/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How are you dealing with it?

جوري
09-03-2006, 03:11 AM
I can't turn on my TV to the news without hearing something utterly disgusting and deragatory about Muslims... how are the Muslims and non muslims on board dealing with it?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muslim Knight
09-03-2006, 03:54 AM
I don't watch TV when there's internet. I can actually choose what I want to read or see.

dougmusr
09-03-2006, 03:59 AM
I find TV pretty disgusting. I cringe when religion is discussed on TV because they haven't a clue what they are talking about, and the questions are designed to discredit any religious sources. In some sense an attack on one religious person is an attack on all religious people because in the mind of the unreligious there is no difference.

جوري
09-03-2006, 04:01 AM
Thank you both :smile:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
glo
09-03-2006, 01:00 PM
I don't have a TV - so I get my news from the internet, paper or radio.

To be honest, I rarely come across anything I find derogatory or unkind towards Muslims.
That can mean one of two things:
  • I am fairly selective with which news I choose in the first place
  • I am totally insensitive to such matters

(I hope it's the first, not the latter! :giggling: )

Generally, if I come across negative news, I try to read it (as long as I don't find it too upsetting!) - because I think it is important to at least try to understand other people's perspective.
If it's really too bad, I just switch off/over or turn the page!

Edited to add:

When I read or hear things I find offensive towards a group I consider myself part of (be it women, Christians, theists, Europeans ...), I find it helpful to search my heart why exactly I find myself reacting so defensively?
Could it be that there is a grain of truth in what I am reading/hearing?
Could it be that people have a reason to make the statements they make?
Could it be that I need to think what I can do to change the situation - no matter in how small a way?
Could it be that I need to change my own attitude?

I usually find it makes me very uncomfortable :X - but I try to, nonetheless.

Peace

Trumble
09-03-2006, 05:46 PM
I don't watch TV either, other than the odd footy match. I only own one to watch DVDs.

Most of the useful stuff such as news, weather etc, or even tips on your favourite hobby, you can access far quicker on the internet.

QuranStudy
09-03-2006, 07:11 PM
I chose option 6. I dont really care about politics. The politicians can rot in their own mistakes. None of my business :)

Fishman
09-03-2006, 07:17 PM
:sl:
I get my news from the web mostly. Whenever I read the paper I just find some anti-Muslim stuff, or stuff about terrorism. I'm sick of terrorists, I'm sick of people who falsely accuse people of being terrorists, and I'm sick of those terrorists who sit in their fancy marble houses all day and tell other people to blow innocent people up. I'm sick of the news.
:w:

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-03-2006, 07:49 PM
Yea ive been gettin realli ticked watchin the news. All u hear is bad stuff about Muslims or Islam. I can get disturbed when I get mad easily. So i avoid it...lol

QuranStudy
09-03-2006, 07:49 PM
I find as a challenge from Allah for true believers.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-03-2006, 07:51 PM
Yea but I get angry quite easy...im trying to change that. Its basically testing me when i watch it. I just wonder why people dont find out for themselves. Some people claim to be smart, but in reality they're stupid..!

Ghazi
09-03-2006, 07:55 PM

I hate it when stupid news reporters who probably don't even know the 5 pillers are calling people extreme I mean how on earth do they no the diffrence

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-03-2006, 07:58 PM
When something goes against the standards of the West or doesn't fit their way of life, its automatically called extremism. That shows how lost someone is.

جوري
09-03-2006, 07:59 PM
they don't.... but believe it or not it doesn't just span politics... even in health news they give you the wrong info... then don't bother make corrections... it is mostly subjective views... I have noticed it is less independant with an agenda.... people remind me of rabid animals who were let out of their cages... still I am interesed in how people perceive and react to it...

