/* */

PDA

View Full Version : ramadan and losing weight

doodlebug
09-11-2006, 07:26 PM
So...has anyone who has been through at least a few years of Ramadan ever lost weight during this time?:?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
MusLiM 4 LiFe
09-11-2006, 07:28 PM
LOL i think u put on more weight! cuz u fastn 4 da whole day and wen it gets 2 iftaar u juz stuffin yaself innit? LOL i do dat every yr, dis yr ima b good :D

QuranStudy
09-11-2006, 07:31 PM
I eat once a day (on diet). Lost 6 pounds in one week. I expect better results when I actually start fasting :)

MusLiM 4 LiFe
09-11-2006, 07:32 PM
u eat once a day? say wha? :rollseyes

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
chacha_jalebi
09-11-2006, 07:32 PM
salaam

yesh you do put weight on, because @ sehri time when you wake up and eat, and then pray and sleep, your most likely to put weight on, because when you eat & sleep you put weight on, and then most likely people dont watch what they eat :p when openin fast

Muezzin
09-11-2006, 07:54 PM
Everyone has insisted I've been constantly losing weight since I was like, 17, ramadan or no. It's actually quite irritating, as I eat like a typical bloke. Must be my metabolism or something.

Anyway, you could potentially lose weight in ramadan but it's important to remember that the primary goal of fasting is not to find an alternative to Atkins. :)

limitless
09-11-2006, 07:58 PM
I haven't really constantly fastesd in Ramaden. This is going to be my first time fasting the entire month, I hope I lose weight instead of gaining and my past sins are forgiven (inshallah).

sameer
09-11-2006, 08:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by limitless
I haven't really constantly fastesd in Ramaden. This is going to be my first time fasting the entire month, I hope I lose weight instead of gaining and my past sins are forgiven (inshallah).
how come u didnt hope to have sins forgiven b4 losing weight? :okay:

UmmSqueakster
09-11-2006, 08:17 PM
:sl:

I usually lose weight during Ramadan. I try to avoid the temptation to stuff myself silly during iftar, which is difficult to do when you go to the ones at the masjid and there is tons and tons of delicious food available.

However, I ask myself what the point of fasting is if I consume more food than I do when I'm not fasting? Plus, if you stuff yourself, you get sleepy during taraweeh.

Imam al Ghazali discussed this in his discussion on fasting, that can be found in his Ilya.

format_quote Originally Posted by al Ghazali
Not to over-indulge in lawful food at the time of breaking Fast, to the point of stuffing one's belly. There is no receptacle more odious to God, Great and Glorious is He, than a belly stuffed full with lawful food. Of what use is the Fast as a means of conquering God's enemy and abating appetite, if at the time of breaking it one not only makes up for all one has missed during the daytime, but perhaps also indulges in a variety of extra foods? It has even become the custom to stock up for Ramadan with all kinds of foodstuffs, so that more is consumed during that time than in the course of several other months put together. It is well known that the object of Fasting is to experience hunger and to check desire, in order to reinforce the soul in piety. If the stomach is starved from early morning till evening, so that its appetite is aroused and its craving intensified, and it is then offered delicacies and allowed to eat its fill, its taste for pleasure is increased and its force exaggerated; passions are activated which would have lain dormant under normal conditions.

The spirit and secret nature of Fasting is to weaken the forces which are Satan's means of leading us back to evil. It is therefore essential to cut down one's intake to what one would consume on a normal night, when not Fasting. No benefit is derived from the Fast if one consumes as much as one would usually take during the day and night combined. Moreover, one of the properties consists in taking little sleep during the daytime, so that one feels the hunger and thirst and becomes conscious of the weakening of one's powers, with the consequent purification of the heart.

One should let a certain degree of weakness carry over into the night, making it easier to perform the night Prayers (tahajjud) and to recite the praises (awrad). It may then be that Satan will not hover around one's heart, and that one will behold the Kingdom of Heaven. The Night of Destiny represents the night on which something of this Kingdom is revealed. This is what is meant by the words of God, Exalted is He:

'We surely revealed it on the Night of Power.' [al-Qadr, 97:1]

Anyone who puts a bag of food between his heart and his breast becomes blind to this revelation. Nor is keeping the stomach empty sufficient to remove the veil, unless one also empties the mind of everything but God, Great and Glorious is He. That is the entire matter, and the starting point of it all is cutting down on food.

And the Prophet (saws) said:
"The son of Adam does not fill any vessel worse than his stomach; for the son of Adam a few mouthfuls are sufficient to keep his back straight. If you must fill it, then one-third for food, one-third for drink and one-third for air."
[at-Tirmidhi, 2380, 1939, ibn Majah, 3349]

Najiullah
09-12-2006, 01:49 AM
i put on weight in Ramadan :D after ramdan i work really hard to loss weight :grumbling:hiding:

syilla
09-12-2006, 01:59 AM
:sl:

From my experience....if i fast...and i have intention to loose weight...i will not loose weight even an ounce. But if my intention purely for Allah subhanahuwata'ala...and avoid thinking about loosing weight...i will loose some weight :rolleyes:

Selising
09-12-2006, 02:10 AM
My hubby will lose 5 kg each year. I will lose like 3kg. But normally we will expand back in Syawal.

We will break our fast with a small amount of food and a glass of drink. I don't think we are badly starving. Why must you eat so much. After Maghrib prayer we will continue with any noodles, curry, soup, laksa continue with fruits. a bowl of noodles is enough.

In the morning I will wake up 1hr 15 minutes b4 Subuh and prepare foods. It took about 1/2 hour b4 we can starts eating for sahur. This time it will be heavy rice with chicken or fish or meat. I will take cereal drink.

Why expand in Syawal? Kuala Lumpur peoples having this new tradition of celebrating Eid for the whole month of Syawal. Most of us working here. We come from all over Malaysia. During Eid, most of us will celebrate the first day at their hometown. After 3 or 5 days we will come back to Kuala Lumpur to work. Then only we have time to visit our friends, office-mates. Every body will take turn to have what we call open house. I have office-mates, my hubby has office-mates, we have neighbours, old friends, halaqah members. We will normally to open houses at night or week-end. Saturday and Sunday during Syawal will be badly jammed in KL.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.