/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I heard ?!

IbnAbdulHakim
09-11-2006, 08:17 PM
:salamext:

A dear uncle of mine told me the following story attributing to a hadith so i was just wondering....:::

format_quote Originally Posted by story from unkol
A man once heard that no-one but Allah swt provides for us and Allah alone is our provider ! So the man thought, u kno wat lemme jus go check this out inshaAllah. So he went to an isolated place and sat saying:
"Well God, im hungry and im awaiting the food you promised to provide...." The man sat waiting for 40 years without moving an inch :offended: its said that his skin/flesh etc had been bitten off by insects but he refused to move. Its even said that people came to him with food but he said :
"No thats allright Allah swt said he will provide".
Eventually a beautifully man dressed in white appeared and told the man that he has some bread and the man should eat, yet again the man refused saying "Allah will provide". The beautiful man then exposed himself to be a great angel and said this bread IS from Allah. So the man gladly ate and as soon as he ate his body was restored...

well.... where'd this come from :?

:wasalamex

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Maimunah
09-11-2006, 08:19 PM
no idea but it seems intresting to me
i wonder if its true though!!
wasalaam

- Qatada -
09-11-2006, 08:23 PM

Allaah Almighty knows best bro, but doesn't it kinda contradict the idea of tawaqul (putting ones trust) in Allaah?

Surah al-Mulk ayah 15

He is He who made the earth manageable for you so that you can walk through its paths and eat from its provision, and unto Him is the resurrection

The following is an excerpt of commentary on this ayah, from Tafsir Ibn Kathir:

Then Allah mentions His favor to His creation in subjugating the earth to them, and making it subservient to them. This is by His making it a stable abode and dwelling place. He placed in it mountains and caused water springs to gush forth from it. He fashioned pathways, and placed useful things in it and places fertile for the growth of fruit and vegetation. Travel wherever you wish throughout its regions and frequent its countrysides and all the areas of its domain in your various journeys to seek earnings and trade. And know that your efforts will not benefit you anything unless Allah makes matters easy for you.

Thus, striving by using the means (to attain something) does not negate the necessity of depending upon Allah (At-Tawakkul). This is similar to what Imam Ahmad recorded from Umar bin Al-Khattab, that he heard the Messenger of Allah say, "If you would trust in Allah as He truly should be trusted in, He would surely provide for you as He provides for the birds. They set out in the morning with empty stomachs and return in the evening with full stomachs." At-Tirmidhi, An-Nasa'i and Ibn Majah all recorded this Hadith. At-Tirmidhi said, "Hasan Sahih." So this confirms that the bird searches morning and evening for its sustenance while depending upon Allah. For He is the Subduer, the Controller and the One Who causes everything. the place of return on the Day of Judgement. Ibn Abbas, Mujahid, As-Suddi and Qatadah all said that Manakibiha (its paths) means its outermost borders, its roads and its regions

Allaah Almighty knows best.

IbnAbdulHakim
09-11-2006, 08:25 PM

^ good point, but im guessing that the above story (if true) is a happening from before the days of the Quran. ie perhaps that certain person didnt realise that the world is our provision... i mean look at buddha, the dude sat under a tree till people started makin sculptures of him. Now theres 124000 prophets right... subhanAllah.

NB: IM NOT SAYIN BUDDHA IS A PROPHET !!... neiva am i crossing out the possibility !

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Kittygyal
09-11-2006, 08:26 PM
salam.
maybe it is fake made up Allah knows.
w.salam

chacha_jalebi
09-11-2006, 08:36 PM
salaam

this sounds really similiar to a sufi saint story i heard, but in that story he stood in the ocean, all isolated & the fishes ate his legs!

many stories are related over time & people say they are hadiths and stuff, so it could be one of them stories, and Allah (swt) knows best

also by the way, sufi stories? true or bla bla bla? because most of the stories are written by the sufi saint themselfs lol :D:D:D

IbnAbdulHakim
09-11-2006, 08:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
salaam

this sounds really similiar to a sufi saint story i heard, but in that story he stood in the ocean, all isolated & the fishes ate his legs!

