/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Today in Jewish History...

therebbe
09-08-2006, 08:13 PM
5587 [September 7, 1827] - Cantonist Edict of Czar Nicholas I Proclaimed

The "Statute of Conscription and Military Service" is adopted by Czar Nicholas I. This edict required Jewish youths between ages 12 and 18 to be drafted into the Russian army and to serve a minimum of 25 years (which commenced after their 18th birthday) some youths as young as 8 years old were taken. The lads attended "canton schools" (hence the term "cantonist") that would train them into military service and forcibly baptize them. The motive of this edict was to undermine Judaism in Czarist Russia. This edict drafted between 30,000 and 100,000 youths and was abolished in 1856 after the death of Czar Nicholas.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
QuranStudy
09-08-2006, 08:16 PM
Any person who forces his religion upon others should meet hellfire.

MusLiM 4 LiFe
09-08-2006, 08:18 PM
subanallah! forcin people 2 dat :heated: datz bad man!

Jayda
09-08-2006, 08:18 PM
isnt that exactly what the turks were doing to russians with janissay corps? kind of ironic...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Samee
09-08-2006, 09:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jayda
isnt that exactly what the turks were doing to russians with janissay corps? kind of ironic...
Yup. Hence why the people who do these acts go to the hellfire. The religion isn't to blame. It is the people who do this.

QuranStudy
09-08-2006, 09:15 PM
Yup. Hence why the people who do these acts go to the hellfire. The religion isn't to blame. It is the people who do this.
Not too sure about that. Christians cite verses from Genesis as justification for African slavery.

Jayda
09-08-2006, 09:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Samee
lol... i didnt mean to shift this onto islam i just meant it is funny how the victims can turn into the aggressors in just a few seconds... people have short memories for forgiveness and long memories for revenge..

Jayda
09-08-2006, 09:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by QuranStudy
Not too sure about that. Christians cite verses from Genesis as justification for African slavery.

racist southerners from the 1800s maybe...

wilberhum
09-08-2006, 09:24 PM
Not too sure about that. Muslims cite verses in the Quran as justification for flying airplanes into buildings. (Scarcasm)

therebbe
09-08-2006, 09:24 PM
Christians cite verses from Genesis as justification for African slavery.
Actually only mormons did that, and they do not anymore. The verse was shown to not represent slavery.

Jayda
09-08-2006, 09:25 PM
Hola Rebbe,

your religion is undisclosed but you know a lot about judaism... are you jewish?

therebbe
09-08-2006, 09:28 PM
Hola Rebbe,

your religion is undisclosed but you know a lot about judaism... are you jewish?
Look up the name "rebbe" @ dictionary.com:)

Yep I am going to make you work for it. lol.

Jayda
09-08-2006, 09:45 PM
wait... youre actually a religious authority!!!! omg i had dinner with a rabbi a little while ago i have like a bazillion questions i need to ask you!

lol but my husband just came home, hes tired, driving for four hours, misses me and i want to go to dinner so maybe later!

byebye!

therebbe
09-08-2006, 09:47 PM
wait... youre actually a religious authority!!!! omg i had dinner with a rabbi a little while ago i have like a bazillion questions i need to ask you!

lol but my husband just came home, hes tired, driving for four hours, misses me and i want to go to dinner so maybe later!

byebye!
No not really. But I did teach Jewish history at a Yeshiva(Religious School) a while back.

Ask away if you would like.

QuranStudy
09-08-2006, 09:51 PM
Has a Muslim ever lived in your community?

therebbe
09-08-2006, 10:00 PM
Has a Muslim ever lived in your community?
No. Of course not. There are almost no gentiles (non-jews) that live in my community. Most likley because they would feel uncomfortable in an area that values, morals, and way of life are so different.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
09-08-2006, 10:02 PM
Which area of NY are you in? Just to know which area your speaking of.

therebbe
09-08-2006, 10:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ähmed
Which area of NY are you in? Just to know which area your speaking of.
I live in New York City.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
09-08-2006, 10:03 PM
Muslims are quite populated all around NYC.

ManchesterFolk
09-09-2006, 01:55 AM
It says on the statistics, Jews make up like 1/5.

therebbe
09-10-2006, 03:31 PM
Yes, I know. But they do not confine themselves into really tight areas where they can have there own customs and morals without being judged by the outside. A mistake on there part.

QuranStudy
09-10-2006, 03:35 PM
Yes, I know. But they do not confine themselves into really tight areas where they can have there own customs and morals without being judged by the outside. A mistake on there part.
Isnt there such a thing near Jackson Heights??

therebbe
09-10-2006, 03:38 PM
Isnt there such a thing near Jackson Heights??
Jackson Heights is a neighborhood in north-western Queens, New York City, USA Jackson Heights is an urbane melting pot with many ethnic populations. The Latin American population consists of a various mix of Latinos from many Latin American countries, mainly Ecuador, Colombia (67,000 population), Bolivia, Mexico, Argentina and Uruguay. The Asian-American community includes immigrants from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, China, Korea, and the Philippines. Little India is located around the intersection of Roosevelt Avenue and 74th Street, near Broadway (distinct from Broadway in Manhattan). In addition, there is a small population of multi-generational Europeans of Jewish, Polish, Irish, Italian and Russian decent.

By near is there another neighborhood are you refering to?

QuranStudy
09-10-2006, 03:41 PM
Nope. I guess you're right. NYC has alot of Muslims but not a real Muslim community.

Jayda
09-10-2006, 04:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by therebbe
Jackson Heights is a neighborhood in north-western Queens, New York City, USA Jackson Heights is an urbane melting pot with many ethnic populations. The Latin American population consists of a various mix of Latinos from many Latin American countries, mainly Ecuador, Colombia (67,000 population), Bolivia, Mexico, Argentina and Uruguay. The Asian-American community includes immigrants from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, China, Korea, and the Philippines. Little India is located around the intersection of Roosevelt Avenue and 74th Street, near Broadway (distinct from Broadway in Manhattan). In addition, there is a small population of multi-generational Europeans of Jewish, Polish, Irish, Italian and Russian decent.

lol this is going to sound so bad but... ive NEVER left manhattan, except to get a flight out of laguardia, i went to school at Columbia and we have an apartment there but the other boroughs are like a whole different country to me...

therebbe
09-10-2006, 06:51 PM
lol this is going to sound so bad but... ive NEVER left manhattan, except to get a flight out of laguardia, i went to school at Columbia and we have an apartment there but the other boroughs are like a whole different country to me...
I never go to Manhatten. Way to commercial for me. :D

QuranStudy
09-11-2006, 06:27 PM
I never go to Manhatten. Way to commercial for me.
And I thought Florida was commercialized enough lol.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.