/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslim boycott hurts Denmark

sonz
09-10-2006, 12:28 PM
THE Muslim world's boycott of Danish products, provoked by caricatures of the prophet Mohammed published in Denmark, cost the country's businesses some +euro+134 million ($267m), just-released statistics showed.

The boycott began on January 20 over cartoons published in September 2005 by the Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten, and led Denmark's exports to fall by 15.5per cent between February and June, according to the national statistics institute.

Exports to Denmark's top trading partners in the Middle East were cut in half.

They totalled just over 5 billion Danish kroner ($1.34bn) as against six billion kroner for the same period in 2005.

``There is little doubt that this is a result of the caricatures crisis,'' the Ritzau news agency quoted head consultant Peter Thagesen of the country's industry federation, Dansk Industri, as saying.

``This is serious for the affected businesses,'' Thagesen added.

In particular, exports to Saudi Arabia, Denmark's number one client in the Muslim world, fell by 40per cent, while those to Iran, its third biggest Muslim market, fell by 47per cent.

Other countries who suddenly stopped importing Danish products included Libya (down 88per cent), Syria (41per cent), Sudan (55per cent) and Yemen (62per cent).

Food companies, especially those selling dairy products, such as Arla Foods, were the worst affected by the boycott, with their exports over the February to June period falling by 25.3per cent overall.

Exports of manufactured goods, less prominent on the consumer market, fell by 7.4per cent, the institute said.

The export statistics released on Friday do not tell the whole story of how much the boycott has cost Denmark, since they do not take into account service providers, transport companies, investments or goods produced locally by Danish firms, Dansk Industri noted.

The publication of the cartoons, first in Denmark and then elsewhere in Europe, led to a wave of protests around the Muslim world. AFP

http://www.bruneitimes.com.bn/details.php?shape_ID=4797

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muezzin
09-10-2006, 12:32 PM
You know, not every single Danish company was directly responsible for those cartoons - it was one right-wing nutty newspaper, not the entire country.

That said, when you take into account the riots, the boycott is the lesser of two evils.

sonz
09-10-2006, 12:35 PM
it doesnt matter where they were responsible or not. the danish community supported the newspaper. look at the polls.

boycot served them right

akulion
09-10-2006, 12:36 PM
i hope some of the muslims benefitted from this opportunity and started their own businesses to provide alternatives to the MEC

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muezzin
09-10-2006, 12:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sonz
it doesnt matter where they were responsible or not. the danish community supported the newspaper. look at the polls.

boycot served them right
Yeah, but that doesn't mean every single Dane supported the cartoons. Is it right to include the minority in a punishment meant for the majority? What about the Muslim business owners in Denmark, who may also have been hurt by the boycott?

ManchesterFolk
09-10-2006, 02:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sonz

boycot served them right
So? Because you support things you should be punished?

Should the USA punish Muslims in the Unites States if they support Al-Queda? Or possibly, many Muslims cannot grasp the idea of "freedom of speech".

At least no one died in the Boycotts, unlike the riots. You have every right to boycott a country, but you don't have the right to damage property and kill in riots.

QuranStudy
09-10-2006, 03:07 PM
So? Because you support things you should be punished?
Supporting things that offend our core beliefs ..... of course!! Do you think Israel will trade with any country that denies the Holocaust?? Use common sense.

Should the USA punish Muslims in the Unites States if they support Al-Queda? Or possibly, many Muslims cannot grasp the idea of "freedom of speech".
Sure, but I dont think most do :) Many Westerners cannot grasp the idea of morals and repect.

At least no one died in the Boycotts, unlike the riots. You have every right to boycott a country, but you don't have the right to damage property and kill in riots.
Well, the Danish asked for it. Now they realized that they shouldnt play games.

abdmez
09-10-2006, 03:16 PM
I agree with u brother. The danes supportered the newspaper in a poll.

ManchesterFolk
09-10-2006, 03:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by abdmez
I agree with u brother. The danes supportered the newspaper in a poll.
The Danes supported there right to freedom of speech in a poll. It is a big difference.

QuranStudy
09-10-2006, 03:21 PM
The Danes supported there right to freedom of speech in a poll. It is a big difference.
Depends on the poll question.

AHMED_GUREY
09-10-2006, 03:24 PM
i heard on the radio in the UK commercials that ended like this

''look for danish''

'look for danish products''

''soooo remember look for danish''

or something like that i don't know wich channel it was

i was in the gym

but this topic remind me about it

i think a big marketing campaign is going on and danish companies are looking for other markets to sell there products

Zulkiflim
09-11-2006, 04:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by akulion
i hope some of the muslims benefitted from this opportunity and started their own businesses to provide alternatives to the MEC
Salaam,

Yes that is good,but they must come from muslim coutnries..Inshallah

Zulkiflim
09-11-2006, 04:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Yeah, but that doesn't mean every single Dane supported the cartoons. Is it right to include the minority in a punishment meant for the majority? What about the Muslim business owners in Denmark, who may also have been hurt by the boycott?
Salaam,

As always the argument about the collective.

If the Denaish goverment had talked to the 11 ambassodors and the muslim in the nation,all this would not have happened.

They were all spurned,and thus the reaction..