many stories are related over time & people say they are hadiths and stuff, so it could be one of them stories, and Allah (swt) knows best

also by the way, sufi stories? true or bla bla bla? because most of the stories are written by the sufi saint themselfs lol :D:D:D

tru if its got sourcing, for example i got a book by Abdul Qadir Jilani which has nice sourcing, always quoting abu hurayra, aisha ra etc etc but... even then i check it up :p lol

chacha_jalebi
09-11-2006, 08:49 PM
salaam

lol yeh bro, my mum always reads me sources from Abdul Qadeer Jilani and i always check them up :p but yeh he does use good sources, like gives the whole chain of narrations:D:D

but what do you think of them sufi stories? the story i said which is similiar to the one you posted, goes like dis :p

same thin, man wanted to see Allah (swt) provide so he isolated himself, and then he stood in the river and Allah (swt) asked him, why is he doing this? and what does he want? and the man said he wants to be like Hadrat Ali (ra) and Allah (swt) replied, Ali (ra) has alredy been made, but i can put his scent in you, and then he was given the scent of Allah (swt)

personaly i do doubt these sufi stories and this particular one is similiar to the orignal post, but i remember a famous story of Hadhrat Isa (as) when shaytan is tryin 2 mislead him & he says "Allah (swt) tests his slaves & its not proper for a slave to test him" mashallah, and in a way by seeing if Allah (swt) will provide isnt that testin the lord?

S_87
09-11-2006, 08:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi

:sl:

alot of them are blah blah AND whack

as for original story the Sahabah Radhiullahu anhum had firm faith Allah would provide, and we see that other people would give them food, Allah did provide in that away and they didnt need an angel to prove that. when it says the beautiful man exposed himself to be a great angel, meaning? the angel turned into its original form? if so then ..enough said. :uhwhat

IbnAbdulHakim
09-11-2006, 08:53 PM

^ Sis Abdul Qadir Jilani is called a sufi but islam-qa actually called him a righteous salafi !

Also about sufi's... i actually agree wiv u... but... most of the sufi's i kno (and one i personally kno) ALWAYS QUOTE sahih narrations... Allahu Allam!

- Qatada -
09-11-2006, 08:56 PM

Akhi, realise that Abdul Qadir Jalani was a really pious guy masha'Allaah, and he even followed the way of the salaf. But from what i've heard in lectures, the people after him went astray and may have fabricated ahadith about him.

Allaah Almighty knows best.

chacha_jalebi
09-11-2006, 08:56 PM
yeh, the majority of ulama say abdul qadir is a goody :D:D

and he followed the right way, and later people just mis interpreted him and made up stuff :p :p

Ibn Abi Ahmed
09-11-2006, 09:00 PM

Lets stay away from sectarian discusiions Inshallah.

Btw, that story goes against logic. 40 years without food. A person cant survive 40 days without food. Sitting without moving an inch, obviously this man must have slept..so he would have moved while sleeping and its very uncomfortable to sleep while sitting.

Also, Abdul Qadir Jilani was a man of the Sunnah. The shirk that is commited in his name was something he never told his followers to do.

:w:

IbnAbdulHakim
09-11-2006, 09:03 PM
^ Im guessing the word "moved" means (he didnt get up and go lol) but this could be "karamat" of Allah... lol lets close this thread now inshaAllah. It seems no-one has heard of this, therefore its very likely its just a mere story and nothing more.

PS: Sry for wasting everyones time...

Ibn Abi Ahmed
09-11-2006, 09:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mazed
^ Im guessing the word "moved" means (he didnt get up and go lol) but this could be "karamat" of Allah... lol lets close this thread now inshaAllah. It seems no-one has heard of this, therefore its very likely its just a mere story and nothing more.

PS: Sry for wasting everyones time...

Karamaat dont happen like this. Karamaat happen in other ways. And most often, Karamaat happen to those who are involved in Jihaad. This would be called a Mu'jizah (miracle) for a person to live for 40 years without eating and not die. It is possible, but I highly doubt it, especially when it is shown without any proof. And Mu'jizahs are only given to the Prophets of Allah. Karamaat to the Awliya.

Therefore, if you hear stories of Karamaat from other places..its best to take it with a grain of salt. Also, an excellent book on this subject is Ibn Taymiyyah's, The Criterion Between the Freinds of The Merciful and the Freinds of the Devil.

Al Furqan Bayn Al Awliyah Ar Rahman Wa Awliya Ash Shaitan.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...347120163AB712

:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.