/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The popes 6-day visit in Germany costs more than 50 Million Euro

SolveEtCoagula
09-11-2006, 06:24 PM
The popes 6-day visit in Germany costs more than 50 Million Euro

link is in german:
http://linkszeitung.de/content/view/53144/72/

HOLY KITSCH - Pope Takes Marketing Cue from FIFA World Cup

By Alexander Linden and Peter Wensierski

As the pope prepares for his upcoming visit to Bavaria, the Vatican has embarked on an unprecedented campaign to market the leader of the Roman Catholic Church. By selling official fan paraphernalia, the church plans to turn a profit from the hype surrounding Pope Benedict XVI.

The "Hutkönig," or "King of Hats," has been in its location across from the cathedral in the southern German city of Regensburg for five generations. The time-honored hat making business, where good taste is de rigueur, has counted royal and princely families among its clientele. But this year "Hutkönig" appears to be making a small exception to its traditional fare. Its latest model, the "Benedict," has been on display in the shop's window for the past few days. The creation, in the style of a Don Camillo hat, is available in five versions. The most exclusive -- in rabbit fur felt with a red velour hatband -- is priced at a steep €598.

Continue to read:
http://service.spiegel.de/cache/inte...434972,00.html

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
therebbe
09-11-2006, 07:08 PM
And... your point?

azim
09-11-2006, 07:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by therebbe
And... your point?
Perhaps the money could have been spent on poor starving children (that sounds like such a cliche these days - sad if you think about it).

QuranStudy
09-11-2006, 07:45 PM
50 millions Euros??? There are 50 million children who will die of starvation!!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
brainiac
09-11-2006, 07:55 PM
I don't like it when people try to tell me how to spend my money. I wouldn't tell anyone else what to do with theirs.

therebbe
09-11-2006, 08:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by QuranStudy
50 millions Euros??? There are 50 million children who will die of starvation!!
Yes, but does the Pope now have blood on his hands?

azim
09-11-2006, 08:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by therebbe
Yes, but does the Pope now have blood on his hands?
I hope not - since if he did - that would mean we have blood on our hands for our in action on situations that occur everyday (30,000 African children die every day from preventable causes such as famine and drought).
I don't like it when people try to tell me how to spend my money. I wouldn't tell anyone else what to do with theirs.
No ones telling you to spend your money in any way at all (unless your the pope - are you?).

Although I'm sure you don't take such a defensive approach to adverts on TV, billboards etc... when they're telling you to spend your money too.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
09-11-2006, 09:02 PM
:sl:

15:3. Leave them to eat and enjoy, and let them be preoccupied with (false) hope. They will come to know!

:w:

therebbe
09-11-2006, 09:04 PM
I hope not - since if he did - that would mean we have blood on our hands for our in action on situations that occur everyday (30,000 African children die every day from preventable causes such as famine and drought).
That was the point I was trying to make. Thank you. :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.