/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Montreal Shooting

Muezzin
09-13-2006, 09:37 PM
I'm surprised nobody's posted a thread about this yet.

By Robert Melnbardis

MONTREAL (Reuters) - A cold-faced gunman dressed in a black trenchcoat opened fire in a downtown Montreal college on Wednesday, leaving a trail of blood and injury and sending students fleeing for their lives.

Montreal police chief Yvan Delorme said police had shot and killed the single gunman, and 20 people had been injured. "Based on current information, the suspect was killed by the police," he told a news briefing.

Montreal General Hospital said 11 people had been admitted with gunshot wounds, and six were in critical condition. Some of the injured were taken to other area hospitals.

"It was the most scary thing that has ever happened to me," student Michael Boyer told CBC Television. "We ran out of the building as a SWAT team was coming in. They were screaming 'Where is he? Where is he?' And when you have 20 police running at you with guns you really know that your life is in danger."

Eyewitnesses reported blood on the steps to the college, and inside the cafeteria, which is on the second-floor. They said at least 20 shots were fired.

One television image showed what appeared to be a body under a yellow covering.

RDI Television had earlier quoted unofficial sources as saying that four people had died in the shooting, including two gunmen. But Delorme said he could not confirm that there was a second gunman. He gave no information on additional deaths.

"A suspect has been neutralized, which means he is not shooting any more," said Ian LaFreniere, a police spokesman.

The shooting took place in and around Dawson College, an English-language school with some 10,000 students between the ages of 16 and 19 in the heart of Montreal, Canada's second biggest city.

It triggered memories of the 1989 massacre at the Ecole Polytechnique de Montreal, where a gunman killed 14 women before killing himself, as well as of the 1999 Columbine massacre in Colorado, where two teenagers killed 12 other students and a teacher before killing themselves.

The Ecole Polytechnique gunman, Marc Lepine, 25, left behind a three-page letter that said feminists had ruined his life and named 19 high profile Quebec women he wanted to kill.

Witnesses to Wednesday's shooting said the man started firing outside the college before walking through the front door and continuing to shoot inside.

"He said nothing. He had a stone cold face, there was nothing on his face, he didn't say anything, he didn't yell out any slogans or anything. He just started opening fire. He was a cold blooded killer," said student Soher Marous.

One woman said the shooter was white, aged about 19, and looked like "the stereotype, with the long black trenchcoat and all the studs and piercings and stuff like that".

Robert Soroka, a professor at Dawson College, said he heard the shots from his fourth floor office.

"This could have been a very bad situation, if it had happened five minutes later when the students would have been exiting their classrooms during the changeover," he said.
Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
therebbe
09-13-2006, 09:51 PM
Wow, I never heard of this kind of thing, especially in Canada.

Mawaddah
09-13-2006, 10:14 PM
I just finished reading about it on Yahoo. Pretty scary huh.

Islamicboy
09-13-2006, 10:19 PM
In Canada Toronto we have lots of shooting outside of schools.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ghazi
09-13-2006, 10:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
Might be a FPS addict.
:sl:

Yep, the countdown to Halo 3 has gotten to people.

Keltoi
09-13-2006, 10:35 PM
Shows that all school buildings should have a metal detector and the necessary number of security folks. This isn't "Leave it to Beaver" anymore.

Mezier
09-14-2006, 01:55 AM
I was sitting in business stats class only a few blocks away when it happened. i was also in that exact caf last night.....scary. i felt uneasy the rest of the day.

:w:

north_malaysian
09-14-2006, 09:40 AM
BAN sales of those weapons to public.

Inshallah
09-14-2006, 09:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
BAN sales of those weapons to public.
It's illegal in Canada. Majority of those guns are smuggled from the US.

akulion
09-14-2006, 10:05 AM
i wonder why the media didnt call him a "right wing extremist christian terrorist"

lol

I can BET if he was a paki or arab he would be called: a mulim extremist suspected to be linked to Al queda

Muezzin
09-14-2006, 10:54 AM
Well, on the news today it said a 20 year old woman was shot and died. How the heck did this guy even get in the building? Eyewitnesses say he was walking down the street with a sniper-rifle.

I agree schools need metal detectors or some sort of improved security to stop these tragedies.

Mezier
09-14-2006, 07:11 PM
Its a downtown college in Montreal (there are quiet a few actually), so its basically a whole bunch of buildings that look like commercial centers. Just like how you can walk into almost any business building, is the same as how you can walk into Dawson College. He parked his car near the school on one of the busy downtown streets and just walked to the front doors where he killed a person on the front steps, the went inside and injured another 19.

:w:

Zulkiflim
09-14-2006, 09:10 PM
Salaam

Sad news,but with every facet of the media gloryfying murder and torture what is stop one person from doing it?

wilberhum
09-14-2006, 09:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zulkiflim
Salaam

Sad news,but with every facet of the media gloryfying murder and torture what is stop one person from doing it?
How has the media glorified murder and toture?

- Qatada -
09-14-2006, 09:41 PM
wilberhum, let's not go offtopic insha'Allaah.

But the point i think the brother is trying to make is that the idea of encouraging the youth to follow the 'thug scene' is prevailant alot in todays society and within the media.

Allaah Almighty knows best.

Peace.

Inshallah
09-15-2006, 06:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by akulion
i wonder why the media didnt call him a "right wing extremist christian terrorist"

lol

I can BET if he was a paki or arab he would be called: a mulim extremist suspected to be linked to Al queda
He was sikh his name was Kimveer Gill and he shot himself in the head when officers injured him.

syilla
09-15-2006, 06:20 AM
i read it in the newspaper yesterday...

he also have a blog and mentioned that he hate humanity and wanted to die "under a hail of bullets".

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.