/* */

PDA

View Full Version : how to pray

doodlebug
09-04-2006, 01:33 AM
I have many questions regarding how to say the five prayers.

I have spent most of this week trying to learn and I think I'm "almost there".

But

1) what is the difference between a rika and a fard?:?

2) When it says to recite a "meduim size" Sura of the Qu'ran and a long Sura in Fajr...................what's a sura...is it like the whole chapter or just one of the verses? Does it have to be said in Arabic or can this part be said in English or whatever your native tongue is?:?

3) When it say the first Raqa is finished (in my three manuals that I downloaded), do you then say Allahu Akbar or do you wait until you do the second Raqa or when you've done whatever the fard thing is?:?

4) When you do the second Raqa, do you begin all the steps over again including saying an additional sura or do you skip the whole sura thing or do you say the same sura over again?

again...what is a fard?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ktl1509
09-04-2006, 02:01 AM
Assalamu alaikum
Here you go check out this site:
http://muslimconverts.com/prayer/how-to-pray-intro.htm

May Allah Guide you insha Allah

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-04-2006, 02:09 AM
I see ur learning salah. Mashallah thats great. May Allah guide u always :)

doodlebug
09-04-2006, 02:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ktl1509
Assalamu alaikum
Here you go check out this site:
http://muslimconverts.com/prayer/how-to-pray-intro.htm

May Allah Guide you insha Allah
Thank you!! That has to be THE best guide so far and I have printed out a total of 5 of them! I"m going to trash the rest and use this one!:D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
doodlebug
09-04-2006, 02:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tayyaba
I see ur learning salah. Mashallah thats great. May Allah guide u always :)
I honestly think I am one day away from saying shahadah (sp?)

:D

doodlebug
09-04-2006, 02:24 AM
When you perform wudu, do you use soap?:?

Muhammad
09-04-2006, 02:40 PM
:sl:

No, you only need to use water.

Have the above questions been answered for you, btw?

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-04-2006, 03:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by doodlebug
I honestly think I am one day away from saying shahadah (sp?)

:D
Mashallah! cant wait for that. Im happy for u :)

rubiesand
09-04-2006, 06:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by doodlebug
When you perform wudu, do you use soap?
Hi Doodlebug,

I hope you will enjoy success in your learing salah. It's best not to use soap when doing wudu, as to use soap would dry your skin out too much. Water alone is quite sufficient for the purpose.

'Fard' means something that is obligatory.

doodlebug
09-04-2006, 08:50 PM
Speaking of drying skin out......my hands are so dry after doing wudu!!! Is it permissable to use a non-fragrant handcream for my hands and feet so they don't feel so dry before I pray?

- Qatada -
09-04-2006, 08:54 PM
Asalaamu 'alykum warahmatulaahi wabarakaatuh.

Does the cream invalidate wudoo’ or not?

Question:

Does the cream which people use on their hands and face invalidate wudoo’ or not?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

For a woman to use cream on her face does not break wudoo’, neither does it break one’s fast. Similarly, using lipstick does not break one’s wudoo’ or one’s fast, but when one is fasting, if these cosmetics have any flavour they should not be used in any way that may lead to the flavour reaching the throat.

Majmoo’ Fataawa Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, vol. 11, p. 201.

source:
http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ref...=eng&txt=cream

QuranStudy
09-04-2006, 09:00 PM
Since when did doodlebug convert?

~Stranger~
09-04-2006, 09:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by rubiesand
Hi Doodlebug,

I hope you will enjoy success in your learing salah. It's best not to use soap when doing wudu, as to use soap would dry your skin out too much. Water alone is quite sufficient for the purpose.

'Fard' means something that is obligatory.
but i always wash my hands with soap when doing wudu', is that bad? :?

doodlebug
09-04-2006, 09:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by QuranStudy
Since when did doodlebug convert?
:giggling:

QuranStudy
09-04-2006, 09:03 PM
Anyways, this site does any excellent job on teaching prayer for beginers. It has a flash video so show the exact postures. Hope it helps:

http://www.sparklywater.com/sparklywater/downloads.html

- Qatada -
09-04-2006, 09:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sister Salam
but i always wash my hands with soap when doing wudu', is that bad? :?

Washing with soap when doing Wudoo’, and changing a baby’s diaper

Question:

I am a new Muslim and have a question about performing Wudu. Do you need to use soap when performing Wudu, specifically washing the face, hands (to the elbows) and feet. All of the sources I have read never say to use soap, but use the word "wash".
Also, does changing a baby's diaper invalidate wudu?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

1. We would like to congratulate you and offer praise to Allaah for the blessings He has bestowed upon you by guiding you to the Straight Path. We ask Him to help us and you to be steadfast in adhering to this religion.

2. You do not have to use soap at all when doing wudoo’. The word “wash” which you have read in the books you refer to does not mean using soap or any other kind of cleanser.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah preserve him) said:

Washing the hands and face with soap when doing wudoo’ is not prescribed in sharee’ah. On the contrary, it is a kind of obstinate and excessive zeal. It was reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Those who are obstinate and excessively zealous are doomed.” He said it three times.

If there is some kind of dirt on the hands that can only be removed by using soap or some other cleanser, there is nothing wrong with using it in this case, but under ordinary circumstances, using soap when doing wudoo’ is a kind of excessive zeal and bid’ah (innovation), so it should not be used. (Fataawaa Islamiyyah, 1/223)

3. With regard to changing a baby’s diaper, if you mean the act of changing itself, this does not affect the validity of one's wudoo’.

If you mean that it involves touching something that is naajis (impure, i.e. the baby’s urine and stools), this does not affect your wudoo’ either, because there is no connection between touching something naajis and the validity of one’s wudoo’. It has been reported that there is scholarly consensus on this point, as stated in the book Al-Awsat by Ibn al-Mundhir (1/203). All one has to do is wash one's hands to get rid of any naajis material.

If you mean that it involves touching the child’s private parts, whether the child is a boy or a girl, in the case of a child under the age of two years, the rulings on ‘awrah (that which is to be covered) do not apply, as the scholars have stated, so if you touch them, this does not affect your wudoo’. And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

source: http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ref...n=eng&txt=soap

doodlebug
09-04-2006, 11:19 PM
I've read so many things that I think everything is jumbled and goodness knows I can't remember the site I saw this on but is there something that says that the very last prayer, the Isha, should be said right before you get into bed?:?

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-05-2006, 12:11 AM
Yea, u read Isha before you go to bed. Its the last prayer of the day. You should sleep on time so u may wake up for Fajr.

waji
09-05-2006, 05:09 AM

Congratulations on reverting
May increase ur knowledge and wisdom about islam
this is a good site i hope it will help u
Mistakes in Salat

:w:

Malaikah
09-05-2006, 07:53 AM
While sitting between the two sajdahs, place your left foot along the ground and sit on it, and keep the right foot upright, with the point of the toes towards the qiblah or You can also practice iq’aa (resting on both heels, and all the toes). You should also be relaxed such that every bone is in its proper position. Whilst in this position one should say::

Rabb ighfirlee wa irhamnee

( O my Lord! Forgive me, and have mercy on me )

^this was in one of the links given, ive never heard of that before, is that for real?:uuh:

lolwatever
09-05-2006, 08:27 AM
^ salamz actually the only obligatory part is

While sitting between the two sajdahs, place your left foot along the ground and sit on it,

and

You should also be relaxed such that every bone is in its proper position. Whilst in this position one should say::

Rabb ighfirlee wa irhamnee

The rest abotu the toes isn't (it pains me personally)... and i specificually looked it up in albanee's book on prayer.

tc salamz

Malaikah
09-05-2006, 08:32 AM

woops i should have been more specific, i meant the part about saying: Rabb ighfirlee wa irhamnee

thats what ive never heard before

(yeh the toes thing hurts me too!)

