/* */

PDA

View Full Version : how do you make pakoras?

Helena
09-11-2006, 09:57 AM
:sl:

am jus hoping someone can help moi...so i can learn to make pakora this year inshalah for ramadan...last year i made it...it turned out soo wrong....wallahi...

anybody knw? if u dnt mind...sharing ur secret recipe? if there is one.....lol....

it sounds weird.....seriously i need help inshalah....

i knw its not rocket science......but..but...the spice, flour...the amount and eveything confuses moi...

:w: :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Azhar786
09-11-2006, 10:23 AM
salaam
u use basan(flour) u get from the shop! u can add onoins spices salt to ur need stear them in water noy to much and u can dip patatoes in it as well! my favorite!!! then put them in oil until they go brown and take them out!! they do say men r better cooks then women lol
wsalaam

Helena
09-11-2006, 10:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Azhar786
salaam
u use basan(flour) u get from the shop! u can add onoins spices salt to ur need stear them in water noy to much and u can dip patatoes in it as well! my favorite!!! then put them in oil until they go brown and take them out!! they do say men r better cooks then women lol
wsalaam

wots basan flour? cant jus add plain flour from sainsbury? which type of spices is needed most? haldi, zeera, mirch or dhaniya......dunno

jus wanna make it for my mum....

Helena
09-11-2006, 10:28 AM
LOL...shukran for the sites...was about to search....

do have recipe book.....

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Yara Dil Dara
09-11-2006, 10:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by HAJI_HELENA
erm...i was asking about the recipe...the ingredients...not about da appearance...

stay on topic inshalah....
Sorry my bad.

Either way thank Allah he made Punjabi's unless the world wold have been fugly.

Here sis try:
http://www.pakirecipes.com/

Azhar786
09-11-2006, 10:35 AM
wots basan flour? cant jus add plain flour from sainsbury? which type of spices is needed most? haldi, zeera, mirch or dhaniya......dunno

jus wanna make it for my mum....
basan u get from asian shops if u hav 1near by go and ask them!!haldi not to much zeera just a small amount and the mirch use chilli powder and u can add dhaniya2
:w:

Helena
09-11-2006, 10:38 AM
basan u get from asian shops if u hav 1near by go and ask them!!haldi not to much zeera just a small amount and the mirch use chilli powder and u can add dhaniya2

ohhhh..basan mean chick pea flour rite? dnt have in my house at the moment....

sooo i simply add basan.....how many grams?
salt
onions..hw many?
bit of haldi....
zeera...slightly..about 1 spoon
chilli powder..
dhaniya...
also i can add any veggie....potatoes are best....

theres another pakora but its made wid dhal....the lentil is blended first....

Snowflake
09-11-2006, 10:42 AM
Ok, firstly everyone has their own version of the recipe. When you get used to making them, you'll see what I mean lol.

I'll give you two versions here.. But although we never measure the ingredients, I'll try my best to explain how much stuff u should add.

Ingredients
Gram flour, 2-3 onions, 2-3 potatoes, 3-4 green chillies, handful of fresh coriander, 2tbs dry coriander, red chilli powder, salt. Baking soda (if u want them fluffy) Oil for frying.

Method
Wash and chop potatoes, onions, fresh coriander and add to bowl.
Add about one and a half cups of gram flour.
Now little by little begin to add water stirring all the time. Be careful not to make mixture too runny. It should be of the consistency that if scooped up with a spoon it does not drip.

I left the spices until last so that you can add them according to your taste.
Roughly add 1tsp of chilli powder and same amount of salt to begin with.
Add heaped tbsp of dry coriander and mix.

Taste the mixture and adjust amount of chilli & salt if needed. (salt and chilli must taste a little stronger than how you'd prefer the final taste - as cooking reduces the flavour).

Mix everything properly as gram flour can get lumpy. Scoop table spoon size dollops and fry until golden brown.

