/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Omagh Terrorist goes on trial

Isaac
09-06-2006, 09:38 AM
Omagh Terrorist suspect goes on trial

A court artist's drawing of Sean Gerard Hoey
A man accused of the murders of 29 people in the Omagh bombing is due to go on trial in Northern Ireland.
The Omagh car bombing on 15 August 1998 was the worst single terrorist atrocity in Northern Ireland. A woman pregnant with twins was among those killed.

Sean Gerard Hoey, 36, an electrician of Molly Road, Jonesborough, Armagh, has denied all charges.

He faces 58 charges including five other bombings, four bomb conspiracies, and six murder conspiracies.

The trial before Mr Justice Weir in Belfast is expected to be one of the last major non-jury trials in Northern Ireland.

It is expected to last for about 14 weeks.

Victims' families have requested the provision of a videolink system in Omagh during the court proceedings.

The Court Service said the judge had asked the court administration to look into what facilities might be provided.

"It was accepted that these could not be put in place by Wednesday," it said in a statement.

"Options are currently being investigated by Northern Ireland Court Service officials."

Many of the relatives have travelled to Belfast for the opening day of the trial on Wednesday.

The accused has been in custody for about three years.

He is the only person to be charged with murder in connection with the bombing.

"Homegrown terrorist" is the word they use.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Isaac
09-06-2006, 10:17 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/5317414.stm

BBC NEWS. Sorry

Muezzin
09-06-2006, 02:32 PM
Curse these Irish extremists!

(I'm joking. Curse mad bomber-types)

UmmSqueakster
09-06-2006, 03:19 PM
:sl:

How quickly the western world forgets their not so sparkling past. My husband and I watched Michael Collins a bit ago and were stunned at the language and methods used by Irish freedom fighters. I'm not sure how historically accurate the movie is, although it's on my list of things to find out eventually inshaAllah.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.