/* */

PDA

View Full Version : No Women Allowed in the Mosque

doodlebug
09-02-2006, 12:56 AM
I posted this on another board but what the heck I'd like to hear from lots of people on this one.

I was told by someone in my area who I am meeting tomorrow to talk about Islam that about 50% of the mosques in my area do not allow women. Now technically they do not say it this way they just say, "there is no room for women here". :rollseyes

Basically I was told it is a cultural thing and is most common in the more Pakistani populated mosques (and some other culture that I cant' remember) but that the other cultures "have no problem with it".

Whaddup with that??

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
lolwatever
09-02-2006, 12:58 AM
heya DB

hehe well culture is v different to Islam that's soemthing ull learn as u go along

there's another thread around here called 'Does your masjid' or soemthing like that... similar to this

in prophets time women where at the masjid.. so regardless of culture that won't change.

tc all the best

doodlebug
09-02-2006, 01:00 AM
and a masjid would beeeeeeeeee.......................

:?

lolwatever
09-02-2006, 01:00 AM
a place that's not suppose 2b hijacked by flipping culture coconuts...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
doodlebug
09-02-2006, 01:03 AM
rofl

I must be overtired 'cause I just pictured two muslim men with beards tossing coconuts around.

;D

Woodrow
09-02-2006, 01:03 AM
I believe that sometimes happens, as a woman is not obligated to go to the Masjid as a male is. There are some specific times of the month when a female is fobidden to attend the Masjid, but for the most part a female should not be forbidden if she chooses to go.

But, it some areas especialy those with a small Muslim population a small Masjid may not be able to afford the seperate areas for men and women to do wadu. (Bathing of the hands, feet and head). That would be the reason a woman would be forbidden, because she would be unable to do wadu.

doodlebug
09-02-2006, 01:05 AM
well i guess that makes sense, though in my humble opinion they should have thought about that before declaring the place a mosque in the first place.

but what do i know.

;)

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-02-2006, 01:15 AM
Yea....or maybe have separate timings for them to go in the mosque..i dunno.

doodlebug
09-02-2006, 01:17 AM
Who's in charge of making these mosques anyhow? (somehow I don't think it's the women ;) )

QuranStudy
09-02-2006, 01:18 AM
Who's in charge of making these mosques anyhow? (somehow I don't think it's the women
Depends on who pays for it.

Woodrow
09-02-2006, 02:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by doodlebug
Who's in charge of making these mosques anyhow? (somehow I don't think it's the women ;) )
The difference between Islam and other religions is we do not have an ordained clergy. Any one of us can build a Mosque if we have the ability or can raise the funds. It is not all that uncommon for a person to turn his house into a Mosque. Each Mosque is a seperate entity and it is simple a place where Muslim can worship as a part of the community. The building is no essential. It is permissable to say the prayers as a community anyplace there is room. However some essential are required. There needs to be a place to do wadu and the Mosque must be kept clean.

lolwatever
09-02-2006, 02:11 AM
^ also, one other thign that Islam is unique in... is that the whole earth is a masjid for us :) we can pray anywhere we want as long as the place is clean..

the hadith clearly says that "i was given 3 thigns that no other prophet was given.... (one of which)... the earth was made a masjid for me"

so if a group decdie to pray together int he park, they are equally rewarded as if they prayed in any other masjid :)

doodlebug
09-02-2006, 02:14 AM
But you are reworded more for praying in a group than alone at home right?

lolwatever
09-02-2006, 02:15 AM
yep 27 times more (or 28) i cant remember. but yepp :)

but the group doesnt hav to pray in a masjid, if u pray in a group at home or in a park or anywehre else, same reward.

howeverrrr... if able, we must pray at a masjid because of the unity and togetherness and social atmosphere taht is created by everyone catching up with each other 5 times a day atleast at one common location.

but if you're not able.. then yeh all is good :)

doodlebug
09-02-2006, 02:19 AM
my fiance is dying to bring me to his mosque in Cairo for the 4:30am (or whatever it is at sunrise) prayer to show me the "unity" at that wonderful hour! lol

lolwatever
09-02-2006, 02:22 AM
mm there's a prophecy that when Muslims go to their morning prayer in the numbers they do at friday prayer, that's the beginning of the end of their dark ages.

^^ PLEASE IGNORE, READ BELOW, I'M WRONGGGG :exhausted

- Qatada -
09-02-2006, 01:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by lolwatever
mm there's a prophecy that when Muslims go to their morning prayer in the numbers they do at friday prayer, that's the beginning of the end of their dark ages.

:salamext:

Brother, i heard in an awlaki lecture that this isn't the case. He said that it was said by a jewish rabbi or something, plus - we shouldn't actually believe in something which may not necessarily be authentic anyway.

Allaah Almighty knows best.

Peace.

afriend
09-02-2006, 01:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by doodlebug
I posted this on another board but what the heck I'd like to hear from lots of people on this one.

I was told by someone in my area who I am meeting tomorrow to talk about Islam that about 50% of the mosques in my area do not allow women. Now technically they do not say it this way they just say, "there is no room for women here". :rollseyes

Basically I was told it is a cultural thing and is most common in the more Pakistani populated mosques (and some other culture that I cant' remember) but that the other cultures "have no problem with it".

Whaddup with that??
tell me about it....Not Pakistani....Asian in general :uhwhat....Bangladeshis a LOT! But the only mosque that is weary of women, and offer women great services is I know is East London Mosque :coolious: that mosque is an example for all the other mosques who don't do enough to encourage women....sisters-Mothers of Islam :) They should be well educated in the deen as well as in life, respect to all of you sisters out there. Not the gansta typa respec' but truely, I give you all every last ounce of respect that I have :)

syilla
09-02-2006, 01:47 PM
:sl:

there is a masjid right infront of my house...and women is allowed.

But it is just a small masjid...

Masjid is good place to get the ummah united...even for the women...

lolwatever
09-02-2006, 08:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah
:salamext:

Brother, i heard in an awlaki lecture that this isn't the case. He said that it was said by a jewish rabbi or something, plus - we shouldn't actually believe in something which may not necessarily be authentic anyway.

Allaah Almighty knows best.

Peace.
oh ok my apologies then :embarrass i was told it by a close friend so i thought it would be reliable... lol next time i should be more pedantic hehe

tc salamz

S_87
09-02-2006, 08:42 PM
:sl:

it frustrates me too. its so so so horrible. actually women ARE allowed in the masjids in my area. thats non muslim women coming to visit are allowed. just not muslim women to worship. dont ask me why.

chacha_jalebi
09-02-2006, 09:03 PM
woman are allowed to go to the mosque,

RasoolAllah (sal Allah Hu aley hi wassallam) said

"If one of your women seek permission to go to the Mosque, then do not forbid her" [bukhari & muslim & nisaai]

so so women are allowed to go to the mosque because RasoolAllah (sal Allah hu aley hi wasallam) has said so, as it says in surah al ahzab v 36

"It is not for a believer, man or woman, when Allâh and His Messenger have decreed a matter that they should have any option in their decision. And whoever disobeys Allâh and His Messenger, he has indeed strayed in a plain error"
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.