/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Medication whilst fasting?

doodlebug
09-12-2006, 02:12 PM
I just was on another board and read that if one has to take medication throughout the day, i.e. a pill that one has to swallow, then one does not have to fast but instead one can give to the poor.

Is that true?:?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ZOREENA
09-12-2006, 02:15 PM
I remember when I went to Sunday school at the mosque, they said that I coodnt even take an inhaler!!!! hmmmmmmm!

doodlebug
09-12-2006, 02:16 PM
Well I don't use an inhaler but I do have to take medication for my Lupus during the day 'cause otherwise I wouldn't be able to function due to the pain.

Periwinkle18
09-12-2006, 03:11 PM
i think its ok but i'll ask my teacher hes an Alam then i'l tell u ok

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
rubiesand
09-12-2006, 03:17 PM
Fatwa from Islamonline to answer your question. I've posted the most relevant parts of the fatwa below, but to see the whole thing, click on the link.

As-Salamu `alaykum! What is the legal ruling concerning a patient not fasting in Ramadan?

In his response to your question, the eminent Muslim scholar, Sheikh Yusuf Al-Qaradawi, states:

Scholars have unanimously agreed that a patient is allowed not to fast, as Allah, Exalted be He, says: (Whosoever of you is sick or on a journey, (let him fast the same) number of other days. Allah desireth for you ease; He desireth not hardship for you.) (Al-Baqarah 2: 185)

Based on both the Glorious Qur'an and the unanimity of Muslim scholars, a patient is allowed not to fast in Ramadan. But, the question now is ‘which kind of illness permits a Muslim to abstain from fasting’.

The answer to this question is that any malady that fasting may aggravate or delay the cure of, permits a Muslim to break the fast. Similarly, when fasting causes the patient to go through tremendous pain so that he would be unable to perform his job and earn his living, he is allowed not to fast. Imam Ahamd was asked: When is a patient allowed not to fast? He answered: If he is not able to fast. He was again asked: Is a man afflicted with fever unable to? He replied: What malady could be more serious than fever?

As a matter of fact, types of illness differ in nature; some are not affected by fasting, such as a toothache, a finger wound, a small abscess and the like. Fasting could cure many diseases like stomach diseases such as indigestion, diarrhea, etc. These are diseases that do not permit one to refrain from fasting, as it is in the patient's best interest in such cases to fast.

A Muslim is allowed to abstain from fasting when fasting is feared to bring about harm. Should a healthy person fear to fall ill because of fasting, he is permitted not to fast. This could be determined through two ways: either via personal experience or on account of the advice of a reliable Muslim physician whose knowledge and honesty is trusted. So should a trustworthy Muslim physician warn him that fasting would harm him, a patient is allowed not to fast. Besides, if a Muslim is permitted to abstain from fasting but he still insists on fasting, he has committed a blameworthy act since he has harmed himself and refused to accept Allah's dispensation (rukhsah). So even if a Muslim fasts and abides by rules of fasting, he has thus committed an unlawful act, should he end up harming himself.

Furthermore, is a patient allowed to pay charity in return for the fast-days he missed on account of his malady? An illness is of two kinds:

1. A temporary illness, of which a patient expects to be cured. In this case, a Muslim is not to pay a charity or a ransom but must make up for the fast-day he missed, as Allah, Exalted be He, says: ((Let him fast the same) number of other days.) So, if he were unable to fast for a month, he is to fast for a month later. If he were unable to fast for a certain number of days, he is to make up for the exact number of fast-days he missed later when Allah grants him health.

2. The second type of illness is the chronic illness, of which a patient does not expect to be cured. This can be determined either by personal experience or through the physician's advice. Thus the Islamic legal ruling of an elderly man or woman similarly applies to a patient suffering from a chronic disease. A patient in that case has to pay a ransom: to feed a poor person. According to some jurists, such as Abu Hanifah, he may pay the worth of a meal to the poor, the weak or the needy.

doodlebug
09-12-2006, 03:49 PM
thank you. Do you think I'd have to pay the "ransom" (what a name for it!) each day or just one will do the trick?

