/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Can't Follow Sleeping sunnah!

AnonymousPoster
09-13-2006, 11:20 AM
:sl:

Hi there I've been trying to follow the sunnah of sleep, by sleeping on my right side but for some reason I can't get to sleep on that side anyone else exprienced this?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Maimunah
09-13-2006, 11:26 AM
salaam
i have that problem aswell. just try n do ur best. Allah knows our intension.
wasalaam

Snowflake
09-13-2006, 11:56 AM
I have that difficulty myself as I toss and turn a lot. It might be a good idea to lie in the recommended position for short periods every night and get used to it. Doesn't work for me, but it might for you.

~Stranger~
09-13-2006, 07:14 PM
oh i have the same problem subhanallah but i just gave up in the end :(

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
bint_muhammed
09-13-2006, 07:43 PM
wow i thought i had the only problem! i sleep on my stomach and i've tried not to but i cant, i'm not comfy!

akulion
09-13-2006, 07:45 PM
put a huge sharp pointy nail on your left side and sleep facing the right....so when you turn over OUCH

lol

problem solved [joke]

DAWUD_adnan
09-13-2006, 07:51 PM
whahahhah, got the same problem foolow what muslimah sis said

Mawaddah
09-13-2006, 07:52 PM
I always go to sleep whilst laying on my right side but then when I wake up I'm always on my stomach :(

bronumba1
09-13-2006, 07:52 PM
this is just a joke its your nafs actually saying this to you, think about it,
if the sunnah was that to sleep to the left side then we would be complaining that we cant sleep on the left and find it easy to sleep on the right
its just our thinking pattern.:rollseyes

Snowflake
09-13-2006, 07:56 PM
^Gulp! :embarrass: But others sunnahs aint as hard to follow. Should we tell ourselves we have to sleep on our left then.. reverse psychology etccc? I know I got it! Sleep with ur back to the wall and you won't be able to turn around! Or dare to try br Aku's suggestion :giggling:

Mawaddah
09-13-2006, 07:58 PM
^ But that still wont help the people who love to sleep on their stomachs! and it looks like the majority of people do.

Well I guess you could start off by going to sleep on your right side and if you wake up in the night and see that you are in some other position just turn back to the right side Insha'allah :) at least you're trying no?

Snowflake
09-13-2006, 08:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mawaddah
^ But that still wont help the people who love to sleep on their stomachs! and it looks like the majority of people do.

Well I guess you could start off by going to sleep on your right side and if you wake up in the night and see that you are in some other position just turn back to the right side Insha'allah :) at least you're trying no?
I try every night but still end up on my tummy and the worst thing is that I heard it's haraam to sleep that way. So I feel guilty.

Your right we should at least try but it's not easy to sleeping on ur right side as your hand has to be under your cheek and your knees bent. I start getting pins and needles in my bent arm :-\

Mawaddah
09-13-2006, 08:11 PM
^ No it's not haraam to sleep on your stomach sis, that's a very popular misconception. I studied it and actually the hadeeth which comes on sleeping on your stomach is a weak hadeeth.
So........actually it's not haraam to sleep on your stomach, just it's sunnah to sleep on your right side :)
Allahu A3lam, if i'm wrong someone please correct me

Abdul Fattah
09-13-2006, 08:18 PM
It takes some time to get used to it, but if you persist eventually you might get used inshallah. I sleep in the sunnah position most of the time, except when I'm laying awake for very long (like two hours or so before i can sleep, then eventually I will have to move to anothre possition because my shoulder or arm tends to go numb.) Did you know that next to submitting to sunnah and getting reward from it inshallah there are other benefits in this to? When you sleep on your leftside it's slightly harder for your heart to pump as it is pressed down by the weight of your rightchest. So eventually you'd have a better physical rest inshallah. If you're afraid of loosing to much sleep over attempting to obtain the right position. Remember, the more you worry about loosing slee, the harder it will become to fall a sleep. So best thing to do is, make dua that Allah (s.w.t.) grants you a god night rest, and then just be patient. Tell me, which one of the two is most likely to have the best night rest? The one who's stressed up and eventually ends up sleeping in an unhealthy position or the one who's willing to wait patiently relying on Allah's (s.w.t.) mercy. I've had nights where I've slept over 6 hours, but went to bed rushed thinking the clock is ticking, and when I woke up I was tired. Then on other nights sometimes I only had 2 or 3 hours of sleep, but I made dua and asked for a good night rest and woke up in pretty good sleep (considering the hours I slept). You might wonder what all of this has to do with your origenal question, well it matters, if you will be able to sleep easyer, then inshallah you will also be easyer to sleep in teh sunnah position.
Another thing that might help, is your bed orientated in such a manner that when you lay on your rightside, that your face faces the qibla? I rearanged my furniture and turned my bed 90 degrees last month for that purpose, and it really makes a difrence, I feel more at peace while sleeping alhamdoelillah . (or at least, while going to sleep.)

