/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Common Mistakes in fast

mujaheda
09-05-2006, 12:07 AM
Common Mistakes

This list was taken from a class on the fiqh of Ramadan, give by Sheikh Ahmad Musa Jibril. Some of the issues may have a difference of opinion, but these are the opinions that the majority of the scholars have agreed upon. If you have any questions about the list below please tell me.

1) Focusing on food; to the extent that people begin to worry about eating more then actually fasting. This also goes along with spending tons of money on Iftaars even though a person does not need to eat that much food.

2) Making Suhoor way before Fajr. Some people eat Suhoor a few hours after Taraweeh or Isha Salah, this is wrong. It should be eaten closer to the time of Fajr.

3) People don't make Niyyah (intentions) to fast for Ramadan. This is something in the heart and does not need to be verbal. Also it only needs to be done once, at the beginning of Ramadan and not every single day.

4) If you find out late that Ramadan started, you should stop eating and fast for that day, making that day up after Ramadan/Eid ends.

5) Many people don't think you pray Taraweeh on the first night of Ramadan (such as tonight). They believe you pray it after the first day you actually fast. They forget that the Islamic calendar runs on the moon, maghrib is the start of the new day.

6) Many people believe if you eat or drink on accident this breaks your fast. This is false, if you do this on accident then you continue fasting and do not need to make up the day.

7) Some people take the opinion that if they see someone eating or drinking they should not remind the person that he/she is fasting. According to Sheikh Bin Baz (ra), this is incorrect and it is an order from Allah for us to ordain the good and forbid the evil. Thus we tell the person, because we are forbidding the evil this way.

8) Many sisters believe they cannot use Hennah while fasting. This is incorrect, they are allowed to use it during Ramadan.

9) Some people believe when you are cooking you cannot taste the food to see if it has the right spices/flavors. This is false, and allowed in Islam as long as the person cooking is not eating the food. Rather they can taste it to see if it needs salt, or more spices.

10) Many people think you cannot use a Miswak or toothbrush during Ramadan. This is false, for the Prophet(saw) used to use a miswak during Ramadan. Also you CAN use toothpaste; the reasoning by the scholars is that the Miswak has flavor, thus toothpaste is okay to use (if you are not eating it).

11) Some people make the Fajr Adhan early. They do this so people will stop eating before Fajr and not invalidate their fast. This is wrong and something we should not do.

12) Some people make the Maghrib Adhan late. They do this so people will start eating late, just incase Maghrib has not come in yet. This too is wrong and we should not do this.

13) Many many people believe you cannot have intercourse with your spouse during the whole month of Ramadan. This is false, you cannot do this only during the times when you are fasting. Between Maghrib and Fajr it is permissible to do.

14) Many women believe that if their period has just ended and they did not make ghusl, they cannot fast that day (considering their period ended at night, and they went to bed without Ghusl, waking up without having a chance to make it). This is incorrect, if a women has not made Ghusl she can still fast.

15) Many men believe that if he has had intercourse with his wife and did not make ghusl (similar to the above) then he cannot fast the next morning. This is also incorrect, for he can fast even if he has not made Ghusl.

16) Some people pray Dhur and Asr prayers together during Ramadan. (mainly in Arab countries) This is incorrect and should be avoided.

17) Some people believe you cannot eat until the Muadthin is done calling the Maghrib Adthan. This is incorrect, as soon as he starts a person can break their fast.

18) Many people don't take advantage of making dua before they break their fast. This is one of the three times when Allah accepts a person dua.

19) Many people make the mistake of spending the later part of Ramadan preparing for Eid, neglecting Ramadan. This is incorrect and these people lose the concept of what Ramadan is about.

20) Many parents do not let their children fast during Ramadan (young children). This is something counter productive to a child. By allowing him to fast he will grow up to know he must do this act.

21) Many people think Ramadan is just about not eating and forget about controlling their tempers and watching what they say. In actuality we are supposed to control our tempers and mouths even more during Ramadan.

22) People often waste their time during Ramadan. They go to sleep during the day and get nothing done. We should be taking advantage of this blessed month by doing extra Ibaadat.

23) Some people don't go on trips or travel during Ramadan. They think they have to break their fast when traveling. This is actually optional, if you want to break your fast while traveling you can (with making it up later), and if you don't you can continue fasting.

24) Many people who are able don't make Itikaaf at the masjid. We should take advantage of our good health and spend lots of time at the Masjid, especially the last 10 days of Ramadan.

25) Some people believe they cannot cut their hair or nails during Ramadan. This is also false.

26) Some people say you cannot swallow your spit during Ramadan. This too is false. However you cannot swallow mucus that has entered your mouth.

27) Some people say you cannot use scented oils or perfumes during Ramadan. This too is false.

28) Some people believe bleeding breaks the fast. This is not true.

29) Some people believe if you throw up on accident it breaks your fast. This is not true, however if you do it intentionally it does.

