/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslim going into Sikh Temple

hero_honda
09-12-2006, 11:00 AM
Asalaam Wa'alaikum

I am a Muslim Revert who has a Sikh family, I have been asked to attend a cousins wedding which is in a Sikh Temple. Am i allowed to enter to the room where the ceremony takes place and listen to the words (idol worship)?

I have had the advice of do not listen to any form of Idol worship but this is my Family (parents) and they will be extremely upset if I did not attend.

I realise I must Respect my parents but also that if they insist i do something which i know Allah swt will not happy with then i must refrain from doing it.

My current thought is to go to the wedding and enter the Temple but just keep reciting Alhumdo to keep my mind away from the words of the ceremony.

Inshallah i will make the right decision.

Any advice or input would be welcomed.

Jazakallah, salaam
Toseef

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
AvarAllahNoor
09-12-2006, 01:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by hero_honda
Asalaam Wa'alaikum

I am a Muslim Revert who has a Sikh family, I have been asked to attend a cousins wedding which is in a Sikh Temple. Am i allowed to enter to the room where the ceremony takes place and listen to the words (idol worship)?

I have had the advice of do not listen to any form of Idol worship but this is my Family (parents) and they will be extremely upset if I did not attend.

I realise I must Respect my parents but also that if they insist i do something which i know Allah swt will not happy with then i must refrain from doing it.

My current thought is to go to the wedding and enter the Temple but just keep reciting Alhumdo to keep my mind away from the words of the ceremony.

Inshallah i will make the right decision.

Any advice or input would be welcomed.

Jazakallah, salaam
Toseef
Were you a Sikh before? If so you'll know there is no idol worship of any sort so get your facts right!

And the verses from the Guru Granth Sahib ji are the words of Allah, so do not make derogatory comments!

hero_honda
09-12-2006, 01:57 PM
Salaam,

I was never a Sikh but when I was child I did go to the Temple when my family had weddings and birthdays etc.

I am not going to debate Sikhism, i have my own views and you have yours, leave it at that.

Peace

Salmaan
09-12-2006, 02:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor

And the verses from the Guru Granth Sahib ji are the words of Allah, so do not make derogatory comments!
Absolutely false what you mentioned above !!

The true word of Allah is THE HOLY QUR'AN !!!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Salmaan
09-12-2006, 02:12 PM
Allah states in the Holy Qur'an:

"... whoever rejects evil and believes in Allah hath grasped the most trustworthy Hand-hold, that never breaks..." (Qur'an 2:256).

Allah states:

"The Religion in the sight of Allah is Islam." (Qur'an 3:19)

In another verse of the Holy Qur'an, Allah states:

"If anyone desires a religion other than Islam (Submission to Allah), Never will it be accepted of him; and in the Hereafter he will be in the ranks of those who have lost (their selves in the hell fire)."(Qur'an 3:85)

In addition, Islam is the only religion prevailing over all other religions. Allah states in the Holy Qur'an:

"To thee We sent the Scripture in truth, confirming the scripture that came before it, and guarding it in safety:..." (Qur'an 5:48)

QuranStudy
09-12-2006, 03:43 PM
You obviously don't believe in God!
I expected a better comback.

Anyways, I dont think a Muslim entering a Sikh temple is a good idea. Try to explain it maturely to your family.

Kittygyal
09-12-2006, 03:46 PM
salam.
well my opinion is it's okay like myself is a revert to Islam as i was a christain i still go to Church for matters, but on one ocassion i go cause me aunt has passed away && mam whom is a christain so i go there blow on the candles with me brothers i have to go so am sure it's okay unless you don't pray to any other idols or anything && believe in one God ALLAH inshallah :)
w.salam

AvarAllahNoor
09-12-2006, 03:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
salam.
well my opinion is it's okay like myself is a revert to Islam as i was a christain i still go to Church for matters, but on one ocassion i go cause me aunt has passed away && mam whom is a christain so i go there blow on the candles with me brothers i have to go so am sure it's okay unless you don't pray to stautes or anything && believe in one God ALLAH inshallah :)
w.salam
There are no statues and Sikhism is a monesthetic religion.

Kittygyal
09-12-2006, 03:49 PM
salam.
sowiee i was supoosed to mean any other idols sowiee i am getting mixed up with Hindusim please forgive me inshallah.
w,.salam

QuranStudy
09-12-2006, 03:50 PM
We shouldnt associate Hindusim with Sikhism. Sikhism believes in a monotheistic God.

