/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Gelatin in Natural Factors Products---Is it haram?

Dr. Jawad
09-08-2006, 02:41 PM
Can someone please tell me that the vitamins and herbal medicines that have capsules coated with gelatin, are they haram? Gelatin is mainly made from pork and animal products. If a person works in a store where there are such medicines, is he doing a "halaal" job? If it is not halaal, then of course buying such medicines and selling them is not permissible either, right?

On the contrary, I know though I am not sure that alcohol mixed in allopathic medicine is permissible for us Muslims. Now if alcohol is permissible, what about pork?

How can I know for sure if these products are haram or halal? I believe if one consults Natural Factors or Good n Natural Customer Representatives, they won't be honest in telling the actual source of gelatin.

If you could tell me as soon as possible, that would be of great help.

Jazakallah

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Snowflake
09-09-2006, 04:41 PM
Yes, up until recently soft capsules were made with pork/beef gelatin. But with mounting presure from vegetarian societies, more and more health food companies are now making capsules from vegetable sources. I know Boots have vegan brands at their stores.

In general if a product isn't labelled as 'suitable for vegetarians/vegans' or have the V sign, then most likely it is haraam.

Not sure about the rest..sorry.

akulion
09-09-2006, 04:48 PM
if ur too worried about the cpsules

just open em up and eat the powder inside

oh and i forgot to mention one thing:

Medicinal Capsules are HALAL because they are manufactured using raw materials and not from animal products

so they are synthetically composed of chemicals

syilla
09-09-2006, 04:48 PM
source http://www.halalgelatine.com/

The word gelatine (also called gelatin) is taken from the Latin "gelatus," which means stiff or frozen. Gelatine is basically a processed and refined animal protein, derived from bones, hides and collagenous connective tissues. It has a variety of industrial applications especially those related to food processing, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics & toiletries, photography, printing and many more.

Gelatine's have a very unique nature and this substance function is to be an agent for :-

stabilising & binding
thickening & platicizing
emusification & foaming
For example, the gelatine's are suitable for gelling, thickening and stabilising dishes and gives them their creamy consistency. It plays a major role in the modern food industry.

For the Muslims community, availability of HALAL GELATIN is a very sensitive issue to ensure the consumption of genuinely Halal quality products.

The process
Gelatine is obtained by boiling the skin, tendons, and ligaments of animals. After the process known as hydrolysis, it contains protein, collagen (a primary component of joints and cartilage), and various amino acids.
It’s the ingredients for providing support for :-

Soft candies such as Gummi Bears
Delicious desserts such as cheesecake, Ice cream, chocolates
Fruits juices
Daily salads with some sauces
Frozen drinks
Functionality
Gelatine is primarily used as a gelling agent [319] forming transparent elastic thermoreversible gels on cooling below about 35°C, which dissolve at low temperature to give 'melt in the mouth' products with useful flavour-release.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When talking about lawful food and drink in Islam, there are two words that always come up, Halal and Haram. The opposite of Halal is Haram, which means unlawful or prohibited as written clearly in the Qur'an. So, ever wonder about what you eat whether it’s halal or not?

Sometimes, it’s much easier if we just choose to eat only fish, right? Because it’s halal and you don’t have to worry about anything else. But for how long? After a day or two, you start looking for chicken, beef etc… Then you start to wonder again, whether it’s slaughtered in syari’ah way or not?, follow the Islamic law? Somehow, your mind will still be full of curiosity. Read more...

What about desserts? Ever wonder whether it’s halal or not? I must say this, 90% of ingredients in any desserts, used GELATINE. And most of the gelatines are made from pigs and if it’s from a cow, it is unsure whether it’s been slaughtered according to Islamic law/syariah that called Zabihah, which I mentioned earlier.

WORRY! WORRY! WORRY!

The production of cakes, puddings, ice cream, jelly, frozen salad, chocolates, gummies and many-many more delicious desserts, used GELATINE FROM PIGS because it's a lot cheaper!!!

Owner of any muslim restaurant around the world, please!, please BE MORE RESPONSIBLE towards this matter!. As the chef, you must know whether what you’re serving is HALAL or not. You may be serving just simple puddings or slices of cakes or even a scoop of ice cream for desserts, but a big responsiblity towards Islam law, lies in your hands!

