/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Watery eyes

aliyyah22
09-10-2006, 03:37 PM
Salaams. I was wondering what you sisters do when cutting onions to prevent your eyes from watering. My eyes water soooo much and burn and my nose too. Any suggestions?????:cry:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
afriend
09-10-2006, 03:41 PM
lol!

Sisters? :? :? :? I cut onions too ;D

Anyways, yeah I suffered from that for a while until I discovered how to tackle it.

When breathing through the nose, there is a gas that eminates from the onions and wreaks havoc in your sinuses which affects some unnamable glands near your eye and causes tears to come out.

Instead of breathing through the nose and smelling the onion smell, breathe through the nose and do not inhale any of the onion smell. :)

Starseeker
09-10-2006, 03:49 PM
Wear goggles or sunglasses? :coolious:

This one time I remember that we were haveing a food tech lesson and there were about 20 people chopping onions and not one person was crying and thats because he tagught us a 'secret method of chopping onions'

Apparently what makes you cry is at the bottom of the oninon so you should always cut that part last.

If I'm wrong about it being the bottom on the onion someone correct me I havent chopped on in 3 years. And if I'm right I hope that helps! :)

afriend
09-10-2006, 03:50 PM
how do you know which part is top and bottom :D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Starseeker
09-10-2006, 03:55 PM
The bottom is kinda flat like this _
And the top is kinda pointy like this ^

Does that answer your question? lol

afriend
09-10-2006, 03:57 PM
lol...No :p

I'm kidding...yeah I get you.

But what's the point, it's only gonna end up making you cry afterwards anyway...Best way is my breathing technique ;)

aliyyah22
09-10-2006, 04:00 PM
Well i cut onions like almost every single day...well probly 4 days for the week. But why should we cut the bottom of the onion last if that is the part that makes you cry...Dont you think we should cut off the bottom first and get it over with??? So after you cut off the bottom you will hav a good time cutting the rest of the onion:okay:

amirah_87
09-10-2006, 04:00 PM
As salaamu aalykum,

SubhanAllah my eyes are watering at this moment!!

I also tried that top bottom thing, but it never ever works for me.. my eyes water like crazy and my nose too!!!

I also heard that you peel the onoin and let it soak in water for a while....

but like the other this has'nt worked for me either sis!!

What I do is I cut the onions with my eyes shut, or i don't do nothing , they say tears clean out your eyes :mmokay:

- Qatada -
09-10-2006, 04:01 PM
:salamext:

Try chewing gum, or put some bread under your lip while your peeling them. insha'Allaah, you shouldn't get watery eyes that way. i dno if it works, but give it a try insha'Allaah.

:wasalamex

Umu 'Isa
09-10-2006, 04:01 PM
cutting onions in a little bit of water helps

aliyyah22
09-10-2006, 04:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iqram
lol...No :p

I'm kidding...yeah I get you.

But what's the point, it's only gonna end up making you cry afterwards anyway...Best way is my breathing technique ;)
But how do you breathe through your nose and not inhale the smell???there is no guarentee that you will not inhale the onions....Wouldn't breathing through your mouth be better?????:?

Starseeker
09-10-2006, 04:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aliyyah22
Well i cut onions like almost every single day...well probly 4 days for the week. But why should we cut the bottom of the onion last if that is the part that makes you cry...Dont you think we should cut off the bottom first and get it over with??? So after you cut off the bottom you will hav a good time cutting the rest of the onion:okay:
The thing is if you start from the top it doesnt end up making you cry when you get to the bottom if you know what I mean. It worked for me when I tried it but I've only ever cut oninions by hand once in my life:-[

Fi_Sabilliah you're advice cracked me up if I tried that infront of my mum she'd think I had mental Issues. But does it have to be gum your chewing or can it be any random food?

afriend
09-10-2006, 04:11 PM
But how do you breathe through your nose and not inhale the smell???there is no guarentee that you will not inhale the onions....Wouldn't breathing through your mouth be better?????:?
lol that's what I was saying, breathe through the mouth :uhwhat

- Qatada -
09-10-2006, 04:14 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by Starseeker
Fi_Sabilliah you're advice cracked me up if I tried that infront of my mum she'd think I had mental Issues. But does it have to be gum your chewing or can it be any random food?

It can be any food i think, because i think that by chewing something else - it distracts the senses of smelling somehow, or atleast decreases it.

It might be because chewing on something makes a person breathe more through their mouth instead of their nose. Which means that the nose won't smell alot of onion, so the eyes won't water that much either.

[You might have noticed how when you bang your nose - your eyes water, that's probably because your nose senses are linked to the eyes.] So like bro iqram said, just breathe more through the mouth instead of the nose insha'Allaah.