About sleeping on stomach, I've heared it's haram, but I think that is just hear-say. I haven't seen any hadeeth about it. But it is discouraged for sure. I also heared that that when a man sleeps on his stomach certain areas of their body will have an increased bloodflow and get overstimulated. I'm not sure if that's corrected and if there is a corelation between those two, but it seems plausible.

Snowflake
09-13-2006, 08:29 PM
^ No it's not haraam to sleep on your stomach sis, that's a very popular misconception. I studied it and actually the hadeeth which comes on sleeping on your stomach is a weak hadeeth.
So........actually it's not haraam to sleep on your stomach, just it's sunnah to sleep on your right side :)
I've just looked it up on two different fatwa sites and your right it isn't haraam. Tnx sis. I shall sleep peacefully tonite :statisfie

MashaAllah@Steve bro. Good advice.

Umm Yoosuf
09-13-2006, 08:59 PM

It is recommended to fall asleep while lying on the right side. This was the Prophet’s pbuh practice. Al-Bara’, Huthayfah, Abu Tharr, and Hafsah reported:

“When the Prophet pbuh went to bed, he would put his hand under his right cheek.”Abu Dawud, an-Nasai and others

The Prophet pbuh also instructed his companions to do the same. In al-Bara’ Bin Azib’s , the Prophet pbuh said:

“When you go to bed, perform a wudu like that for the prayer, then lie on your right side.” Bukhari, Muslim and others.

The above discussion indicates that it is recommend to fall asleep while lying on the right side, but does not necessarily call for this throughout the nights sleep.

It is permissible to lie down or sleep on the left side. Jabir Bin Samurah reported:
“I saw the Allah’s Messenger reclining on a pillow, lying on his left side.” Recored by Abu Dawud and at-Tairmithi. Verified to be hasan by Al-Albani (Hidayat ur- Ruwah no 4638)

It is also permissible to lie down or sleep on the back. Abdullah Bin Zayd Bin Aism al-Mazini reported:

“I saw Allah’s Messenger in the Masjid, lying back, and placing one of his feet over the other.” Recorded by al-Bukhari, Muslim and others.

Lying on the back, however, is prohibited if it may lead to exposing the ‘awrah. Jabir reported that the Prophet said:

“Let no one among you lie on his back and then raise one foot to place it over the other”. Muslim, Abu Dawud, and others.

^ No it's not haraam to sleep on your stomach sis, that's a very popular misconception. I studied it and actually the hadeeth which comes on sleeping on your stomach is a weak hadeeth.So........actually it's not haraam to sleep on your stomach, just it's sunnah to sleep on your right side :)

It is not weak sister.

It is prohibited to sleep face-down on the stomach. Abu Hurayrah reported that the Prophet saw a man lying down on his stomach, so he said:

“Indeed, this is a manner of sleep that Allah dislikes.” Recorded by at-Tairmithi, ibn Hibban, and others. Verified to be authentic by Al-Albani (Hidayat ur-Ruwah no.4644)

From the book The Dreamer's Handbook by Muhammad Al-Jibaly.

AnonymousPoster
09-13-2006, 09:09 PM

If you sleep on one side and end up turning over just before going to sleep, you could try sleeping on the left initially and then allowing yourself to turn onto the right...

Another idea is to try and make the right side an interesting one i.e. not facing a wall or something... you might feel more inclined to face that way.

Whatever works for you... just so long as we end up doing the Sunnah in the end!

:w:

Snowflake
09-13-2006, 09:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Mu'minah

It is not weak sister.

