/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslim with big ambition...

syilla
09-04-2006, 02:26 AM
:sl:

i'm not sure why...but i'm so proud of them....they are successful with big ambition. The young ones should try to follow their kind of spirits...

The first Malaysian in space
8 June 2006by Hazlin Hassan
AFP

Space hopefuls: Front L-R, Mohammed Faiz Kamaluddin and Sheikh M. Shukor, Back L-R, S. Vanajah Siva Subramaniam and Faiz Khaleed.
Image: AFP
Malaysia is being swept up in space exploration mania as four hopefuls vye to be the first Malaysian in space.

The United States has the astronaut, Russia has the cosmonaut, China has the taikonaut, and now Malaysia has the "angkasawan", as the country with a mania for record-setting prepares to blast its first citizen into space.

Malaysia's determination to seek recognition on the international stage has already seen it scrape the skies - constructing the glittering Petronas Twin Towers which until recently was the world's tallest building.

A small Muslim-majority nation with big ambitions, it hopes the space project will be an inspiration for Muslims across the globe and recall the glory days when Islamic scholars led the world in science and discovery.

The nationwide hunt to select the candidate who will hitch a ride on a Russian Soyuz spacecraft to the International Space Station in October 2007 drew tens of thousands of hopefuls.

The three men and one woman who made the shortlist have spent a month going through their paces in Moscow, undergoing an intensive course in everything from Russian language and table manners to orbital mechanics.

A battery of tests and examinations will identify the best candidate and a back-up astronaut, who will undergo 18 months of training in Star City, Moscow.

The chief of the National Space Agency, or Angkasa, Mazlan Othman said the program was an inspiration to young people in multicultural Malaysia, which strives for harmony among its ethnic Malay, Indian and Chinese communities.

"The excitement that it generates ... inspiring the young people, making them see how important it is to be good, to be healthy, it's part of the plan," she said.

"The country needs a project which the entire country can rally behind, and ... would make people aware that there are lofty ideals to be achieved."

Malaysia's space project could help encourage national unity and a sense of national identity, she said.

"And most importantly also because three of the candidates are Muslim, it's for us to also give a message to the world that Muslims are also involved in high-technology, cutting-edge science.

"We hope to inspire the rest of the Muslim world that there are things beyond the Earth." she said. "We talk about the glorious days of Islamic science, well maybe it's time we got back into that and rebuilt those glorious days."

The project was conceived in 2003 when Russia agreed to send a Malaysian to the space station as part of a billion-dollar purchase of 18 Sukhoi 30-MKM fighter jets.

It came at the end of the two-decade reign of Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad, whose think-big attitude created a national catch-phrase - "Malaysia Boleh!" or "Malaysia Can" - aimed at boosting national self-confidence and pride.

Apart from some pointless and downright silly record-setting attempts, like staging the world's biggest sit-down dinner and making the longest spring roll, the era also saw two Malaysians conquer Everest and another sail round the world.

The latest adventure has captured the imagination of ordinary Malaysians and the media has keenly reported the rigorous selection process, with some fans even organising betting pools on who will be Malaysia's first citizen in space.

A conference in Kuala Lumpur considered questions such as how Muslim astronauts could pray in space, locate Mecca while revolving around the earth, and prepare food according to "halal" standards.

And although there was initial talk of the astronauts going into space dressed into traditional batik, and with a supply of the country's favourite food - "teh tarik" a strong brew made with condensed milk and "roti canai" greasy flatbread - such talk has now been dropped for a more scientific approach.

"They have built up their confidence throughout the process, and there's been a lot of improvement in terms of communication skills," said Mazlan.

The candidates faced tests of physical endurance as well as challenges of their mental state, including swamp walks and nights spent in a palm oil plantation with snakes and mocked-up "corpses" for company.

"I lay down on that hard cold ground for what felt like an eternity. I came out of that swamp having faced my worst fears," said the sole woman cadet, S. Vanajah.

Vanajah, an ethnic Indian engineer who is the only candidate not from the majority community of Muslim Malays, said she didn't see race as as issue.

"I really don't see myself as a non-Malay or Malay. That does not play a part in this. I see myself as a Malaysian," she said adding that it was "the dream of our leaders, the dream of our nation, the dream of our people".