AvarAllahNoor
09-12-2006, 03:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
salam.
do you mean God or Allah the only one whom is Almight for muslims?
w.salam
LOL Allah is God! :)

Kittygyal
09-12-2006, 03:53 PM
salam.,
yeah okay well me was wondering what if you ment God as in what Christains believe Allah Hu Alim, never mind Bro :)
w.salam

hero_honda
09-12-2006, 03:54 PM
Salaam,

I have tried to so but they are kicking up a fuss about it, disrespect the family and all that.They are not making it easy for me. My brother will b getting married soon and if try to miss this one then it's not going to go well in the famiy at all.

Does anyone know if our Prophet (pbuh) ever attended a non muslim wedding?

Peace

Kittygyal
09-12-2006, 04:01 PM
Salaam,

I have tried to so but they are kicking up a fuss about it, disrespect the family and all that.They are not making it easy for me. My brother will b getting married soon and if try to miss this one then it's not going to go well in the famiy at all.

Does anyone know if our Prophet (pbuh) ever attended a non muslim wedding?

Peace
salam.
brother i understand but just go to the wedding i mean but go with the intention for the Sake of your brother i mean come on you don't wana let them down so inshallah pray to Allah && do more Dawah && also remember you are a "muslim" so you want to show a good impression, so when you go to the wedding go greet him because as he is from your blood, you must go && greet him etc etc but remember Allah is watching you so have the good intention that you are going because of your brother. Brother it is hard for me because ALL of me family is a christain so i know what you mean but pray to Allah that he leads everyone to the right path inshallah && also you can tell your brother that i want to be a good muslim so i am going to tend your wedding but not do anything that is against Islam [i know it will be hard but inshallah the best thing to do is ask for Allah to help you beg him inshallah, i have been doing that for the past 6years so you do that aswel inshallah]
i hope everything goes well for you inshallah :)
w.salam

hero_honda
09-12-2006, 04:02 PM
I have managed to source this:

http://www.islamonline.com/cgi-bin/n...service_id=337

This refers to Jewish and Christian weddings.

Kittygyal
09-12-2006, 04:03 PM
I have managed to source this:

http://www.islamonline.com/cgi-bin/n...service_id=337

This refers to Jewish and Christian weddings.

salam,
mashallah thats great brother just read as much as you can && ask for forgivness from Allah.
w.salam

hero_honda
09-12-2006, 04:14 PM
This has cleared things up for me, Alhumdolilah.

Inshallah we can all find the answers to our questions, Allah swt knows best.

Jazakallah, Peace

AHMED_GUREY
09-12-2006, 04:31 PM
there were muslim leaders that attended john paul the II's funeral

wich was in the Vatican

Salmaan
09-12-2006, 04:49 PM
You obviously don't believe in God!
You did not read my posts, did you ? I need to post again so that you can read. Read this -

Allah states:

"The Religion in the sight of Allah is Islam." (Qur'an 3:19)

In another verse of the Holy Qur'an, Allah states:

"If anyone desires a religion other than Islam (Submission to Allah), Never will it be accepted of him; and in the Hereafter he will be in the ranks of those who have lost (their selves in the hell fire)."(Qur'an 3:85)

In addition, Islam is the only religion prevailing over all other religions. Allah states in the Holy Qur'an:

"To thee We sent the Scripture in truth, confirming the scripture that came before it, and guarding it in safety:..." (Qur'an 5:48)

Muezzin
09-12-2006, 07:00 PM
I'd just like to clarify that members have every right to clear up misconceptions about their own religion - however, the rules of this forum do not allow the promotion of any other religion than Islam.

I hope this will facilitate a peaceful dialogue.

InToTheRain
09-12-2006, 07:17 PM
:sl:

Personally I would go to keep family ties and to avoid fitnah Insha allah. So long as you don't have to participate in some form of idle worship I don't see the problem.

:w:

Kittygyal
09-12-2006, 08:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by WnbSlveOfAllah

Personally I would go to keep family ties and to avoid fitnah Insha allah. So long as you don't have to participate in some form of idle worship I don't see the problem.

salam.
so true i agree 100% with that, but then again when you do go at weddings there are alot of mixed Gender :uhwhat
w.salam

north_malaysian
09-13-2006, 05:50 AM
'Allah' means 'the God'.

sameer
09-13-2006, 07:16 PM
this is really tough..maybe u should just go for a little while and stay in the background and let them see u there and slip out after

Snowflake
09-13-2006, 07:33 PM
Salam

I hope this helps inshaAllah, even though the question is regarding a church wedding.