UmmSqueakster
09-12-2006, 03:54 PM
:sl:

I believe you must pay for each day you do not fast. You could donate to a local food shelf, or to a reputable charity. Islamic Relief has avoided legal troubles and has a "feed the needy" fund.

rubiesand
09-12-2006, 04:01 PM
:w: I agree with you sister Janaan. It's odd that the fatwa doesn't actually say that explicitly, but afaik for each fast day missed charity should be paid. The amount is calculated locally, because it is the cost of providing one meal, which will differ from country to country depending on the economy.

syilla
09-13-2006, 05:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by doodlebug
thank you. Do you think I'd have to pay the "ransom" (what a name for it!) each day or just one will do the trick?
you can ask the masjid near your communitee...

then you can donate yourself or through the masjid.

The most important thing is the niyah (intention - you have to recite it...just a simple one, you can do it in english too)

ZOREENA
09-13-2006, 11:46 AM
Can u not fast because u need to eat, or is it for ur tabletz? Coz perhaps before the fast starts u cood take ur pill? My mumz the same she has Fibro Neralgi or summat like that and a heap of other things, and she takez her tabz berfore the fast starts but.......if she feelz unable to fast, then she dont do it!!!! Intention is the key!!

doodlebug
09-13-2006, 12:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ZOREENA
Can u not fast because u need to eat, or is it for ur tabletz? Coz perhaps before the fast starts u cood take ur pill? My mumz the same she has Fibro Neralgi or summat like that and a heap of other things, and she takez her tabz berfore the fast starts but.......if she feelz unable to fast, then she dont do it!!!! Intention is the key!!
Yeah I think what I'll do is take it day by day. Somedays are better than others. Usually I take my pain meds in the morning but sometimes I have to take more throughout the day. Sometimes I dont' though. It all depends on if there's a flare up or not, which I can never predict. I think I'll just go day by day and then at some point throughout the year if I did miss some days I'll make them up. We have to make some up anyway as women, so this will just be extras I'll have to make up.

ZOREENA
09-13-2006, 12:53 PM
oooooooooo I just noticed, your getting married??? WOOHOOOOO! Can I ask why itz a bitta time away? Coz when I was meant to get married, it was all rush rush, I think itz better to have it a bit away!! Yeah with regardz to taking it each day as it comez, I think thatz the best option, My mummy can have really bad dayz and she has to do it like that, her blood pressure and that, so u have to be careful and don't neglect yourself, my mummy triez to be a martyr and it really crackz me up, coz shez like some people in the world dont have the option of eatting and all that polava...just be careful mrs!!!

doodlebug
09-13-2006, 08:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ZOREENA
oooooooooo I just noticed, your getting married??? WOOHOOOOO! Can I ask why itz a bitta time away? Coz when I was meant to get married, it was all rush rush, I think itz better to have it a bit away!! Yeah with regardz to taking it each day as it comez, I think thatz the best option, My mummy can have really bad dayz and she has to do it like that, her blood pressure and that, so u have to be careful and don't neglect yourself, my mummy triez to be a martyr and it really crackz me up, coz shez like some people in the world dont have the option of eatting and all that polava...just be careful mrs!!!
Regarding the marriage, if it were up to the two of us it would be yesterday!!! Unfortunately the reality is that I work full time and can't get time off until then. We are getting married in Cairo too so it's not like I can just hop next door and get it done. :D

Muhammad
09-13-2006, 09:15 PM
:sl:

If you want further info.. you can have a look at this link:

http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ref=50555&ln=eng

I think it basically confirms what has been said, that if you can avoid taking the medicine during the time of fasting, that would be better; missed fasts should be made up at the end; and if the medicine is ongoing such that the fasts cannot be made up afterwards, then you should feed a poor person each day.

ZOREENA
09-14-2006, 12:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by doodlebug
Regarding the marriage, if it were up to the two of us it would be yesterday!!! Unfortunately the reality is that I work full time and can't get time off until then. We are getting married in Cairo too so it's not like I can just hop next door and get it done. :D

Akkk sis, It will be fab, your sooo lucky to have found somone and to have the opportunity of marriage, Inshallah, you painz will eaze and you and ur future hubby have an amazing life together!! Allhamdulillah!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.