Malaikah
09-05-2006, 08:37 AM
Your Left buttocks should be on the floor. Your left leg should be bent. Outside of Left Femur should also be on the floor and your inside of your Left Tibia and foot should be protruding underneath the front of your Right Tibia (shin area).
Also the right foot can be placed upright with the toes pointing towards the qiblah or it can be placed on the ground.

In this position, you will be leaning heavily on the left hand (but make sure that your left hand is placed on your thigh/knee and not the floor).
^is that true too? never heard of this before either.. (its talking about while saying tashahud)

syilla
09-05-2006, 08:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by cheese

woops i should have been more specific, i meant the part about saying: Rabb ighfirlee wa irhamnee

thats what ive never heard before

(yeh the toes thing hurts me too!)
i always read that...

rabighfirlee war hamnee war jubnee war zuk nee wah deenee wa'afeenee....wa'fuanni....

lolwatever
09-05-2006, 09:40 AM
Whilst sitting thus, he should say, “Allaahumma ighfir li warhamni wajburni, warfa’ni, wa’aafini warzuqni (O Allaah, forgive me, have mercy on me, strengthen me, raise me in status, pardon me and grant me provision).”

that seems to be the strongest i came across.
personally i use to say 'rabighfirlee warhamnee warzuqnee' i wonder fi there's evdience for that? i say that coz i learnt it off my parents...

salamz

Dhulqarnaeen
09-05-2006, 10:18 AM
What we should realize is...eeeeeeeeeverything in doing ibadah to Allah, such as du'a, salah, fasting etc, for each of them have daleeeeeeeelll (evidences) from hadith. So thats why we are wajeeb to seek for evidences from Quran and Sunnah. We are wajeeb to do allllll ibadah according Quran and sunnah, wajeeb and may not do it according to:
1. Traditions.
2. Our parents teaching. I mean we may not take our parents teaching, or ustadh, or someone who dont have daleel from Quran and sunnah, cause it will just make the mistakes goes on.

For example, where do we put our hands after takbiratul ihram? To some people its small things right, so a lot of people underestimate it and pu te hands eeeeeeeeverywhere they like. Actually theres a distinct rules where we have to put our hands, so we have to look from hadith Rasulullah shalallahu alaihi wasalam that said we have to put our hands on our chest. And thats it, and no where else to put our hands except it. All the hadiths about putting our hands on the stomach and or on our left stomach, etc is nothing saheeh. Soooooo every little things about salah is IN THERE in hadith Rasulullah, and we may not contradict IT, like Rasulullah said :"shollu kama roaytumuuni usholli". "do salah like you see I do salah". (bukhari).

lolwatever
09-05-2006, 10:32 AM
jazaks bro, could u lookup the thing about sitting down, coz the only 'saheeh' narration i foudn was what i came across tehre... which is diff 2 wat i grew up on till this day lol

salamz

Malaikah
09-05-2006, 10:36 AM
^at least youve been saying something, ive never said anything at all:uuh:

- Qatada -
09-05-2006, 10:39 AM
:salamext:

I've heard in a lecture by Yasir Qadhi, that saying 'Rabigh fir lee' after getting up from the first sajdah is within the hanbali madhab - the opinion of imaam ahmad, and he mentioned that there is a hadith to support that.

Similarly, you notice how imaam ahmad was the one who said that eating camel meat broke a person's wudhu (ablution) - whereas the others never.

I'm just trying to point out that as long as the scholar has a authentic hadith to support their ruling, then we should follow the one with the better evidence/s. And we know that imaam ahmad had a massive collection of ahadith in his Musnad Ahmad.

Allaah Almighty knows best.

:wasalamex

lolwatever
09-05-2006, 10:41 AM
^and rabighfirlee is based on an authetnic hadith right?

cheese, ok lol that's just weird hehe...

- Qatada -
09-05-2006, 10:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by lolwatever

It probably is, because obviously - an imaam of fiqh wouldn't allow it unless it was. But i can't find it yet, it's harder to search for a hadith which you hear in a lecture - especially when they only mention that it's in a hadith but don't actually tell the wording lol.

Try downloading:

http://www.audioislam.com/?subcategory=Worship

Fiqh of Worship - by Yasir Qadhi

lolwatever
09-05-2006, 10:50 AM
^ ok cool jazaks.. yeh i hate it too the thing about lectures n referencing

i dont like the summarised version of albanis prayer book coz its devoid of references too!! which is whee i got the qutoe from

salamz

Malaikah
09-05-2006, 10:58 AM

so does anyone have a hadith or what?!

today people please! ive got to pray isha soon...

Dhulqarnaeen
09-06-2006, 02:46 AM
jazaks bro, could u lookup the thing about sitting down, coz the only 'saheeh' narration i foudn was what i came across tehre... which is diff 2 wat i grew up on till this day lol

salamz
Bro...actually you can look in sheikh Albani's book "sifat salah Nabi", its complete. Since putting the sutrah and all, and it have takhreej too. And we shouldnt doubt his knowledges in ilmuhadith -rahimahullah-. He is muhaddith of the century and syaikh bin Baz said "he is mujaddid of the century", Allahu a'lam cause syaikh Albani also said syaikh bin Bazz is the mujadid of the century too :D .

So...about the sitting down?
If we salah in salah which have two rakaah, then the sitting is "iftirash", we sit on our left feet and we make our right feets fingers like....mmm I dunno how to explain in english :D I think you know already right. Its like we point our right fingers to the ground by out feets thumb (I hope U understand :uhwhat ). But its still ikhtilaf bainal ulama, but Allahu a'lam the stronger hujjah is iftirash.

And if we salah in salah which have 3 or 4 rakaah, then we sit iftirash in rakaah 2 and we sit "tawaruk" in the last rakaah. Tawaruk will be like we put our left foot under our bottom but we dont sit on it. And we make our right foot same like iftirash.

And how to sit everytime we sit in salah, example in first rakaah when we say dua "rabbighfilee warhamnee...", in here we sit iftirash, and also theres a sit that we rarely know, its called sitting "iq'aa" (If I am not mistaken its called iq'aa). Iq'aa means we sit on our both foots calfes, and we make our sole meet together and we place our bottom on our soles. Allahu a'lam I heard my ustadh told me taht it was done by Rasulullah ahyaanan, just sometimes. And not everytime in salah. But some of my ustadh explain we may do it in everytime we salah, cause its sunnah. Allahu A'lam. Maybe someone can complete my explanation insha Allah.