Mothers, housewives please BE MORE RESPONSIBLE towards your family!. Always ask yourselves, is it halal?. You need to be sure what you’re serving to your family or your children. It must be HALAL FOOD! Check here for some desserts recipe.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you all think the pig fats or any animal that is not certified halal by the Islamic Development Department, only use in food? DONT BE SURPRISED...it's also have in many-many other things, daily used things that we didn't expected it.

These are some other products that have gelatines in it:

Film Negatives
Softgel Capsule
All kinds of toothpaste
Appromaxely all beauty cosmetic
All perfumes
Bath soap and fabric softener
Body, hand and feet lotions
"ASTARGFIRULLAH! BE VERY CAREFUL MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS! The fact is, our IMAN are already weaked enough and it will easily CRUSHED by only eating unlawful food and using anything that HARAM. That is why it's FORBIDDEN in Islam!"

WHAT IS THE SOLUTIONS

"Now, you start to feel worried after you've discovered that all the desserts you've been eating all these years is HARAM isn't it? ...there's so many daily use things also haram! I also really worried..."

To make matters worst, the amount of halal gelatin manufactured in the world is also very limited. And not all gelatin that says halal are truly halal. And because of that we muslims have to be EXTRA CAREFUL and BE ALERT in choosing and buying food.

--------------edited

Why is it so difficult for you to accept the fact? Why are you still haven't change? Are you willing to continue eating the food that full of haram's ingredients? Still willingly using your daily use the one that you know coated with pig fats?
Doesn't it enough that we already sinful and we want to add more? Don't you ever think that this is one of the way of lies and deceptions that used by the people of infidelity trying to twist around our belief in more of delicate way?! Why do we have to bow to satan's persuations? ...bow to them? NO!

Don't you be sceptical, NO MORE! Think of your family and child. Give them a chance to grow in a healthy environment and a much better life. Think of the future of our world. Educate your childrens to eat hygiene, healthy and good food...further more, EAT HALAL!

"SO...BE ALERT, dont simply believe with all kinds of food that have haram gelatine...don't fall to those tricks! ...CHOOSE HALAL, CHOOSE HALAL GELATINE!!!"

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
akulion
09-09-2006, 05:07 PM
like i said eat the powder

syilla
09-09-2006, 05:22 PM
Lard All forms should be avoided except for Plant/Microbial/Synthetic.

The fat of pigs or hogs melted down and made clear. Lard is made especially of the internal fat of the abdomen and is used in cooking.
(Source: World Book Dictionary Millennium 2000 Edition)

Gelatin An odorless, tasteless, protein substance like glue or jelly obtained by boiling the bones, hoofs, and other waste parts of animals. It dissolves easily in hot water and is used in making jellied salads and desserts, camera film, and glue.

Pepsin An enzyme in the gastric juice of the stomach that helps to digest meat, eggs, cheese, and other proteins.

Enzymes Microbial Enzymes are okay

A protein substance produced in living cells, that influences a chemical reaction within a plant Or animal without being changed itself an organic catalyst. Enzymes help break down food so that it can be digested. Pepsin is an enzyme.

Rennet Substance containing rennin, obtained from the stomach of a calf or other ruminant, used for curdling milk in making cheese and junket.

Whey Should be avoided unless it is made using vegetables.
The watery part of milk that separates from the curd when milk sours and becomes coagulated or when cheese is made.
Rennet is used to curd the milk. Whey should be avoided because the rennet used to curd the milk could be from a haram or non-Zabihah animal.

Vanilla Extract A flavoring extract made from the vanilla bean and used in candy, ice cream, and perfumes.
The flavor extracted from vanilla beans is soluble only in alcohol. Documentation from a distributor of vanilla extract shows that the ingredient contains over 50% alcohol.

akulion
09-09-2006, 05:27 PM
its cheaper to manufacture though since for industrial purposes they need a constant supply of a certain quality

so relying on animal goods will not produce consistent quality

akulion
09-09-2006, 05:31 PM
for more on gelatin manufacturing please refer to

http://www.gelatin-gmia.com/html/gelatine_health.html

Dr. Jawad
09-09-2006, 05:33 PM
Jazakallah that was very helpful and informative.