----

2) Ingredients (this tastes just as good even with fewer ingredients)
Chop potatoes and onions. Add gram flour. Add salt and chilli and dry coriander. Fry.

----
I'll give u another one, which is not for pakoras but which you'll equally enjoy eating inshaAllah.

Spicy potato scallops.
Peel and slice potatoes as they are. e.g round shape. Not of more than 3-5 mm thickness.

Separately, make a paste of gram flour, salt, red chilli, garam masala. Not too thick and not too runny.

Dip potato slices in mixture and fry. Yummy.

Note: Dried pomogranate seeds can be added to pakoras for tangy flavour.
And I shall reveal my secret ingredient as well. For an extra zing, add tandoori masala to all the above recipes. (Optional of course!). Dry/fresh coriander can also be left out of pakoras.

What about the chutney?

1) Take 1-2 green chillies. Two handfuls of green coriander. Two cloves of garlic and grind with pestal and mortar. Add to plain yogurt and a generous pinch of salt. Nice with kebabs, pakoras and curries.

2) Add a generous pinch of salt and half a tsp of tandoori masala to cup of yogurt and beat well. Hey presto! A delightful dip for pakoras.

Happy Ramadhan! :giggling:

Helena
09-11-2006, 10:47 AM
shukran sis.....man am getting the idea.....need to get gram flour.....i'll check me cupboard...

u knw the potato spicy scallop...dse the potato need to bu cut into 4 pieces or cut into slilces?

shukran for the chutney...my mum makes da bset chutneys man.....

Snowflake
09-11-2006, 10:50 AM
shukran sis.....man am getting the idea.....need to get gram flour.....i'll check me cupboard...

u knw the potato spicy scallop...dse the potato need to bu cut into 4 pieces or cut into slilces?

shukran for the chutney...my mum makes da bset chutneys man.....
Ur wc sis. For the scallops slice the potatoes like crisps. Gol Mol like this >>> O Lol!

Awww ur mom's chutneys sound delicious :okay:

Helena
09-11-2006, 10:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
Ur wc sis. For the scallops slice the potatoes like crisps. Gol Mol like this >>> O Lol!

Awww ur mom's chutneys sound delicious :okay:

shukran for that sis...am gna practice this out now inshalah...will let u knw da result...

so for the scallop..jus make the paste and dip the potates and fry it.....okay sounds easy.....am printing ur info out....

S_87
09-11-2006, 01:33 PM

you mean bajjaas :p have ya ever tried corn in them? it tastes real nice.

Mawaddah
09-11-2006, 01:39 PM
Yum Yum Yum these pakoras sound great :D I'm going to try them this ramadhan Insha'allah.
The Indian/Guyanese over here make these kind of fritters using basan flour also but it doesn't have any potatos or anything in it but they put alot of turmeric and they call it "palawri" or something like that:?

Ibn Abi Ahmed
09-11-2006, 01:42 PM

Pakoras are awesome :D I wish i knew how to make them :lol:

Snowflake
09-11-2006, 01:46 PM
shukran for that sis...am gna practice this out now inshalah...will let u knw da result...

so for the scallop..jus make the paste and dip the potates and fry it.....okay sounds easy.....am printing ur info out....
lolol ok sis. I hope they turn out nice. Get practicing before Ramdhan then you can make them with confidence when the time comes.

If they don't turn out well, I'll measure the ingredients the next time I make them inshaAllah. And yeah just dip the potatoes in the paste/batter and fry. Oh and add a good pinch of baking powder in it.

format_quote Originally Posted by Ähmed

Pakoras are awesome :D I wish i knew how to make them :lol:

You still don't know? :confused:

S_87
09-11-2006, 01:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mawaddah
Yum Yum Yum these pakoras sound great :D I'm going to try them this ramadhan Insha'allah.
The Indian/Guyanese over here make these kind of fritters using basan flour also but it doesn't have any potatos or anything in it but they put alot of turmeric and they call it "palawri" or something like that:?

is it fried? :?
thats bajjas too :lol:

Helena
09-11-2006, 01:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani

you mean bajjaas :p have ya ever tried corn in them? it tastes real nice.
nooooo...i havt it....is it the same ingredients and stuff....jus made fish cakes...hmmmmm...tasty....am jus making diff dishes...practice before making it for ramadan!!!!!!

