/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslim scholars ban killings in name of Islam

Les_Nubian
09-08-2006, 04:36 PM
(This is kinda old, from last year, but still a good article! It shows people are really trying to stand up for Islam and make a difference over there!)

Muslim scholars ban killings in name of Islam

Source:Islamonline.net

http://www.aljazeera.com/me.asp?service_ID=8831

Leading Muslim scholars meeting in a three-day conference in Amman banned killing in the name of Islam and urged respect for other opinions in the Muslim world.

"We condemn the principle of accusations of apostasy and the legalization of the assassination of Muslims for religious reasons," the 180 scholars said Wednesday at the end of the first International Islamic Conference in Jordan.

The statement was based on religious edicts, or fatwas, issued by Sheikh Mohammed Sayed Tantawi of Al-Azhar in Cairo, the highest Muslim Sunni authority, Ayatollah Ali Sistani, the Shiite leader based in Iraq, and Egypt's Mufti, Sheikh Ali Jumma, as well as other senior leaders in Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Jordan.

At the beginning of the conference, Jordan's King Abdullah II denounced all kinds of religious extremism.

He also urged Muslim states to harmonize their schools of jurisprudence.

"Divisions within the global Islamic community, acts of violence and terrorism and accusations of apostasy and the killing of Muslims in the name of Islam violate the spirit of Islam," he said in an address Monday.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-08-2006, 04:41 PM
Good to know people are condemning it. Hopefully less people will think Muslims aren't....

Ghazi
09-08-2006, 06:11 PM
:sl:

Hmm, see such statements are very ambigious the title of the thread in it self my seem a tad misleading, this is a problem some shieks don't specify what they actually mean and could be interpreted a thousand ways.

Janissary
09-14-2006, 05:18 PM
Aye, you should edit the title of the thread. The issue at hand is about tolerating apostasy and herecy. Not about denouncing all kinds of religiously sanctioned killing.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Malaikah
09-16-2006, 06:32 AM
:sl:

i dont understand... are they declaring rulings that go against God's law? :?

Ninth_Scribe
09-30-2006, 07:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Les_Nubian
(This is kinda old, from last year, but still a good article! It shows people are really trying to stand up for Islam and make a difference over there!)
This is an awesome article!

Muslim scholars ban killings in name of Islam
Still debatable considering this is primarily a... military tradition... as is the call Allahu Akbar.

"We condemn the principle of accusations of apostasy and the legalization of the assassination of Muslims for religious reasons," the 180 scholars said Wednesday at the end of the first International Islamic Conference in Jordan.
Agreed. It does not sit well with me that there have been assassinations and executions of known civilians that were based soley on their sectarian lines.

At the beginning of the conference, Jordan's King Abdullah II denounced all kinds of religious extremism.
This man is not one to speak against religious extremism. Denying a burial to an innocent family was unthinkable, regardless of what the alleged "criminal" had done. To violate that law and deny a burial simply because he hated someone - makes him a religious extremist too in my book. In any case, I wonder what he intends to do with all the corpses of criminals if they should all be deprived burials to preserve the purity of his soil? It's not my problem though... he'll have to deal with the Angel of Death over that.

This was an excellent article! Sure hope there are lots more to follow~~~

Ninth Scribe

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.