It is prohibited to sleep face-down on the stomach. Abu Hurayrah reported that the Prophet saw a man lying down on his stomach, so he said:

“Indeed, this is a manner of sleep that Allah dislikes.” Recorded by at-Tairmithi, ibn Hibban, and others. Verified to be authentic by Al-Albani (Hidayat ur-Ruwah no.4644)

From the book The Dreamer's Handbook by Muhammad Al-Jibaly.
There goes my sleep... :-\
I've been trying for years to sleep on my right side but to no avail. It is allowed for medical reasons? If I sleep any other way, I end up waking as stiff as a plank! :uhwhat

جوري
09-14-2006, 01:23 AM
hey even "ahl ilkahf" used to turn to the left and to the right in their sleep
وَتَحْسَبُهُمْ أَيْقَاظًا وَهُمْ رُقُودٌ وَنُقَلِّبُهُمْ ذَاتَ الْيَمِينِ وَذَاتَ الشِّمَالِ وَكَلْبُهُم بَاسِطٌ ذِرَاعَيْهِ بِالْوَصِيدِ لَوِ اطَّلَعْتَ عَلَيْهِمْ لَوَلَّيْتَ مِنْهُمْ فِرَارًا وَلَمُلِئْتَ مِنْهُمْ رُعْبًا {18}
[Pickthal 18:18] And thou wouldst have deemed them waking though they were asleep, and We caused them to turn over to the right and the left, and their dog stretching out his paws on the threshold. If thou hadst observed them closely thou hadst assuredly turned away from them in flight, and hadst been filled with awe of them.
No one can sleep in the same position, moreover no one should sleep in the same position... that is how people end up with a decubitus it is healthy to turn at night... start off on your right... and whichever position you find yourself in, when you wake up is fine too........ my two cents...

DigitalStorm82
09-14-2006, 01:53 AM
salaamz bro n sis,

Initially you should start out by laying on your right side... although it's ok to turn in any position later on...

I feel very comfortable sleeping with pillows... I usually put something between my knees... it adds to the comfort... try stuffing pillows around you.. wherever you need it.

Good luck :)

W'salaamz,
Hamid

PS. Shataan sleeps on his stomach... Allah knows best.

جوري
09-14-2006, 03:32 AM
does the shytan sleep on his stomach? there are health risks if an infant sleep on his/her stomach it is true... it can cause SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome) the equivlant of it in adults is ARDS which I don't think is related to sleeping on one's stomach... I think there is wisdom behind us not sleeping on our stomachs in general and in particular children... but I am not sure if the devil is behind it?...
Allah A3lam

Snowflake
09-14-2006, 08:21 AM
I've just looked up if sleeping on your stomach is bad for your health - as there's wisdom behind everything in Islam. This is what I found....

Sleeping on your stomach or with your head elevated can give you aches and pains. To give your body the proper rest and to ensure the health of your neck, sleep only in two positions: 1) on your side and 2) on your back. Both these positions keep your cervical spine in natural alignment and prevent misalignment of the neck. You will prevent neck aches, backaches, pinched nerves, and general health problems caused by wear on your vertebrate and spinal column.

subhanAllah

DigitalStorm82
09-14-2006, 01:17 PM
I guess, the best bet is to sleep on right side... just to be safe.

My parents always forced me to sleep on my right side.. so its not a problem for me :) alhumdulillah.

I suggest you guys keep trying... and soon you'll adapt to it.

amirah_87
09-14-2006, 01:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
I've just looked up if sleeping on your stomach is bad for your health - as there's wisdom behind everything in Islam. This is what I found....

Sleeping on your stomach or with your head elevated can give you aches and pains. To give your body the proper rest and to ensure the health of your neck, sleep only in two positions: 1) on your side and 2) on your back. Both these positions keep your cervical spine in natural alignment and prevent misalignment of the neck. You will prevent neck aches, backaches, pinched nerves, and general health problems caused by wear on your vertebrate and spinal column.

subhanAllah
As salaamu alaykum,

Wow I sleep on my left, right, back, but I don't understand how people can sleep on their stomachs? it's really back-breaking..
Thanx for the info Muslimah_Sis I thought that was just only me!! :mmokay:

IbnAbdulHakim
09-14-2006, 01:28 PM
:salamext:

i use to hav that problem, but then i lost some weight lol and now i sleep perfectly fine :D

mayb its all the fat dudes who find it hard to sleep like that :? just a thought

:wasalamex

amirah_87
09-14-2006, 01:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mazed

i use to hav that problem, but then i lost some weight lol and now i sleep perfectly fine :D

mayb its all the fat dudes who find it hard to sleep like that :? just a thought

As salaamu alaykum,

Lol..., I don't think it's just occurs to the overweight people!!

