/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Doing good deeds

glo
09-07-2006, 06:41 AM
I would like to hear what makes people do good to each other?
Reading some of the threads here, Islam seems to put a great emphasis on doing good because it will be rewarded in the afterlife.

Not all people believe in such a reward in the afterlife, and yet doing good is a human attribute not just present in 'religious' people.
So I am interested to hear what makes us do it?

Here are my reasons for doing good:
  • It pleases God
  • Jesus set us an example to do good
  • God has given us a desire and joy to do good
  • I can empathise with my fellow human beings, and can therefore relate to their suffering
  • It is fun to see people happy

What are your views? Any other reasons?

Peace :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
lolwatever
09-07-2006, 06:45 AM
I dunno if its a good idea 2 show off our good (or even bad) deeds, but here's the 2 basics that hav to be fulfilled for an action to be classified 'as a good deed'.

1. It must be in agreement with what Allah has revealed in Quran and Hadith.
2. The fundamental intention must be to please Allah only (not to seek erpute or fame or complements from people).

I think there's one final one that some scholars mentioned, but i cant seem to recall.

take care all the best :)

F.Y.
09-07-2006, 09:24 AM
1. For the sake of Allah
2. The Prophets were all good examples of the peace that can occur within us and society at large when we focus on doing good
3. It makes me feel like I can affect someone in a positive way and I can change the world in minor but nevertheless positive ways
4. I like seeing people smiling and happy :)
5. Also with the negative reputation we have its nice to see the gobsmacked look on someones face when you do something nice for them
6. I feel like we are all humans - we all have the same feelings and emotions. I like making a difference to people.

Umar001
09-07-2006, 12:40 PM
I think,

With regards to saying:

"Islam seems to put a great emphasis on doing good because it will be rewarded in the afterlife."

I think this is a great blessings, as a child, first does good deeds because he or she wants a little sweet from Mom or Dad, then as the Child grows he gets to know what his/her parents have done for him/her, and does the deeds out of love.

For me, I think there is a great wisdom in Islam's do good deeds and get reward, reason being, that alot of people, especially new to Islam, may not KNOW God, thus they cant fully understand their situations nor the blessing he has givent hem, they dont love him as much as they should, so the rewards for good deeds is like a help for them, they do good deeds to get reward. And as their knowledge grows, they understand the blessings, they try to count them and see the kindness of God, then they love God and do them to earn His Love.

I think also, God, has given us bodies, told us to do good, and then rewards us for the Good, like someone giving you a cab, telling you to work, and then keep the earnings. Big Blessing.

"Not all people believe in such a reward in the afterlife, and yet doing good is a human attribute not just present in 'religious' people."

I think, it may go back to religion, meaning such as the laws of land are similar to that of religions, i think this maybe like that. In the same way that society changes, I think that these things like basic good deed things are something which has changed and keeps parallel to society.

As knowing that God is one is a thing basic to humans, also I PERSONALLY think being Nice is natural to humans.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
QuranStudy
09-07-2006, 01:36 PM
Depends in what you mean by "good deeds." From my view "good deeds" that may/may not involve religion is charity.

^..sTr!vEr..^
09-07-2006, 01:44 PM
It makes Allah happy..who needs more ;)

sonz
09-07-2006, 02:15 PM
non-muslim who does good deeds is rewarded in this world and muslim who does good deeds is rewarded on this world and in the hereafter cuz his intention is for sake of allah

chk this

Explaining the type of reward granted to such people, the Kuwaiti Encyclopedia of Islamic Jurisprudence makes it clear that there is surely a reward in this world for people who, despite lacking iman (belief), contribute to the progress of mankind, are good by nature, giving charity…etc. But the criterion for getting reward in the Hereafter is belief. This is based on the Hadith, in which the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, states: “Allah never disregards a good deed of a believer; he reward him for it in this world and in the Hereafter. As for a disbeliever, he is rewarded for the good deeds in this world so that when he is in the Afterlife, no more reward will be there for him.”.

Almighty Allah also says: “ Whoso desireth the life of the world and its pomp, We shall repay them their deeds herein, and therein they will not be wronged. Those are they for whom is naught in the Hereafter save the Fire. (All) that they contrive here is vain and (all) that they are wont to do is fruitless.” (Hud: 15-16)

All these Qur’anic verses make it clear that both a believer and a disbeliever get reward in this life for their good deeds. However, there is another reward for a believer in the Hereafter while a disbeliever is denied such a reward, due to his disbelief. Muslim reported that `Aisha, may Allah be pleased, asked the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him: “O Messenger of Allah! It was the trait of Ibn Jud`aan in pre-Islamic period to feed the needy and keep ties of kinship, will he benefit from these good deeds?(in the Hereafter)” The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, said: “No, for he never said: ‘My Lord! Forgive my sin on the Day of Judgment’” i.e. he was doing all that while insisting on disbelief.”

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503545308

Umar001
09-07-2006, 06:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ^..sTr!vEr..^
It makes Allah happy..who needs more ;)
If you dont want your good deeds I need them!

Abdul Fattah
09-07-2006, 10:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I would like to hear what makes people do good to each other?
Reading some of the threads here, Islam seems to put a great emphasis on doing good because it will be rewarded in the afterlife.

Not all people believe in such a reward in the afterlife, and yet doing good is a human attribute not just present in 'religious' people.
So I am interested to hear what makes us do it?

Here are my reasons for doing good:
  • It pleases God
  • Jesus set us an example to do good
  • God has given us a desire and joy to do good
  • I can empathise with my fellow human beings, and can therefore relate to their suffering
  • It is fun to see people happy

What are your views? Any other reasons?

Peace :)
There can be many reasons for a thing, and each reason might have it subreasons, in the end it becomes a complex webs of motivations, each with their own priority and charesteristics. This is how I think the priority should be in an ideal situation.

Why do good?
*Simple obiediance, because we are told to do so.
But with what motivation do we do as we are told? (not necesairly in this order)
*Being consequent with our beliefs (do what you think is the right thing to do which brings us back to the previous question)
*Out of thankfullness for what we've been given
*Respectfull for our creator (knowing ones positions, it's natural for the created to comply to the will of creator)
*Fearfull for punishment and or hopefull for reward both as well in this life as in the next)
*Direct beneficial concequences of the good conduct.
*Agreement with devine ideology and motivation (to the extend we can comprehend it)

wilberhum
09-07-2006, 11:20 PM
I think doing good things is necessary for a good life.
And that’s good enough for me.

snakelegs
09-08-2006, 12:24 AM
out of selfishness.
it is a good feeling and it makes me happy to do things for others and to see them happy.
actually, i think we are born with an innate sense of goodness.

glo
09-08-2006, 05:44 AM
Thanks guys.

It seems that - despite any other reasons we may have to motivate us - we just enjoy doing good and seeing other people happy! :statisfie

Now there's a cheery thought to start the day with ... :)

Peace

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.