جوري
09-03-2006, 08:02 PM
the western world is about freedom... freedom of religion and thoughts anc choice... so to say when it doesn't fit with their ideal, disturbs me somewhat... as it negates the very thing they wish to prescribe others... also the other day here in the states they took a man in for watching al-manar news.... does that not go against everything in the constituion? I mean they have devil worshippers and they are ok with that as freedom of choice, religion or speech... so why the double standard?... anyhow I promised I'd keep this neutral... I still wish to learn your views and get a sense of how you deal with it... thanks to all participants...

snakelegs
09-03-2006, 08:22 PM
i couldn't answer because i don't have a TV. every few years when i stay in a motel, i will check out TV news and am always horrified at what i see that passes for news. it seems like each time i check it out, it has gotten even worse than it was the last time i watched it.
i think it is a mistake to expect TV to give you fair news because of the very purpose/structure of television - to deliver an audience to its corporate sponsors. also the very nature and format of TV precludes any in depth coverage or analysis of anything.
i get my news from non-commercial, listener sponsored radio (not NPR) and the internet.
when i find the news gets me depressed, scared or angry i take a complete break from it - sometimes for weeks at a time because i think there is more than enough sadness, fear and anger in the world already.

جوري
09-03-2006, 08:26 PM
snakelegs I always enjoy your replies... you are very wise..:smile:

afriend
09-03-2006, 08:28 PM
I'm extremely put off by today's boring media :uhwhat....So much bias and cra*....When I hear something on TV, I research it everywhere....

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-03-2006, 08:29 PM
Yea same here...
But everything snake said is true..!

MinAhlilHadeeth
09-03-2006, 09:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
I get my news from the web mostly. Whenever I read the paper I just find some anti-Muslim stuff, or stuff about terrorism. I'm sick of terrorists, I'm sick of people who falsely accuse people of being terrorists, and I'm sick of those terrorists who sit in their fancy marble houses all day and tell other people to blow innocent people up. I'm sick of the news.
I agree with you. I don't watch TV for other reasons aswell.

:wasalamex

Zone Maker
09-04-2006, 08:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
even in health news they give you the wrong info...
Now that you mention this……
Hmmmm….^o)

جوري
09-04-2006, 08:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Skakeen
Now that you mention this……
Hmmmm….^o)
scary ha? can't tell you how many 60 minute programs.. or others have run a particular "informative" program which was extrmely misleading and very faulty... but they don't care... they present it in a specific way that is very inflammatory and demeaning... and claim to give you bits that are news worthy (fair and balanced) when it is anything but... you should always consult with an expert on the matter... sort of like when you have a religious question... you can go to your peers or to a scholar.... best to get a professional opinion than third party views which try to steer you one way or the other....:grumbling

Skillganon
09-04-2006, 09:04 PM
I really try not to watch to much T.V or news. I do however read articles from Noam Chomsky, and watch "Democracy Now" sometimes.

KAding
09-06-2006, 07:43 PM
the western world is about freedom... freedom of religion and thoughts anc choice... so to say when it doesn't fit with their ideal, disturbs me somewhat... as it negates the very thing they wish to prescribe others... also the other day here in the states they took a man in for watching al-manar news.... does that not go against everything in the constituion?
Do you have a link to that? I'm really curious. I just can't imagine that is why he would be arrested.

جوري
09-06-2006, 09:31 PM
you can go to fox news... or upn nine... this is local news... that was the honest truth to God... he was arrested for watching Al-Manar which bush declared a terrorist TV station back in March... this is local NY news.. the man lives in staten Island and sells cable...
edit ... here found it for you... on a Jewish website.... perhaps that would loan it more credence?
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...295714,00.html

glo
09-06-2006, 09:38 PM
you can go to fox news... or upn nine... this is local news... that was the honest truth to God... he was arrested for watching Al-Manar which bush declared a terrorist TV station back in March... this is local NY news.. the man lives in staten Island and sells cable...
I found this:
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...295714,00.html
Javed Iqbal, 42, was arrested on Wednesday on allegations that his Brooklyn-based company HDTV Ltd. was providing New York-area satellite customers with the Hizbullah-operated channel, federal prosecutors said in a statement on Thursday.
http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/news.aspx?id=17324
Attorneys say the case of Javed Iqbal, who was arrested Aug. 23 on conspiracy charges, is unusual because the charges stem from the distribution of news.

