/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Circumcision

glo
09-01-2006, 08:39 PM
If our bodies are to be kept clean and pure for Allah's glory, and to be kept just as Allah intended them to be (i.e. no tattoos, piercings, removal of facial hair etc), why are male Muslims obliged to have their foreskin removed?

thanks. :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
chacha_jalebi
09-01-2006, 08:42 PM
because dont the foreskin like carry dirt & can cause diseases in the future?

- Qatada -
09-01-2006, 08:45 PM
Hi glo.

These links may be of some help insha'Allaah:

Ruling on circumcision

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?re...t=circumcision

The health and religious benefits of circumcision
http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?re...t=circumcision

What is the hair that it is permissible to remove and the hair that it is not permissible to remove?
http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?re...n=eng&txt=trim

Allaah Almighty knows best.

Peace.

glo
09-01-2006, 09:00 PM
Thank you, both. :)

So circumcision is carried out largely for health and hygiene reasons?
And to demonstrate a commitment to Allah?

But why is man designed to have a foreskin in the first place, just to have to removed? Why would Allah create something that is not beneficial? :?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
chacha_jalebi
09-01-2006, 09:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Thank you, both. :)

So circumcision is carried out largely for health and hygiene reasons?
And to demonstrate a commitment to Allah?

But why is man designed to have a foreskin in the first place, just to have to removed? Why would Allah create something that is not beneficial? :?
hmmm lol sista

theres loads of un beneficial things that Allah (swt) has created like shaytan:D but in a way he has created them, as a reminder for us or so we can follow his way & his commands:D if thats understandable :p

Cherub
09-01-2006, 09:04 PM
Hmmm the natural state of men is not having a foreskin?
Why does that sound weird?

Like the natural state of mankind is to not be born with handicaps.
Yet many people are born with all sorts of handicaps often very grave ones.
A really nasty one is harlequin disease that makes the baby's skin like scales.

Also many people are born without any beard growth whatsoever.
So what are they supposed to do?

What if the males are born with female genitales? Which also happens from time to time.

- Qatada -
09-01-2006, 09:16 PM
Hi.

Allaah out of His eternal Wisdom knows the reasons for why He creates such things.

But we all do know that factors such as circumcising, or trimming the moustache etc, and letting the beard grow are forms of obeying the Creator, and His messenger (peace be upon him) - so we know as muslims that if a person obey's Allaah and His messengers, then he/she is being rewarded for it, maybe not because he/she is actually i.e. trimming the moustache etc, but rather because they obeyed what was commanded to them.

So by creating these things, it may be a form of reward if one was to obey Allaah or his messenger regarding that commandment. Whereas if one was to disobey Allaah or His messenger, the person may be sinful - hence it may be part of the test, as to whether one will obey Allaah and His messengers or not.

Cherub, you can refer to this link insha'Allaah: (God willing.)

Why Does Allah Allow Suffering and Evil in the World?
http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503544478

And we know that if a person cannot grow the beard etc., due to natural circumstances - then obviously they aren't blameworthy of it. However, the person should try their utmost best to do as much of that action that they can:

“So keep your duty to Allaah and fear Him as much as you can”
[al-Taghaabun 64:16]

“Allaah burdens not a person beyond his scope”[al-Baqarah 2:286]

Peace.

glo
09-01-2006, 09:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tayyaba
yeaa...but thats like *barf*
Forgive me, sister, but you shouldn't say that!

I work with people with all kinds of disabilities and disfigurements - they are not *barf*, they are human beings who carry a lot of burden and sufferi many prejudices - just because of how they were born.
And believe me, many of them won't settle for a simple 'Allah knows best'. And I can't blame them, when I see the struggles they have to deal with on a daily basis. :cry:

peace.

- Qatada -
09-01-2006, 09:18 PM
Regarding your other points cherub - a person would have to refer to an islamic scholar, who would refer to the Qur'an and Authentic Sunnah to give an answer insha'Allaah.

Peace.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-01-2006, 09:19 PM
Forgive me, sister, but you shouldn't say that!