Helena
09-11-2006, 01:53 PM
muslimah sis...add baking powder to da scallop too?

S_87
09-11-2006, 01:58 PM
nooooo...i havt it....is it the same ingredients and stuff....jus made fish cakes...hmmmmm...tasty....am jus making diff dishes...practice before making it for ramadan!!!!!!

i dont know :? i dunno how to make any of them, just know that with carn it gives this nice sweety crunch. and FISH CAKES. dya mean the salt fish cakes? i want some of that :cry: no not some loads.:hiding:

Helena
09-11-2006, 02:00 PM

i dont know :? i dunno how to make any of them, just know that with carn it gives this nice sweety crunch. and FISH CAKES. dya mean the salt fish cakes? i want some of that :cry: no not some loads.:hiding:
yeah its dat fish cakes.....am jus trying out...

2moro i'll make pakora...den da potato scallops...den aubergines scallop.....

wish i cud give it to somehow.....

S_87
09-11-2006, 02:05 PM
yeah its dat fish cakes.....am jus trying out...

2moro i'll make pakora...den da potato scallops...den aubergines scallop.....

wish i cud give it to somehow.....

:lol: ill buy the dried fish .they dont sell it everywhere here though :grumbling but i love love love them! with ketchup

potato and aubergine scallops meaning what? :? is it a snack or do you mean like scallop potatoes?

Helena
09-11-2006, 02:07 PM

:lol: ill buy the dried fish .they dont sell it everywhere here though :grumbling but i love love love them! with ketchup

potato and aubergine scallops meaning what? :? is it a snack or do you mean like scallop potatoes?
its a snack sis.....slice the potatoes dip it into paste...den fry it....rid the first page of this thread....sis muslimah explained it...

Snowflake
09-11-2006, 02:35 PM
muslimah sis...add baking powder to da scallop too?
Yeah, add a good pinch to the batter. It'll keep the batter soft and fluffy.

Mawaddah
09-11-2006, 03:06 PM

You was in born in Barbados right? I was over by my friends house the other day , shes from there also and she made these 'fish cakes' ( I call them fritters :rollseyes coz you deep fry em ) from salt fish and a whole bunch stuff and they were yummmmmyyyyy :wub:

S_87
09-11-2006, 04:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mawaddah
You was in born in Barbados right? I was over by my friends house the other day , shes from there also and she made these 'fish cakes' ( I call them fritters :rollseyes coz you deep fry em ) from salt fish and a whole bunch stuff and they were yummmmmyyyyy :wub:

yup yup thats what im meaning! *mouth waters*

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
09-11-2006, 04:51 PM
[BANANA]It's all about the chicken Pokoras[/BANANA]

I always find it really funny how Pokoras and smosas are prenounced in English.;D

09-11-2006, 04:52 PM
yum yum.... also put lemon juice in pakoras it tastes dee-licious :)

Kittygyal
09-11-2006, 04:58 PM
salam.
whats are these Pakoras the name sounds funny sowiee people but it does :X it's it health food or not?? is it some kinda asian curry?
w.salam

Mawaddah
09-11-2006, 06:31 PM
^ Kinda like Vegetable fritters from what I can make out, or vegetables dipped in batter and deep fried, sounds nice :)

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
09-11-2006, 06:41 PM
Here

Kittygyal
09-11-2006, 07:07 PM
salam.
oh me seen the Samossas so the browny thing is Pokars?
w.salam

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
09-11-2006, 07:14 PM
yeah

Helena
09-11-2006, 07:17 PM
LOL...shukran for the pic.....man making da pokaros or pokara 2moro inshalah...jus practising...till it becomes tasty enough.....

but i'll def cum crawlings to muslimah sis and the others, if anything goes wrong....