And there are different kind of dua in sitting, just check it out in syaikh Albanis book. Or if you want more complete book, read the book of syaikh Albanis student who is expert in fiqh, ya'ni syaikh Mashoor bin Salman -hafidhahullah-, the title is "the total correction about salah", thats the title means in Indo at least. I forget the title in Arabic, wallahul mustaan.
And there are also books by syaikh Abdul aziz bin Bazz, syaikh Al Qahthany, Syaikh Fawzan and etc. And if theres a differences between them, we should know that its ikhtilaf, and we may take one of their opinion, insha Allah. Just dont make a fuss on it, thats the best insha Allah.

Dhulqarnaeen
09-06-2006, 03:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah

It probably is, because obviously - an imaam of fiqh wouldn't allow it unless it was. But i can't find it yet, it's harder to search for a hadith which you hear in a lecture - especially when they only mention that it's in a hadith but don't actually tell the wording lol.

Try downloading:

http://www.audioislam.com/?subcategory=Worship

Fiqh of Worship - by Yasir Qadhi

Yes right yaa akhee. And for me, if I heard a lecture and the ustadh just said "its in hadith" and didnt tell me the hadith and the takhreej, then I will try to find out after that, doing a research. Cause eeeeeeeeevery asatidhah can say its in hadith but most of them actually dont know the authentic hadith which we can lean on to. S just accept an ustadh which tells the at least the takhreej, wether its from the shahihain, or some sunans, so it can be acceptable.
And the shaikh Albanis book is just a summary I think. I havent seen the real one in Arabic. But what I got in Indo is just a summary and full with hadith. But I think this is enough for us as our reference and we can practise the hadiths still right? :) As for me, I think the safest ways is to read the book about doing salah from salafy scholars, cause its ilmiyah, and they always put the takhreej and there the most alim about hadith insha Allah. :)
And I agree imam Ahmad is the most knowledgable in hadith, and he had a tazkiyah from his teacher in fiqh, Al Imam Asy Syafi'i who ever said "Yaa Ahmad, if you got hadith from people in Basrah, or syam or somewhere, please tell me so I can confirm to it, and I can rujuu' from my previous opinion". And if we talk about salah, I suggest we should be carefull with the opinion of Imam Hanafi. Cause theres some hadith which is not sahih included. Example putting the hands on stomach, etc. But basically like Imam Malik said "All opinion can be rejected, except the opinion of the owner of this grave (Rasulullah shalallahu alaihi wasallam)". So just accept a teaching and opinions which based with hadith sahih no matter which Imam revealed the opinion. Just info, insha Allah manfaat.
If I made mistakes, please correct me insha Allah. Allahu a'lam bisshowab

lolwatever
09-06-2006, 06:09 AM
If we salah in salah which have two rakaah, then the sitting is "iftirash", we sit on our left feet and we make our right feets fingers like....mmm I dunno how to explain in english :D I think you know already right. Its like we point our right fingers to the ground by out feets thumb (I hope U understand :uhwhat ). But its still ikhtilaf bainal ulama, but Allahu a'lam the stronger hujjah is iftirash.
jazaks akh dhulqarnayn, yeh i got that book but i hav the summarised version which is missing the evidence das y i asked so cheese know where it came from....

also that above quote, he specifically says that the only bit that's compulsary is to sit 'leaning' on the right leg or watever it is.. but the toes bit isn't compulsary (this is in mukhtasar sifat salat enabi).

:)

Malaikah
09-06-2006, 06:24 AM
^what do u mean by leaning on the right foot? :?

Ummu Sufyaan
09-06-2006, 06:30 AM

:sl: brothers and sisters. this is wha can be saidwhen sitting between the 2 sajoods:

rabigfirli, rabigfirli (My Lord forgive me, My Lord forgive me)
(Abu dawood 1/231, see Sahih ibn majah 1/148)

or:

allahumagfirlee, warhamnee, wahdinee, wajbornee, wa afinee, waroqnee, warfa'nee
(O allah, forgive me, have mercy upon mew, guide me, enrichme, give me health, grant me sustenanence, and raise my rank.)'

(abu dawud, At-tirmithi and ibn majah, see: sahih at-timithi 1/90 and sahih ibn majah 1/148)

both duas where extracted from 'fortres of the muslim', reseached and compiled by: sahikh said bin wahf Al-qartani.

lolwatever
09-06-2006, 06:40 AM
jazaks sis maryam! really appreciate it.

^what do u mean by leaning on the right foot? :?
sorry im not good at describing postures... does ne1 know wat im on about n describe it 2 her pls? lol

i THINK it might be this bit:

Your Left buttocks should be on the floor. Your left leg should be bent. Outside of Left Femur should also be on the floor and your inside of your Left Tibia and foot should be protruding underneath the front of your Right Tibia (shin area).
KINDA liek this?

lol
salams

syilla
09-06-2006, 06:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
i always read that...

rabighfirlee war hamnee war jubnee war zuk nee wah deenee wa'afeenee....wa'fuanni....
someone should translate this for me...the meaning is awesome...i have it in bm...and i'm nooottt soooo good with translation

Malaikah
09-06-2006, 06:41 AM
^why do we have to do it though? is there a hadith about it? and did the prophet always do it that way?

syilla
09-06-2006, 06:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by maryam11
:sl: brothers and sisters. this is wha can be saidwhen sitting between the 2 sajoods:

rabigfirli, rabigfirli (My Lord forgive me, My Lord forgive me)
(Abu dawood 1/231, see Sahih ibn majah 1/148)

or:

allahumagfirlee, warhamnee, wahdinee, wajbornee, wa afinee, waroqnee, warfa'nee
(O allah, forgive me, have mercy upon mew, guide me, enrichme, give me health, grant me sustenanence, and raise my rank.)'

(abu dawud, At-tirmithi and ibn majah, see: sahih at-timithi 1/90 and sahih ibn majah 1/148)

both duas where extracted from 'fortres of the muslim', reseached and compiled by: sahikh said bin wahf Al-qartani.
oh...you already translate it for me... :thankyou

lolwatever
09-06-2006, 07:04 AM
^why do we have to do it though? is there a hadith about it? and did the prophet always do it that way?
ill lookup n get bak... lol this thread is revolutionary for alot of us i think, coz i just realised i been praying without verifying where they got the stuff from :offended:

thx sis doodlebug!
salamz

- Qatada -
09-06-2006, 11:19 AM

Ok check this link for the dua's recited in salaah:

http://makedua.com/display_dua.php?sectionid=16

And the link i pasted earlier, Yasir Qadhi kinda explains the sunnah of sitting down like bro lolwatever explained. It's in Fiqh of Worship - Part 06

So that may be of some help insha'Allaah.

Allaah Almighty knows best. and jazak Allaah khayr brother dhulqarnaeen and sister maryam :)

Malaikah
09-06-2006, 11:59 AM
^bro i tried to do what he said, but it was very painful and uncomfortable, and i couldnt keep my balance, i dont think i did it correctly (and he didnt mention any evidence for it either)

lolwatever
09-06-2006, 12:03 PM
im sure there's a foto on the net... its definately not painful at all.. its just so hard to describe in words/writing without a pic. ill c if there's some sort of picture diagram

salamz

- Qatada -
09-06-2006, 12:04 PM
^bro i tried to do what he said, but it was very painful and uncomfortable, and i couldnt keep my balance, i dont think i did it correctly (and he didnt mention any evidence for it either)

At first it might feel uncomfortable because a person's toes might not be used to the stretch, but gradually a person get's used to it insha'Allaah.

