9 on the data sheet. Explain what this value represents.

(3 marks)

I read in the mark scheme it had something to do with radioactive deacy. But, I asked my teacher today and he said the answer is basically...emm..to do with Carbon. He only mentioned a few words so I can't see how that was only a 3 mark question. HIS answer had nothing to do with the mark scheme answer.

Wasalam

ameen
09-19-2006, 02:12 PM
salam,

is it possible for you to type up word-for-word the answer given in the mark-scheme, exactly as it appears?

09-19-2006, 02:15 PM
RAM = relative atomic mass (in comparison to carbon)

So 129.6 is the relative atomic mass of iodine relative to one twelvth of a carbon-12 atom

I think it's something on those lines :)

ameen
09-19-2006, 02:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Starseeker
salam,

These are the two answers I would give:

1) Thin diameter of walls - made of only a single layer of epithelial cells - (so this reduces diffusion-distance).

2) Large surface-area - (so this increases rate of diffusion).

I'm sure there are other answers.

wsalam

Ameeratul Layl
09-19-2006, 04:00 PM
[MOUSE]salam,

Br Ameen, you were not meant to provide starseeker with the answer. Your menat to explain. Thats how you learn! [/MOUSE]

[BANANA]Annnyhow, he s the answer from the mark scheme:

Weighted/Weighed/taking into account (relative) abundances/
Intensity/percentages
average/mean mass
of (naturally occuring) isotopes/atoms of different masses[/BANANA]

I am so scared I'm going to fail all my exams. The stress is mounting up already! :(

wasalam

- Qatada -
09-19-2006, 05:16 PM

I am so scared I'm going to fail all my exams. The stress is mounting up already! :(

wasalam

Keep revising sister, and do all that you have power over in this world. Then make lot's of dua' and put your trust in Allaah azawajal

..put your trust in Allah, certainly, Allah loves those who put their trust (in Him). (3:159)

This is the way of Allaah's messenger (peace be upon him.)

Sahih Bukhari Volume 4, Book 56, Number 747

Narrated Rabia bin Abi Abdur-Rahman:

I heard Anas bin Malik describing the Prophet saying, "He was of medium height amongst the people, neither tall nor short; he had a rosy color, neither absolutely white nor deep brown; his hair was neither completely curly nor quite lank. Divine Inspiration was revealed to him when he was forty years old. He stayed ten years in Mecca receiving the Divine Inspiration, and stayed in Medina for ten more years. When he expired, he had scarcely twenty white hairs in his head and beard." Rabi'a said, "I saw some of his hairs and it was red. When I asked about that, I was told that it turned red because of scent. "

Compare yourself to what you're going through, and what the Messenger of Allaah (peace be upon him) went through. And at the end of his life, he only had 20white hairs in total. Look at the seerah (life story) of Rasulullah (sal Allaahu alayhi waSalam) and you'll see how much hardships he faced, but he (peace be upon him) put his trust in Allaah, after doing all the worldly actions he had control over.

So follow that example insha'Allaahu ta'aala.

ameen
09-20-2006, 10:38 AM
Q)The RAM of Iodine in the Periodic Table is 126.9 on the data sheet. Explain what this value represents.

(3 marks)
salam,

this is how 'Relative Atomic Mass' (RAM) is defined in an A-Level Chemistry book:

"The Relative Atomic Mass of an element is defined as the mass of one atom of that element relative to 1/12th the mass of one atom of carbon-12."

(this is what sr. asma said above, and also probably what your teacher was talking about when you asked him.)

..the book then continues the definition to say:

"The Relative Atomic Mass is the average of the masses of the stable isotopes of the element, weighted to take into account the relative abundance of each isotope."

So this latter definition is what the mark-scheme is looking for, but the mark-scheme split up this definition into three parts, each part being worth a mark each. I have matched each part of the definition above with the corresponding marking point given in the mark-scheme (below), by using associated colours.

