/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Should Muslims fast on the day Jews fast??

QuranStudy
09-02-2006, 04:11 PM
I was reading the Hadeeth where the Prophet met some Jews who were fasting on the day of Ashura (the day Allah saved Bani Israel and Moses fasted on this day). After hearing this, Muhammad (pbuh) fasted along with the Jews and he recommended his Muslim companions to do the same. In 3.223, Muhammad (pbuh) recommended Muslims to fast on this day?

Am I misinterpreting this? Are Muslims supposed to fast on the day of Ashura?

Thanks.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ManchesterFolk
09-02-2006, 05:56 PM
Jews fast a little bit different than Muslims I learned in lavis thread. Jews litterally have no water or food for 24 hours while fasting one some days through the year.

جوري
09-02-2006, 06:46 PM
aren't christians supposed to fast too? I know Jesus recommended it... and people I know observe what they call "lent" they however restrict certain food groups but are still able to eat and drink...... I haven't met any Americans that do that... just Greeks and Egyptian copts... any reason for the lack of observance?

- Qatada -
09-02-2006, 06:59 PM
Asalaamu 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakaatuh.

A blessed Ashura - 10th Muharram 1426

Significance of fasting on the Day of Ashura’ i.e. the 10th day of Muharram, and the day before.

It is reported in the Sahih of Imam Bukhari and other authentic collections of Hadith that the Prophet -peace be upon him- and the Sahabah used to fast on the 10th day of Muharram while they were in Makkah (before the Hijrah).
It was a day on which people of Makkah used to change the covering (Kiswah or Ghilaf) of the Ka’bah. The Quraish also used to fast on this day. (al-Bukhari, Hadith 1489 and 1760). After the Hijrah when the Prophet -peace be upon him- came to Madinah, he found that the Jews of Madinah also used to observe this day with fasting. The Prophet asked them the reason of their fasting on this day.

They said, “This is a blessed day. On this day Allah saved the Children of Israel from their enemy (in Egypt) and so Prophet Moses fasted on this day giving thanks to Allah.” The Prophet -peace be upon him- said, “'I have a nearer claim to Moses than you have'.” He fasted on that day and commanded Muslims to fast on this day. (al-Bukhari, Hadith 1865). In another report it is mentioned that Jews of Madinah used to celebrate this day as an Eid. The Prophet -peace be upon him- told the Sahabah to fast instead. (al-Bukhari, Hadith 1866).

Some say that, in order to distinguish it from the Jewish fast, Mohammed (pbuh) said, "Fast on the ninth and the tenth"; according to others, "Fast on Ashura, but fast also on the day before and the day after." Another tradition is that he did not want it celebrated in as joyous a manner as did the Jews, who were accustomed to deck out their wives with their finest jewelry and dresses.

But there were those who, according to the commentators to the Quran (sura ii. 46), connected the original celebration of Ashura with Noah, who was said to have landed on Mt. Judi on the tenth of Muharram and, out of thankfulness, to have fasted on that day (Baidawi, Comm. on Koran, i. 435; Zamahshari, "Al-Kashshaf," i. 614). Still others, according to traditions gathered by Al-Biruni, said that on this day God took compassion on Adam; Jesus was born; Moses was saved from Pharaoh, and Abraham from the fire of Nebuchadnezzar; Jacob regained his eyesight; Joseph was drawn out of the ditch; Solomon was invested with the royal power; the punishment was taken away from the people of Jonah; Job was freed from his plagues; the prayer of Zacharias was granted, and John was born to him (Al-Biruni, "Al-Athar al-Bahiyyah," ed. Sachau, p. 326).

There is a great reward in the ‘Ashura’ fast. There are many Ahadith that mention its blessings and virtues. It is good to fast on this day, although it is not obligatory.

To summarize we can say:

Ashura, (derived from hebrew word 'asor' meaning 'tenth' of Muharram) is a special day due to it's religious/islamic historical significance that makes it a blessed day.

‘Ashura’ fasting was an ancient tradition in Makkah.

It was also found among the Jews of Madinah.

First the Prophet commanded the Sahabah to fast on this day
Later when Ramadan fasts became obligatory, ‘Ashura fast was made optional.

Now it is optional but it is recommended to fast on the 9th and 10th days of Muharram.

source: http://hedayah.blogspot.com/2005/02/...1426-19th.html

Also check these links insha'Allaah:
http://www.islamchannel.tv/IslamicMonths.aspx

http://www.bahagia.btinternet.co.uk/hijri.html

Allaah Almighty knows best.

Peace.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
09-02-2006, 07:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah

But there were those who, according to the commentators to the Quran (sura ii. 46), connected the original celebration of Ashura with Noah, who was said to have landed on Mt. Judi on the tenth of Muharram and, out of thankfulness,Peace.
Prophet Mohammed (PBUH) stated that Noah landed on Mount Geuidi or guoudi or judi as you have stated... I am not sure about the proper spelling... actually interestingly if you read marco polo's travels he speaks of a ship on that mountain... and it would explain why all the searches on mount Ararat have turned up futile... this is so amazing... I am so glad you posted this... it was one of the things I was very much interested in before.... I know it doesn't relate much to the post but glad to see it nonetheless
:) :w:

north_malaysian
09-03-2006, 02:26 AM
Ashura is Passover (according to Muslim calendar).

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-03-2006, 02:54 AM
Hmm..i actually knew u could fast on that day.

Curious girl2
09-03-2006, 09:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
aren't christians supposed to fast too? I know Jesus recommended it... and people I know observe what they call "lent" they however restrict certain food groups but are still able to eat and drink...... I haven't met any Americans that do that... just Greeks and Egyptian copts... any reason for the lack of observance?

Lent isnt actually a fast in the same sense of an Islamic fast. Christian's that observe Lent nowadays (and not all do completely, but most will observe some parts of it) use it as a time of reflection, thought, and prayer. A few people fast for the whole of Lent, (though obviously not 24/7!) my Dad used to observe it partially. It is more likely these days that a certain food will not be consumed or even to stop doing a certain activity that they enjoy. One of the things my Dad did was to not drive his car, he would walk everywhere.

But basically it is to represent the deprivation that Jesus suffered whilst in the wilderness for 40 days and 40 nights. Its like a test of self dicipline, to represent how Jesus was tempted by Satan. It seems to be a symbolic thing these days.

HTH
Peace
CG

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.