/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Planets

Salmaan
09-09-2006, 06:01 AM
Any comments on Pluto being relegated from the list of planets in the solar system? :)

Now how will students learn the planets?

I think they don't need to learn the planets, because everytime the scientists will keep on changing the definition of planets ( keep adding new planets or discarding planets). ;D

May be a time will come when even the Earth will no longer be a planet. :giggling:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
lolwatever
09-09-2006, 06:09 AM
:lol: i laernt it using 'my very earnest mother just showed us nine planets'

i came up with a new one now :D

My Very Earnest Mother Just Showed Us Nothing

M = Mercury
V = Venus
E = Earth
M = Mars
J = Jupiter
S = Saturn
U = Uranus
N = Neptune

:D

samsam
09-09-2006, 06:19 AM
Loooooooooooooooooooooool;d

Inshallah
09-09-2006, 06:22 AM
I think the solar system is really cool but yeah pluto not being a planet is quiet shocking. What have these guys from nasa smoking all these years???

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Malaikah
09-09-2006, 08:04 AM
:sl:

lolwatever, thats a good one! :lol:

lolwatever
09-09-2006, 08:10 AM
innit :D

does that mean my new name is lolplanet

AHMED_GUREY
09-09-2006, 08:20 AM
so my location is nothing but gas and a lot of rocks :cry:

Woodrow
09-09-2006, 12:23 PM
Lolwatever thinks Charon is a Planet.

Kittygyal
09-09-2006, 12:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by lolwatever
:lol: i laernt it using 'my very earnest mother just showed us nine planets'

i came up with a new one now :D

My Very Earnest Mother Just Showed Us Nothing

M = Mercury
V = Venus
E = Earth
M = Mars
J = Jupiter
S = Saturn
U = Uranus
N = Neptune

salam.
yes thats the way i learnt it && also that elephant one.
w.salam

Salmaan
09-09-2006, 02:26 PM
Which is larger in size - Pluto, Mercury or Venus? Can anyone tell me in ascending order (starting from largets to smalles) ?

Keltoi
09-09-2006, 03:18 PM
This didn't really surprise me, if you have read any recent, meaning the past 50 years, articles or research on astronomy, the growing belief was that Pluto didn't deserve the title of "planet".

syilla
09-09-2006, 05:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
This didn't really surprise me, if you have read any recent, meaning the past 50 years, articles or research on astronomy, the growing belief was that Pluto didn't deserve the title of "planet".
yeah...i think it is categorized as 'small planet'...if i'm not mistaken

TEH
09-09-2006, 05:53 PM
See, now you can say...

Back in my day, Pluto was a planet... :eek:

akulion
09-09-2006, 05:58 PM
infact there could be a story about how pluto used to be a planet before the aliens from planet jimbonanny came and destroyed it with their death star and the valiant janassaris (jedi knights) fought to defeat them

Fishman
09-09-2006, 06:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Salmaan
Any comments on Pluto being relegated from the list of planets in the solar system? :)

Now how will students learn the planets?

I think they don't need to learn the planets, because everytime the scientists will keep on changing the definition of planets ( keep adding new planets or discarding planets). ;D

May be a time will come when even the Earth will no longer be a planet. :giggling:
Pluto is a planet! And I even declared war on astronomers to prove it! That's why my avatar used to be a picture of a telescope with a line through it!
:w:

Fishman
09-09-2006, 07:41 PM
Fortunately I memorised the planets at an early age, so I don't need any rhymes or acronyms to do it!

~Pluto Is A Planet~

Salmaan
09-10-2006, 06:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
yeah...i think it is categorized as 'small planet'...if i'm not mistaken
Pluto is now categorized as a 'dwarf' planet :)

Salmaan
09-10-2006, 06:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by TEH
See, now you can say...

Back in my day, Pluto was a planet... :eek:
:D right !

Salmaan
09-10-2006, 06:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
salam.
i stopped at "p" for a reson because PLUTO is small methink am not sure i this in school ways back 7-8years ago :uhwhat
w.salam
;D
which is the smallest - pluto, mercury or venus (in ascending order - smaller to larger) is my question - anybody ? :)

Malaikah
09-10-2006, 07:31 AM

^im pretty sure pluto is the smallest, then mercury, then venus..