It does'nt pain me too much, it's just reeaaally uncomfortable too!!

ZOREENA
09-14-2006, 01:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by akulion
put a huge sharp pointy nail on your left side and sleep facing the right....so when you turn over OUCH

lol

problem solved [joke]

Friekyyyyyy I was just about to say that!!! well done sis, coodnta put it better!! By the way, did u immalgamate that cat with the path to peace thing, or is it like that?

ZOREENA
09-14-2006, 01:40 PM

Id like you to say that to a fat personz face...Im fat, and a woman, BRING IT ON!!!;D

WHITEMUSK
09-14-2006, 01:40 PM
:uuh: yep i agree, its the fat around the midrif, it gives the body a funny arch especially in women!!

amirah_87
09-14-2006, 01:42 PM
As salaamu alaykum,

Well I'm not overweight!!

I think it also depends on the mattress aswell not just the person!!

IbnAbdulHakim
09-14-2006, 01:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ZOREENA
Id like you to say that to a fat personz face...Im fat, and a woman, BRING IT ON!!!;D

no i didnt mean any offence, its just a fact that when people eat a LOT they have less conciousness as they sleep u see, therefore those who overeat are likely to get more tired, therefore they'll have less control over themselves in sleep. Thats why my super skinny brother always sleeps on his right wivout movin a single inch... i move sometimes but most of the times i manage to sleep without moving :)

IbnAbdulHakim
09-14-2006, 01:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amirah_87
As salaamu alaykum,

Well I'm not overweight!!

I think it also depends on the mattress aswell not just the person!!

the mattress? Well try sleepin on the floor, i guarantee its comfortable and if ur skinny then shud hav no problems (i do this)

ZOREENA
09-14-2006, 01:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis

subhanAllah
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I wake up every day, and even now, from I have woken up, with a very very very bad neck, I'v been referred to fizio etc, but I thought it was to do with my car accident, but surely sleeping on my front isn't doin me any favors, I think too much on my back, and I get wind when im on my side!! But it changez randomly, sorta from year to year, Inshallah Im gonna try and sleep in a different way! My pillowz flat like, but still!

I learnd in the mosque, that we shoodnt sleep on our frontz, coz itz like an animal, who sleepz on their belly!!?? Dont know if thatz rite like!

ZOREENA
09-14-2006, 01:46 PM
I need to lose me midrif then, I need to get a water bed!!Lol!

IbnAbdulHakim
09-14-2006, 01:48 PM

i rememba what it was which made me start practising this sunnah, a brother came up to me when i was very young and use to blind follow (NOTICE THE !"USE TO") and told me that those who sleep on there stomachs with there bottoms raised will have there bottoms played with (b**m*d) by the shaytaan, ever since that day i NEVER slept on my stomach, lol i think that was a lie tho.... right... i mean thats not in any hadith... right... :offended:

amirah_87
09-14-2006, 01:49 PM

the mattress? Well try sleepin on the floor, i guarantee its comfortable and if ur skinny then shud hav no problems (i do this)

As salaamu alaykum,

I have no problem with my mattress, it's okay, but i've experienced with some of the mattresses that are really soft and sink deep.. that if you lie on your stomach.. it's almost as though your spine's about to snap!!

Mawaddah
09-14-2006, 01:54 PM
I really prefer sleeping on the floor to a bed. I dont know it's just me. and I realize that when I sleep on the floor I always say on my side too masha'allah :)

and told me that those who sleep on there stomachs with there bottoms raised will have there bottoms played with (b**m*d) by the shaytaan, ever since that day i NEVER slept on my stomach, lol i think that was a lie tho.... right... i mean thats not in any hadith... right...
LoooooL that is definitely not true ;D But it had the desired effect didn't it? I guess it's good the brother said that after all :D

amirah_87
09-14-2006, 01:56 PM

i rememba what it was which made me start practising this sunnah, a brother came up to me when i was very young and use to blind follow (NOTICE THE !"USE TO") and told me that those who sleep on there stomachs with there bottoms raised will have there bottoms played with (b**m*d) by the shaytaan, ever since that day i NEVER slept on my stomach, lol i think that was a lie tho.... right... i mean thats not in any hadith... right... :offended:

As salaamu alaykum,

Lol... I heard the exact same thing when I was young..:giggling:

I don't think it's correct though.. I doubt it,

I also heard that it's disliked to lie on your stomach has anyone heard of the same thing!?