But Allaah Almighty knows best.

aliyyah22
09-10-2006, 04:15 PM
lol that's what I was saying, breathe through the mouth :uhwhat
Noo brother you did not say breathe through your nose. This is wat you said..lol.
"Instead of breathing through the nose and smelling the onion smell, breathe through the nose and do not inhale any of the onion smell"
:rollseyes hahaha

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
09-10-2006, 04:19 PM
LOL seems as if everyone has their own methods. I don't cook so I don't know.

aliyyah22
09-10-2006, 04:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by DaNgErOuS MiNdS
Well thats why i addressed it to sisters :giggling: Kidding !!!

aliyyah22
09-10-2006, 06:34 PM
i was now doing some research here...i read that if u put a match grain in your mouth with the sulpher part outside the sulpher will absorb the scent of the onions so it won't make your eyes water....:-\

------
09-10-2006, 06:40 PM
Soak the onions in water for 10 minutes, then start to cut them. Believe me, it helps.

Hijaabi22
09-10-2006, 06:45 PM
hahahahaha ..... interstin thread lol

Kittygyal
09-10-2006, 07:04 PM
salam.
why don't you just get a machine which breded all the onions i never cut them i got a breded machine.
w.salam

afriend
09-10-2006, 07:09 PM
Noo brother you did not say breathe through your nose. This is wat you said..lol.
"Instead of breathing through the nose and smelling the onion smell, breathe through the nose and do not inhale any of the onion smell"
:rollseyes hahaha
Well...the thing is...I'm tired and sleepy, so forgive me...It was a clear error that you could have read through.

Soak the onions in water for 10 minutes, then start to cut them. Believe me, it helps.
And then drink the water :rollseyes

aliyyah22
09-10-2006, 07:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
salam.
why don't you just get a machine which breded all the onions i never cut them i got a breded machine.
w.salam

Salaams

Yes i sometimes i use my food processor....But the only thing i find it is sooo much work to wash the processor after jus chopping a small piece of onion...lol
hahhaha

aliyyah22
09-10-2006, 07:13 PM
Well...the thing is...I'm tired and sleepy, so forgive me...It was a clear error that you could have read through.

And then drink the water :rollseyes
LOL i knew that it was an error..i was just Teasing...
Sorry

Kittygyal
09-10-2006, 07:15 PM
Salaams

Yes i sometimes i use my food processor....But the only thing i find it is sooo much work to wash the processor after jus chopping a small piece of onion...lol
hahhaha
salam.
i mean it either YOU or washing! simple washing is NOT hard breda! (just rince it out sipmle) :)
w.salam

afriend
09-10-2006, 07:15 PM
:uhwhat

sure thing sister..I'm magnetically attracted to being messed around with...In the cruel sense...:uhwhat

MusLiM 4 LiFe
09-10-2006, 07:20 PM
chew gum :D:D

u dnt wnt 2 c me afta iv cut onions.. :-\ trus me it cant b as bad as mine.. :(

or u shudnt peel onions at all.. :p if it dnt wrk

Rabi'ya
09-10-2006, 07:23 PM
:sl:

if u can - cut the onion under running water. try putting a plastic chopping board near the sink and running the water under it. or get a bowl of water and cutting the onion under the water. The fumes cant get to ur eyes if they're under water ;)

:w:

Rabi'ya:rose:

doodlebug
09-10-2006, 07:29 PM
If I'm using the onions in something that I'm actually cooking, like a stew, a soup or something, I just get the frozen chopped kind. End of problem and you can't tell the difference.

If the onions are for a salad or something like that I buy either the red onions or Vidalia onions and I just run water while I chop them and have some ventilation in the room. The type of onion you use really makes a difference and the red and the vidalia don't give me as much problem as the spanish onions used to.

Seriously though...try the frozen chopped for things you actually heat up. You will love how easy it is!:D

S_87
09-10-2006, 08:33 PM

they say putting a spoon in your mouth helps. but you risk looking like an idiot

sacred_rose
09-11-2006, 05:30 AM
in hospitality we were taught to put our onions in the fridge three hours before we start chopping it works trust me im a sook when it comes to chopping onions so i get my friends to chop them for me

Blondie14
09-11-2006, 08:16 AM
Well close ur eyes when ur cutting to prevent crying but make sur u open the once a while lol dont do that do wat my sis in real life sacred_rose said
it really works i think :D

Helena
09-11-2006, 08:25 AM
have been cutting oninons lately...welll i do it anyway....jus helping my mum in da kitchen...am kinda use it......no tearz at all....alhamdulilah...

oh yeah...i jus peel the onions...mum dse the cutting...she wants it to be nicely and thinly.....

there was a trick how to cut or peel onions...prevents from crying....cant remember.....soz sis....

sameer
09-11-2006, 12:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by DaNgErOuS MiNdS
hmm ^^well said bro- the best post in this thread!
I only deal with the other side of things - EATING!;D

sacred_rose
09-13-2006, 05:37 AM
yeah well i dont cook either i reckon the men should cook we do everything else so cook for urself and feed urself ur not babies ur grown men for goodness sake

sameer
09-13-2006, 07:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sacred_rose
yeah well i dont cook either i reckon the men should cook we do everything else so cook for urself and feed urself ur not babies ur grown men for goodness sake
:heated: :rollseyes :hiding: :thumbs_do