Azhar786
09-12-2006, 09:46 AM
LOL...shukran for the pic.....man making da pokaros or pokara 2moro inshalah...jus practising...till it becomes tasty enough.....

but i'll def cum crawlings to muslimah sis and the others, if anything goes wrong....

2/3 cup gram flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
5 tablespoons cold water
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon cumin powder
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup peeled and chopped potatoes
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1 teaspoon salt
1 pinch saffron

Azhar786
09-12-2006, 09:48 AM
VEG PAKORAS

1 1/2 cups chickpea flour, sifted
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon black pepper, ground
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
4 tablespoons ghee (or oil)
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
3 teaspoons coriander powder
1/2 teaspoon hing
1/4 teaspoon baking powder

Azhar786
09-12-2006, 09:50 AM
Sooji Pakodi

Ingredients

2 Cups of Sooji (cream of wheat)
1/4 Cup of Rice flour
11/2 cup of Curd
1/4 turmeric
1/2 tsp chilli powder
2 green chillies finely chopped
1 Onion
Coriander leaves finely chopped
Oil for frying pakodi's
Salt to taste

Method

Cut the chillies and onion into small pieces.
Mix all the above ingredients along with the onions and chillies with the curd and water .
Heat oil in kadai. When the oil is hot enough, drop the small quantity of mixed dough into the hot oil and fry them till they are golden colour.
Serve hot with tomato ketchup.
Making time: 30 minutes and can serve 6 persons.

Azhar786
09-12-2006, 09:51 AM
SALAAM SIS SOMETHIN TO KEEP U BUSY WITH!!

Dodhi Kofta

Ingredients

Doodhi/Lauki – 1 med size tender ones(grated)
Potato – 2 small ones(boiled)
Bread – 1.5 slices
Besan – 1 tsp(optional)
Cumin powder – 3/4 tsp
Chilli powder –1 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil for frying

Method

1.Take a pan and add the grated lauki .
2.Keep stirring till all the water evaporates.
3.Turn off the gas and add all the above ingredients and mix well.
4.You can add 1 tsp of Besan/gram flour if you want.
5.Make small balls.
6.Heat oil in a pan and fry the koftas till golden brown.
7.8.Drain them on a tissue paper and set aside.

Ingredients for Gravy

Onion minced – 1
Garlic minced – 2 cloves
Ginger minced – 1/2”
Tomatoes chopped – 2 ripe ones
Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
Chilli powder – 1 tsp
Green chillies slit – 2
Salt to taste
Oil – 4 tbsp
Cummin seed – 3/4 tsp
Bada elichi/cardamon black – 1 (optional)
Tej patta – 1(optional)
Laung/Clove – 2 (optional)
Coriander - chopped

Method for Gravy

Take oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds, tej patta ,elichi ,laung .
Once it splutters add the onion, garlic and ginger.
Stir till it is golden brown and the green chilli and fry for sometime then add the tomatoes.
Keep stirring till the tomatoes melt.
Add salt and 1.5 cups water ( or depending upon how thick you want the gravy to be).
Let it cook on a med flame for sometime.
Garnish it with chopped coriander.
Add the koftas just before serving. Serve with chappatis or rice..
Adjust the spice to your taste

WSALAAM
HAPPY COOKING!!

Azhar786
09-12-2006, 09:55 AM
Bread Pakora with Paneer

Ingredients

Sandwich bread - 6-8 slices
Paneer or cottage cheese- 100gm
Onion-1
Garam masala- 1 1/2 tsp.
Chilli powder- 1 tsp.
Ginger garlic paste - 1/2 tsp.
Gram flour or besan - 1 cup
Salt to taste
Water
Oil for deep-frying