U.S. Attorney Michael Garcia alleges that Iqbal, a 42-year-old Pakistani from Staten Island, conspired to violate the International Emergency Economic Powers Act, a law that bars direct financial aid to terrorist groups and the sales of products or services that could help such groups.
http://www.naharnet.com/domino/tn/Ne...E?OpenDocument
Lebanon's information minister criticized the arrest of a businessman in New York on charges of providing satellite broadcasts of Hizbullah's Al-Manar television to New York-area customers.
"As a Lebanese citizen first, and as an official in the Lebanese government and information minister of Lebanon, I find this to be unacceptable," Ghazi Aridi told reporters in Beirut Saturday.
Peace.

جوري
09-06-2006, 09:43 PM
Thank you... yes I had edited my post as I too found it... in the most unlikely places.... I found it absured too... I am really glad people think it is strange as well... as the folk they interviewd were "shocked, and fearful for their lives" from this man's audacity to watch al manar station... got to love this new plethora of legislative changes... pretty soon everyone will lose their rights... I wonder if the rest of America sees it too not just the Muslims? anyhow I don't want this to derail into politics... I purposly don't visit the world affair section to avoid the headache and heartache.....
peace and thanks again

glo
09-06-2006, 09:46 PM
Thank you... yes I had edited my post as I too found it... in the most unlikely places.... I found it absured too... I am really glad people think it is strange as well... as the folk they interviewd were "shocked, and fearful for their lives" from this man's audacity to watch al manar station... got to love this new plethora of legislative changes... pretty soon everyone will lose their rights... I wonder if the rest of America sees it too not just the Muslims? anyhow I don't want this to derail into politics... I purposly don't visit the world affair section to avoid the headache and heartache.....
peace and thanks again
To be honest, I have never had the opportunity to watch Al-Manar television. So I couldn't really comment on how justified or unjustified the charges are; and whether distributing the channel does constitute a 'violation of the International Emergency Economic Powers Act' :?

I understand about your reluctance in visiting the world affairs section ... :D
Is that why you put this into comparative religion???

peace.

جوري
09-06-2006, 10:07 PM
I wanted to keep it neutral yes... and world affairs gives me subjective views I am not interested in... I like polls in general as they tend to remain anonymous... and you can get a feel for what people are thinking without drowning in arguments...I always liked the saying opinions are like A$$holes... everyone has one... there is no reason to actually be one.... I am at a loss as to why people end up in heated arduments with persons they have never met and are unlikely to meet... and if they do chances are they wouldn't introduce themselves to one another as Hi I am muslim... hello I am the anti-Muslim... the net afford people anonymity and many misuse it Unfortunately....... Now as for whether it is wrong or right... I believe the current admin is using the constitution like a roll of toilet paper ... restricting what people can watch strictly goes against a person's inalienable rights... you have people who can worship the devil... but you can't have people watch the TV station of their choice?

KAding
09-10-2006, 11:49 AM
I believe the current admin is using the constitution like a roll of toilet paper ... restricting what people can watch strictly goes against a person's inalienable rights... you have people who can worship the devil... but you can't have people watch the TV station of their choice?
Well, you are free to worship Hezbollah in the US, just like you may worship the devil. The problem is in acting on it, you may not do harm in name of the devil, nor may you support organizations that are considered illegal in the US.

AHMED_GUREY
09-10-2006, 12:08 PM
i watch t.v but it doesn't matter anymore i've been bombarded with so much nonsense about islam that my mind has developed it's own censoring system

islamist's ---> *bleep*

fundamentalists ---->*bleep*

hijaab -----> *bleep*

terrorists -----> *bleep* *bleep* *bleep* *bleeeeeeeeeeeeep*

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-10-2006, 06:35 PM
LOL, yea...my mind wants to block it out...and i get aggravated easily now. I still watch hoping to hear something "good."

