/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Am I stupid??

QuranStudy
09-07-2006, 01:34 AM
Here is the situation. Today after school, I walk out to the parking lot and I saw this honda civic approching me. Driver stopped and said

He: "Excuse me sir, I need your help, please. I don't have any money for gas to made it up to the city and blah, blah, blah."
Me: "I am sorry I don't have any money."

He: "Just a dollar or two. It's not much."
Me: "Okay" [I took out 2 dollars]
He: [While handling him the 2 dollars] I really need it so I can visit my sick mother.......blah, blah, blah.

He: Thank you, very much sir.

Then when I was in my car I saw him asking another person. So, I guess he is collecting enough for gas or something else.

Till now, I don't understand why I handed him money for no reason. He could be lying and need it for something else. Well, what I have in my mind is that one day something like that could happen to me and good deeds I do will come back to help me. I don't know if I did the right thing or not??? Or am I stupid??

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Hayaat
09-07-2006, 01:40 AM
if youre intention was for the good, then inshaAllah you'll get ajar, good deeds for it

plus now hopefully the person will have a better view of Muslims

So no i dont think your stupid

Umu 'Isa
09-07-2006, 01:41 AM
:sl:
i think you did the right thing, give him benefit of the doubt. Maybe he was telling the truth.

syilla
09-07-2006, 02:09 AM
^^^yes...i agree with you.

you're not stupid...you have done the right thing.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
*Hana*
09-07-2006, 02:19 AM
Salam Alaikum Brother:

I agree with everyone else, it's not stupid at all. You never know how a small gesture will effect another person. If he was lying...perhaps thinking of all the people he took advantage of will change him one day and he will become charitable himself. If he was telling truth, then imagine how much of an impact you had on his day. :D

Giving for the right reasons is never bad, brother.

Jazak Allah Khair for the kindness you showed this person. :)

Wa'alaikum salam,
Hana

Ghazi
09-07-2006, 02:46 AM

seems harmless u can't buy gas for 2 dollars can ya, but also u must watch out for fraudsters who prey on peoples kindness, for example they're known gangs who stand out side masjids in the uk knowing full well that muslims are feeling generous and will give money so inshallah to the people in the uk watch out this ramadan i was caught of gaurd last year it was only when a brother informed me they're a gang that i clicked on.

~Stranger~
09-07-2006, 05:44 AM
but 2 dollars isnt much, is it??

and i think u r not stupid, a small deed like this could help u enter janahh insha'allah

glo
09-07-2006, 06:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by QuranStudy
Here is the situation. Today after school, I walk out to the parking lot and I saw this honda civic approching me. Driver stopped and said

He: "Excuse me sir, I need your help, please. I don't have any money for gas to made it up to the city and blah, blah, blah."

He: [While handling him the 2 dollars] I really need it so I can visit my sick mother.......blah, blah, blah.

Then when I was in my car I saw him asking another person. So, I guess he is collecting enough for gas or something else.

Till now, I don't understand why I handed him money for no reason. He could be lying and need it for something else. Well, what I have in my mind is that one day something like that could happen to me and good deeds I do will come back to help me. I don't know if I did the right thing or not??? Or am I stupid??
Hi QuranStudy

No, you are not stupid. You are caring and charitable! :)

I have come across situations like that.
For example, people asking for money for the bus.

I always give them the benefit of the doubt and give money, if I can. If I see them later asking other people the same thing, I think 'oh well, I hope s/he puts the money to good use!'

Generally though, if people are asing for maney under false pretences, there is a concern that they may use the gathered money for drugs or alcohol - so by giving money you are not actually doing them any favours.

So if somebody asks for money to buy some food, I may be more helpful if I bought him/her some food, instead of giving money.
If somebody asks for money for the bus fare, I may be more helpful if I bought him/her a bus ticket.

Of course, in your scenario that wasn't really an option.

