PDA

View Full Version : Al-Qaida cell targeted Oslo synagogue (Jewish Masjid)



therebbe
09-12-2006, 09:09 PM
An al-Qaida-linked Algerian terror cell that was broken up by Italian police last fall was planning to carry out attacks on targets in Oslo, Norway, including the city's main synagogue.

Anne Sender, president of Norway's Jewish community, told The Jerusalem Post during a telephone interview from Oslo that local authorities had informed her shortly after the suspects were arrested in November that there existed a credible terrorist threat against the synagogue.

The plot came to light only this week in the wake of a report on Monday in the Norwegian Verdens Gang (VG) newspaper.

"At the time, we were informed by the government that some people had been caught in Italy and that police had found plans indicating that they were targeting the synagogue in Oslo," Sender said.

She added that the threat was considered sufficiently serious that, in its wake, Norwegian police decided to adopt additional, unspecified measures to boost security at the synagogue.

The terrorists, who resided in Italy but were allegedly plotting attacks against sites in Oslo, belonged to an Algerian-based group known as the GSPC, a French acronym which stands for the Salafist Group for Call and Combat.

The GSPC, which has links to al-Qaida, is a splinter faction that broke away from Algeria's Armed Islamic Group in 1996.

Sender praised Norwegian police, but nonetheless expressed concern over the community's security with the approach of the High Holidays.

"To be honest, I do think people are a bit nervous now," she said. "We have good contact and cooperation with the police, but we need to be prepared and to put more security measures in place."

In the past few months, Oslo has been the scene of a number of anti-Semitic and anti-Zionist incidents, including an attack on the synagogue last month, where an unknown perpetrator smashed glass windows and scrawled graffiti on the site after defecating near the entrance.

"99 percent of the time it is fine, it is safe, and there is no problem at all, but we do have these incidents," added Sender. "Maybe we are a little na ve, but we always seem to think that Norway is separate, that it is different and that it is unaffected by what goes on in the rest of the world."

link
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
wilberhum
09-12-2006, 10:16 PM
http://www.cdi.org/terrorism/gspc-pr.cfm

The Salafist Group for Call and Combat (GSPC) has emerged in recent years as a major source of recruiting and other support for al Qaeda operations in Europe. A splinter faction of the Algerian-based Armed Islamic Group (GIA), the GSPC is engaged simultaneously in efforts to topple Algeria's secular government and to organize high-profile attacks against Western interests on the continent.
Reply

QuranStudy
09-12-2006, 10:21 PM
Al-Quaeda is making us Muslims look bad. Why are they so extreme??
Reply

wilberhum
09-12-2006, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by QuranStudy
Al-Quaeda is making us Muslims look bad. Why are they so extreme??
I think the answer is simple. Hate. Hate to the extream.
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
ManchesterFolk
09-13-2006, 12:26 AM
Terrible. Sick hatred.
Reply

north_malaysian
09-13-2006, 05:42 AM
I think the term "Jewish Masjid" is derogatory for jews because "Masjid" means "a place for prostration" (and Jews dont prostrate in their prayers), in Arabic language, "synagogue" is known as "mab'ad" ("a place of worship" or "temple")
Reply

ManchesterFolk
09-13-2006, 06:29 PM
I think the Rebbe just meant to say that it was a place Jews pray. Many members might not know what a "Synagogue" or "Shul" is.
Reply

therebbe
09-13-2006, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by ManchesterFolk
I think the Rebbe just meant to say that it was a place Jews pray. Many members might not know what a "Synagogue" or "Shul" is.
Correct. I though "Masjid" just meant house of prayer or something. lol.
Reply

Dahir
09-14-2006, 12:27 AM
I can't comment. Shame on the psychotic fringe group Al-Qaeda and whomever is supporting them, be it Muslims or the West.
Reply

Islamicboy
09-14-2006, 12:34 AM
Originally Posted by QuranStudy
Al-Quaeda is making us Muslims look bad. Why are they so extreme??
There is always going to be good and bad people every where. American troops are some good who actually try not to kill civilians and then there are some who intentionally kill civilians. If it wasnt for al qaeda who would be defending iraq, afaganistan? Then america and all the kaffirs would walk all over us thinking there is no one to help us we are helpless.
Reply

Littleozzybloke
09-14-2006, 12:53 AM
with respect here...
question...
if al qaida is such an enemy...why doesn't the law abiding muslims in the world do something about it? naming names and places.
Some one out there knows who and what and where...