The other candidates in training are Malaysia Airlines pilot Mohammed Faiz Kamaluddin, 34; army dentist Faiz Khaleed, 26; and Sheikh Muszaphar Shukor, a 34-year-old hospital medical officer.

Faiz Khaleed agreed ethnicity was not important, saying that it was crucial that the "the right person, the best person go up. It might be me, it might not, but it's not about me, it's about Malaysia."

"Even if I don't get to go, I will support them, because Malaysia is going up to space, it's an historic moment," he said.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
arabiyyah
09-04-2006, 02:29 AM
very cool! thanks for the story sis! :)

north_malaysian
09-04-2006, 03:27 AM
Who was chosen Syilla, I think the PM will announce that today!!!

AHMED_GUREY
09-04-2006, 03:42 AM
masha-allah i'm proud :statisfie

more muslim countries should follow malaysia's footsteps

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
syilla
09-04-2006, 04:21 AM
Malaysia Airlines pilot Mohammed Faiz Kamaluddin....i think he is kapten dr. mohammed faiz kamaluddin. if i'm not mistaken...

syilla
09-04-2006, 04:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Who was chosen Syilla, I think the PM will announce that today!!!
i don't know...i can't wait.

i think i'm being bias....i want the handsome one to be selected :D :D

north_malaysian
09-04-2006, 04:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
Malaysia Airlines pilot Mohammed Faiz Kamaluddin....i think he is kapten dr. mohammed faiz kamaluddin. if i'm not mistaken...
oooh... thank you!!! :happy: Who's the 'stand-by' candidate?

north_malaysian
09-04-2006, 04:26 AM
i don't know...i can't wait.

i think i'm being bias....i want the handsome one to be selected :D :D
:giggling: :giggling: :giggling: many girls (including my sisters) want Dr. Muszaphar to be the 'angkasawan' because of his 'pan-asian' look!!! :giggling: :giggling: :giggling:

syedanoor
09-04-2006, 04:31 AM
salaam

^so i'm thinking he is the handsome one?;)
but this news is simply awesome! mashaAllah proud of each and everyone of them! May Allah allow them the taufeeq to fulfill such a wonderful ambition

ameen

walaikum assalaam

syilla
09-04-2006, 04:33 AM
oooh... thank you!!! :happy: Who's the 'stand-by' candidate?
oo...u misunderstood me...

i just mentioning his title...but anyway i'll check for you...

north_malaysian
09-04-2006, 04:35 AM
when PM will announce it?

syilla
09-04-2006, 04:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syedanoor
salaam

^so i'm thinking he is the handsome one?;)
but this news is simply awesome! mashaAllah proud of each and everyone of them! May Allah allow them the taufeeq to fulfill such a wonderful ambition

ameen

walaikum assalaam
:giggling: :giggling:

i don't want to mention his name...but nm is faster than me...

i don't want to be bias ... :D :D :D ....but i guess i'm just a normal human being ;D ;D

syedanoor
09-04-2006, 04:46 AM
salaam

ahaaaa so i was right ;) which one is he though:S?
hehe yes i guess it's natural...see now u got me curious :giggling:

walaikum assalaam

syilla
09-04-2006, 04:49 AM
^^

salam

when you have a look at the picture...i'm sure you can guess which one he is ;P

w'salam

syedanoor
09-04-2006, 04:52 AM
salaam

the one in the front row, right leaning frnt? am i right?
sorry mods for spamming but hey..curiousity killed the cat :giggling:

walaikum assalaam

north_malaysian
09-04-2006, 05:05 AM
That guy is a part-time model in some ads on tv .... right!!!:rollseyes

syilla
09-04-2006, 05:12 AM
^^^

i was thinking...any tips on how to bring up a son to be like him... :rolleyes:

north_malaysian
09-04-2006, 05:13 AM
^^^

i was thinking...any tips on how to bring up a son to be like him... :rolleyes:
ermmmm... to be genius like him ... or.... to be good looking like him?

syilla
09-04-2006, 05:15 AM
when PM will announce it?
i don't really know...my radio is on from morning...

do you know how they choose? what's the critera....the best of what?

north_malaysian
09-04-2006, 05:16 AM
i don't really know...my radio is on from morning...