Also - he kept mentioning throughout the lecture that the reason why he never mentioned the evidences was because it was for beginners, so he never wanted to go into the depth of the scholarly opinions and every single ahadith. Because we know that the imaams of fiqh did have different opinions. If there was a more advanced fiqh lecture, then that would be better insha'Allaah. But right now, we just have to do some research insha'Allaah.

lolwatever
09-06-2006, 12:08 PM
but u know what bro, i use 2 agree with that opinion about making two versions of the same book (like albanis prayer)... but i heard another sheikh sayin that's wrong coz we should always mention the evidence, like even mentioning atleast source of hadith is all he had to do... coz wat tends 2 happen, is that the 'simplified' versions are wat get popular and the referenced ones die out... which is a pety in a thread like this 4 xample

khayr insh :)

salamz

Malaikah
09-06-2006, 12:10 PM
i found this:

thats what i done, and its hurts!

amirah_87
09-06-2006, 12:10 PM
As salaamu alaykum,

Sis cheese there's four types of ways to sit, one that was mentioned and another three which I studied in one of my Fiqh classes...
I can't explain them in words though so I'll try getting some sorta diagram InshaAllah.. wallahul musta3aan..

- Qatada -
09-06-2006, 12:12 PM
i found this:

thats what i done, and its hurts!

Yeah, thats what i understood too. A person get's used to it because naturally with time - the persons toes get more flexible insha'Allaah.

Malaikah
09-06-2006, 12:12 PM
salam

is it only sunnah to sit hose ways sis or fard? :)

lolwatever
09-06-2006, 12:14 PM
^ the toe bit is deffo not fardh... so it says in albani's prayer book (which is authentic, its just that i hav the summarised version:hiding: )

but the rest of the posture yep is wat u suppose 2do, i dont think the rest of it hurts does it?

Malaikah
09-06-2006, 12:14 PM
Question: How should our feet be positioned at the times when we are seated during our prayers?

Answered by Sheikh Yûsuf al-Qâsim

Two types of sitting were related from the Prophet (peace be upon him) during prayer. The first type of sitting is the one after completing two units of prayer. The worshipper rests on his left foot and raises his right foot pointing it towards Qiblah. This is known as iftirâsh.

The second type of sitting comes in the final sitting of the three and four units’ prayers. The worshipper should sit on his posterior, extend the left leg out from his body from the right side and erect the right foot and point it towards the Qiblah. This is known as tawarruk.

The way you sit after two units is the same for all prayers. The only difference is in the final sitting of three and four unit prayers.
source

*sigh* this is getting more confusing by the minute lol

Malaikah
09-06-2006, 12:15 PM
^ the toe bit is deffo not fardh... so it says in albani's prayer book (which is authentic, its just that i hav the summarised version:hiding: )

but the rest of the posture yep is wat u suppose 2do, i dont think the rest of it hurts does it?
where does the right foot go then? does still have to 'upright' like in the pic?

lolwatever
09-06-2006, 12:16 PM
just follow the thing i mentioned... does anyoen hav complete version of sifat salat n nabi.. could they quote 4 her his evidence.. its easiest.

salamz

Malaikah
09-06-2006, 12:16 PM
i think this is tawarruk:

lolwatever
09-06-2006, 12:17 PM
where does the right foot go then? does still have to 'upright' like in the pic?
nah just leave it not standing up.. on the ground normal... lol feet posture is the last thing im good at describing (cough cough sL)

lolwatever
09-06-2006, 12:18 PM
twarruk is the toe bit... wats compulsary is the 'iftiraash' (the way the legs r positioned)... but the toe thing isnt (lol that sounds funny) but neway yeh.

salamz

amirah_87
09-06-2006, 12:19 PM
salam

is it only sunnah to sit hose ways sis or fard? :)
As salaamu alaykum,

Allahu a3lam Sis, I can't remember!!...

In a way I think it's waajib, because the hadeeth that the Prophet sallalaahu 3alayhi wasallam said: Salluu kamaa ra'aytumuunee Usallee... Pray as you've seen me pray....
and the word " salluu"/pray here Is a command .. meaning that it's obligatory for us to do..

and Allah knows best.. if i'm incorrect, correct me guys inshaAllah

Allah ma3akum :peace:

Malaikah
09-06-2006, 12:19 PM
nah just leave it not standing up.. on the ground normal... lol feet posture is the last thing im good at describing (cough cough sL)
but then thats the way i normally sit anyway!! :hiding: :grumbling :uuh: :offended:

lolwatever
09-06-2006, 12:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amirah_87
As salaamu alaykum,

Allahu a3lam Sis, I can't remember!!...

In a way I think it's waajib, because the hadeeth that the Prophet sallalaahu 3alayhi wasallam said: Salluu kamaa ra'aytumuunee Usallee... Pray as you've seen me pray....
and the word " salluu"/pray here Is a command .. meaning that it's obligatory for us to do..

and Allah knows best.. if i'm incorrect, correct me guys inshaAllah

Allah ma3akum :peace:
ya i agree... but albanee mentioned the evidence for the first bit being obligatory and not second bit.

does anyone hav sifat salat an nabee, full version?!?! i got the 'baby version' (i.e. no evidence :offended: )

pleeeeeease if anyone got it, go to chapter of sitting and quote that bit 4 us pleeease evenin arabic..

salamz

lolwatever
09-06-2006, 12:22 PM
but then thats the way i normally sit anyway!! :hiding: :grumbling :uuh: :offended:
so wats ur problem lol? :p khalas ur fine insh

ill just wait till someone copy pastes us the thing from that book... salamz

amirah_87
09-06-2006, 12:24 PM
As salaamu alaykum,

I have the book.. but I dunno if it's the full or shortened version.. how many pages is the short one, cause the one I have here is 220 pages or so..

ps: which chapter is it you want?

Mawaddah
09-06-2006, 12:28 PM
I have the full version of the book but unfortunately I dont have it with me now.

YOu guys are trying to describe the different Jalsaat??

amirah_87
09-06-2006, 12:32 PM
As salaamu alaykum,

which version is that Maw', my one has the daleels and a some sharh, dunno if it's the full though..

YOu guys are trying to describe the different Jalsaat??
Yeah, wells sorta, put some input, if you wanna explain how all four are tafadhallee.. it's kinda hard to explain in words!! :mmokay:

- Qatada -
09-06-2006, 02:03 PM
Bending the toes in sujood and sitting between the two sujood

Question:

My Mu-Alleem told our class that when you sujood, your toes should be bended and you are not allowed to put your feet on top of the other when you come to the sitting position Any-one leading the salaah and does not do the above, he's not aloowed to lead a salaah and we should not follow him in the salaah

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

What your mu’allim (teacher) has told you, that in sujood the toes should be bent and should touch the ground, is correct. It is a proven part of the sunnah of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). Al-Bukhaari (may Allaah have mercy on him) reported in his Saheeh from Abu Humayd al-Saa’idi that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) “when he prostrated… the tips of his toes would be facing the qiblah…” (Fath, no. 828).