Method

1.Chop the onions.
2.Grate paneer.
3.Heat 1 tbsp of oil and add ginger garlic paste, onions.
4.Sauté for sometime.
5.Add paneer, salt, chilli powder, garam masala and sauté for some more time.
6.Keep Aside.
7.Remove edges from the bread and cut them diagonally to get triangle shapes.
8.Mix a pinch of salt with gram flour and add a cup of water to make a batter of thick consistency.
9.On one triangle bread slice keep the paneer filling and keep another slice on top of it.
10.Heat oil in a kadai. In the meantime make all the sandwiches and keep them ready.
11.Once the oil is hot dip the sandwich in the batter and fry them till golden brown.
12.Drain on absorbent paper.
13.Serve hot with tomato sauce or date and tamarind chutney.
Variations:

Instead of paneer you can make chutney out of coconut and peanuts and use for stuffing.
Mango powder or amchur can be added to the batter to give a tangy taste

Azhar786
09-12-2006, 09:59 AM
Corn Pakora

Ingredients

Corn - 2 full size
Besan/chick pea flour - 1 cup
Kasoori meethi - 2 tea spoon
onion - small, finely chopped
green chilli - 2,finely chopped
ginger paste - 1/2tea spoon
finely chopped coriander

SEASONING :
1/2 tea spoon chilli powder 1/2 tea spoon coriander powder 1/2 tea spoon turmeric powder 1/2 tea spoon sauf 4-5 cloves 5-6 black pepper (Both are finely ground) salt as per taste oil for deep frying

Method

In a bowl mix corn , besan , kasoori meethi, chopped onion, chilli and ginger paste with all seasoning.
)Continue mixing all above ingredients to make batter of thick consistency (water added if needed).
Heat oil in a kadhai to a moderate heat , spoon the batter with a table spoon into hot oil and deep fry till it turns crispy and golden brown .
Drain on a paper towel to remove excess oil.
serve hot with chutney of your choice.
NOTE : As the corn available are soft and milky so corn seeds can be easily removed with the help of knife.

PREPARATION TIME : 20 minutes.
Serve for 3-4 people.

Azhar786
09-12-2006, 10:00 AM
Methi Pakoras

Ingredients

1 bunch of Methi leaves.
1 small bunch of Cilantro leaves
3 to 4 Chillies minced
1 tablespoon Red Chilli powder
1/4 tablespoon Haldi powder
1 cup Wheat Flour
1-1/2 cup Besan
1/4 tablespoon Cooking Soda
2-3 tablespoons of Curd .(you can add more if you want)
1/2 tablespoon Sugar
1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
Salt to taste

Method:

Wash and clean the methi leaves and cilantro leaves and chop them.
In a bowl add cut leaves and all the above ingredients except the soda and make a batter. See to it that the batter should be the one like you make vadas , it should not be thin otherwise you won't be able to fry the pakoras. You can add a little water to make it thin. But not very thin remember.
You can add 1-1/2 tablespoon of oil in the batter and mix the soda and stir it very well.
Put oil in a kadai and make small balls with hand just the way you fry any pakoras and fry it till crispy brown.
Serve hot with cilantro chutney. Enjoy.

Azhar786
09-12-2006, 10:03 AM
Cashewnut Pakoras

Ingredients

Cashewnut (unsalted) 200gms
Chana Flour 2cups
Curry leaves
Cilantro leaves(dry)
Ginger 2-3inches
garlic 2-3 cloves
salt
Green chillies 3-4
oil 1 tsp
Vegetable oil for deep frying

Method:

Grate ginger garlic and green chillies or make a paste of them and mix all above ingredients with a little.
The mixture should be really hard in consistency.
Heat vegetable oil and put small portions of the mixture into it and fry them till golden brown.

Azhar786
09-12-2006, 10:05 AM
Cottage Cheese Pakoras

Ingredients

Small curd cottage cheese- 1 cup
All purpose flour- 1 1/2 cups.
Rice flour- 2 table spoons
Onion- 1 big
Green chillies- 4
Cilantro- 1/2 a bunch
Salt-to taste.
Oil for deep frying.