Kittygyal
09-10-2006, 10:55 AM
;D
which is the smallest - pluto, mercury or venus (in ascending order - smaller to larger) is my question - anybody ? :)

salam.
Pluto is smallest breda.:rollseyes
w.salam

The Ruler
09-10-2006, 11:02 AM

i jus got ta kno it lyk a few mins ago wen fishy posted dat post sayin a lil bit abt it :-\

y am i so layd bak :-\

Kittygyal
09-10-2006, 11:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by +*Glacier*+

i jus got ta kno it lyk a few mins ago wen fishy posted dat post sayin a lil bit abt it :-\

y am i so layd bak :-\

salam.
aww don't worry hun i hate science me self not good at that so it doesn't mean your layed back your intelligent :)
w.salam

Salmaan
09-10-2006, 12:32 PM
:) Thank you for letting me know that Pluto is smallest among Pluto, Mercury and Venus.
Bcuz I thought if Pluto was not the smallest, and if Venus or Mercury were smaller than Pluto, then they also do not deserve to be a planet...^o)

Anybody knows the current definition of planet ? :rollseyes

Kittygyal
09-10-2006, 12:35 PM
salam.

planet means a nonluminous celestial body larger than an asteroid or comet, illuminated by light from a star, such as the sun, around which it revolves. In the solar system there are nine known planets: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto.

w.salam

Kittygyal
09-10-2006, 12:36 PM
salam.
here are the order

The Sun

Mercury

Venus

Earth

Mars

Jupiter

Saturn

Uranus

Neptune

Pluto

The order of the planets given here is based on the planets' average distances from the Sun. Because Pluto's orbit is quite elliptical in shape, at times Pluto travels closer to the Sun than Neptune's orbit. This was the case from January 1979 through February 1999, when Neptune was the farthest planet from the Sun.

w.salam

Salmaan
09-10-2006, 12:45 PM
salam.
here are the order

The Sun

Mercury

Venus

Earth

Mars

Jupiter

Saturn

Uranus

Neptune

Pluto

The order of the planets given here is based on the planets' average distances from the Sun. Because Pluto's orbit is quite elliptical in shape, at times Pluto travels closer to the Sun than Neptune's orbit. This was the case from January 1979 through February 1999, when Neptune was the farthest planet from the Sun.

w.salam
Jazakallhu khayran for all the information. :)

After Pluto has been relegated from the list of planets, the definition of planet has changed, so what is the current definition of planets. :rollseyes

Kittygyal
09-10-2006, 12:48 PM
Jazakallhu khayran for all the information. :)

After Pluto has been relegated from the list of planets, the definition of planet has changed, so what is the current definition of planets. :rollseyes
salam.
an extremely large round mass of rock and metal, such as Earth, or of gas, such as Jupiter, which moves in a circular path around the Sun or another star:
- the planet Earth/Venus

- Might there be intelligent life on other planets?

planetary

adjective

relating to planets:
- planetary science/motion

See also http://www.ipnsig.org/home.htm.
w.salam

Fishman
09-10-2006, 12:52 PM
Definition of planet:
(a) is in orbit around a star or stellar remnants;
(b) has sufficient mass for its self-gravity to overcome rigid body forces so that it assumes a hydrostatic equilibrium (nearly round) shape;
(c) is not massive enough to initiate thermonuclear fusion of deuterium in its core; and,
(d) has cleared the neighbourhood around its orbit.

Salmaan
09-10-2006, 01:01 PM
salam.
an extremely large round mass of rock and metal, such as Earth, or of gas, such as Jupiter, which moves in a circular path around the Sun or another star:
- the planet Earth/Venus

- Might there be intelligent life on other planets?

planetary

adjective

relating to planets:
- planetary science/motion

See also http://www.ipnsig.org/home.htm.
w.salam
salam.
Jazakallah for the information. :)
Is Mercury is extremely large ? If Pluto can be relegated, then why not Mercury as well, according to definition? ^o)

Fishman
09-10-2006, 01:03 PM
salam.
Jazakallah for the information. :)
Is Mercury is extremely large ? If Pluto can be relegated, then why not Mercury as well, according to definition? ^o)
That's not the correct definition, I posted the new one above.

Of course I don't think the new one is even correct! Up with Pluto!