Abu Dawood reported from Abu Humayd al-Saa’idi: “… he would bend his toes when he prostrated.” (Reported by Abu Dawood, no. 716, Bab fi iftitaah al-salaah). The author of ‘Awn al-Ma’bood Sharh Sunan Abi Dawood said: “‘He would bend (yaftukh) his toes” – the meaning of fatkh is to bend or flex, so he would bend his toes and point them towards the qiblah.” (‘Awn al-Ma’bood, 2/419). The hadeeth was reported by al-Albaani in Sifat al-Salaah p. 142, 1411 AH edition [This book is also available in English under the title The Prophet’s Prayer Described – Translator].

Pointing the toes towards the qiblah is sunnah and is encouraged, but if a person does not do it, his prayer or leadership of the prayer is still valid, especially as many people do not have the ability to flex their toes in the manner described. But everyone should put their toes on the ground when prostrating, because they are counted among the seven parts of the body on which we are commanded to prostrate. If a person lifts his feet off the ground when prostrating, and does not place the tips of his toes on the ground, then his prayer or leadership of the prayer is not valid.

With regard to the way one should sit between sujoods, two ways of doing this have been narrated from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

1. Keeping the right foot upright and sitting on the left foot, as was described in the saheeh hadeeth which describes how he sat between two sujoods: “He kept his right foot upright,” and “he pointed its toes towards the qiblah.” This is the most well known way, and it is the way he sat most of the time.

2. Keeping both feet upright and sitting on the heels, as was described in the saheeh hadeeth which describes how he sat between two sujoods: “Sometimes he would rest on both his heels and the balls on his feet.” (See Sifat al-Salaah by al-Albaani, p. 152). This is not the way of sitting that is forbidden.

If a person who is praying puts one foot on top of the other and sits on them, he is doing something other than the sunnah, but his prayer or leadership of the prayer is still valid. In all cases, we should guide people towards the sunnah and teach them about it, because this is an important matter – how could it be otherwise? The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Pray as you have seen me praying.” (Reported by al-Bukhaari, no. 631).

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

source: http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ref...eng&txt=salaah

lolwatever
09-06-2006, 08:10 PM
jazaks bor fee.

i found the evdience for not having to do the toe thing btw... here it is, froms ifat salat..

To sit muftarishan between the Two Sajdahs

Next, "he would lay his left foot along the ground and sit on it [relaxed]"147, and he ordered "the one who prayed badly" thus, saying to him, When you prostrate, prostrate firmly, then when you rise, sit on your left thigh.148
"He would have his right foot upright"149, and "point its toes towards the qiblah."150 [See diagram - qss]
and here's the proof that you dont hav to do the last bit about the toes..

Iq'aa' Between the Two Sajdahs

"He would sometimes practise iq'aa' [resting on both his heels and (all) his toes]."151

iq`aa' has reached us via: the hadeeth of Ibn `Abbaas in Muslim, Abu Daawood & Tirmidhi, who declared it saheeh, and others (see Silsilah al-Ahaadeeth as-Saheehah 383); the hadeeth of Ibn `Umar with a hasan isnaad in Baihaqi, declared saheeh by Ibn Hajar. Also, Abu Ishaaq al-Harbi related in Ghareeb al-Hadeeth (5/12/1) from Taawoos, who saw Ibn `Umar and Ibn `Abbaas practising iq`aa'; its sanad is saheeh.

salamz :)

btw: thanks 2 sis amirah for providing me the link to the book! jazaks sis once again..

salams

Malaikah
09-07-2006, 09:26 AM

If a person who is praying puts one foot on top of the other and sits on them, he is doing something other than the sunnah, but his prayer or leadership of the prayer is still valid
woohoo!!! :D

alhamdulilah thanks everyone for your help!

Musalmaan
09-08-2006, 03:58 PM
Some More Ahadith w.r.t to Salaah

[Sifatus Salaah: The Method of Salaah in the Light of Authentic Ahadith]
Sheikh Muhammad Ilyas Faisal
Madina al-Munawwara

Prescribed Times For The Five Daily Salaah:

Hazrat Abu Huraira (radhiallahu anhu) narrates: "When the length of your shadow (from the sun) is equal to your height then perform the zuhr salaah. When the length of your shadow becomes twice your height, perform the asr salaah. Perform the maghrib salaah when the sun has set. Perform the esha salaah before one-third (1/3) of the night passes. And perform the fajr salaah while it is still dark." [Muwatta Imaam Maalik vol.1, pg.8, Hadith 9]

Masnoon Time For Zuhr Salaah:

Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) has said: "When the heat becomes very intense (after mid-day), then delay the zuhr salaah until it cools down, for verily the intensity of the heat is from the effects of Jahannam". [Sahih Muslim, Hadith 615]

Masnoon Time For Asar:

It was the noble habit of Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) that he used to delay the performance of asar so long as the sun remained white and clear. [Abu Daud; Waqtul Asr]

Masnoon Time For Fajar:

Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) is reported to have said: "Perform the fajar salaah when the sky brightens at the time of dawn (i.e. before sunrise) since this is a means of earning greater reward. [Tirmidhi, Hadith 154]

Imam Tirmidhi explains that the majority of the Sahaaba (radhiallahu anhum) used to perform fajar salaah at this time (i.e. when the sky had brightened up).

Masnoon Method Of Iqaamah:

Hazrat Bilal (radhiallahu anhu), Rasulullah's (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) muazzin, used to call out the words of azaan and iqaamah twice. (This Hadith is classified as Sahih — Musannaf Abdur Razzaak; see Aathaarus Sunan v.1, pg. 53)

The muazzins of Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam), Abu Mahzoora (radhiallahu anhu) and Thaubaan (radhiallahu anhu) also used to call out the azaan and iqaamah in the above mentioned manner (i.e. by saying the words twice). Allaamah Shawkani (R.A.) has affirmed the authenticity of the above narrations in Naylul Autaar, (vol.2. pg.24.)

Covering of the Head During Salaah:

Ibn Umar (R.A.) narrates that Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) wore a white hat. (Tabarani — Allama Suyuti has classified this Hadith as highly authentic: see Sirajul Muneer; v.4, pg.112). It is written in Fataawa Thunaaiyya vol. 1, pg. 525), and in the Fatawaa of the Ahle Hadith Scholars (vol. 4 pg.291) that Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) always used to keep his mubarak head covered during salaah. In the same books it is also mentioned that to intentionally remove the headgear (hat) and perform salaah bare-headed is contrary to the sunnah. (vol. 1, pg.523.)

To Raise the Hands upto the Earlobes:

Hazrat Qataada (radhiallahu anhu) relates that he saw Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) performing his salaah. He relates that Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) used to lift his hands until they were in line with his earlobes. [Sahih Muslim, ch. on Istihbaabur Raf’, Hadith 391]

To Tie the Hands Beneath the Navel:

Hazrat Ali (radhiallahu anhu) relates that the sunnah of Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) is to place one hand over the other below the navel. [Abu Daud, ch. on Wad’ul Yumna, Hadith 756]

The above-mentioned method of tying the hands is also related by Hazrat Anas (radhiallahu anhu).