Why are the types of bin laden still free to control terrorism?
He's one man in the desert that controls the world using a bunch of mad killers that have no morals nor respect for their fellow man/woman/child.
All in the name of Allah....

Thats bullcrap..their nothing but cowards & murderers.
Otherwise they would have the guts to show their faces, not hide behind masks..
If they think they are proud soldiers fighting for a cause...why hide...why sneak about and blow innocent people up and run away to do it again another day...to me, that's a cowards way of fighting, and there is no honour in that.
nothing but disgust & condemnation...
Reply

therebbe
09-14-2006, 12:55 AM
it wasnt for al qaeda who would be defending iraq, afaganistan?
If it wasn't for Al-Queda the Taliban would still be in power, because no way the United States would exert such power politics on a nation that had no interest to the American Foreign Policy. The only reason troops are in Afgahnistan is because of Al-Queda.
Reply

Islamicboy
09-14-2006, 02:25 AM
Originally Posted by therebbe
If it wasn't for Al-Queda the Taliban would still be in power, because no way the United States would exert such power politics on a nation that had no interest to the American Foreign Policy. The only reason troops are in Afgahnistan is because of Al-Queda.
George Bush had planned to go on crusade war agiasnt iraq and Taliban before 911 even happened. If america is in afganistan so what they were getting a heavy blow thats why they told canada to go in. Now canada is getting there soldiers killed every day. So Taliban is doing pretty good defending themselves because the ultimate power is with them Allah S.W.T
Reply

lavikor201
09-14-2006, 03:12 AM
Originally Posted by Islamicboy
George Bush had planned to go on crusade war agiasnt iraq and Taliban before 911 even happened. If america is in afganistan so what they were getting a heavy blow thats why they told canada to go in. Now canada is getting there soldiers killed every day. So Taliban is doing pretty good defending themselves because the ultimate power is with them Allah S.W.T
I would agree maybe with Iraq, but I completly disagree with taking out the Taliban. Afgahnistan is of no use to the USA therefore, the only reason Bush would sen young boys to dies against the Taliban was because of 9/11. There might have been an Iraq war, but definitly no Afghanistan war if it wasn't for Osama.
Reply

north_malaysian
09-14-2006, 08:11 AM
Originally Posted by therebbe
Correct. I though "Masjid" just meant house of prayer or something. lol.
Masjid - "a place/building of prostration"

Mab'ad - "a place of prayer"
Reply

wilberhum
09-14-2006, 04:56 PM
If it wasnt for al qaeda who would be defending iraq, afaganistan?
So you look at Al-Qaeda as defenders?
Reply

wilberhum
09-14-2006, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by lavikor201
I would agree maybe with Iraq, but I completly disagree with taking out the Taliban. Afgahnistan is of no use to the USA therefore, the only reason Bush would sen young boys to dies against the Taliban was because of 9/11. There might have been an Iraq war, but definitly no Afghanistan war if it wasn't for Osama.
I could not agree more. OBL and the support for him is the only reason the US went to Afganistan. As far as Iraq, I think Bush had his sights on them even before he got to the White House.
Reply

Kidman
09-14-2006, 05:53 PM
AlQaeda are the small minority who make Muslims as a whole look horrible. I condemn their actions and wish for them to be exterminated.

Kidman
Reply

ManchesterFolk
09-16-2006, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by Kidman
AlQaeda are the small minority who make Muslims as a whole look horrible. I condemn their actions and wish for them to be exterminated.

Kidman
Amazing post! Your the man! If all Muslims condemned Al-Queda like this, I would be so happy! :happy:
Reply

Hijrah
09-16-2006, 03:23 PM
I think it's a lot of young people tht are getting invlved with this takfeeree group.
Reply

Littleozzybloke
09-17-2006, 03:48 AM
Originally Posted by Kidman
AlQaeda are the small minority who make Muslims as a whole look horrible. I condemn their actions and wish for them to be exterminated.