Q. Is it permissible for me and my husband to go to the wedding of my cousin who is Christian? She will get married in a church.

Answer

Wa `Alaykum As-Salam Wa Rahmatullah Wa Barakatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All thanks and praise are due to Allah and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear questioner, we would like to express our overwhelming thanks for the great confidence you have in us and we pray to Almighty Allah to help our efforts come up to your expectation.

As regards your question, Sheikh Ibrahim Salih Al-Husaini, Mufti of Nigeria, issues the following fatwa:

"Allah, the Almighty says in the Qur’an: “Allah forbiddeth you not those who warred not against you on account of religion and drove you not out from your homes, that ye should show them kindness and deal justly with them. Lo ! Allah loveth the just dealers.” (Al-Mumtahnah: 8)

This verse, and many others in the Qur’an, lay down the main basics in dealing with non-Muslims. Tolerance and respect are among the main principles that govern the relation of Muslims with the People of the Book (Jews and Christians). It goes without saying that the People of the Book are permitted to attend Muslims’ weddings that are held in mosques in case there is a relation of kinship between them and the Muslim bride or groom, such as the case when the bride or the groom has a non-Muslim father or relative.

During the time of the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, the Christians of Najran came to the Prophet as envoys, the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him welcomed them in his mosque and they stayed there for a while.

Based on this, we can say that a Muslim is allowed to attend the wedding of his/her non-Muslim relative, held in a church so long as this attendance does not involve participating in any Haram (prohibited) action. This means that a Muslim is not allowed to repeat the hymns said by the priest or other non-Muslims, for that goes against the main precepts of Islam. It is to be stressed also that a Muslim woman is to abide by the code of dress established for a Muslim woman. She is to cover all her body except her face and hands. Moreover, a Muslim should not eat or drink anything Haram and should avoid any mixed gatherings that place his sense of religious commitment at stake.”

Almighty Allah knows best.

Zone Maker
09-13-2006, 08:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
Salam

I hope this helps inshaAllah, even though the question is regarding a church wedding.

Q. Is it permissible for me and my husband to go to the wedding of my cousin who is Christian? She will get married in a church.

Answer

Wa `Alaykum As-Salam Wa Rahmatullah Wa Barakatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All thanks and praise are due to Allah and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear questioner, we would like to express our overwhelming thanks for the great confidence you have in us and we pray to Almighty Allah to help our efforts come up to your expectation.

As regards your question, Sheikh Ibrahim Salih Al-Husaini, Mufti of Nigeria, issues the following fatwa:

"Allah, the Almighty says in the Qur’an: “Allah forbiddeth you not those who warred not against you on account of religion and drove you not out from your homes, that ye should show them kindness and deal justly with them. Lo ! Allah loveth the just dealers.” (Al-Mumtahnah: 8)

This verse, and many others in the Qur’an, lay down the main basics in dealing with non-Muslims. Tolerance and respect are among the main principles that govern the relation of Muslims with the People of the Book (Jews and Christians). It goes without saying that the People of the Book are permitted to attend Muslims’ weddings that are held in mosques in case there is a relation of kinship between them and the Muslim bride or groom, such as the case when the bride or the groom has a non-Muslim father or relative.

During the time of the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, the Christians of Najran came to the Prophet as envoys, the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him welcomed them in his mosque and they stayed there for a while.

Based on this, we can say that a Muslim is allowed to attend the wedding of his/her non-Muslim relative, held in a church so long as this attendance does not involve participating in any Haram (prohibited) action. This means that a Muslim is not allowed to repeat the hymns said by the priest or other non-Muslims, for that goes against the main precepts of Islam. It is to be stressed also that a Muslim woman is to abide by the code of dress established for a Muslim woman. She is to cover all her body except her face and hands. Moreover, a Muslim should not eat or drink anything Haram and should avoid any mixed gatherings that place his sense of religious commitment at stake.”

Almighty Allah knows best.
What about other religions (other than people of the book).

Snowflake
09-13-2006, 08:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Skakeen
What about other religions (other than people of the book).
The fatwa I posted above relates to church weddings. However in my opinion we should avoid unislamic gatherings where intermingling of opposite sexes, dance/music etc.. is the norm.

It'd be better if one explains their reasons for not being able to attend and visits the family at home after the wedding is over. After all we shouldn't compromise our deen to make others happy while displeasing Allah. But that's just my opinion. It's best to ask a scholar.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.