/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Jewish man kicked off a plane for praying.

therebbe
09-10-2006, 03:27 PM
Jews are required to pray three times a day. An airport is no exception.

Exerts from the Article:

Some fellow passengers are questioning why an Orthodox Jewish man was removed from an Air Canada Jazz flight in Montreal last week for praying. The man was a passenger on a Sept. 1 flight from Montreal to New York City when the incident happened. The airplane was heading toward the runway at the Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport when eyewitnesses said the Orthodox man began to pray.

"He was clearly a Hasidic Jew," said Yves Faguy, a passenger seated nearby. "He had some sort of cover over his head. He was reading from a book.

"He wasn't exactly praying out loud but he was lurching back and forth," Faguy added. (Jews bow and then sit up straight during prayers basically going back down and up, down and up.)

The action didn't seem to bother anyone, Faguy said, but a flight attendant approached the man and told him his praying was making other passengers nervous. Hasidic Rabbi Ronny Fine said he often prays on airplanes, but typically only gets curious stares.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ghazi
09-10-2006, 04:51 PM
:sl:

That's bad, man people seriously need to get a grip, they're more likely to be hit by a car then be part of a highjacking ect.

QuranStudy
09-10-2006, 04:53 PM
The Jew was kicked out because people thought he was Muslim.

Ghazi
09-10-2006, 04:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by QuranStudy
The Jew was kicked out because people thought he was Muslim.

True, it's simlar to the sikhs that were shot by idiots who thought they were muslims post 9/11.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muezzin
09-10-2006, 06:02 PM
People are so idiotic sometimes. They probably thought the guy was an 'Islamic militant' because he was talking in a language they didn't understand. I can't believe there are some who actually endorse this caveman paranoia in the name of 'safety'.

QuranStudy
09-10-2006, 06:23 PM
They probably thought the guy was an 'Islamic militant' because he was talking in a language they didn't understand. I can't believe there are some who actually endorse this caveman paranoia in the name of 'safety'.
The OP didnt show the entire story. The Jewish person was in fact kicked off because people though he was Muslim (by his prayer).

Muezzin
09-10-2006, 06:26 PM
The OP didnt show the entire story. The Jewish person was in fact kicked off because people though he was Muslim (by his prayer).
The people who thought that were just... ignorant. And yet, there are people who a few days ago were saying 'hey, if you wear an Arabic slogan on your T-shirt, or say anything in Arabic on a plane, you're asking for trouble!' I wonder if those same people would tell the poor man in this news story to stop being Jewish if he knows what's good for him.

Samee
09-10-2006, 06:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth

That's bad, man people seriously need to get a grip, they're more likely to be hit by a car then be part of a highjacking ect.
Exactly! People need to stop being so scared while on an airplane. They have banned everything except for the human fist nowadays.

There are more cases of people being hit by lightning for crying out loud.

Muezzin
09-10-2006, 06:32 PM
Superman said it best. 'I hope this incident hasn't put you off flying. Statistically, it's still the safest way to travel'.

I'd be more worried about snakes on a plane.

:p

therebbe
09-10-2006, 06:45 PM
I did not realise Muslims had black hats, kippot, dark suits, and went around telling people they were Jewish.

Do Muslims genrally look like this:

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-10-2006, 06:49 PM
lol, then their jus plain dumb. Im sure u realize that. Basically if they arent speaking English, praying in a similar fashion and have a "beard," theyll think hes Muslim..or in their dictionary...a terrorist...
People need to get a LIFE! honestly...
Their so caught up on claiming anyone to be a terrorist...they fail to see the difference..thats when you know their knowledge is limited.
If you know ur faith is true and are bound to it. Nothing should matter to you but that :)

therebbe
09-10-2006, 06:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tayyaba
lol, then their jus plain dumb. Im sure u realize that. Basically if they arent speaking English, praying in a similar fashion and have a "beard," theyll think hes Muslim..or in their dictionary...a terrorist...
People need to get a LIFE! honestly...
The flight attendant told people he was not Muslim, that he was Jewish and they still called for him to be kicked off.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-10-2006, 06:52 PM
Can u say pure ignorance?...i can...no respect...

