/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the qur'an

Abdul Fattah
06-09-2005, 07:22 PM
Selam aleykum

I read somewhere that the sura's were'nt told to the prophet (peace be upon him) chronologicaly, wel at least not in the numbering we use now. So I started wondering, why are the sura's compiled in the way they are, and by whom? Or maybe more important why? I've been looking around a while, but haven't found anything regarding this so far.

A second question I have is regarding the title's of the sura's. I read a hadith the other day, concerning the last three sura's of the quran and they were referred to as: Qoel hoewallaahoe ahad (= the first sentence of sura 112) and Moe’auwidzatain (aperently refering to 113 and 114).
This has me wondering, are the title's of the sura's added later on?

I hope These questions do not seem disrespectfull, if they do, know that it's out of ignorance rather then arrogance.
:-[

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ibn Syed
06-09-2005, 07:27 PM
Good q's brother! :) The name of the surah comes from a word that stands out more than other ones and the titles were given later if I'm not mistaken.
:w:

kadafi
06-10-2005, 09:42 AM
:sl:

Actually, the chronological order of the Qur'an was divinely inspired and instructed by the Prophet (Peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) via Jibreal (Gabriel).

Here is an typed up version from a brother:

Regarding the order (sequence) of the Suwar of the Holy Qur'an in the order they appear is called Tarteeb. As we have explained above, the last ayah to be sent down was in Suratul Baqara 281 and the first being Suratul Alaq 1-7. Therefore we see that the Nazool of Holy Qur’an occurred in a different order than the order we see in the Holy Qur’an because we see the chronological order is different from the present order we find in the Holy Qur’an now. We see that Al Fatiha is the first and An Nas is the last. Therefore we know that the Tarteeb or order in which the Nazool took place is called Nazool It Tarteeb, and the order in which it appears in the present form is called Waqoofee which means to acquaint.

Allahu ta ‘ala informed the Holy Last Messenger Sall Allahu alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallim through Hadhrat Jibreel Alaihi salaam to place some ayaah in some particular order according to their subject matter. Thus the Holy Last Messenger Sall Allahu alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallim on receiving such instructions would instruct the Khatun (Scriber of Wahy) to write in that prescribed order. In addition, a large number of the Holy Companions of the Holy Las Messenger Sall Allahu alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallim would memorize the Holy Qur’an or part of the Holy Qur’an. Whenever the Holy Last Messenger Sall Allahu alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallim would inform them of the new Nazool they would memorize that portion of Holy Qur’an. In addition they would memorize in the order told them by the Holy Last Messenger Sall Allahu alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallim. In the famous book of Hadith “ Al Jami’us Sahih” of Al Imam Muhammad ibn Isa at Tirmidhi (Rahmatullah alaih) there is a tradition quoted by Sayyidinaa Uthman Rathiallahu ta ‘ala anh who said whenever the Nazool of any ayah took place upon the Holy Last Messenger Sall Allahu alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallim he would call the Scriber of Wahy and would tell them to include that ayah in such and such Sura, at such and such place.

http://www.ummah.net/Al_adaab/Quran_..._ul_quran.html

Danish
06-10-2005, 10:08 AM
the last ayah to be sent down was in Suratul Baqara 281
so verse 3 in al maeeda "al yoma akmaltu lakum denakum wa atmamtoo nemate radeto lakum ul islama dena", tranlsation "And this day we have perfected your deen, and chose Islam as your religion" (from top of my heaD), isnt the last ayat then?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
kadafi
06-10-2005, 07:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Danish

so verse 3 in al maeeda "al yoma akmaltu lakum denakum wa atmamtoo nemate radeto lakum ul islama dena", tranlsation "And this day we have perfected your deen, and chose Islam as your religion" (from top of my heaD), isnt the last ayat then?

No akhee, the last ayah revealed was ayat 281 of Surah Baqara.

An-Nasa'i recorded that Ibn `Abbas said, "The last Ayah to be revealed from the Qur'an was, (And have Taqwa for the Day when you shall be brought back to Allah. Then every person shall be paid what he earned, and they shall not be dealt with unjustly.'')

Ibn Abi Hatim reported the same on the authority of Saeed Ibn Jubair and said that the Prophet (Peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) died nine nights after the revelation of this verse.

The completion of the religion came before the Taqwa ayah. Also one of the last verses to be revealed include the riba verse.

Scholars differ which one was last revealed but the strongest evidence lies in the taqwa verse.

Ansar Al-'Adl
06-10-2005, 08:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by steve
A second question I have is regarding the title's of the sura's.
The titles are not based on the content or theme of the surahs. Theu are the names commonly used to refer to the surahs, and theyr are often named by a word that stands out in the Surah, eg. Az-Zukhruf or Al-Baqarah

Often Surahs may have more than one name/title.

Abdul Fattah
06-11-2005, 12:59 AM
Thanks guy's, my hunger for knowledge is somewhat satisfied :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.