If I was you, I would pray for that guy, because regardless of whether he has just run out of gas or he is trying to get money for another purpose, he is a man in need! That should be enough to justify a prayer on his behalf ... don't you think?

Peace :)

Keltoi
09-07-2006, 04:41 PM
Many of these people are "panhandlers", they frequent bus stops and other places with alot of traffic to ask for money. Usually it is for gas to reach a city, or they need food, etc. It is hard sometimes to tell the difference between someone with a sincere problem or one who is panhandling. In most cases if I have a little extra money I will give it to them, but I do tend to feel like a sucker when I do.

Jayda
09-07-2006, 04:47 PM

I think when people approach you like that unexpectedly and ask you for some kind of help... which is also unexpect you can get kind of hijacked... like you just give them whatever they want and dont even think about it... it happens to me a lot with people handing out scientology pamphlets over on broadway...

QuranStudy
09-07-2006, 04:56 PM
people handing out scientology pamphlets over on broadway...
LOL, people actually do that??

Jayda
09-07-2006, 04:59 PM
LOL, people actually do that??
yes... they have a church in new york (bronx maybe?) somewhere and they go all over manhattan to the places tourists would be and they hand out pamplets...

Kidman
09-07-2006, 05:31 PM
Your not stupid, but if you see him doing it again, go up to him and ask for your 2 dollars back.. haha

Muezzin
09-07-2006, 07:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
Many of these people are "panhandlers", they frequent bus stops and other places with alot of traffic to ask for money. Usually it is for gas to reach a city, or they need food, etc. It is hard sometimes to tell the difference between someone with a sincere problem or one who is panhandling. In most cases if I have a little extra money I will give it to them, but I do tend to feel like a sucker when I do.
I tend to agree.

I don't think you were stupid, QuranStudy - perhaps a little naive, but then aren't we all? End of the day, it's your money, and you don't have to give it to him. If you're absolutely sure in your mind that he'll use it for what he says he needs it for, the choice is yours.

snakelegs
09-08-2006, 12:14 AM
i am kind of sexist - i always give money to women homeless because i realize it must be much more difficult - and dangerous - to be a woman on the streets.

Umm Yoosuf
09-08-2006, 12:47 AM
Assalaamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatulaahi Wa Barakatuh

No, I don’t think your stupid rather innocent. Generally one see’s others begging on the streets be they alcoholics, drug dealers etc So you need to be alert to whom you you’re your money. I see this “disabled woman” always begging, now living in the England one is aware that, disabled people are finically supported by the government, they have shelter and food, thus there’s no need for them to beg out in the streets. So how though people feel sympathy for her and give a bit of change, I say keep your money save in your pocket!

I while back I went to a talk (I can’t remember the speaker) he said if someone is begging on the streets asking you for money- one does not know what you’ll use it for. Therefore don’t just give money to them, you never know they could buy some drugs or alcohol and it will be in your shoulder on the Day of Judgment so instead offer them food etc.

And believe it or not it works. Once this woman run after me calling out "Sister! Sister!". I asked her what she wanted. She said :" I can you spare me some change plz". I asked what she needed it for. She said: "I am Hungry". I offered to buy her food and asked her to come with me and she refused. So I said to her "It must be for drugs then?" She turned away and letf.

So you have to be careful who you give your "bit of change to" Insha Allah.

Allah Knows Best

`Abd al-Azeez
09-08-2006, 12:54 AM

No brother, of course your not stupid, you can't be stupid for having a good heart :)

:w:

QuranStudy
09-08-2006, 01:01 AM
Wow, thanks for the kind words everyone! I usually hate it when I get scammed.

brainiac
09-08-2006, 01:07 AM
Here is the situation... I don't know if I did the right thing or not??? Or am I stupid??

You don't really want me to answer this, do you ?;D

QuranStudy
09-08-2006, 01:08 AM
You don't really want me to answer this, do you ?
I think I heard the input of the majority :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.