Salmaan
09-10-2006, 01:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
Definition of planet:
(a) is in orbit around a star or stellar remnants;
(b) has sufficient mass for its self-gravity to overcome rigid body forces so that it assumes a hydrostatic equilibrium (nearly round) shape;
(c) is not massive enough to initiate thermonuclear fusion of deuterium in its core; and,
(d) has cleared the neighbourhood around its orbit.
Jazakallah brother :)
So many points to remember according to this definition :heated:

Salmaan
09-10-2006, 01:21 PM
Question : Why do scientists only go for Mars? Why don't scientists look for life on Venus? Venus is also neighbouring planet of earth, so why not find there? ^o)

Fishman
09-10-2006, 01:25 PM
Question : Why do scientists only go for Mars? Why don't scientists look for life on Venus? Venus is also neighbouring planet of earth, so why not find there? ^o)
The surface temperature on Venus is hot enough to melt lead. All of the probes that landed on it were reduced to little puddles after a few minutes.

Kittygyal
09-10-2006, 01:25 PM
salam.
because President Bush's plan to return humans to the Moon as a stepping stone to Mars was applauded today by many scientists eager to unlock the geological and biological secrets of the red planet :uhwhat
w.salam

Salmaan
09-10-2006, 01:28 PM
Aren't there possibilities of life on Venus?

Kittygyal
09-10-2006, 01:29 PM
salam.
NOPE they aint.
any more questions?
w.salam

Fishman
09-10-2006, 01:32 PM
No, not really. It's made of hot rock and lava, it rains sulphuric acid, and the pressure produced by the thick atmosphere could crush you in seconds.

Salmaan
09-10-2006, 01:40 PM
What about the natural satellite of the earth - that is the moon ?! Aren't there possibilities of life on the moon ?!!!! :rollseyes
It has to be !!! At least more than Mars, what do you say ?? :uuh:

Fishman
09-10-2006, 02:27 PM
What about the natural satellite of the earth - that is the moon ?! Aren't there possibilities of life on the moon ?!!!! :rollseyes
It has to be !!! At least more than Mars, what do you say ?? :uuh:
The moon has no atmosphere and no liquid water, so it's very hard for life to exist there. However, Earth bacteria were found living on part of the lunar lander, so it is possible for life to survive.

M2A^AKIB^
09-10-2006, 04:22 PM
If i m not mistaken, isn't there a verse in Quran
that says that one the prophets saw 11 planets in his dream?

Salmaan
09-10-2006, 04:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ya Mustafa
If i m not mistaken, isn't there a verse in Quran
that says that one the prophets saw 11 planets in his dream?
salam
It is not 'planets'.
There is a verse in the Qur'an which says that Prophet Yousuf 'alayhis-salaam saw 11 stars in his dream.

Salmaan
09-10-2006, 04:46 PM
The moon has no atmosphere and no liquid water, so it's very hard for life to exist there. However, Earth bacteria were found living on part of the lunar lander, so it is possible for life to survive.
Jazakallah for the information brother :)

M2A^AKIB^
09-10-2006, 05:08 PM
salam
It is not 'planets'.
There is a verse in the Qur'an which says that Prophet Yousuf 'alayhis-salaam saw 11 stars in his dream.
actually there is source that says planets, and the other says stars.
http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/012.qmt.html#012.004
YUSUFALI: Behold! Joseph said to his father: "O my father! I did see eleven stars and the sun and the moon: I saw them prostrate themselves to me!"
PICKTHAL: When Joseph said unto his father: O my father! Lo! I saw in a dream eleven planets and the sun and the moon, I saw them prostrating themselves unto me.
SHAKIR: When Yusuf said to his father: O my father! surely I saw eleven stars and the sun and the moon-- I saw them making obeisance to me.

2 beats 1, so i will go with stars then. :D
Salamualaikum

Ghazi
09-10-2006, 05:12 PM

Quick question if there's no gravity in space then why do astriods,comets, ect travel so fast wouldn't just float in space?

M2A^AKIB^
09-10-2006, 06:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth

Quick question if there's no gravity in space then why do astriods,comets, ect travel so fast wouldn't just float in space?
they get caught up in the suns or jupiter's gravity allowing them to move at great speed. remember the NASA scientists used the jupiters gravity to speed up the spacecraft when going to uranus and neptune. scientists used the gravity of the sun and jupiter lots of times to speed things up. Gravity has become a great tool today for scientists.