Fishman
09-10-2006, 07:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AHMED_GUREY
i watch t.v but it doesn't matter anymore i've been bombarded with so much nonsense about islam that my mind has developed it's own censoring system

islamist's ---> *bleep*

fundamentalists ---->*bleep*

hijaab -----> *bleep*

terrorists -----> *bleep* *bleep* *bleep* *bleeeeeeeeeeeeep*
I don't watch enough TV for that to happen, unfortunately.

Have you noticed that terrorists (and groups that the Anglosphere just doesn't like, such as Hesbollah) are no longer called fundimentalists, but extremists?

Ghazi
09-10-2006, 07:57 PM

Ermm shouldn't the US spend so much effort trying to get rid of the Columbian cartel who supply heroin world-wide etc.

aamirsaab
09-10-2006, 08:26 PM
I am completely and utterly unphased towards the media's views on muslims - it has no affect on me now. They can continue reporting their Biased BS and I will continue to turn the telly off.

You can't control me :D

snakelegs
09-10-2006, 09:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
I am completely and utterly unphased towards the media's views on muslims - it has no affect on me now. They can continue reporting their Biased BS and I will continue to turn the telly off.

You can't control me :D
:bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

Muezzin
09-10-2006, 09:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
I don't watch enough TV for that to happen, unfortunately.

Have you noticed that terrorists (and groups that the Anglosphere just doesn't like, such as Hesbollah) are no longer called fundimentalists, but extremists?
The word 'extremist' is actually more accurate for the meaning they're trying to convey. The word 'fundamentalist' comes from the word 'fundamental'. In a religious context, a fundamentalist is someone who sticks to the core beliefs of their religion. There's no shame in this. The fundamentals of Islam for example state that Muslims must adhere to the Five Pillars.

Nowhere is it stated in the fundamental teachings of Islam that Muslims must kill civilians for the sake of the Ummah, and yet the media uses the word 'fundamentalist' to describe people who do so. It's just innacurate - that goes for when the media calls terrorists from the Hindu or Buddhist faiths fundamentalists too. Those two religions teach peace. At least the word 'extremist' makes more sense - if you take a religion to an extreme, deviating from the central point, you can become misguided and warp the religion to fit your own cause.

جوري
09-10-2006, 09:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
Well, you are free to worship Hezbollah in the US, just like you may worship the devil. The problem is in acting on it, you may not do harm in name of the devil, nor may you support organizations that are considered illegal in the US.
Worship Hezballah? I don't understand what that means? Put yourself in the shoes of German resistance. Visualize going underground and enlisting with the White Rose Society. See how many Jews you can pluck from the gas chambers. Then realize we face similar. Bush's campaign is to villainize Muslims, Democrats, Latino leaders such as Hugo Chavez, and anyone else that crosses him. It's an effort to gain more power and maintain the one-party state, thus immunizing himself against certain impeachment should Democrats regain control.

Of course it's not as bad as Nazi Germany yet. But the spirit is the same. That spirit that says, "We are the super race, God's chosen people. Therefore, everyone else is beneath us and we can do to them as we will. God is on our side because we're the nation that sits on a hill above all the rest, a city of lights that spreads freedom and righteousness to the four corners of the globe."
If you don't see anything wrong with what is going on... it is your prerogative... but this change won't affect Muslims alone... slowely americans are giving up their rights... pretty soon the Gestapo will be at each door....

Aznan
09-14-2006, 11:09 AM
Hmm... Its disheartening, the misrepresentation of ISlam on the western media. They have long formed their views on Islam, each piece of news tend to misrepresent ISlam. Either with their lack of thorough research or outright discrimination. The onus is on us to research the source whether the information is biased/ false/ one-sided.

Salah ad-din
10-04-2006, 07:40 AM
I do not watch tv. The Shaytan box is useless.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.