chacha_jalebi
09-10-2006, 06:58 PM
the story is rather funny :p but its out of order :D:D:D:D:D and it jus shows people are racist! im sure if it was some christian man prayin, there wouldnt be such a big thing made!

therebbe
09-10-2006, 07:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
the story is rather funny :p but its out of order :D:D:D:D:D and it jus shows people are racist! im sure if it was some christian man prayin, there wouldnt be such a big thing made!
Jews pray a little differently then Christians. And Jews look much different then Christians and Muslims when it comes to dressing ritualy.

Muslims aren't required to wear a head covering at all times, and other things.

arabiyyah
09-10-2006, 07:01 PM
Thats pretty bad.

Woodrow
09-10-2006, 07:03 PM
Prejudice is prejudice, no matter what the people think the person is. It does not matter if the man was Muslim, Jewish, Buddhist, Sikh or whatever or if the passengers even thought he was a Tibitian Monk. The fact is he was put off the plan because he looked different and spoke a different language.

Prejudice is fear based on ignorance and false information.

aamirsaab
09-10-2006, 08:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Prejudice is fear based on ignorance and false information.
And those who are prejudice are easier to control.

Fishman
09-10-2006, 08:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by therebbe
Quite a lot do though.
:w:

QuranStudy
09-10-2006, 08:46 PM
It's not a "law" but its a perferrable act since Muhammad (pbuh) did it.

therebbe
09-10-2006, 08:48 PM
It's not a "law" but its a perferrable act since Muhammad (pbuh) did it.
Well. Jewish head coverings are very distinct. Black hats that Jews wear are also. I douby people mistaken him for a Muslim. Especially after the flight attendant told them he was not.

Woodrow
09-10-2006, 08:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab

Very true, historicaly prejudice and National Pride have been the most often used tools of dictators.

Prejudice is a covert form of terrorism, that just simmers until it explodes with overt actions.

A prejudice person is a potential terrorist who has not found a source for weapons. It is a very short trip to move from prejudism to terrorism. I believe a terrorist has to be highly prejudice and the only difference between a prejudiced person and a terrorist is the degree of prejudice.

QuranStudy
09-10-2006, 08:53 PM
Well. Jewish head coverings are very distinct. Black hats that Jews wear are also. I douby people mistaken him for a Muslim. Especially after the flight attendant told them he was not.
http://news.spirithit.com/images/upl..._Weiss_194.jpg

If it wasnt for the hat, it hard to tell if he's Muslim or Jew.

Woodrow
09-10-2006, 09:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab

i know I already responded to this, but after thinking a few minutes I would like to elaborate on it.

If I were to write a creed/manifesto for prejudicism it would read like this:

"I,(type name) being a solid and loyal supporter of (type in your Race, Nationailty or Religion) do swear to do all I can to uphold my values and will defend them to the death.

I believe that all (type in Race, Nationality or Religion)'s are out to destroy us and our way of life. They worship falsely, control all jobs and pollute our atmosphere. Their main goal is to destroy us and our way of life. None of us will be safe until they are destroyed."

Once a person believes like that and with conviction, it is a very simple thing for a fanatical, evil ruler to simply state that he/she is the primary supporter of (Whatever) and that he is out to defend the world from the evil ones.

With that said and if a sufficient number of the population is prejudiced a dictator will be born.

Muezzin
09-10-2006, 09:36 PM
The flight attendant told people he was not Muslim, that he was Jewish and they still called for him to be kicked off.
On the relatively brighter side, Woody Allen surely would have made a comedic scene out of that situation.

But really, are people so bigoted?

Woodrow
09-10-2006, 09:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
On the relatively brighter side, Woody Allen surely would have made a comedic scene out of that situation.

