/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslims Criticize Portrayal Of "Jesus" In TV Ad

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-11-2006, 10:04 PM
This is actually kinda old, but I had found it. Dunno if this is already here.

Muslims Criticize Portrayal Of "Jesus" In TV Ad

Christ shown gambling with devil in sports bar on TV Guide Channel

(WASHINGTON, D.C., 12/11/02) - A prominent national Islamic civil rights and advocacy group today criticized as "tasteless and insensitive" a television commercial promoting professional wrestling that shows "Jesus" gambling with the devil in a sports bar.

The Washington-based Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) said the ad, currently airing on the TV Guide Channel, shows a blond man dressed in white and illuminated by a shaft of light discussing the upcoming World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) "Armageddon" pay-per-view event with a devil-like figure. The "devil" says, "We've been hyping this [Armageddon] for two millennia." At the end of the commercial, he asks the "Jesus" figure, "Do you want to go double or nothing on the Saints?"

"This kind of tasteless and insensitive portrayal of Jesus, peace be upon him, is an insult to the deeply-felt beliefs of Muslim and Christian Americans. We ask that TV Guide Channel and the WWE withdraw the commercial and apologize to viewers," said CAIR Executive Director Nihad Awad. Awad added that Muslims revere Jesus as a prophet of God and called on Christian leaders to join in his defense.

Awad quoted a verse from the Qur'an, Islam's revealed text, which states: "Behold! The angels said 'O Mary! God giveth thee glad tidings of a Word from Him: his name will be Christ Jesus the son of Mary, held in honor in this world and the Hereafter and of (the company of) those nearest to God.'" (Chapter 3, Verse 45)

In another verse, the Qur'an states: "Say ye: 'We believe in God and the revelation given to us and to Abraham, Ismail, Isaac, Jacob, and the Tribes, and that given to Moses and Jesus, and that given to (all) Prophets from their Lord. We make no distinction between any of them, and it is unto Him that we surrender ourselves.'" (Chapter 2, Verse 136)

He also quoted the Prophet Muhammad who said: "Both in this world and in the Hereafter, I am the nearest of all people to Jesus, the son of Mary. The prophets are paternal brothers; their mothers are different, but their religion is one." (Sahih Al-Bukhari, Volume 4, Hadith 652)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
starfortress
09-11-2006, 11:34 PM
Its shows the weakness side of a free country system.

Joe98
09-12-2006, 12:37 AM
It shows the difference between Christains and Muslims.

Most Christians would be slightly irritated then go on with the important things in their lives.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
09-12-2006, 12:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Joe98

Most Christians would be slightly irritated then go on with the important things in their lives.
No it shows what most Christians have turned their religion into. They dont care about it. They and you want us to do the same with our religion. Know that that will never happen. Your efforts to make that happen are futile. Your fighting a lost battle there.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Keltoi
09-12-2006, 12:56 AM
Unfortunately the pro wrestling ad is just one of many examples of this kind of stuff. If Christians complain about it they are ripped to shreds by late night comedians and the left side of the political spectrum.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-12-2006, 01:09 AM
Well they are ignorant. If you know something is wrong, you should always stand up against it.

Keltoi
09-12-2006, 01:12 AM
I guess that is the phenomenon of free-speech that most of us are raised to cope with. There is a double-standard however, since there is some free-speech that is considered out of bounds, but blasphemy against God isn't one of them. It is irritating and does make me angry, but as long as my right to worship as I choose isn't trifled with, I can turn the channel and ignore it.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-12-2006, 01:16 AM
Thats true too. But that anger will always remain, without a doubt.

starfortress
09-12-2006, 02:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Joe98

That was your statement, not a christians.

Zulkiflim
09-12-2006, 05:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
Unfortunately the pro wrestling ad is just one of many examples of this kind of stuff. If Christians complain about it they are ripped to shreds by late night comedians and the left side of the political spectrum.

Salaam,

then democarcy has no respect for other common life..
As shown in the hyprocritical FREEDOM OF SPEECH

wilberhum
09-12-2006, 04:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ähmed
No it shows what most Christians have turned their religion into. They dont care about it. They and you want us to do the same with our religion. Know that that will never happen. Your efforts to make that happen are futile. Your fighting a lost battle there.
Since a TV commercial shows what most Christians have turned their religion into I wonder if some terrorism shows what most Muslims have turned their religion into.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
09-12-2006, 05:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
Since a TV commercial shows what most Christians have turned their religion into I wonder if some terrorism shows what most Muslims have turned their religion into.
Your comment reeks of ignorance. The fact that such portrayel of Jesus is widespread makes it generally true that most Chrisitans don't care about their religion as Jesus is central in their religion. That is opposite of what the terrorists do, they do it in the name of religion which is the absolute opposite. Their actions have been condemened all over the world. Where are the Christians that are condemning this? It is an everyday thing. Jesus is the punchline of many jokes that Chrisitians make. I see it everyday.

Please take your childish posts elsewhere.

Keltoi
09-12-2006, 05:11 PM
The fact that some advertisment is made which is insulting to Christians in no way reflects on how Christians feel about their own religion. That logic is twisted and too simplistic to say the least. We live in a secular society, not a theocracy. I'm not sure what you expect Christians to do about a WWE wrestling advertisment. Did people complain about it?, I'm sure they did. A boycott of WWE could be considered, and on and on. The fact that Christians don't cause riots and burn buildings and stampede people is not evidence that they don't care about their religion.

soulsociety
09-12-2006, 05:13 PM
:sl:

If Muslims had the same experience with Islam as Christians had with Christianity, then yes we would be making similar jokes. The west had a very bad time under Christian rule, so in that context yes religion is bad.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-12-2006, 06:03 PM
No religion is bad, no religion preaches violence. To say religion is bad is just sad. Just like if someone thats part of a group is bad, doesnt make everyone else bad. Its the person who fails to understand the message of the religion and misinterpreting it for their own sake.

Fishman
09-12-2006, 06:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tayyaba
No religion is bad, no religion preaches violence.
:sl:
What about satanism? That tells people to destroy others. I know this because I've read quotes from the 'Satanic Bible'.
:w:

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-12-2006, 06:24 PM
I meant to disclude that. I dont consider it a religion....
Religion is supposed to set guildlines for u on how to live ur daily life not rules to destroy people....

wilberhum
09-12-2006, 06:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tayyaba
No religion is bad, no religion preaches violence. To say religion is bad is just sad. Just like if someone thats part of a group is bad, doesnt make everyone else bad. Its the person who fails to understand the message of the religion and misinterpreting it for their own sake.
Well said. The concept that a small number represents the group is bigotry.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.