Woodrow
09-10-2006, 06:19 PM
Venus was one of the first planets that a probe was sent to in seach of life. It was discovered that the surface temperature is extremly hot, I believe it is something like 700 or 800 Degress F, also it turned out that the dense clouds that were thought to be water vapor are a very hot layer of some very nasty gases and no water. There is no indication that there is any liquid water on Venus as the place is way to hot for water except in the form of surper-heated steam.

Woodrow
09-10-2006, 06:26 PM
the originaly definition of planet as known by the ancient Greeks and Romans (The word Planet is from one of them) was wanderer. It was known that the stars posistion was fixed in relation to each other. However there were a few odd balls that wandered all over the place in relationship to the Stars, these were:

Mercury
Venus
Mars
Jupiter
Saturn

They were felt to be wanders in the sky so were called Planets, which means wanderers.

Todays definition of planet will be whatever the astronomers decide it to be.

To me this is a good example of the wisdom for the Qur'an to be in Arabic. The definitions have not changed since it was written. English words change definition with nearly every generation.

Salmaan
09-11-2006, 02:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Venus was one of the first planets that a probe was sent to in seach of life. It was discovered that the surface temperature is extremly hot, I believe it is something like 700 or 800 Degress F, also it turned out that the dense clouds that were thought to be water vapor are a very hot layer of some very nasty gases and no water. There is no indication that there is any liquid water on Venus as the place is way to hot for water except in the form of surper-heated steam.
salam

jazakallahu khayran brother for all your information. :)

Salmaan
09-11-2006, 02:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ya Mustafa
they get caught up in the suns or jupiter's gravity allowing them to move at great speed. remember the NASA scientists used the jupiters gravity to speed up the spacecraft when going to uranus and neptune. scientists used the gravity of the sun and jupiter lots of times to speed things up. Gravity has become a great tool today for scientists.

Yes, gravity is so interesting.
The gravity at the poles of the earth is greater than the gravity at the equator.
Bcuz the poles are more closer to the centre of gravity of the earth than the equator.
Thats why, we see that there is a big difference of football matches played in European countries to that of equatorial countries.
In European countries, the football comes down quicker and bounces less after a kick, whereas in equatorial countries the ball keeps bouncing for quite a long time. ;D Interesting.

sameer
09-11-2006, 04:27 PM
wasnt pluto mickeys dog?:D

Kittygyal
09-11-2006, 04:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sameer
wasnt pluto mickeys dog?:D
salam.
;D
no SAMY it wasn't not Micky mouse in the house :giggling:
w.salam

Salmaan
09-12-2006, 07:31 AM
Did you know that your weight on the moon would be 1/6 th your weight on the earth. :rollseyes

lolwatever
09-12-2006, 08:27 AM
did you know that your mass will remain the same :D

Salmaan
09-12-2006, 09:23 AM
did you know that your mass will remain the same :D
:lol: that was clever masha'Allah

Salmaan
09-12-2006, 05:09 PM
:giggling: Who gave the name aliens ? Life on Mars has not yet been found. Then where have these aliens come from ? ;D

lolwatever
09-12-2006, 08:01 PM
^ alien just means 'foreigner'... it was a word mainly (still is) used to describe ppl who are foreign to a land....... and then it got used for the space we hear about

Fishman
09-12-2006, 08:04 PM
I ate all the planets and stuff.

If you know the point of this post please tell me. I think it was supposed to be funny in a n00by sort of way...

Salmaan
09-13-2006, 09:37 AM
I ate all the planets and stuff.

If you know the point of this post please tell me. I think it was supposed to be funny in a n00by sort of way...

:rollseyes ^o) :?

Salmaan
09-14-2006, 07:23 AM
^ alien just means 'foreigner'... it was a word mainly (still is) used to describe ppl who are foreign to a land....... and then it got used for the space we hear about
Jazakallah khayr for the information brother :)

lolwatever
09-14-2006, 07:24 AM
wa iyakum :D

Salmaan
09-14-2006, 07:26 AM
Can anybody tell me the EXACT time (days : hrs : mins : secs) the earth takes to complete one revolution around the sun ?

I know the answer. :D
But I want to test your knowledge first. :)

Woodrow
09-14-2006, 07:45 AM
Can anybody tell me the EXACT time (days : hrs : mins : secs) the earth takes to complete one revolution around the sun ?