Reciting Bismillah Softly:

Hazrat Anas (radhiallahu anhu) states, "I have performed congregational salaah behind Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam), Abu Bakr, Umar and Uthmaan (radhiallahu anhum) and I did not hear any one of them recite Bismillahir rahmaan nir raheem" [Sahih Muslim, Hadith 399]

Imaam Tirmidhi (R.A.) states that the majority of the Sahaba (radhiallahu anhum) also used to recite Bismillah softly.

The Muqtadi (follower) Should Listen and Remain Silent:

Allah Ta’aala says: "When the Qur’an is being recited then listen attentively and remain silent so that Rahmah will be showered upon you".

Hazrat Abdullah Ibn Mas'ud, Abu Hurairah, Abdullah Ibn Abbas and Abdullah Ibn Mughaffal (radhiallahu anhum) state that this verse of the Quran was revealed with regards to the Khutba (of Juma’ah) and with regards to Salaah. [Tafsir Ibn Kathir, vol. 1 pg. 281]

The dictates of this verse of the Holy Qur’an is that when the Imaam recites the Qur’an aloud, the followers should listen attentively, and when he recites softly, the followers should remain silent.

Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) is reported to have said: "When you begin your congregational prayers, straighten your rows. Thereafter when the Imaam says the takbeer (i.e. when he says Allahu Akbar aloud) you must also say the takbeer. However, when he begins the recital of the Qur’an, you must remain silent. And when he recites walad daul leen then you should say Aameen". By performing your salaah in this manner Allah Ta’ala will love you." [Muslim; ch. on tashahhud]

(A similar Hadith has been narrated by Abu Hurairah (radhiallahu anhu)-Imaam Muslim has attested to its authenticity; ibid).

The muqtadi Must Not Recite Surah Fatiha:

It is reported from Hazrat Ataa Ibn Yasaar (radhiallahu anhu) that he questioned Hazrat Zaid Ibn Thaabit (radhiallahu anhu) concerning reciting Qira’at with the Imaam. Hazrat Zaid (radhiallahu anhu) answered: "There is no recitation of the Glorious Qur’an in any salaah behind the Imaam". [Sahih Muslim, chapter on Sujood-ut-Tilaawah, Hadith 577]

The Qiraat of the Imaam SUFFICES for the Muqtadi:

Hazrat Abdullah Ibn Umar (radhiallahu anhu) used to repeatedly say: "Whoever performs salaah behind the Imaam, the Imaam’s qiraat suffices for him". (Sunan Baihaqi; chapter on not reciting qiraat behind the Imaam — Imaam Baihaqi (R.A.) has stated that this Hadith is Sahih.)
The Person Performing salaah Individually Must Recite Surah Fatiha, Not the Muqtadi

Hazrat Abdullah Ibn Umar (radhiallahu anhu) was asked: "Must the muqtadi recite behind the Imam?" He replied that the qiraat of the Imaam is sufficient for the muqtadi. But if he performs salaah individually, then he must recite qiraat. It was the practice of Hazrat Abdullah Ibn Umar (radhiallahu anhu) also that he would not recite surah fatiha behind the Imam. (In Aathaarus Sunan (Vol. 1 pg.89) this Hadith has been classified as sahih).

Hazrat Jaabir (radhiallahu anhu) narrates that the one who does not recite sura fatiha even in one rakaat, his salaah is not valid. However, if he is behind an Imam he must not recite surah fatiha. (This Hadith has been classified as hasan — Tirmizi - ch. on not reciting behind the Imaam). It is on the basis of this Hadith that Imaam Tirmidhi (R.A.) has narrated from Imam Ahmad bin Hanbal (R.A.) [who was the teacher of the ustaad of Imaam Bukhari (R.A.)] that the narration "Whoever does not recite surah fatiha his salaah is not complete" refers to one who performs his salaah alone. It does not include the muqtadi (Jami’ Tirmidhi, ibid). In the above Hadith it is very clearly mentioned that the muqtadi must not recite sura fatiha.

"Aameen" Must be said softly:

Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) is reported to have said: "Do not hasten before the Imaam! When he says the takbeer, then you should do the same. When he recites Walad da ul leen, then you should say Aameen. When he makes ruku’ then you should make ruku’. And when he says sami’-Allahu liman hamidah then you should say Allahumma Rabbana wa lakal hamd". [Sahih Muslim, Hadith 415]

With regards to the saying of Aameen this narration is very clear and explicit. Like in the case where the Imaam says Allahu Akbar and sami’-Allahu liman hamidah aloud, but all the followers say "Allahu Akbar"and "Rabbana lakal hamd" softly. In the same manner when the Imaam recites "walad daul leen" aloud, the followers should say Aameen softly. It is also reported from Abu Ma’mar that Umar (radhiallahu anhu) used to say: "The Imaam will recite four things softly-Ta’awwuz, Bismillah, Aameen and Rabbana Lakalhamd" (Aini Vol. 1 pg. 620)

Raising the Hands (upto the shoulders) During Salaah:

Hazrat Jaabir Ibn Samurah (radhiallahu anhu) relates that once Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) came out of his house towards us and said: "Why is it that I see you all raising your hands as though they are the tails of stubborn horses. Be tranquil in salaah". [Sahih Muslim, Hadith 430]

This hadith alone makes it clear that those narrations which mention the raising of the hands (during the salaah) were narrated prior to the prohibition of this practice.

Proof from the PRACTICE of Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam)

Hazrat Abdullah Ibn Mas'ud (radhiallahu anhu) said: "Shall I not show you the manner in which Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) performed his salaah?" Thereafter he performed the salaah but he did not raise his hands except at the beginning (of his salaah). [Tirmidhi, Hadith no.257] This Hadith is classified Hasan. Ibn Hazm (R.A.) has declared it as sahih. Ahmed Shakir (R.A.) has also declared it as sahih.

Proof from the Practice of the Sahaabah (radhiallahu anhum)

It is related that Hazrat Ali (radhiallahu anhu) used to raise his hands at the time of the first Takbeer (during his salaah). Thereafter he did not raise them. [Sunanal Bayhaqi]

(The commentator of Bukhari Shareef, Allaama Ibn Hajar, Allaama Zayla'i and Allaama ‘Aini (R.A.) have said that this narration and its chain of narrators is Sahih)

One should take note of the fact that the practice of Hazrat Umar, the remaining Khulafa-e-Raashideen, Hazrat Abdullah Ibn Mas’ud and many more Sahaabah (radhiallahu anhu) was the same, that they only raised their hands at the time of the first takbeer. Imaam Tirmidhi (R.A.) also states that this was the practice of a great number of the Sahaabah (radhiallahu anhum).
Jalsatul Istiraaha - Sitting briefly After The 2nd Sajdah Of The First Or Third Rakaat:

In a narration from the ibn Sahl (radhiallahu anhu) it is mentioned that Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) said the takbeer and simultaneously went into sajdah. Then he said the takbeer and simultaneously stood up erect without sitting. [Abu Daud, Hadith no. 966]

Imaam Bayhaqi (R.A.) has recorded in his Sunan that this was the practice of Hazrat Abdullah Ibn Mas’ud (radhiallahu anhu). Allaama Zayla'i (R.A.) has recorded in Nasabur Raayah that the same procedure was the practice of Hazrat Umar, Ali, Abdullah Ibn Zubeir and Abdullah Ibn Abbaas (radhiallahu anhu). (vol. 1, pg. 289)

Likewise Allaamah Turkumaani has recorded in Jauharun Naqi regarding several Sahaaba (radhiallahu anhum) that it was their practice that after the first and third rakaat they would stand up straight from sajdah without sitting. (vol. 1, pg. 125)

Tashahhud:

Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) is reported to have said: "When you sit during salaah (for Qa’dah Akheerah, the last Qa’dah) read the following:-

"All oral, physical and monetary worship is due to Allah alone. Salutations to you ‘O Nabi, and the mercy and blessings of Allah be upon you. Peace be upon us and upon all the righteous servants of Allah. I bear witness that none is worthy of worship besides Allah and that Muhammad (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) is his servant and messenger.)