Method

Finely chop the Onions, Green Chillies & Cilantro.
Mix it with all the above ingredients to make a thick, sticky paste.
Deep fry in oil like pakoras.
Serve it hot with Cilantro chutney/Tomato ketchup

Azhar786
09-12-2006, 10:06 AM
Cabbage pakoras

Ingredients

1 small cabbage finely chopped
4 green chillies chopped
2 cup gram flour
1 cup rice flour
1 small bunch coriander leaves finely chopped
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
6 teaspoon salt (adjust the amount according to taste)
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon chilli powder
1/4 teaspoon asafoetida

Method:

Mix the above ingredients with enough water to a thick batter. Heat oil.
With a small rounded spoon drop the batter in the hot oil and deep fry under medium heat until golden brown.

Azhar786
09-12-2006, 10:08 AM
Mixed Dal Pakoras

Ingredients

1 cup channa dal
1/2 cup moong dal
1/2 cup masoor dal
1/4 cup urad dal
1/4 cup tur dal
corriender seeds 2tbsp
cummin seeds 2tbsp
half inch ginger
5 to 6 cloves of garlic
corriender leaves or fresh spinach chopped 1/2 cup
3-4 hot medium sized green chillies
salt to taste
a pinch of baking soda
oil for deep frying

Method

Wash dals and soak them separately.
Make smooth paste of ginger, garlic, green chillies, corriender seeds and cummin seeds then grind above soaked dals into a coarse paste mix the smooth paste also add salt and pinch of baking soda to the coarse paste.
Add chopped spinach or corriender leaves to it.
Heat oil in pan or kadai.
Make small balls or drop with small spoon in preheated oil and fry till light brown .Eat hot with tomato ketchup or fresh ground mango chutney.
If you have any doubt or questions call 732-360-9363 (in between 2-30 to 4-30 eastern time)

Azhar786
09-12-2006, 10:10 AM
Vegetable Fritters

1 c Chickpea flour (besan) 1/2 ts Asafetida (optional)
1/2 c Unbleached all-purpose flour 1/4 ts Cayenne pepper
1/2 ts Baking soda 1 1/4 c Cold water
3/4 ts Cream of tartar 2 tb Lemon juice
1/4 ts Sea salt Oil, for frying
1 ts Cumin powder 1 c Sliced potatoes
(1/4" thick)
1 ts Coriander powder 1 c Cauliflower florets
1 ts Tumeric 1 c Chopped bell pepper

Blend flours, baking soda, cream of tartar, salt and spices.

Gradually whisk in water and lemon juice to make a smooth batter the
consistency of heavy cream. Set aside.

Heat about 3" oil in a large skillet or deep fryer.

Dip vegetables in batter to coat. Immerse in hot oil, turning to cook
evenly, until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon
and drain on absorbent paper.

Cover and place in a warm oven while cooking remaining pakoras.

Azhar786
09-12-2006, 10:41 AM
Ingredients Quantity

Meat (Mutton / Chicken / Prawn) 500-700 GMS. (small cubes)
Mehran Gold Rice 500-700 GMS. (wash and soak for 30-40 minutes)
Onion 300 GMS. (4 pcs. Sliced)
Tomatoes 300 GMS. (4 pcs. Chopped)
Ginger 2 tablespoons (paste)
Garlic 2 tablespoons (paste)
Yoghurt 100 GMS. (1 cup, plain)
Ghee / Oil 150 GMS. (1 ½ cup)
Mehran biryani Masala 50 GMS. (1 packet)

Preparation Method
In hot oil fry onion till golden brown.

Add tomatoes and fry till the tomatoes juice nearly dries.

Add meat, yoghurt, garlic, ginger, and Mehran Biryani Masala and cook for 15 minutes. Add 2 cups of water. Cook on low flame till meat is tender and gravy thickens.

In 6 glasses of boiling water add 2 tablespoons of salt and the soaked Mehran Gold Rice and boil till ¾th.is cooked.