But really, are people so bigoted?
Where ignorance prevails you will find bigotry. Yes people are basicaly prejudiced. We all have prejudices. Prejudices in themselves do not have to be bad, it is how we handle our prejudices it becomes or does not become bigotry.

I strongly believe that as a Muslim I am following the right path and that all others have strayed. That is a biased statement. Based on that I am prejudiced.

But, I do believe that all non-Muslims should be granted the respect of having their own beliefs. They should be treated with equal kindness and justice, they are deserving of the same respect granted to all humans by the simple birth right of also being desendents of Adam(PBUH). the fact that a person is a non-Muslim does not justify for them to be treated unkindly or unfairly.

Muezzin
09-10-2006, 09:52 PM
I agree. I hope people calm down when they fly, and don't kick off any more law-abiding Jews or Muslims, or followers of any other religion for that matter, who are just minding their own business.

Two chances of that happening though - slim and fat. A pity.

Zulkiflim
09-11-2006, 04:09 AM
I did not realise Muslims had black hats, kippot, dark suits, and went around telling people they were Jewish.

Do Muslims genrally look like this:

Salaam,

Jew is a race,there are many Jew who are muslim ,dont you know,every eyar more and more jews convrt to Islam the world over.

And Muslim can wear anything dont you know?

As long as it cover what is needed to cover..

Zulkiflim
09-11-2006, 04:12 AM
Salaam,

But one thing to keep in mind is the abcklash on any religion..

Or perhaps the people on the plane or some of them knew about Mossad and the jewish jubilant on SEP 11..

Can be eithr one right..

AvarAllahNoor
09-11-2006, 09:33 AM

True, it's simlar to the sikhs that were shot by idiots who thought they were muslims post 9/11.
We should go round wearing tags i think!

UmmSqueakster
09-11-2006, 01:44 PM

I hope that jewish and muslim canadian groups will use this opportunity to band together to fight the discrimination we often face.

UmmSqueakster
09-11-2006, 01:56 PM
We complain loudly when people make broad statements about all muslims being terrorists, and yet, some of us will quickly turn around and make the same assumptions about jews.

This is an issue where we share a common problem and might be an in to building stronger relations and dispelling negative perceptions we have about each other.

QuranStudy
09-11-2006, 08:08 PM
Was the Jewish man allowed to complete his prayers before being kicked off? Or was he interrupted during his prayer??

Ninth_Scribe
09-11-2006, 08:14 PM

That's bad, man people seriously need to get a grip, they're more likely to be hit by a car then be part of a hijacking ect.
Too true. This is just a silly as the poor sod who wore the arabic T-Shirt. It's just not safe to be your selves any more without some jig-head trying to figure you out. Sigh.

Ninth Scribe

Rou
09-11-2006, 08:49 PM
wether a jew a christian or a muslim our world is in a moment of madness and looks to but fall deeper if good men stand by and let it happen the majority of idiots roaming this world are useless and have the brain a size of a pea they know nothing but to follow the masses that are led by ignorant yet powerful fools.

take what little knowledge the humankind has of religon and sanity and spread it to those who would listen we must raise ourselves from the fear and ignorance that we have been put in to...

north_malaysian
09-12-2006, 08:33 AM
That flight attendant and the airlines should be sued.

Sis786
09-12-2006, 12:23 PM

The action didn't seem to bother anyone, Faguy said, but a flight attendant approached the man and told him his praying was making other passengers nervous.
lol anything set the passengers off now! Let the man pray for goodness sakes

Chuck
09-12-2006, 03:30 PM
dude should sue the passengers and airline company.

Fishman
09-12-2006, 07:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
That flight attendant and the airlines should be sued.
Sue then give the money to charity, then you kill two birds with one stone. A greedy multinational company is damaged, and a whole load of needy people are helped.
:w:

ishkabab
09-12-2006, 08:22 PM
Well. Jewish head coverings are very distinct. Black hats that Jews wear are also.
u know i always use to think Abraham Lincoln was jewish cause of his outfit:D .....until i found out otherwise^o)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.