Thereafter he would choose from the supplications whatever he wished."
[Sahih Muslim, Hadith no. 402; Sahih Bukhari, chapter on Tashahhud].
Rasing the Index Finger During Tashahhud:

It is narrated that when Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) used to sit down to supplicate, (to recite tashahhud) he used to place his right hand on his right thigh and his left hand on his left thigh. He would indicate at the time of reciting the shahadah by raising his index finger. He would also join the ends of his thumb and middle finger (thereby forming a circle). [Sahih Muslim, chapter on the description of sitting-Hadith no.579]

Durood Sharif:

The Sahaabah-e-Kiraam (radhiallahu anhum) inquired from Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) as to which durood should they recite (during salaah). Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) replied: "Recite the following durood-

(trans: O Allah shower your mercy upon Muhammad (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) and the family of Muhammad (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) as you have showered your mercy upon Ibrahim (A.S.) and the family of Ibrahim (A.S.). Behold, you are Praiseworthy, Glorious. O Allah shower your blessings upon Muhammad (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) and the family of Muhammad (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) as you have showered your blessings upon Ibrahim (A.S.) and the family of Ibrahim (A.S.). Behold, you are Praiseworthy, Glorious.

Raising Both the Hands and Making Dua:

It is narrated that Abdullah Ibn Zubair (radhiallahu anhu) saw a man raising his hands and making dua before completing his salah. When the person had completed his salaah, Hazrat Abdullah Ibn Zubair (radhiallahu anhu) went up to him and said: "Verily, Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) used to only raise his hands and make dua after completing his salaah" (the narrators of this Hadith are all trustworthy — Majmauz Zawaaid, vol. 1, pg. 169).

It is also mentioned in the Fataawa of Ahle Hadith (vol. 1, pg.190) as well as in Fataawa Nazeeriyyaa (vol. 1, pg. 566) that in the light of the Sharia, the dua after salaah is an authentically established practice and it is mustahab to do so.

Sunnats BEFORE Salaat al-Zuhr:

Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) has said: "Whoever performs four rakaats before the fardh of zuhr and four rakaats after it, Allah Ta’aala will make him haraam upon the fire of Jahannam". [Tirmidhi, Hadith no. 428]
Sunnats BEFORE Salaat al-Asr:

Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) has said: "May Allah show mercy upon that person who performs four rakaats before the fardh of asr". [Tirmidhi, chapter on the narrations regarding the four rakaats, Hadith no. 430]

Sunnats of Salaat al-Maghrib:

Hazrat Abu Ma’mar (radhiallahu anhu) has said that the Sahaabah (radhiallahu anhum) used to consider 4 rakaats after the Fardh of maghrib to be mustahab. [Qiyaamul-Layl of Marwazi pg.58]

4 Rakaats Before Salaat al-Isha:

Hazrat Sa’eed Ibn Jubair (radhiallahu anhu) narrates that the Sahaabah (radhiallahu anhum) used to regard the performing of four rakaats before the fardh of isha as mustahab. [ibid. pg.58]

Three Rakaats of Witr:

Hazrat A’yesha (radhiallahu anha) is reported to have said (with regards to the tahajjud salaah of Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam): "He (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) never used to perform more than eleven rakaats, whether in Ramadhan or out of Ramadhaan. Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) would perform long rakaats in two units of four rakaats each with such excellence and devotion which cannot be described. Thereafter he would perform three rakaats of witr salaah". [Sahih Muslim, chapter on salaatul layl, Hadith 738]

Reciting Qunoot Before Ruku’:

Hazrat Aasim (radhiallahu anhu) narrates: "I inquired from Hazrat Anas Ibn Malik (radhiallahu anhu) concerning the qunoot of witr. He affirmed its occurrence in the witr salaah. Then I asked whether it should be recited before the ruku or after it. He replied: "It should be recited before the ruku". I then informed him of a certain person who had heard him (Hazrat Anas (radhiallahu anhu) saying that it should be recited after ruku. Hazrat Anas (radhiallahu anhu) most vehemently denied this". Furthermore he said: "Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) recited the qunoot after the ruku for only one month.(referring to the qunootun naazilah)" [Sahih Bukhari, chapter on qunoot before ruku].

In Musannaf Ibn Abi Shaybah it is mentioned that for this very reason the Sahaaba-e-Kiraam (radhiallahu anhum) used to recite the qunoot before ruku.

Allaama Ibn Hajar (R.A.) writes in his commentary on Bukhari, Fath al-Bari that after analysing all these narrations we learn that it was the normal practice to recite the qunoot before ruku.
However on certain occasions (such as the befalling of a calamity, etc.) the qunoot would be recited after ruku. (vol. 1, pg. 291)
Salaam Should Be Made at the End of the Witr salaah:

Hazrat A’yesha (radhiallahu anhu) narrates that Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) used to perform three rakaats witr without making salaam in between (i.e. after two rakaats.) [Zadul Ma’aad, pg.110]

Allama Ibn Hajar (R.A.) writes in Fathul Baari, the commentary on Sahih Bukhari, that Hazrat Ubay Ibn Ka’b, Hazrat Umar, Abdullah Ibn Mas’ud and Anas Ibn Malik (radhiallahu anhum) used to make salaam at the end of three rakaats witr, not in between. (vol. 1, pg. 291)

Two Rakaats Sunnah of Fajr:

It is narrated that once Hazrat Abdullah Ibn Mas'ud (radhiallahu anhu) reached the masjid whilst the Imaam was leading the salaah of fajr with the congregation. Hence, since he had not as yet performed the two rakaats sunnah of fajr, he stood behind one of the pillars of the masjid and performed it (while the jama’ah was in progress). Thereafter he joined the jamaat. [Majmauz-Zawaaid, vol. 1, pg. 75]

This was also the practice of Abdullah Ibn Abbas, Abu Dardaa and Uthmaan (radhiallahu anhum).