I work with people with all kinds of disabilities and disfigurements - they are not *barf*, they are human beings who carry a lot of burden and sufferi many prejudices - just because of how they were born.
And believe me, many of them won't settle for a simple 'Allah knows best'. And I can't blame them, when I see the struggles they have to deal with on a daily basis. :cry:

peace.
Sorry.. i didnt mean it like that sis. :( ok i take it back :( jus i mean i dont think that way. I would never make fun of ppl with disabilities! My brother is one of them cuz he had an eye tumor..so my mistake. i was talkin bout females born like males...

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-01-2006, 09:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Cherub
Yes it happens, how does Islam look at people born with handicaps or things like this?
From what i remember Islam teaches children are born Muslim and without sin.
So how can Allah be so cruel to like...create people like that?

Whats the idea behind that in Islam?
In Christianity it's because mankind is born sinful and the devil that cause these things if i remember correctly.

But i stand to be corrected if it's different by any Christian that has more knowledge about these things.
Well if im not mistaken, the whole point is to make people realize what they have and should appreciate what they r given. Some ppl r blessed than others and u should never say, i dont have enuff or this or that. Cuz sometimes ur better off than most. You should always be thankful to Allah(swt) for what u have already.

Cherub
09-01-2006, 10:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tayyaba
I hope, Inshallah, someone will answer that. Someone knowledgeable. Maybe u should open a new thread for ur questions bro :)
Peace
Hi Tayyaba i'm asking a lot and i doubt many people can be bothered right now.
As they already tried so hard to find all those verses for me to read.
I almost feel ungrateful by asking all these questions.

Just thanks for reading it and hopefully i will get an answer :)

Better to get back to circumcision, and what role it plays in Islam.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-01-2006, 10:09 PM
Theres no need to feel ungrateful, you can ask us all u want. Take whatever info u can absorb. Islam encourages us to learn all the time. Theres no limit to how much a person can learn. So dont worry bout it.
ok back to the topic.

Cherub
09-01-2006, 10:38 PM
sorry i'm here again :)
But with a question about circumcision.
At what age are Muslims to be circumcised ?
Is there an age limit?

Also in what way are men to be circumcised?
Is there some manner prescribed? Or can it be the local hairdresser with his scissors?

Can you do it yourself? Was circumcision always the way Muslims behaved?
If so why did this not develop in other parts of the world?
Allah send messengers all over the globe.
Yet only in the Middle East , mainly Egypt did people begin the practice of circumcision.
I am not aware of any other people who did this before them.

doodlebug
09-01-2006, 11:53 PM
We're born with fingernails too but if we didn't cut those they'd be all curled up and we wouldn't be able to function.

QuranStudy
09-01-2006, 11:58 PM
We're born with fingernails too but if we didn't cut those they'd be all curled up and we wouldn't be able to function.
Good comparison. Reps.

Nawal89
09-02-2006, 12:05 AM
At what age are Muslims to be circumcised ?
Muslim males are usually circumcised before puberty. Ibn 3abbas radhiyallah anhu was circumcised around 12 or thirteen i think.

Also in what way are men to be circumcised?
Is there some manner prescribed? Or can it be the local hairdresser with his scissors?
There is no specific way, for example i read in bidayah wannihayah that when Ibraheem (abraham) alayhissalam circumcised he did it by himself with an axe when he was 80 years old:X. In yemen in the village my dad went to see a baby get it done and they did it with a knife then they broke an egg over the private parts so to it wont get infected. My bros got all theirs done at the hospital.

Can you do it yourself?
I guess so if you're brave enough. ;D
Was circumcision always the way Muslims behaved?
To the best of my knowledge it was :)
If so why did this not develop in other parts of the world?
Allah send messengers all over the globe.
Yet only in the Middle East , mainly Egypt did people begin the practice of circumcision.
I am not aware of any other people who did this before them.
I'll let someone more knowledgable answer this inshaAllah. I hope i helped.

glo
09-02-2006, 12:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by doodlebug
Hhhmmm, that doesn't quite follow.
To my knowledge foreskins do not curl up and cease to function, if they are not cut. Neither do they grow back, when cut. :?

syilla
09-02-2006, 01:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nawal89
Muslim males are usually circumcised before puberty. Ibn 3abbas radhiyallah anhu was circumcised around 12 or thirteen i think.