I know the answer. :D
But I want to test your knowledge first. :)
The year 2005 contained 31,558,152.960 seconds.

Salmaan
09-14-2006, 10:17 AM
The year 2005 contained 31,558,152.960 seconds.

Good attempt.
But that was not the answer I expected.
I am asking in general. And I want the answer in the format of days:hrs:mins:secs. :)

lolwatever
09-14-2006, 12:44 PM
lol then i have the answer:

31,558,152.960 seconds
31,558,152.960 / 60 mins
(31,558,152.960 / 60) / 60 hrs
[(31,558,152.960 / 60) / 60] / 24 days

Salmaan
09-14-2006, 12:48 PM
lol then i have the answer:

31,558,152.960 seconds
31,558,152.960 / 60 mins
(31,558,152.960 / 60) / 60 hrs
[(31,558,152.960 / 60) / 60] / 24 days

Good attempt.
Calculations please...;D
I want the final answer in the format days:hrs:mins:secs :)

lolwatever
09-14-2006, 12:52 PM
lol how hard is it 2get a calc n do it urself :anger:

well according 2 that its
365 days, 6hrs, 9min, 12.96 sec

;)

Salmaan
09-14-2006, 02:07 PM
lol how hard is it 2get a calc n do it urself :anger:

well according 2 that its
365 days, 6hrs, 9min, 12.96 sec

;)
You were sooooo close ! :uuh:
Good attempt !! :uuh:
The answer is 365 days, 5 hrs, 48 mins, 45 secs :)
I give it you, you did it. :D

Salmaan
09-14-2006, 02:12 PM
Thank you everybody for taking your time in giving your answers :)

Kidman
09-14-2006, 03:06 PM
Yes Venus is very hot, but i also heard that on the polar ends it doesn't get any sun, and it is freezing cold in those area's and possible the surface is all Ice. Anyone confirm?

Kidman

Salmaan
09-15-2006, 09:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kidman
Yes Venus is very hot, but i also heard that on the polar ends it doesn't get any sun, and it is freezing cold in those area's and possible the surface is all Ice. Anyone confirm?

Kidman
Ice on Venus ?! :uuh: ^o)

Kidman
09-15-2006, 03:49 PM
http://cse.ssl.berkeley.edu/SEGwayed...e.article.html

Check that out...

Kidman

Fishman
09-15-2006, 07:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kidman
It's not real snow though, it's metallic stuff...

Kidman
09-15-2006, 09:04 PM
Ya, so, what's new with the planets?

Salmaan
09-17-2006, 07:14 AM
Can planets such as Mars or Venus be seen in the sky by the naked eye ? :rollseyes
Has anybody of you seen ?

Fishman
09-17-2006, 07:17 AM
Can planets such as Mars or Venus be seen in the sky by the naked eye ? :rollseyes
Has anybody of you seen ?
Yes, they can be seen. I've never seen them though.

Salmaan
09-17-2006, 07:25 AM
Yes, they can be seen. I've never seen them though.
With 'naked eye' they can be seen ?! :uuh:
What is the best time in which they can be seen? How can we identify them? :?

Fishman
09-17-2006, 07:28 AM
With 'naked eye' they can be seen ?! :uuh:
What is the best time in which they can be seen? How can we identify them? :?
Yes, they can be seen with the naked eye. Venus I susually visible in the morning and at sunset. Mercury does to, but it's hard to see because its so close to the sun.

Salmaan
09-17-2006, 07:30 AM
Yes, they can be seen with the naked eye. Venus I susually visible in the morning and at sunset. Mercury does to, but it's hard to see because its so close to the sun.
and Mars ? :?

Woodrow
09-17-2006, 07:33 AM
The planets that are visible to the naked eye are:

Mercury (Although very difficult, only during a few minutes before sunrise or a few minutes after sunset and only when it is in the proper location)

Venus the most common one. Actually can even be seen in the daytime if you know it's exact location. The one most visible. Will often be seen as a bright evening or morning "star"

Mars Easy to see if you have a good skt chart and know it's exact location for the date and time

Jupiter, second in brightness only to venus. It also is often seen as a bright evening or morning "star" but not quite as bright as venus.

Saturn very easily seen, next to the moon will be the 3rd or 4th brightest object in the sky

Any farmboy has seen all of them, but not always knows the name.

Remember these were seen and known by the earlist of the shepards and sailors.