Is it right for the danes to makes mockery of the religion?

If they were traumatised by sep 11,why then dont they just makes fun of Osama or any other man..why did they have to publicy humiliate the Prophet?

Zulkiflim
09-11-2006, 04:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AHMED_GUREY
i heard on the radio in the UK commercials that ended like this

''look for danish''

'look for danish products''

''soooo remember look for danish''

or something like that i don't know wich channel it was

i was in the gym

but this topic remind me about it

i think a big marketing campaign is going on and danish companies are looking for other markets to sell there products
Salaam,

They finally relaise that they cant depnd o muslim goverment for sustanence..

And we muslim must recognise that too..

If only the Ummah wakes up and stop supporting haram product from coutnries that harm muslim...

Woodrow
09-11-2006, 04:42 AM
A concern that I have is look at the Danish companies that were affected.

Food companies, especially those selling dairy products, such as Arla Foods, were the worst affected by the boycott, with their exports over the February to June period falling by 25.3per cent overall
Keep in mind the Mid East Arabic nations have to import nearly all of their food. There is very little food produced in the Islamic Nations. This boycott may have a back side to it. True other countries will come in to fill the gap left open by Denmark. It will be interesting to see which countries now have an increased profit, thanks to the boycott. This gave a temporary non-competative market to other countries that previously could not compete with Denmark for the Mid-Eastern Market. Could be that there will now be companies that got their foot it the door and will effectively eliminate the Danish competition in the Mid=East

I think some of our Texas businesses are pleased with the Danish Boycott:

Texas exported $3.2 billion worth of goods to the Middle East last year, according to the Texas Department of Economic Development. Of Middle Eastern countries, Saudi Arabia received the lion's share of Texas exports, almost 29%.
Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/st...01/story3.html

Muezzin
09-11-2006, 10:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zulkiflim
Salaam,

As always the argument about the collective.

If the Denaish goverment had talked to the 11 ambassodors and the muslim in the nation,all this would not have happened.
True.

They were all spurned,and thus the reaction..
Though in my mind it doesn't really justify effectively punishing the entire country.

Is it right for the danes to makes mockery of the religion?
Of course not. But we're supposed to be above this mindless tit for tat.

If they were traumatised by sep 11,why then dont they just makes fun of Osama or any other man..why did they have to publicy humiliate the Prophet?
I was just as angry as you were. It's just anger can make us do things we later regret.

Anyhow, if there's a choice between riots and a boycott, at least no one dies in the latter.

Yara Dil Dara
09-11-2006, 10:34 AM
Note: not the whole of Denmark was to blame for some simple cartoons.

Muezzin
09-11-2006, 10:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yara Dil Dara
Note: not the whole of Denmark was to blame for some simple cartoons.
I agree.

Oh well. What's done is done. I hope we don't punish another entire country for the actions of a few. I'm against anyone doing that as a general principle.

Obi-Wan
09-11-2006, 11:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Keep in mind the Mid East Arabic nations have to import nearly all of their food. There is very little food produced in the Islamic Nations. This boycott may have a back side to it.
Wiki article on Syria
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Syria

Thanks to sustained capital investment, infrastructure development, subsidies of inputs, and price supports, Syria has gone from a net importer of many agricultural products to an exporter of cotton, fruits, vegetables, and other foodstuffs. One of the prime reasons for this turnaround has been the government's investment in huge irrigation systems in northern and northeastern Syria, part of a plan to increase irrigated farmland by 38% over the next decade.
Of course, historically, Iraq was a great producer of food. It may have been the place where argriculture first began. A few decades ago, it gave out food aid. Now it is on its knees begging.

sameer
09-11-2006, 02:56 PM
Maybe denmark should try to regain the Muslims "good side" ?

This boycott is similar to trade embargos and sanctions which are implemented to cripple many countries.

When ure compnay workers goes on strike to get what they want, are u not punishing ppl who buy ure products in addition to ure bosses? Is it not the same thing here?

SilentObserver
01-15-2007, 06:48 AM
There are a lot of excellent products that come out of Denmark. I think in the long term they will do fine.

Keltoi
01-15-2007, 04:05 PM
If Muslims feel they need to boycott Danish goods that is their right. Just as many Americans boycotted French goods at one point. However, a boycott of Danish goods isn't going to stop freedom of speech. If a newspaper editor or cartoon artist wishes to exercise this right they will.

MTAFFI
01-16-2007, 09:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
If Muslims feel they need to boycott Danish goods that is their right. Just as many Americans boycotted French goods at one point. However, a boycott of Danish goods isn't going to stop freedom of speech. If a newspaper editor or cartoon artist wishes to exercise this right they will.
you have to wonder if it may even provoke more cartoons

جوري
05-12-2010, 05:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
They exercise their right to free speech and we exercise our right to boycott them.. It is the least a Muslim can do!
I guess at some point they have to survey what is more important to them, libel and slander under the guise of free speech or having economic stability.. War is a ***** isn't it? and it takes many different forms. This is one of them.. they need to learn the consequences of their actions.. I am sure they'll do as well as any other third rate European nation with the current global economic mess.. they only seek to cement the final nail in their coffin insha'Allah!

all the best

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.