do you know how they choose? what's the critera....the best of what?
The 4 finalists ... they'll choose from their training in Russia, I think...:rollseyes. If they conduct SMS votes for sure your ...ehemmm... favourite ..would win!!!

syilla
09-04-2006, 05:31 AM
do you know...what were the training? i really want to know...

syedanoor
09-04-2006, 05:34 AM
salaam

will someone tell me if i am right or not?

walaikum assalaam

north_malaysian
09-04-2006, 06:12 AM
do you know...what were the training? i really want to know...
Nope...sorry!!!

north_malaysian
09-04-2006, 06:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syedanoor
salaam

will someone tell me if i am right or not?

walaikum assalaam
Erm.... what's right or wrong?

snakelegs
09-04-2006, 06:36 AM
congratulations, malaysia!

syilla
09-04-2006, 07:26 AM
i already know who was choosen...

THE HANDSOME ONE....hhehehehe

and the backup guy...is the dentist guy...

isn't it a wonderful news....

syilla
09-04-2006, 07:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
congratulations, malaysia!
thank you...but only on behalf of malaysia... :D hehe...

north_malaysian
09-04-2006, 08:18 AM
i already know who was choosen...

THE HANDSOME ONE....hhehehehe

and the backup guy...is the dentist guy...

isn't it a wonderful news....
Good news for my sisters.....:giggling: :giggling: :giggling:

syilla
09-04-2006, 09:32 AM

is like having a toothpaste advertisement :giggling: :giggling:

Malaikah
09-04-2006, 09:38 AM

Girls, please! Lower your gaze! :uuh:

north_malaysian
09-04-2006, 09:40 AM

is like having a toothpaste advertisement :giggling: :giggling:
For your information (non Malaysians) the second from the left is a WOMAN.

syilla
09-04-2006, 09:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by cheese

Lol... :giggling: :giggling:

afriend2
09-04-2006, 11:48 AM

Salaam,

I'm with you on that one...*backs away* :uuh:

But please remember that this topic isn't about who's "handsome" or not. :)

Wassalam :peace:

afriend
09-04-2006, 11:53 AM
First bangladeshi in space?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

some day :p...But it's great to see Muslims doing something with their lives! We as muslims, should try to excel as much as we can :)

arabiyyah
09-04-2006, 02:58 PM
How will they pray in space? :p

Ghazi
09-04-2006, 03:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by arabiyyah
simple just prey towards earth

syilla
09-04-2006, 03:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by arabiyyah
the goverment is thinking about this too...so not to worry...

they are also discussing of how to take wudhu'...because i think there won't be even dust on the ship...

Vitor Blitz
09-04-2006, 10:30 PM
salam

I think this is wonderful news. Hopefully next step is to send muslims to the moon.

syilla
09-05-2006, 01:16 AM
ermmmm... to be genius like him ... or.... to be good looking like him?
of course to be genius like him...but it'll be a bonus if my son...get to be good looking :rolleyes:

north_malaysian
09-05-2006, 02:14 AM
of course to be genius like him...but it'll be a bonus if my son...get to be good looking :rolleyes:
Inshallah Syilla!!! Inshallah!!! Amin!!!:)

Woodrow
09-05-2006, 03:01 AM
Mashallah, it is a good step for Malaysia. A big step foreward. An excellent statement to let the world know that Malaysia is a Modern country with modern schools and foreward thinking people.

north_malaysian
09-05-2006, 03:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Mashallah, it is a good step for Malaysia. A big step foreward. An excellent statement to let the world know that Malaysia is a Modern country with modern schools and foreward thinking people.
Our schools used English language for Sciences and Mathematics subjects. They are also introducing Arabic, Mandarin and Tamil languages to all students. (Before Arabic only been taught in Islamic schools, while Mandarin only for Chinese, and Tamil for Indians).

Malaysia also currently doing a big research on bio-diesel and bio-petrol from palm oil.

Malaikah
09-05-2006, 07:07 AM
An excellent statement to let the world know that Malaysia is a Modern country with modern schools and foreward thinking people.