Drain Rice spread meat curry over rice in layers, sprinkle biryani colour, keep on low flame till rice is cooked, mixed before serving.

Serve pipping hot Mehran Biryani with fresh salad, raita and Mehran's mango and Chilli Pickles.

Helena
09-12-2006, 12:39 PM
woah......bro azhar soo many recipes.........:uuh: :uuh: :uuh: .......

def will keep moi busy in da kitchen..............

shukran bro........:)

Azhar786
09-12-2006, 04:01 PM
sister anythin else u would like to learn?

Helena
09-12-2006, 04:37 PM
sister anythin else u would like to learn?
erm...for now....nooooo...........

2moro inshalah am gna practice da pokaras..bought gram flour ad baking powder......and and and practice potatoes and aubergine scallop...will let everybody knw da end result inshalah.......

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-12-2006, 04:38 PM
mmmmm Pakora..makin me hungry lol

Salmaan
09-13-2006, 09:34 AM

Don't we get ready made pakoras in restaurants ?

Instead of making them, we can order them directly, isn't it ?

So those who don't know how to make pakoras can order from restaurants :D

Helena
09-13-2006, 11:28 AM
am i dnt live in ahotel.....living in a house..i cud buy it from da resturants or takeaway shop......but i wanna make it myself..learn soomething for a change....

finally am making da pokaros now...am soo nervous...wish i cud share it wid u all...cudve given moi a review on it.......:)

Azhar786
09-13-2006, 11:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Salmaan

Don't we get ready made pakoras in hotels ?

Instead of making them, we can order them directly, isn't it ?

So those who don't know how to make pakoras can order from hotels :D

ready made dont taste as gud as home made trust me

Azhar786
09-13-2006, 11:38 AM
am i dnt live in ahotel.....living in a house..i cud buy it from da resturants or takeaway shop......but i wanna make it myself..learn soomething for a change....

finally am making da pokaros now...am soo nervous...wish i cud share it wid u all...cudve given moi a review on it.......:)

they are the simplest thing u can ever make sis inshallah they will turn out nice:thumbs_up

Helena
09-13-2006, 01:25 PM
jus made them...wallahi it turned out good....way way good....for a first timer...not bad at all...alhamdulilah....my mum loved it...jus waiting for my lil bro to cum home.......

u were rite...its the simplest thing...man i was making all hard for myself.....

shukran for everybodies help....i knw how to make....alhamdulilah....

ive done somasa, pokara, fish cakes.....need to learn potatoes scallops...will do that soon inshalah....

shukran man......im soo :) :) :) :) :) ...............

Hijaabi22
09-14-2006, 08:33 AM
ha ha haaaaaaaaa am jus remeberin my attempt to make pakoras, when fryin em they all got stuk 2geda so ended up wis one big pakora aaaaaaaaaaahahahahhaaaaaaaa

Helena
09-14-2006, 08:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by -----------
ha ha haaaaaaaaa am jus remeberin my attempt to make pakoras, when fryin em they all got stuk 2geda so ended up wis one big pakora aaaaaaaaaaahahahahhaaaaaaaa
LOL.....woah u cracked moi up sis.....lol......

after making da pokara.....alhamdulilah its pretty easy.....my lil bro had the whole load that i made......kept some for my dad.......

Azhar786
09-14-2006, 10:29 AM
SCALLOPED POTATO BAKE

8 c. thinly sliced pared potatoes
1/2 c. finely chopped onion
1 (10 1/2 oz.) can cream of mushroom soup
1 (10 1/2 oz.) can celery soup
1 c. milk

Spread 4 cups sliced potatoes in bottom of 12 x 7 x 2 inch baking dish. Combine remaining ingredients along with 3/4 teaspoons salt and a dash of pepper. Pour half of mixture over potatoes. Repeat layers. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Uncover and bake 30 to 45 minutes longer.