30) Some people think you cannot put water in your nose and mouth during wuduh in Ramadan. This too is incorrect.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
syilla
09-05-2006, 01:31 AM
:sl:

jazakallah khayr...good post...reps 4 u.

:w:

north_malaysian
09-05-2006, 09:48 AM
For Suhoor ... I'll eat something (usually burger or sandwich) at 3.00 AM, then I'll wake up again 20 mins before Fajr just to drink 2 glasses of plain water

MusLiM 4 LiFe
09-05-2006, 07:11 PM
Also it only needs to be done once, at the beginning of Ramadan and not every single day.

i thort u nid 2 make niyaah every day after suhoor :?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MusLiM 4 LiFe
09-05-2006, 07:12 PM
29) Some people believe if you throw up on accident it breaks your fast. This is not true, however if you do it intentionally it does.

why wud u do dat? :?

syilla
09-06-2006, 02:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by MusLiM 4 LiFe
Also it only needs to be done once, at the beginning of Ramadan and not every single day.

i thort u nid 2 make niyaah every day after suhoor :?
you can do both...

but it is better u do it once..at the begining of Ramadhan...with niyaah that you are fasting for a whole month...

Because as a human being we sometimes forget to do the niyaah...

------
09-06-2006, 12:18 PM

Interesting post... Very Informative... Jazakallah Khair.

amirah_87
09-06-2006, 01:04 PM
As salaamu alaykum,

30) Some people think you cannot put water in your nose and mouth during wuduh in Ramadan. This too is incorrect.
Yeah, your allowed to insert the water into your mouth and nose but without allowing the water to go down into your throat!!

And Allah knows best!!

Thanx for the info Sis!

MusLiM 4 LiFe
09-08-2006, 09:12 PM
btw any evidence n sources 4 da ting?

Muslimgirl01
09-13-2006, 09:58 AM
Jazakallah for the info...

------
09-13-2006, 10:08 AM
9) Some people believe when you are cooking you cannot taste the food to see if it has the right spices/flavors. This is false, and allowed in Islam as long as the person cooking is not eating the food. Rather they can taste it to see if it needs salt, or more spices.
Hmmmmmmmm....... :-\

manaal
09-13-2006, 12:03 PM
Good one. Masha Allah, my mom & dad have taught me most of the things said here and I was haapy while reading it that I have not made these mistakes but I know a lot of people who do, but do not like to accept it when they are corrected.

Vaseline
09-15-2006, 11:26 AM
I am just a bit "uhhh..." on the spice testing (as one person mentioned above) and on the ghusl after menstruation/intercourse. Don't you need to be pure in order to ave your fast accepted? Do you have a link?

manaal
09-16-2006, 07:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Vaseline
I am just a bit "uhhh..." on the spice testing (as one person mentioned above) and on the ghusl after menstruation/intercourse. Don't you need to be pure in order to ave your fast accepted? Do you have a link?
If you wake uo for suhr and one finds that herr period is over, I guess she could have her suhur and bathe afterwards as soon as possible, because she has to start praying immediately and without ghusul she can't pray.
So she can strat fasting, but should perform ghusul as soon as she can.

As for spice tasting... tasting is permissable as long as the food is not swallowed .

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-16-2006, 08:03 PM
Salaam
Mashallah this is an excellent and beneficial post. You deserve reps =D
w/salaam

~*~Serene~*~
09-18-2006, 09:51 PM
jazakallahu khairan

yilanqinqin
09-19-2006, 08:13 AM
10) Many people think you cannot use a Miswak or toothbrush during Ramadan. This is false, for the Prophet(saw) used to use a miswak during Ramadan. Also you CAN use toothpaste; the reasoning by the scholars is that the Miswak has flavor, thus toothpaste is okay to use (if you are not eating it).
can you tell me : is it allowed to use toothpaste at the daytime?

Some people think you cannot put water in your nose and mouth during wuduh in Ramadan. This too is incorrect.

if it means deeply you cannot put water in your nose and mouth during wuduh in Ramadan ? true or false?

Malaikah
09-20-2006, 02:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Vaseline

theres a hadith in bukhari that the prophet used to have intercourse and not do ghusl until after fajr, meaning he started his fast in an impure state but you cant spend that whole fast like becuase you have to pray!!!! he used to make ghusl before he prayed fajr

also there is a hadith that one of the companions used to taste his food when he was cooking, but without eating it!! im note sure if he used to spit it our or something but it seems like the safe thing to do

format_quote Originally Posted by yilanqinqin
can you tell me : is it allowed to use toothpaste at the daytime?

if it means deeply you cannot put water in your nose and mouth during wuduh in Ramadan ? true or false?
yes about toothpaste because the prophet used to use miswak while he was fasting, and there is a hadith where the prophet said 'exagerate in sniffing water into your nose when making wudu except while fasting' this is because you might accidently sniff the water too high and end up swallowing it

syilla
09-10-2007, 05:29 AM
*bump

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.