Mawaddah
09-13-2006, 07:10 PM
Hmmmmm......I peel and cut up onions just about everyday and my eyes never water alhamdulillah :rollseyes I guess I just got immune to it becaues I remember they used to water something awful in the years gone by, but I guess it's because all of this cooking I do my eyes just decided they'd better get used to it :p

Mawaddah
09-13-2006, 07:10 PM
Oh sis but then you'd starve if you asked the men around the house to cook :giggling:

DAWUD_adnan
09-13-2006, 07:15 PM
I dont know if som ealready said this but you should eat chewing gump because it get the taste thingies in yur tongue working makin the nose forget about the smells;-)

sameer
09-13-2006, 07:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mawaddah
Oh sis but then you'd starve if you asked the men around the house to cook :giggling:
not to mention the hosipitals would be overfilled with patients suffering from belly aches..
besides..i'm sure the sis who started this thread enjoys cooking for her husband.:rollseyes

Snowflake
09-13-2006, 07:21 PM
in hospitality we were taught to put our onions in the fridge three hours before we start chopping it works trust me im a sook when it comes to chopping onions so i get my friends to chop them for me
Three hours? :eek: Lol, they'd freeze so hard you'd need a saw to chop them!
15-20 mins in the freezer will do. But the best is like Maryam sis said, chopping them in a bowl of water.

H4RUN
09-13-2006, 07:27 PM
LoL hilarious thread, bless the sister who created this thread lol
i dont have a clue if it works, but a looooong time ago, in a far far land [minus the far far land :p] my teacher once said that if you whistle at the same time whilst chopping, it should prevent the tears flowing....
OR how hard can it be to just occupy yourself with something else??? i mean comon! lol mum says chop the onions...wat u should do is erm start praying, and if it's wrong time then, errr u can always start to read nafl :p or even tasbeeh.....
:D:p

sameer
09-13-2006, 07:31 PM
^^ good idea to get away from having to do the dishes...buh the sad thing is that it will still be waiting there for me after i'm finished.

sameer
09-13-2006, 07:33 PM
best way for the guys to chop onions and not cry .........

get a sister 2 do it for u . ;D

Snowflake
09-13-2006, 07:36 PM
^We don't mind........ as long as brothers do the dishes afterwards! :D

Mawaddah
09-13-2006, 07:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
^We don't mind........ as long as brothers do the dishes afterwards! :D
Yeah....and besides, thats' a way to strengthen husband/wife relationship innit :giggling:

H4RUN
09-13-2006, 07:46 PM
aryt aryt enuf us enuf lol we're borderlining the marriage thread stuff here people lol stick to onions :p

Snowflake
09-13-2006, 07:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mawaddah
Yeah....and besides, thats' a way to strengthen husband/wife relationship innit :giggling:
^Judging by Sameer bro I think not! ;D

If I started a business selling chopped onions, do you think they'd sell? :giggling:

sameer
09-13-2006, 08:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
^Judging by Sameer bro I think not! ;D

If I started a business selling chopped onions, do you think they'd sell? :giggling:
maybe........ but chopping what else causes watery eyes?

sacred_rose
09-14-2006, 02:04 AM
[QUOTE=Oh sis but then you'd starve if you asked the men around the house to cook QUOTE]

no we wont i would go to my mums house if i was married and besides i dont even know how to cook so he(future husband if i ever get married) will be the one starving while ill be at my parents house lol

Salmaan
09-14-2006, 07:33 AM
Salaams. I was wondering what you sisters do when cutting onions to prevent your eyes from watering. My eyes water soooo much and burn and my nose too. Any suggestions?????:cry:

Sometimes, we are emotionally depressed. At that time, often we cry. :rollseyes
So my suggestion is that when you are emotionally depressed, and when you feel like crying, that time you can cut the onions. :)
I am seriously saying this. :)

sameer
09-14-2006, 03:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Salmaan

So my suggestion is that when you are emotionally depressed, and when you feel like crying, that time you can cut the onions. :)

R u speaking from experience?

Snowflake
09-14-2006, 04:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sameer
maybe........ but chopping what else causes watery eyes?
Wicked!!! *THINKS ABT SELLING ONIONS* sunlight makes my eyes water big time..

format_quote Originally Posted by Salmaan

lolzzz how's that same as real crying? I know.. when sisters are chopping onions and hubby walks in, tell him ur crying because ur so tireddd. He'll be like ohhhhhh go and sit down, I'll do the cooking today!! ;D :)

Salmaan
09-14-2006, 05:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sameer
R u speaking from experience?
It was just a suggestion I gave. :)

Kittygyal
09-14-2006, 05:08 PM
salam.
end of people just go && buy an machine!
w.salam

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.