Azhar786
09-14-2006, 10:39 AM
try samosas sis

2 cups/8 oz/250 g
1/2 tsp/1.25 g
2 tbsp/1 oz/30g
4-6 tbsp

Filling:
1 oz/30 g
2 cloves
1 in/2.5 cm piece
1/2 tsp/2.5 g
1/2 tsp/2.5 g
11/2 cups/12 oz/375 g
1 tsp/5 g
2 tsp/10 g

plain flour
salt
butter
water

butter
onion, finely chopped
garlic
green chili peppers, seeded & chopped
fresh root ginger, grated
ground turmeric
hot chili powder
lean minced beef or lamb
salt
Garam masala
juice of 1/2 lemon
oil for deep frying

Method:

Sift flour and salt into a bowl. Rub in the butter, then mix in enough water to form a pliable dough. Knead for 10 minutes, then set aside.

To make the filling, melt the butter in a frying pan. Add onion, garlic, chili peppers, and ginger and fry for 5-7 minutes, or until onion is golden.

Stir in turmeric and chili powder, then add meat and salt. Fry, stirring, until meat is cooked and mixture is fairly dry. Stir in garam masala and lemon juice; cook for 5 minutes more. Remove pan from heat and allow to cool.

Divide dough into 15 balls. Flatten each ball and roll out to a paper-thin circle about 4 in/10 cm in diameter. Dampen the edges of each circle with water and shape into cones. Fill each cone with filling, then pinch them securely together to seal.

Deep fry samosas in batches in hot oil for 2-3 minutes or until golden-brown. Drain on paper towels and serve.

Variation:

For a vegetarian samosa, make the filling by frying 1 small chopped onion and 1 tsp/5 g grated fresh root ginger in 1 small chopped onion and 1 tsp/5 g grated fresh root ginger in 1 tbsp/5 ml ghee until soft.

Stir in 12 oz/375 g cold mashed potato, 2 tsp/10 g garam masala and 1 tbsp/15 ml mango chutney. Cook over moderate heat until mixture is fairly dry, then cool. Substitute for the meat filing in the main recipe.

Helena
09-14-2006, 06:24 PM
shukran for the somosa recipe...erm dnt need that......i can make keema somosa, tikka somosa and aloo somosa...no problem wid that....jus add problem wid pokoras now its been solved...alhamdulilah......:)

Azhar786
09-14-2006, 07:05 PM
anythin else u need to learn just let me know sister

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-14-2006, 07:13 PM
mmm pakoras...LOL...cant stop thinking that :hiding:

Helena
09-14-2006, 07:17 PM
anythin else u need to learn just let me know sister
Inshalah will..anytime...inshalah

Hijaabi22
09-14-2006, 07:58 PM
LOL.....woah u cracked moi up sis.....lol......

after making da pokara.....alhamdulilah its pretty easy.....my lil bro had the whole load that i made......kept some for my dad.......
lol jus make sure u dont cram em all up 2gead ;D

Ghazi
09-14-2006, 08:02 PM

Jazzakallah for the recipies so what time can I expect my food to come through the post, Jeez what do I pay you people for.

Salmaan
09-15-2006, 10:37 AM
masha'Allah :)
this ramadhan we can learn here inshaAllah what delicious recipes we can make for breaking of fast (iftari) :D

Snowflake
09-15-2006, 10:39 AM
salaam

SCALLOPED POTATO BAKE

3 tbsp. butter
3 tbsp. flour
2 c. milk
4-5 lg. baking potatoes
1 lg. onion, chopped
1 c. cubed cooked ham
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
4 c. (1 lb.) shredded American cheese

Melt butter in heavy saucepan over low heat. Add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually stir in milk, cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly.
Peel and cut potatoes into 1/4 inch slices. Layer 1/2 of potato slices, onion, ham, salt, pepper, cheese and white sauce in order given in 1 1/2 quart casserole dish. Repeat. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 2 hours. Serves 8.
deemagh theek ae ki? Cooked Ham? :offended: bro dont jus copy recipes off the net without even reading them man! lol huh

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.