Brother(Akulion), its not the matter of eating it only(the powder) but people who are running businesses or working in such shops who sell these products to other Muslims.

I also did some research on this topic and with help of some brothers I found the following information:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the gelatine is derived from any part of an animal which can be consumed according to Shariah, e.g. cow, camel, sheep, goat, etc. and slaughtered according to Shariah, it will be permissible. If the
animal cannot be consumed according to Shariah, or was not slaughtered according to Shariah, the gelatine from such an animal will not be permissible. However, if it undergoes a complete change of metamorphosis (Tabdeel-e-Maahiyyat), the gelatine will be permissible. i.e. if metamorphosis takes place in pork gelatine or gelatine derived from an animal not slaughtered according to Shariah, it will be Halaal.

If it does not undergo a complete change, it is not permissible to use it or sell it. The income will be Haraam. However, in a state of Idhtiraar (desperation), one will be excused to use it if there is no alternative and prescribed by a Physician. The state of desperation must be confirmed by a reliable Mufti.

And Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

Mufti Ebrahim Desai
FATWA DEPT

------------------------------------------------------------------

Gelatine is an animal protein substance having gel-forming properties, and
is used primarily in food products. It is derived from collagen, a protein
found in animal skin and bone. This means that gelatine can be derived from
animal skin or animal bone.

B. The Basic Rule of the Shari`ah:

The shari`ah rule about animal skin differs from that of animal bone:
SKIN: Animal skin or anything made from it can be considered tahir
(pak) only if the animal had been slaughtered Islamically.
Consequently, the gelatine derived from animal skin would be
considered najis unless we know that the animal had been slaughtered
Islamically. [Those present-day mujtahids who consider the animal
slaughtered unIslamically as tahir but haram -- their opinion does not
affect this answer that much because in their opinion, even if that animal
skin is tahir, it is still haram for consumption by human beings.]

BONE: Animal bone is considered tahir even if the animal had not
been slaughtered Islamically. Bones have been exempted from the rule of
maytah [i.e., an animal slaughtered unIslamically or died by itself].
However, this does not include the bones of pigs and dogs. (See Minhaju
's-Salihiyn [vol. 1, p. 109 and vol. 2, p. 336] of the late Sayyid al-Khu`i
and al-`Urwatu 'l-Wuthqa, p. 20-21)
Consequently, the gelatine derived from animal bones (other than
pigs and dogs) is tahir even if the animal was not slaughtered Islamically.

C. The Practical Problem:

Having stated the above, we are faced with a practical problem: The
labels on food products do not specify whether the gelatine was derived from
animal skin or animal bones. So what should we do? Can we assume that it has
been derived from animal bones and consider it tahir or not?
When I sent this question to the late Ayatullah al-Khu`i in December
1989, he replied: "Yes, it can be considered tahir." This answer is based on
the shari`ah principle that if an item can originate from two sources: one
pak and other najis -- in cases of ambiguity, you can assume that it is pak.

D. Accepted that it is tahir; but is it also halal?

There are some people who would not be satisfied with the answer of
Ayatullah al-Khu`i and pose the following question: "Accepted that it is
tahir (pak); but is it halal for consumption as food item?" In my question
to Ayatullah al-Khu`i, I gave the example of cheese and sweets with
gelatine. It is quite obvious that I was asking the late marja` about eating
those items, and not just touching and feeling them!!!

However, to satisfy those who would like to see the words "halal and
religously eatable," I will quote a detailed answer of the Ayatullah
al-Khu`i to three questions sent to him from London.
Q. Is gelatine derived from dog or pig tahir?
Is gelatine derived from halal animals (like cows, goats, etc)
but not slaughtered according to shari`a tahir?
Is gelatine derived from non-halal animals other than dog or pig,
tahir?

A. "If a najis or haram matter from any category whatsoever changes
into another than its original category, then it is considered tahir as long
as it did not come into contact with another source of najasat. And the rule
for gelatine in all the three cases is same as what we have mentioned above.

"But in case the gelatine does not change, then:
"If it is derived from parts of dogs and pigs or an animal which
feeds on human excrement and has not been quarantined, then it is haram
and najis.
"Similarly, [it is haram and najis] if it is derived from those
parts of the maytah which are other than its bones.
"But if the gelatine is derived from the bones of other than dogs
and pigs, and has not become najis because of a secondary najasat, then it is
permissible to eat it and eat whatever has been mixed and submerged into
it."
The last paragraph of Ayatullah al-Khu`i's answer fully supports
what I had written in Shama in Janaury 1989.