Mark-scheme answer:

- Weighted / Weighed / taking into account (relative) abundances / Intensity / percentages

- average / mean mass

- of (naturally occuring) isotopes / atoms of different masses

If you take these three marking points and combine them together (in the given order) to form one sentence, it can become: 'Weighted - average - of (naturally occuring) isotopes' - which says the same thing as the definition given above.

please let us know if you need help understanding any part of the definition, such as what an 'isotope' is, or what 'relative abundance' means.

wsalam

09-20-2006, 10:44 AM
did u say brother? oops i hope i didn't say anything in the rep i thought u were a sis

Sum-Muslim-Gal
09-20-2006, 06:26 PM
lol sis^^i thought he was a sis 2..sowie lol

maaan all of you'z are well clever here...alll taking sceince or relating to science good on u all...i think am 2 dumb 4this thread i'll shuhhhHH..

Ameeratul Layl
09-21-2006, 11:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sum-Muslim-Gal
lol sis^^i thought he was a sis 2..sowie lol

maaan all of you'z are well clever here...alll taking sceince or relating to science good on u all...i think am 2 dumb 4this thread i'll shuhhhHH..

First of all, I am glad you find this thread useful.
Secondly, no one is dumb. We were not born with the knowledge, everyone has to GAIN knowledge. With some people, they gain more knowledge than others at a certain age. Some people are slow at learning and I am a typical example. No one is dumb for any thread. We are all here in this Dunya and part of this thread, to learn.
Don't think ill of yourself sister.

Ameeratul Layl
09-21-2006, 01:18 PM
salam,

Just out of interest, what is the pass % for 1 exam paper (AS Biology)?
What % for 1 exam paper is an E?

wasalam

09-21-2006, 01:21 PM
sos dunno...

ameen
09-21-2006, 07:46 PM
salam,

Just out of interest, what is the pass % for 1 exam paper (AS Biology)?
What % for 1 exam paper is an E?

wasalam
salam,

below are the grade-boundaries used for the Edexcel Biology Units taken in January of this Year (2006). The grade-boundaries do vary from time to time - but only slightly if they do.

According to this, a grade E would require roughly around 40% of the marks.

wsalam

Ameeratul Layl
09-21-2006, 07:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ameen
salam,

below are the grade-boundaries used for the Edexcel Biology Units taken in January of this Year (2006). The grade-boundaries do vary from time to time - but only slightly if they do.

According to this, a grade E would require roughly around 40% of the marks.

wsalam

I'm doing AQA for Biology, not EDEXCEL.
Just wish to know the % for atleast a garde E.

ameen
09-21-2006, 07:53 PM
I'm doing AQA for Biology, not EDEXCEL.
Just wish to know the % for atleast a garde E.
salam,

The grade-boundaries used by AQA should be very similar to those used by Edexcel (ie. around 40% for grade E). The above list is from the back of a mark-scheme I have for Edexcel - but not AQA.

There may be something on AQA's website though (www.aqa.org.uk).

wsalam

ameen
09-21-2006, 08:17 PM
salam,

I found the AQA grade-boundaries on page 3 of this PDF file on their website:

http://www.aqa.org.uk/news/GRADE_BOUNDARIES.PDF

For grade E , their requirement is also around 40% for the Biology Units.

wsalam

Ameeratul Layl
09-25-2006, 11:55 AM
[BANANA]salam.JazakAllah br ameen.[/BANANA]

[MOUSE]Physics issue[/MOUSE]

This question is set as a revision question for homework. I have read it carefully and managed to pick out what I believe to be the important parts.

The question is about:
-a shower system
-the syetm can be operated with one/two 4kW heaters connected.

Q) explain why the water achieves a contant temp when the shower is operating.

A) Because, the mains will switch on which means the heater chamber will heat the water. If the coils become too hot then the heater chamber will switch off and water will cool down.

Is my answer right?

wasalam and jazakAllah.