Qadha of the Two Rakaats Sunnah of Salaat al-Fajr:

Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) is reported to have said: "Whoever did not perform the sunnah of fajr should perform it after the sun rises". [Tirmidhi, Hadith no. 423]

In the Muwwatta of Imaam Malik (R.A.) it is narrated that this was also the practice of Abdullah Ibn Umar (radhiallahu anhu).
Salaat al-Tarawih During The Lifetime Of Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam):

It is narrated that one night during Ramadhaan Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) performed salaat al-tarawih in the masjid. A group of Sahaabah joined him during his salaah. The following night the same happened as the previous night except that the number of followers had increased considerably. Hence on the third (or fourth) night Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) did not come out to the masjid to perform salaat al-tarawih with the people. The following morning he said to them: "Indeed I had seen your eagerness (to perform the tarawih behind me), but for the fear that this salaah will be made fardh (compulsory) upon you during Ramadhaan, I did not come out to join you in the tarawih". [Muslim, Hadith no.761]
Salaat al-Tarawih During the Period of the Rightly-Guided Khulafa (TWENTY RAKAATS):

Hazrat Yazeed Ibn Ruman (radhiallahu anhu) narrates that during the khilaafah of Hazrat Umar (radhiallahu anhu) the Sahaabah used to perform twenty rakaats tarawih and three rakaats witr salaah (with jamaat). [Muwwatta Imaam Maalik, chapter concerning standing in salaah during Ramadhaan]

During the khilafah of Abu Bakr (radhiallahu anhu) tarawih with jamaat was not in vogue. The practice of performing twenty rakaats with jamaat in every night of Ramadhaan and the completion of the entire Quraan began only during the the khilaafat of Hazrat Umar (radhiallahu anhu). All the Sahaabah present had agreed upon this practice. From then onwards including the Khilafah of both Hazrat Uthmaan and Hazrat Ali (radhiallahu anhu) upto this day the Muslim Ummah (at large) has followed this practice.

Twenty rakaats tarawih is also performed in both the Masjids of Makkah and Madinah upto the present time. However, it is tragic that in recent times a group of people have conflicted with the consensus of the Sahaabah (radhiallahu anhum) and the rest of the Ummah with regards to the number of rakaats in Tarawih salaah.

The Takbeers Of Salaat al-Eid:

Hazrat Abu Musa Ash’ari (radhiallahu anhu) was asked regarding the number of takbeers that Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) used to say in both the Eid salaahs. He replied: "He (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) used to say four takbeers (in every rakaat), in the same way as he used to say the takbeers in the salaat al-Janaaza". Hazrat Hudhaifa (radhiallahu anhu) also confirmed this practice of Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam). [Abu Dawud, Hadith no. 1153]

Imaam Tirmidhi (R.A.) has also recorded several narrations of similar meaning from Abdullah Ibn Mas'ud and other Sahaabah-e-Kiraam (radhiallahu anhum).

Distance Of Shar’i Safar (Travel in the Shariah):

It is narrated that Hazrat Abdullah Ibn Umar and Abdullah Ibn Abbas (radhiallahu anhu) would perform Qasr salaah and that they would also make iftaar (i.e. they would not fast) whenever they travelled the distance of four burud. Four burud is sixteen farsakh i.e. 48 miles. [Bukhari, chapter regarding the distance upon which one will perform Qasr salaah].

It is mentioned in Fataawa Thunaiyya that the majority of the Muhadditheen say that 48 miles is the correct distance of Shar’i travel (safar). Nine miles is incorrect. (vol.1, pg.482)

The Duration Of Time Pertaining To Qasr:

Hazrat Abdullah Ibn Umar (radhiallahu anhu) stated that whoever intends to stopover at any place along his journey for fifteen days (or more), he should perform his salaah fully (i.e. he should not perform Qasr salaah.) [Tirmidhi, Hadith no. 548]

Manner of standing in the saff (rows of the jamaah):

It is established from several ahadith that the saff (row) should be absolutely straight and no gaps should be left between the musallis (worshippers). However, some people insist on spreading their feet and standing in such a manner that their ankles touch the ankles of their neighbour. What is the reality of standing in this fashion?

Those who stand in this way base their practice upon a hadith narrated by Nu’maan bin Basheer (radhiallahu anhu). He says: "Once Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) faced us and said: "Straighten your rows". He repeated this thrice. He then said: "By Allah, you must most certainly straighten your rows or else Allah Ta’ala will disunite your hearts". Hazrat Nu’maan bin Basheer (radhiallahu anhu) says: "I then saw the people joining together their shoulders and ankles". [Abu Dawood, Sahih ibn Khuzaima]

The concluding statement of Hazrat Nu’maan (radhiallahu anhu) is also reported in Sahih Bukhari.

However, upon analysing this hadith, several points come to light: Firstly, Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) never commanded the joining of the ankles. No hadith has yet been found wherein Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) himself instructed the Sahaaba (radhiallahu anhu) to join their ankles. The Sahaaba (radhiallahu anhu) had themselves adopted this manner in order to fulfil the command of straightening the saff. Secondly, this hadith clearly mentions that Nu’maan bin Basheer (radhiallahu anhu) saw the Sahaaba (radhiallahu anhu) doing this PRIOR to the commencement of the salaah. There is no mention of this position being maintained even after the salaah had commenced. Therefore we find that great muhadditheen such as Hafiz ibn Hajar (R.A.) and Allama Shawkani (R.A.) have regarded this as an extreme measure which was occasionally adopted by the Sahaaba (radhiallahu anhu) to ensure that the saff is straight.

In fact, a hadith of Hazrat Anas (radhiallahu anhu) makes it absolutely clear that this practice was merely a measure adopted BEFORE the salaah to ensure the straightening of the saff. He says: "If I had to do that (join the ankles) with anyone of them (the taabi’een) today, they would run like wild mules". [Fath al-Bari, vol.2, pg.176]

This simply means that the taabi’een severely disliked that anybody should join their ankles with them. Several points are understood from this: Firstly, Hazrat Anas (radhiallahu anhu) had stopped doing this completely. Had this been a sunnah and not just a manner of ensuring that the saff was straight, it is impossible that Hazrat Anas (radhiallahu anhu) would have left it out merely upon somebody disliking it.

Secondly, the taabi’een would never have disliked it if they had observed many of the Sahaaba (radhiallahu anhum) continuously practicing upon this. It was only due to the fact that they had not generally observed the Sahaaba (radhiallahu anhum) adopting this procedure that they disliked it. Hence this makes it crystal clear that the Sahaaba (radhiallahu anhum) had only occasionally adopted this practice to ensure the straightening of the saff. It was not a sunnah in itself, otherwise they would never have left it out.

It has already been made clear that Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) never himself instructed the joining of the ankles, nor is there any mention of the Sahaaba (radhiallahu anhum) having maintained this position even IN salaah. However, if for a moment we do accept that this position must be adopted during the course of the salaah as well, the question is: In which posture of salaah must this position be maintained? Must it be maintained during qiyaam, ruku, sajdah and qa’dah or in only some of these postures? If one says that the ankles should be joined only in the qiyaam posture, on what basis were the other postures excluded? If it is argued that it is difficult to do so in ruku and sajdah, the same could be said for qiyaam, since to stand with one’s feet spread apart is naturally awkward and hence it presents a certain amount of difficulty and uneasiness for many people. In short, this practice is not established as a sunnah of salaah. It was merely adopted initially by the Sahaaba (radiallahu anhum) BEFORE the commencement of salaah to ensure that the rows are straight.

And Allah Ta’ala Knows Best.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.