There is no specific way, for example i read in bidayah wannihayah that when Ibraheem (abraham) alayhissalam circumcised he did it by himself with an axe when he was 80 years old:X. In yemen in the village my dad went to see a baby get it done and they did it with a knife then they broke an egg over the private parts so to it wont get infected. My bros got all theirs done at the hospital.

I guess so if you're brave enough. ;D
To the best of my knowledge it was :)

I'll let someone more knowledgable answer this inshaAllah. I hope i helped.
:sl:

Nowadays...does not hurt anymore...

they use laser....

:w:

Malaikah
09-02-2006, 01:44 PM
err.. im no doctor lol but maybe it does have a purpose, like maybe its important for development in the womb or something- allahu a3lim (allah knows best).

or maybe its just a test for men or something... in which the case its purpose would be spiritual rather than physical..

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-03-2006, 01:56 AM
The performance of circumcision is one of the rules of cleanliness in Islam. It is reported by Abu Hurairah that the Prophet Muhammed (Peace Be Upon Him) mentioned:

Five are the acts quite akin to fitra: circumcision, shaving the pubes, cutting the nails, plucking the hair under the armpits and clipping (or shaving) the moustache (Recorded in "Sahih Muslim", "Sahih Bukhari", "Musnad Ahmed" and "Sunnah At-Tirmidhi").

The word fitra in relation to cleanliness can refer to the Sunnah of the Prophet (pbuh) with regard to this matter, and fitra also "implies an inner sense of cleanliness in man which is proof of his moral convictions and mental health".

Today the doctors say that lack of circumcision:

Is the biggest risk factor for heterosexually-acquired AIDS virus infection in men (8-times higher risk by itself, and even higher when lesions from STDs are added in).
Is responsible for a 12-fold higher risk of urinary tract infections. Carries a higher risk of death in the first year of life (from complications of urinary tract infections: kidney failure, meningitis and infection of bone marrow).
One in 900 uncircumcised men will die from cancer of the penis or require at least partial penile amputation as a result. (In contrast, penile cancer never occurs in men circumcised at birth).
Often leads to balanitis (inflammation of the glens), phimosis (inability to retract the foreskin) and paraphimosis (constriction of the penis by a tight foreskin). Up to 18% of uncircumcised boys will develop one of these by 8 years of age, whereas all are unknown in the circumcised.
Means problems that may result in a need for circumcision late in life: complication risk = 1 in 100 (compared with 1 in 1000 in the newborn).
Is associated with higher incidence of cervical cancer in the female partners of uncircumcised men.

This is what I found.

Peace

Ansar Al-'Adl
09-03-2006, 02:06 AM
:sl:
First; Circumcision for men is clearly part of Islam as it is one of the five things listed by the Prophet Muhammad pbuh as being part of the fitrah, in
a hadith recorded by Bukhari and Muslim. This is sufficient proof but as for the Prophet pbuh he was circumcised by his grandfather, Abdul-Muttalib on the 7th day, according to the strongest verdict (see Zaad al-Ma'ad fi Hadyi khayr al-Ibaad 1/82).

Secondly, Muslims do not practice circiumcision because of empirical benefits; they practice it because GOD ordained it, as He has many other Islamic practices:
http://www.islamicboard.com/430256-post28.html
We are to follow the practices ordained by God and live according to that code of life. Jews have the same practice:
http://www1.epinions.com/content_1497145476

:w:

lolwatever
09-03-2006, 02:14 AM
jazak bro :)

F.Y.
09-03-2006, 05:05 AM
I do believe Abraham (pbuh) was circumcised - he was the first person to commence the whole thing, on the order of God. Hence the followers of his message (who were the other Prophets who followed, like Moses etc) also practised circumcision. That is why Jews do it too. I do believe circumsion is mentioned in the Bible though I am not sure what context it is mentioned under. So it is a Muslim practise too.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.