ALSO: What is the formula for flow rate? It is to do with specific heat capacity - E=MCT

ameen
09-25-2006, 12:32 PM
(deleted)

ameen
09-25-2006, 12:40 PM
salam,

The following are the syllabus-specific AS books that I would recommend for the courses given in bold:

Psychology - AQA

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Psychology-A...409698-5694053

Mathematics - Edexcel

Core Maths - C1
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mathematics-...409698-5694053

Core Maths - C2
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mathematics-...409698-5694053

Statistics - S1
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Statistics-H...409698-5694053

Biology - Edexcel

Unit 1 - Molecules and Cells

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-Biol...409698-5694053

Unit 2 - Exchange, Transport and Reproduction
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-Biol...409698-5694053

Unit 3 - Energy and the Environment
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Energy-Envir...409698-5694053

Chemistry - Edexcel Nuffield

The Students' Book
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nuffield-Adv...409698-5694053

The Teachers' Guide (Useful because has answers to questions in the Student's Book)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nuffield-Adv...409698-5694053

wsalam

Ameeratul Layl
09-26-2006, 04:03 PM

Could someone kindly post seperate graphs to represent the following:

1)Electrical conductivity from H -Ar
2)Melting and boiling points from H-Ar
3)First ionisation enthalpy from H-Ar.

JazakAllah

Ameeratul Layl
09-27-2006, 11:33 AM

JazakAllah

salam,

Anyone??

wasalam

Ameeratul Layl
09-28-2006, 12:09 PM

JazakAllah

Please help...someone.

ameen
09-28-2006, 07:11 PM

salam,

1) Electrical Conductivity of the Elements:

source: http://www.boolean.ca/perlib/

wsalam

ameen
09-28-2006, 10:54 PM

2) Melting Points of the Elements:

source: http://www.webelements.com/webelemen...ing-point.html

2) Boiling Points of the Elements:

source: http://www.webelements.com/webelemen...ing-point.html

wsalam

ameen
09-29-2006, 03:08 AM

3) First Ionization Energies / Enthalpies of the Elements:

source: http://www.webelements.com/webelemen...-energy-1.html

wsalam

Ameeratul Layl
09-29-2006, 06:47 AM
salam,

Oh brother, WAllah, I cannot elaborate how...thankful I am.
Name the nmber of reps!

wasalam
p.s:JazakAllah!!

AceOfHearts
10-08-2006, 12:56 AM
[BANANA]salam.JazakAllah br ameen.[/BANANA]

[MOUSE]Physics issue[/MOUSE]

This question is set as a revision question for homework. I have read it carefully and managed to pick out what I believe to be the important parts.

The question is about:
-a shower system
-the syetm can be operated with one/two 4kW heaters connected.

Q) explain why the water achieves a contant temp when the shower is operating.

A) Because, the mains will switch on which means the heater chamber will heat the water. If the coils become too hot then the heater chamber will switch off and water will cool down.

Is my answer right?

wasalam and jazakAllah.

ALSO: What is the formula for flow rate? It is to do with specific heat capacity - E=MCT
Assalamu alaikum Sister,

I cannot comment on whether your answer is right or wrong. I would say more information is required in the question for it to be the answer they are looking for, specifically about the the heating system and how it operates, which you did not give in the question. Or the context from which the question is taken from could mean your answer is the correct one.

Looking at the question on its own, I would simply say that the temperature of the water is constant because the 'flow rate' is constant when the shower is operating, and the power is constant (rate of energy transfer is constant). Therefore, as they are both constant, the temperature of the water stays constant.

Hope that helps :)

Ameeratul Layl
10-09-2006, 11:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Companion
Assalamu alaikum Sister,

I cannot comment on whether your answer is right or wrong. I would say more information is required in the question for it to be the answer they are looking for, specifically about the the heating system and how it operates, which you did not give in the question. Or the context from which the question is taken from could mean your answer is the correct one.

Looking at the question on its own, I would simply say that the temperature of the water is constant because the 'flow rate' is constant when the shower is operating, and the power is constant (rate of energy transfer is constant). Therefore, as they are both constant, the temperature of the water stays constant.

Hope that helps :)
I handed that assigment question in ages ago. But jazakAllah for reading my post and posting.

wasalam

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.