Fishman
09-17-2006, 07:33 AM
and Mars ? :?
I don't know how to see Mars. I think it's usually red though.

Woodrow
09-17-2006, 07:40 AM
I don't know how to see Mars. I think it's usually red though.
Very easily seen. Yes it is usually reddish to the naked eye. People often mistake the red star betelgeuse for it. However, planets do not twinkle and stars do.

Salmaan
09-17-2006, 07:45 AM
The planets that are visible to the naked eye are:

Mercury (Although very difficult, only during a few minutes before sunrise or a few minutes after sunset and only when it is in the proper location)

Venus the most common one. Actually can even be seen in the daytime if you know it's exact location. The one most visible. Will often be seen as a bright evening or morning "star"

Mars Easy to see if you have a good skt chart and know it's exact location for the date and time
:sl: brother, jazakallah for all the information. :)

I have a doubt, why has the word 'exact location' been used? :-\

I mean, planets also constantly revolve around the sun, so how can there be a fixed location for a planet? Its position must keep changing, isn't it? :hmm:

Woodrow
09-17-2006, 08:00 AM
:sl: brother, jazakallah for all the information. :)

I have a doubt, why has the word 'exact location' been used? :-\

I mean, planets also constantly revolve around the sun, so how can there be a fixed location for a planet? Its position must keep changing, isn't it? :hmm:
Yes, it is changing constantly. That is why you need a good star atlas, to look up the exact location where it is for a given time and date. The planets all appear, to move along the Eclliptic, hich is the same path we see the moon travel. The ancients called them "Planets" which means wanderer.

The early Muslim astronomers are the ones who developed the mathematical formula for determining the part of the sky each will be seen in for a given date and time. Very complex. Calculations fill a good sized book for each planet.

Salmaan
09-17-2006, 09:07 AM
Yes, it is changing constantly. That is why you need a good star atlas, to look up the exact location where it is for a given time and date. The planets all appear, to move along the Eclliptic, hich is the same path we see the moon travel. The ancients called them "Planets" which means wanderer.

The early Muslim astronomers are the ones who developed the mathematical formula for determining the part of the sky each will be seen in for a given date and time. Very complex. Calculations fill a good sized book for each planet.
Jazakallah for the information brother.

Salmaan
09-17-2006, 12:19 PM

The names of the planets in English are Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars and so on.......

But what are the names of the planets in Arabic? :?

Woodrow
09-17-2006, 12:44 PM

The names of the planets in English are Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars and so on.......

But what are the names of the planets in Arabic? :?

The Roman names of the visible planets were Mercury, Venus, Mars and Jupitar. Earth and Saturn are Greek.

To be honest I do not know the old Arabic Names as the Roman and Greek names are the Standard used in Astronomy throughout most of the world. I am certain they would have had Arabic names as nearly all of the visible stars still hold onto their original Arabic names on the star charts.

Salmaan
09-17-2006, 02:08 PM
The Roman names of the visible planets were Mercury, Venus, Mars and Jupitar. Earth and Saturn are Greek.

To be honest I do not know the old Arabic Names as the Roman and Greek names are the Standard used in Astronomy throughout most of the world. I am certain they would have had Arabic names as nearly all of the visible stars still hold onto their original Arabic names on the star charts.
:hmm: It is said that the ancient Arabs were very good astronomers. The planets should have been given Arabic names, since the Arabs were the first to study astronomy. ^o)

Kidman
09-18-2006, 05:10 PM
Astronomers find distant, fluffy planet

Check this out...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060914/...c/puffy_planet

kidman

Salmaan
09-19-2006, 05:21 PM
subhanallah !

Fluffy planet which can float on water.... :uuh:
Fluffy means spongy, or is it? :-\
How small is that planet, that it can float on water? :? Is it the size of a football? :D

Woodrow
09-19-2006, 05:32 PM
:hmm: It is said that the ancient Arabs were very good astronomers. The planets should have been given Arabic names, since the Arabs were the first to study astronomy. ^o)
Nearly all of the stars have Arabic names as well as the names of many constellations. I have no idea as to why the Arabic names were not used for the planed.

wilberhum
09-19-2006, 11:35 PM
the Arabs were the first to study astronomy. What? Astronomy goes back to the beginning of recorded history. All over the world. It wasn't issolated.

http://cassfos02.ucsd.edu/public/tutorial/History.html

Woodrow
09-20-2006, 02:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
the Arabs were the first to study astronomy. What? Astronomy goes back to the beginning of recorded history. All over the world. It wasn't issolated.

http://cassfos02.ucsd.edu/public/tutorial/History.html
That is true. However, untill the time of the Arab astronomers it was studied primarily as a field of astrology rather than as the science of astronomy. Yes Copernicus did make some great contributions, however, he tried to keep his discoveries in line with the religious beliefs of the time and as a result his work contained numerous errors.