Mawaddah
09-14-2006, 01:58 PM
^ If you read further up in this thread you'll see it Princess, we were discussing that sleeping on the Stomach

But I recall sis Umm Hyatt saying that it was a weak Hadeeth? :?

But sis Al-Mu'minah showed us a hadeeth which said that it was deemed as Saheeh by Sheikh al-albani.

Hmmm........I need to look up on this Insha'allah ......

amirah_87
09-14-2006, 01:58 PM
I really prefer sleeping on the floor to a bed. I dont know it's just me. and I realize that when I sleep on the floor I always say on my side too masha'allah :)
Lol.. on the floor with a mattress right, not on the floor floor .. right!!

or on a nice soft thick carpet's good too.. :)

amirah_87
09-14-2006, 02:00 PM
^ If you read further up in this thread you'll see it Princess, we were discussing that sleeping on the Stomach

But sis Al-Mu'minah showed us a hadeeth which said that it was deemed as Saheeh by Sheikh al-albani.

As salaamu alaykum,

I see!! I had some fawaa'id on this when we studied Adab AL-Mufrad, but I dont have it.. InshaAllah it shall be arriving in a coupe of days!!
make duaah my books/note books arive in one piece!! :cry:

Mawaddah
09-14-2006, 02:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amirah_87
Lol.. on the floor with a mattress right, not on the floor floor .. right!!

or on a nice soft thick carpet's good too.. :)
No sis, on the floor floor.......sometimes I spread out a blanket under me, but as long as the floor is not tiled (too cold) or just dirt (too dirty) :D then I can sleep without a sheet or blanket or carpet :giggling:

Nawal89
09-14-2006, 02:02 PM

I Think that the hadeeth umm hayaatt mentioned that was weak was "do not sleep on your stomach for verily that is how the shaytaan sleeps."

theres a weak person in the isnaad..saef ibn abdurrahman or something like that. I"ll look it up again inshaAllah.

amirah_87
09-14-2006, 02:04 PM
No sis, on the floor floor.......sometimes I spread out a blanket under me, but as long as the floor is not tiled (too cold) or just dirt (too dirty) :D then I can sleep without a sheet or blanket or carpet :giggling:
As salaamu alaykum,

Jeez!! bedouin life has till not rubbed off you... Floor floor is just too much for me , li'anniy naheefah yuwja3 al-3adhm.. you know what i mean!! :X
sue says: maa feeha hunaaka samn to cushion you!. ;D

amirah_87
09-14-2006, 02:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nawal89
I Think that the hadeeth umm hayaatt mentioned that was weak was "do not sleep on your stomach for verily that is how the shaytaan sleeps."

theres a weak person in the isnaad..saef ibn abdurrahman or something like that. I"ll look it up again inshaAllah.
As salamu alykum,

Please do Nawal, Jazakillaahu khayr sis!! ;)

Snowflake
09-14-2006, 04:00 PM
[QUOTE]
format_quote Originally Posted by ZOREENA
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I wake up every day
Thank God for that!

and even now, from I have woken up, with a very very very bad neck, I'v been referred to fizio etc, but I thought it was to do with my car accident, but surely sleeping on my front isn't doin me any favors, I think too much on my back, and I get wind when im on my side!! But it changez randomly, sorta from year to year, Inshallah Im gonna try and sleep in a different way! My pillowz flat like, but still!
Your pillow aint suppose 2 b too flat as your head ends up lower than ur body making ur neck bend at a funny angle. Why don't you invest in a Tempur pillow (£30). Or just buy a decent feather pillow :)

I learnd in the mosque, that we shoodnt sleep on our frontz, coz itz like an animal, who sleepz on their belly!!?? Dont know if thatz rite like!
read al muminah sisters' post

Muslimgirl01
09-18-2006, 11:54 AM
I have that prob too....as long as we keep an intention.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.