E. Issue of Istihalah in Gelatine:

In the first part of Ayatullah Khu'i's answer, he says: "If a najis
or haram matter from ANY CATEGORY whatsoever changes into another than its
original category, then it is considered tahir as long as it did not come
into contact with another source of najasat." This is based on the rule of
istihalah -- chemical change which makes a najis item tahir (mutahhirat).

To know if such a change occures in the final product known as
gelatine, we have to refer to the experts of food industry. After my article
was published, a brother from Minnesota, USA, was kind enough to send for me
a copy of an hand-out distributed by General Foods (the manufacturer of
Jell-o, the gelatin dessert). A paragraph in that hand-out, in my opinion,
clearly gives the expert's view about the chemical change (istihalah) which
takes place in manufacturing of gelatine. While reading the below quotation,
keep in mind that these people do not have the slightest clue about the
issue of istihalah in our shari`ah! It says:

"It is interesting to note that during manufacture of gelatin,
chemical changes take place so that, in the final gelatin product, the
composition and identity of the original material is completely eliminated.
Because of this, gelatin is not considered a meat food product by the United
States government. The plant is under supervision of the Federal Food and
Drug Admininstration. If the government considered gelatin a meat food
product, the plant would operate under the Meat Inspection Branch of the
Department of Agriculture." (From General Foods Corp. New York.)

If this is not istihalah, then what is it?

In final conclusion, all types of gelatine is tahir and halal.

glo
09-09-2006, 05:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by akulion
if ur too worried about the cpsules

just open em up and eat the powder inside
I'm not sure that would always work.
To my knowledge some capsules are designed to disolve after a certain amount of time, thereby releasing the powder to be absorbed by the body at a particular point in your stomach/digestive system.

Just swallowing the powder could interfere with that and make the medicine ineffective.

amirah_87
09-09-2006, 05:38 PM
As salaamu aalykum,

In final conclusion, all types of gelatine is tahir and halal.

That's exactly what I heard and studied(the issue of the istihaalah part), some people find it really hard to believe though, i also did in the beginning until a freind of mine explained it to me..

Rabi'ya
09-09-2006, 06:56 PM
:sl:

just a word of warning, its not only capsules that have gelatine in them.

I was prescrbed iron tablets this week and they too have gelatine in them....be careful brothers and sisters!!

:w:

Rabi'ya:rose:

Malaikah
09-10-2006, 12:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by amirah_87
That's exactly what I heard and studied(the issue of the istihaalah part), some people find it really hard to believe though, i also did in the beginning until a freind of mine explained it to me..

ive heard this before as well, but i dont see why on earth it matters?? its still derived from something haram, why should it become halal becuase it has had a change in chemical composition?? :?

whats Istihalah anyway??

can you explain why it makes sense to you sis?

Malaikah
10-04-2006, 10:10 AM

amirahhhh explain it please it!!!!!

i just had to give up my cheese cake! :(

amirah_87
10-04-2006, 10:46 AM
As Salaamu alaykum,

Oooooooh Sorry Cheesie I completly forgot!! :X :hiding:
It has to do with Istihaalah and a bit more! InshaAllah I'll post it to you when I get home!! (I've gotta dash off :cry:)
Sorry about the delay Ukhtiy! :-\

Malaikah
10-04-2006, 11:52 AM
no worries ;)

جوري
10-13-2006, 10:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I'm not sure that would always work.
To my knowledge some capsules are designed to disolve after a certain amount of time, thereby releasing the powder to be absorbed by the body at a particular point in your stomach/digestive system.

Just swallowing the powder could interfere with that and make the medicine ineffective.
Activated charcoal which is a chelating agent... used in many cases for food/drug poisoning and such would in fact be better off taken dissolved in water than in its capsular form.... I have not been able to find it, in any other form but capsular or coated somehow and glazed with Gelatin.... in each case the company admits, that it is in fact pork Gelatin that they use.... so best in fact to dissolve it in water and chug it down.... works faster.....

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.