And hopefully, thinking forward interms of their deen and the hereafter too, and not just wasting their time and money in looking good for others in this life.

north_malaysian
09-05-2006, 08:59 AM

And hopefully, thinking forward interms of their deen and the hereafter too, and not just wasting their time and money in looking good for others in this life.
this is what most of Muslims worried of...:cry: :cry: :cry: especially morality level of Muslim youth. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Woodrow
09-05-2006, 09:20 AM
this is what most of Muslims worried of...:cry: :cry: :cry: especially morality level of Muslim youth. :cry: :cry: :cry:
That is a valid concern. But you know in reading about many of todays youth, I find that many are turning more to Allah(swt). Perhaps it is just the places I look, but I have been very impressed with the younger generations that will soon be our leaders. they seem to have more of a relationship with Allah(swt) than what was present during my youth.

north_malaysian
09-05-2006, 09:23 AM
That is a valid concern. But you know in reading about many of todays youth, I find that many are turning more to Allah(swt). Perhaps it is just the places I look, but I have been very impressed with the younger generations that will soon be our leaders. they seem to have more of a relationship with Allah(swt) than what was present during my youth.
When I was in primary schools (in the 80s), my religious teacher said.. Malaysians Muslims would be like American today in 20 years time. And now, whatever (bad morality) we have seen or heard in US 20 years ago is happening. And in 20 years in the future, Malaysians would behave like Americans today (And Malaysians took negative aspects of Americans, not the positive ones)!!!

syilla
09-05-2006, 09:28 AM
When I was in primary schools (in the 80s), my religious teacher said.. Malaysians Muslims would be like American today in 20 years time. And now, whatever (bad morality) we have seen or heard in US 20 years ago is happening. And in 20 years in the future, Malaysians would behave like Americans today (And Malaysians took negative aspects of Americans, not the positive ones)!!!
well...you must also realised that...a lot of muslims too have better quality...compared to before...

we have so many tahfiz now compared to before...and some even study engineering and medical...

and the mufti now is so outspoken...compared before...

there is some aspects of islamic improved...

and even the islamic media...has become bigger...

north_malaysian
09-05-2006, 09:33 AM
well...you must also realised that...a lot of muslims too have better quality...compared to before...

we have so many tahfiz now compared to before...and some even study engineering and medical...

and the mufti now is so outspoken...compared before...

there is some aspects of islamic improved...

and even the islamic media...has become bigger...
If we ONLY be within the religious circle - yeah it's kinda improving...

but ... try .... being with the irreligious people ... maybe Penang is so far from ya!!!!

"Gubra" is the SIGN of what Malaysian Muslims going to be. It's a hidden agenda....

I love SEPET movie... and I cant wait to watch GUBRA..... But when I've seen it .... I really felt offended :cry: :cry: :cry: even for a liberal and open minded like me....

Woodrow
09-05-2006, 09:39 AM
I believe Malaysia has the ability to offset that generation. You have an advantage we did not have during that era when it occured here. You have a leadership that is concered with morality as much as it is with productivity. You have a sufficient number of adults who are still mindfull of the days when industrialization and international trade were just words, and they have the desire to see that as it develops to avoid the errors we made in the USA. Your country has a bright future and your people do have the desire to let Allah(swt) guide your leaders. Your youth may be looking at our generation of 20 years ago, but they can see what it got them and they will not be happy with what they see.

Keep reminding your young people that if they are not happy with the USA of today, what they see is the result of what they are trying to do themselves.

With that said I still have much belief that today's youth are closer to Allah(swt) than the recent past generations. That closeness just needs to be nourished and allowed to grow.

north_malaysian
09-05-2006, 09:44 AM
I believe Malaysia has the ability to offset that generation. You have an advantage we did not have during that era when it occured here. You have a leadership that is concered with morality as much as it is with productivity. You have a sufficient number of adults who are still mindfull of the days when industrialization and international trade were just words, and they have the desire to see that as it develops to avoid the errors we made in the USA. Your country has a bright future and your people do have the desire to let Allah(swt) guide your leaders. Your youth may be looking at our generation of 20 years ago, but they can see what it got them and they will not be happy with what they see.

Keep reminding your young people that if they are not happy with the USA of today, what they see is the result of what they are trying to do themselves.

With that said I still have much belief that today's youth are closer to Allah(swt) than the recent past generations. That closeness just needs to be nourished and allowed to grow.
syilla, should we tell Woodrow about our dilemma, eg. "Lina Joy".

