/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Don’t blame Islam for Helen’s death’

sonz
09-10-2006, 06:10 PM
By Deborah Kuiper

THE father of a Canonbie woman who died in the London bombings has broken his political silence to say we should not blame Islam for acts that were perpetrated by terrorists.

David Gould, whose step-daughter Helen Jones was killed in the Kings Cross bomb, has always resisted talking about his political views of the suicide bombers.

But now he has spoken out to repudiate attacks on the Islamic community.

He said: “Islam is a religion and a culture of great beauty where the true believer is bound by a code of ethics that forbids both murder and suicide. The majority of Muslims are both God-fearing and law-abiding and as such deserve our respect and understanding.”

He says we must not allow fear or blind prejudice to colour our view of the Muslim communities.

“On a local level we need to reject attacks on Muslim, Jewish or any community,”
he said.

“As a society we always have to have a whipping boy or bogey man. Back in the 1980s it was the IRA. The new bogey man of the world seems to be Osama bin Laden and his henchmen.

“I know from personal experience from talking with Muslims that the vast majority would have nothing to do with that at all.”

Since Helen’s death last year, Mr Gould has been researching the Islamic faith and has started to study the Koran.

He said: “I don’t want to be prejudiced. I want to find out and listen to things from their perspective.

“Initially there was a moment of blind anger but afterwards I realised that that wasn’t real,” added Mr Gould.

“Yes, I was angry – someone had just murdered my daughter. It makes you angry. But once that passed I realised I wasn’t angry at the Muslim community, far from it.

“The Muslim community have suffered as well. Five of the victims were Muslims. That shows how random this attack was and the way it was targeted completely indiscriminately. The only aim was to kill without worrying who they were killing.

“They may have thought of it as an attack on Britain, but out of 52 victims, 19 of them were from a country of origin other than this one,” said Mr Gould. “Unfortunately all religions can inspire the lunatic fringe of fundamentalist zealots, who pervert the purity of a system of beliefs and advocate violence.

“Perhaps if we tried instead to understand our fellows and reached out in friendship toward them we could move nearer to the ideals of peace both locally and nationally.”

The Muslim Council of Great Britain was among the first official bodies to condemn the July 7 bombings.

Mr Gould said, “It was committed by criminals who, to quote from the Muslim Council’s statement, have been utterly condemned.

“I am a great supporter of the peace movement. We have got to learn to listen to people before we blame them.”

http://www.cumberland-news.co.uk/new...aspx?id=409740

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ghazi
09-10-2006, 06:37 PM
:sl:

True say.

------
09-10-2006, 06:38 PM
"We have got to learn to listen to people before we blame them.”
Uh-huh. Yup.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-10-2006, 06:40 PM
Its good to know people try to look past whats going on.
Nice share

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muezzin
09-11-2006, 10:39 AM
Mr Gould has my condolences and he seems a wise man.

sameer
09-11-2006, 02:36 PM
He seems to have a an open/rational mind and i Pray that Allah guide him to islam. ameen

AHMED_GUREY
09-11-2006, 02:46 PM
He said: “Islam is a religion and a culture of great beauty where the true believer is bound by a code of ethics that forbids both murder and suicide. The majority of Muslims are both God-fearing and law-abiding and as such deserve our respect and understanding.”

He says we must not allow fear or blind prejudice to colour our view of the Muslim communities.

“On a local level we need to reject attacks on Muslim, Jewish or any community,” he said.
very wise and openminded man!

Woodrow
09-11-2006, 10:52 PM
David Gould is a friend of mine on another Islamic forum. I just invited him to come over here and see the nice words you all have said about him.

Yes, he is a very open-minded, understanding person. He has suffered much, yet holds a very forgiving heart.

Here is a link to David's newsblog on care2:

http://www.care2.com/c2c/share/sharebook/348731445

He is a truly good man.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-11-2006, 10:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
David Gould is a friend of mine on another Islamic forum. I just invited him to come over here and see the nice words you all have said about him.

Yes, he is a very open-minded, understanding person. He has suffered much, yet holds a very forgiving heart.
Ohhhh thats cool :D
Thats being a true human being i would think.

David Gould
09-11-2006, 11:41 PM
Thank you for your kind and welcoming words. As Woodrow has already said I come in peace and friendship to learn. On Saturday I received my Yusuf Ali translation of the Holy Qur'an and have started to read. Give me time as I read slowly so as to absorb what id said. I am hoping that being touch with this site and other Islamic sites I can be taught about the faith.

What the article didn't include was my hopes that by understanding and listening we can stop out wretched leaders (Blair/Bush) from walking into any more countries without invitations. I say this. It was not in my name.

If we are to hand on any kind of legacy to the future I am sure it will be one based on mutral willingness to listen, to learn, to understand and to share.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-11-2006, 11:45 PM
Hey
Peace to u
Welcome to the forum :)
There's no rushing in learning when it comes to Islam.
Take your time. Its better to go through slowly then rush it.

Woodrow
09-11-2006, 11:48 PM
Thank you for stopping in David. It is good to see you here. I also believe one of the keys to world peace is understanding. When we can all see each other as sharing passengers on this vehicle we call Earth.

Hopefully you will be a frequent visitor and share some of your thoughts with us.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.