Kidman
WELL SAID! they are nothing but murderer's of innocent people and children that hide behind masks..cowards..and those that cut heads off are nothing but a lower form of animal..how gross and barbaric in this day and age...all that belongs back in the stone age..:rant:
Reply

therebbe
09-17-2006, 09:46 PM
OBL and the support for him is the only reason the US went to Afganistan.
Didn't the USA also give the Taliban an amount of time to hand him over. If they did, they would still be in power.
Reply

Kidman
09-18-2006, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by Littleozzybloke
WELL SAID! they are nothing but murderer's of innocent people and children that hide behind masks..cowards..and those that cut heads off are nothing but a lower form of animal..how gross and barbaric in this day and age...all that belongs back in the stone age..:rant:
Seriously, they are worse than animals because they have a brain but do not use it. They kill people without knowing who this person is, or what they believe, and without even talking or dialoging with these people. If they believe they are right, then show it by example, not by killing a group and scaring people into your religion or belief.

Kidman
Reply

north_malaysian
09-19-2006, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by Kidman
Seriously, they are worse than animals because they have a brain but do not use it. They kill people without knowing who this person is, or what they believe, and without even talking or dialoging with these people. If they believe they are right, then show it by example, not by killing a group and scaring people into your religion or belief.

Kidman
Good point ... I think Al Qaeda members are CIA undercovers people.
Reply

therebbe
09-20-2006, 02:18 AM
Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Good point ... I think Al Qaeda members are CIA undercovers people.

Right, the CIA would crash planes into buildings killing USA civilians and spew hatred towards Israel. Please try to keep your comments at a level where people with some sort of sanity could actually take your posts seriously.

PS: Conspiracy Theories are not allowed here.
Reply

north_malaysian
09-20-2006, 04:35 AM
Originally Posted by therebbe
Right, the CIA would crash planes into buildings killing USA civilians and spew hatred towards Israel. Please try to keep your comments at a level where people with some sort of sanity could actually take your posts seriously.

PS: Conspiracy Theories are not allowed here.
It just a 'thought'..... i dont say it's a fact...duh!!!!
Reply

Kidman
09-20-2006, 05:29 PM
It's not a fact.... yet

Kidman
Reply

therebbe
09-20-2006, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by Kidman
It's not a fact.... yet

Kidman
Please go on.
Reply

Kidman
09-20-2006, 10:03 PM
I'm not one to jump to conclusions, but there has been numerous conspiracy theories about this, and they are still being researched today. Why hasn't the government cleared any of this up and just let it be? Why haven't they released the tape from the gas station that was pointing at the Pentigon when the "plane" hit it? And there's a lot more, just watch Loose Change..

Kidman
Reply

wilberhum
09-20-2006, 10:54 PM
I'm not one to jump to conclusions
But that seams to be what you have done.
there has been numerous conspiracy theories about this
There are conspiracy theories about almost everything. Even pork in Coke.
they are still being researched today.
They have been debunked so many times that no one is doing any searious research. Except those that have searious mental problems.
just watch Loose Change
What a bunch of yeps. They apeal to the gullable by presenting 10% or less of the information.
Reply

therebbe
09-21-2006, 03:33 AM
Excellent response. I could not have said it better.
Reply

ManchesterFolk
09-21-2006, 03:43 AM
hy haven't they released the tape from the gas station
The proof is overwhelming that your little theory is wrong.
Reply

Kidman
09-21-2006, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by ManchesterFolk
The proof is overwhelming that your little theory is wrong.
You know, and i hope i'm wrong. I wish that no country would do such a thing to their citizens just so they can have an excuse to agress another country. I'm just saying, that their is a lot of arguements going both ways. I don't really want to get into an arguement about it or anything, because there is no solid proof at this point. Maybe in the future something will turn up, maybe not.

Kidman
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-10-2013, 01:35 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-09-2011, 12:50 PM
  3. Replies: 76
    Last Post: 08-01-2011, 02:01 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-20-2009, 12:48 PM
  5. Replies: 45
    Last Post: 07-09-2006, 09:40 PM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!