/* */

PDA

View Full Version : revert & Convert?

limitless
09-12-2006, 05:01 PM
:sl:

What is the difference between a revert and a convert? What is revert and convert?

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Kittygyal
09-12-2006, 05:03 PM
salam.
revert && convert is same brother you can say both they mean changed to an different religion like moi ;) && fishman ;)
w.salam

Mawaddah
09-12-2006, 05:07 PM
I always thought that "Revert" is the term used for someone who was Muslim before, and then left Islam and returned back to Islam.

And "Convert" is for someone who was never Muslim and then accepted Islam.

am I right or not?

Ibn Abi Ahmed
09-12-2006, 05:09 PM

In the past the brothers/sisters that reverted used to be called "Tawwabeen" (if im not mistaken). It means the "One who has repented". As it was said, 'so and so has repented from Christianity'; 'So and so has repented from Judaism'. Etc.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Kittygyal
09-12-2006, 05:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mawaddah
I always thought that "Revert" is the term used for someone who was Muslim before, and then left Islam and returned back to Islam.

And "Convert" is for someone who was never Muslim and then accepted Islam.

am I right or not?
salam.
no not really they both mean what ever religion your from you have reverted/converted the same :rollseyes
w.salam

UmmSqueakster
09-12-2006, 05:12 PM

Many people use the two terms interchangably.

Anyone who embraces Islam after not practicing can be considered a revert, if we take into account that hadith that says that everyone is born in fitrah, and it is your parents that make you christian, jewish, muslim. Our nature at birth is to be muslim, so anyone who embraces Islam reverts back to their original nature.

I use both, without much rhyme or reason. I often will use convert with non muslims that I don't want to argue with. If you say that you have reverted to Islam, it will lead people to wonder why you say revert. Good dawah opportunity, but sometimes conflict is best avoided, if you know they're just going to use it as an opportunity to be mean.

Salmaan
09-12-2006, 05:12 PM
The best thing is to look into the dictionary !! :D

Muhammad
09-12-2006, 05:18 PM

Put simply, to convert to something is to change into that thing. To revert is to come back to it. Since we believe in the concept of the fitrah, we use the term 'revert' as opposed to 'convert' when it comes to Islam.

Also see:

http://www.islamicboard.com/comparat...at-revert.html

Salmaan
09-12-2006, 05:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
salam.
well why don't you just be more considerate && help out :)
w.salam
I need to search where is the dictionary :rollseyes I don't know where I have kept it, I also don't know whether I do have a dictionary or not :okay:
anyways...
insha'Allah I will post if I find the dictionary :)

Mawaddah
09-12-2006, 05:24 PM
They usually have a dictionary on the toolbar above the screen right? that picture with the books and the magnifying glass on it, I use it all the time :D

Kittygyal
format_quote Originally Posted by Salmaan
I need to search where is the dictionary :rollseyes I don't know where I have kept it, I also don't know whether I do have a dictionary or not :okay:
anyways...
insha'Allah I will post if I find the dictionary :)

salam.
okay brother, www.dictionary.com
w.salam

amirah_87
format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad

Put simply, to convert to something is to change into that thing. To revert is to come back to it. Since we believe in the concept of the fitrah, we use the term 'revert' as opposed to 'convert' when it comes to Islam.

Also see:

http://www.islamicboard.com/comparat...at-revert.html
As salaamu alaykum,

Yeah, This is the one that sounds more correct!!

And Allah Knows Best!!

Salmaan
09-12-2006, 05:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
salam.
okay brother, www.dictionary.com
w.salam
masha'Allah I found it :D

Revert

–verb (used without object)
1. to return to a former habit, practice, belief, condition, etc.: They reverted to the ways of their forefathers.
2. Law. to go back to or return to the former owner or to his or her heirs.
3. Biology. to return to an earlier or primitive type.
4. to go back in thought or discussion: He constantly reverted to his childhood.
–noun
5. a person or thing that reverts.
6. Law. a reversion.

Convert

–verb (used with object)
1. to change (something) into a different form or properties; transmute; transform.
2. to cause to adopt a different religion, political doctrine, opinion, etc.: to convert the heathen.
3. to turn to another or a particular use or purpose; divert from the original or intended use: They converted the study into a nursery for the baby.
4. to modify (something) so as to serve a different function: to convert an automobile factory to the manufacture of tanks.
5. to obtain an equivalent value for in an exchange or calculation, as money or units of measurement: to convert bank notes into gold; to convert yards into meters.
6. Finance. to exchange voluntarily (a bond or preferred stock) into another security, usually common stock, because of the greater value of the latter.
7. to change in character; cause to turn from an evil life to a righteous one: to convert a criminal.
8. Chemistry. to cause (a substance) to undergo a chemical change: to convert sugar into alcohol.
9. to invert or transpose.
10. Law.
a. to assume unlawful rights of ownership of (personal property).
b. to change the form of (property), as from realty to personalty or vice versa.
11. to appropriate wrongfully to one's own use.
12. Logic. to transpose the subject and predicate of (a proposition) by conversion.
13. Computers. to subject to conversion.
–verb (used without object)
14. to become converted.
15. Football. to make a conversion.
–noun
16. one who has been converted, as to a religion or opinion.

limitless
09-13-2006, 01:19 AM
lol, everyone has cleared what I thought of them. I thought revert meant that the perseon came back to the religion or like the sister said, started to practise it properly and convert meant changing. I was just getting confused because on this site everyone frequently used the term, "revert" rather than convert; which it confused me greatly, but now it is all cleared.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.