Salmaan
09-20-2006, 07:21 AM
Nearly all of the stars have Arabic names as well as the names of many constellations. I have no idea as to why the Arabic names were not used for the planed.

Jazakallah for the information.

Salmaan
10-08-2006, 05:27 PM

I was just wondering :rollseyes.....don't you think there are very much chances of life on cold planets where there is ice, example pluto (although no more a planet) ?
why don't scientists look for life on such icy planets :uuh:
those stupid scientists are just sticking to Mars :heated:

Fishman
10-08-2006, 05:32 PM

I was just wondering :rollseyes.....don't you think there are very much chances of life on cold planets where there is ice, example pluto (although no more a planet) ?
why don't scientists look for life on such icy planets :uuh:
those stupid scientists are just sticking to Mars :heated:
It's too cold to live on Pluto. And Mars is an icy planet, like all the others outside of the Earth's orbit.

Salmaan
10-08-2006, 05:37 PM
It's too cold to live on Pluto. And Mars is an icy planet, like all the others outside of the Earth's orbit.

So what if its too cold? ^o) There is something called as adaptation....

Salmaan
10-08-2006, 05:42 PM
also, if there is ice on mars, the ice should melt and become water. how can it stay as ice? mars is not too far away from the sun, and the ice should melt and become water. :mmokay:

DigitalStorm82
10-08-2006, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by Salmaan View Post
It is said that the ancient Arabs were very good astronomers. The planets should have been given Arabic names, since the Arabs were the first to study astronomy.
Planet Abdullah lol

Comet Jaffar heading our way!!

I dunno its just hilarious... lol

Fishman
10-08-2006, 06:05 PM

So what if its too cold? ^o) There is something called as adaptation....
It's also too far away from the sun to actually go there with today's technology anyway. Nobody could check for life.

also, if there is ice on mars, the ice should melt and become water. how can it stay as ice? mars is not too far away from the sun, and the ice should melt and become water.
Mars is at least as cold as Antarctica, probably colder. Antarctic water ice doesn't normally melt. The CO2 ice does though, I think.

Salmaan
10-09-2006, 06:40 AM

What if one tries to break the ice? It should become water then.
Earthquakes occur in other planets including Mars, don't they?
Then how can ice stay as ice on Mars? It should become water, as the earthquakes may be breaking the ice.

DigitalStorm82
10-09-2006, 12:29 PM
There is plenty of dry ice on mars as well... if the temperature does increase it'll just turn into gas.

Fishman
10-09-2006, 07:17 PM

What if one tries to break the ice? It should become water then.
Earthquakes occur in other planets including Mars, don't they?
Then how can ice stay as ice on Mars? It should become water, as the earthquakes may be breaking the ice.
Ice doesn't turn to water if it breaks, it turns to water if it's heated. There are few heat sources on Mars except for meteorite impacts, since all the volcanoes seem to be dead.

There are probably few Earthquakes on Mars, since it has no plate tectonics.

Ali_slave of Allah
10-09-2006, 07:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AHMED_GUREY
so my location is nothing but gas and a lot of rocks :cry:
lol alhamdulilah am living on earth

MusLiM 4 LiFe
10-09-2006, 07:36 PM
bro fishman, u sure no alot abt everythin :-\ mashallah lol

Salmaan
10-10-2006, 07:09 AM
Ice doesn't turn to water if it breaks, it turns to water if it's heated. There are few heat sources on Mars except for meteorite impacts, since all the volcanoes seem to be dead.

Isn't sun the source of heat ?
I find this strange that ice on Mars does not melt.

Fishman
10-11-2006, 02:58 PM

Isn't sun the source of heat ?
I find this strange that ice on Mars does not melt.
The sun is not very bright on Mars. It's as cold as parts of Antarctica there.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.