Woodrow
09-05-2006, 09:55 AM
syilla, should we tell Woodrow about our dilemma, eg. "Lina Joy".
Significantly, Lina Joy never applied to the Syariah Court to recognize her conversion, and instead has applied to the civil courts for marital recognition without a Syariah determination of her faith. She argues that it is not the place of any court to tell her what she believes.

I don't think it needs to be such a problem, in your country. We had similar type suits here, and to be honest our courts erred in the decisions. Hopefully your courts will be able to anticipate the outcomes from their decisions by using us as a model.

Daffodil
09-05-2006, 02:04 PM
3 men and 1 woman? astagfirullah, lets hope theyre all her brothers.

syilla
09-05-2006, 02:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Daffodil
what do you mean?

Are you thinking that all 4 of them is going... :rolleyes:

Don't worry only one will be choosen from the 4 of them... :D

they are only been shortlisted....but they have choosen 2 for another short list...

north_malaysian
09-06-2006, 01:20 AM
Significantly, Lina Joy never applied to the Syariah Court to recognize her conversion, and instead has applied to the civil courts for marital recognition without a Syariah determination of her faith. She argues that it is not the place of any court to tell her what she believes.

I don't think it needs to be such a problem, in your country. We had similar type suits here, and to be honest our courts erred in the decisions. Hopefully your courts will be able to anticipate the outcomes from their decisions by using us as a model.
It's not about Lina Joy, she can be whatever she wants.

But it's about Malays..... I'm afraid that "Natrah tragedy" will happen again...:heated: There are rumours saying that the Federal Court Judges will give decision for her... which would undermines Shariah Court jurisdiction.

north_malaysian
09-06-2006, 01:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Daffodil
No worries, she's out of the scene... we would only have 1 astronaut!

syilla
09-06-2006, 03:55 AM
Name : DR SHEIKH MUSZAPHAR SHUKOR
Date and place of birth : 27 July 1972, Kuala Lumpur
IC : 720727-14-5733
Sex : Male
Nationality : Malaysian
Address : 66-16-06 Fajaria, Jln Pantai Bharu, KL
Present Position : Trainee Lecturer Universiti
Kebangsaan Malaysia

Career History

1998 - 2006 : Medical Officer, Ministry of Health, Malaysia
Education : SPM - MRSM MARA, Muar
Qualification : MBBS in KMC Manipal, India
Master in Orthopedic Surgery in
HUKM

Sheikh Muszaphar was born in Petaling Jaya but grew up in Seremban. He attended primary school at St Paul’s, Seremban , and secondary school at MRSM Muar. He obtained his MBBS Degree at Kasturba Medical College, Manipal India in 1997.
He is in the final year Masters in Orthopedic Surgery programme and is currently a Trainee Lecturer at the Faculty of Medicine, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia. He has participated in humanitarian aid activities in Afghanistan in 2002 and Cambodia in 2003 under MERCY. He loves adventurous sports like scuba diving , horse riding and bungee jumping and was active in school sports : National swimmer in 1982; school volleyball and tennis player at MRSM Muar; won the Muar tennis championship in 1987. He won the State Story telling championship in 1984.

He is passionate about space and loves the beach and travelling. He enjoys the challenges of diversifying into various fields, to see how far he could succeed. His ultimate dream is to go to space.

His motto in life: "Believe in what you can achieve. There's no limitation in life. "

north_malaysian
09-06-2006, 05:41 AM
You're so........ supporting him. Did u mention his modelling background too?

syilla
09-06-2006, 06:33 AM

erm...i'm not really supporting him.. *backup a little bit*

*shy*

i just cut and paste... :D

Malaikah
09-06-2006, 07:49 AM

how can he be DR SHEIKH MUSZAPHAR SHUKOR and a model at the same time? :?

syilla
09-06-2006, 07:57 AM

:)

well...don't believe so much on the title...

In malaysia sheikh is just a inherit title from their ancestor. Maybe nm can explain you more on this. He is quite good with history.

north_malaysian
09-06-2006, 08:22 AM

Malays who have "Sheikh" or "Syed" on their name have Hadhrami (inhabitants of Hadhramawt, Yemen) ancestry. According to the Yemeni ambassador to Malaysia, there are at least 400,000 Malays of Hadhrami ancestry.

And his only do modelling for some tv commercials which do not involve in nudity or something haraam.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.