/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Dafur I want to go help

AnonymousPoster
09-13-2006, 10:03 PM
:sl:

Ok the attrocities happening there have recently come to my attention Inshallah I need a few questions answered.

1. Who are the Victims
2. Who the oppressors
3. I think it's past the time for making dua I wanna physicly be there to show our oppressed brothers and sisters that I care
4. How would I do this, IE. any aid agencies that are recuriting ect?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-13-2006, 10:06 PM
No idea. Im sure u can find some, Inshallah.
I'd wana help too. Well good luck to you.

therebbe
09-13-2006, 10:08 PM
1. Who are the Victims
The blacks in the region.

2. Who the oppressors
Sudan backed Arab militia, accused of ethnic cleansing.

3. I think it's past the time for making dua I wanna physicly be there to show our oppressed brothers and sisters that I care
4. How would I do this, IE. any aid agencies that are recuriting ect?
Not sure if Sudan would allow you in. Might have to sneak in to be honest.

therebbe
09-13-2006, 10:09 PM
WHAT HAPPENED:

Rebels in the vast region the size of France took up arms against the government in February 2003 saying the Sudanese government discriminated against mostly non-Arabs in Darfur.

More than 2 million civilians, mostly subsistence farmers, have fled their homes to camps in Darfur and across the border into Chad to escape the fighting and raids by government-backed militias. The United States has called the violence genocide. The Sudanese government admits to arming some militias to quell the rebellion but denies links to Janjaweed militias accused of rape, murder and looting.

The U.N. has estimated at least 180,000 people have died in Darfur from fighting, hunger and disease. There are no official tolls of those killed in violence.

NEGOTIATIONS:

A Darfur ceasefire was agreed in April 2004 and the African Union (AU) eventually sent some 7,000 troops with a mandate to monitor the peace and protect those displaced in the camps. Since then the ceasefire has been frequently violated by all sides, according to the AU.

After days of negotiations in the Nigerian capital, Abuja, the government and a Sudan Liberation Army (SLA) faction said signed peace terms on May 5 with reservations over power sharing and security.

A rival faction of the SLA and the smaller Justice and Equality Movement (JEM) rejected the deal.

African Union says the two factions would have an extra two weeks until the end of May to sign a peace agreement.

CHARGES

In June 2005 the International Criminal Court announced a formal investigation into suspected crimes against humanity in Sudan's Darfur region. Sudan's government says it will not allow ICC investigators to work in Darfur.

The U.N. Security Council imposed sanctions on four Sudanese accused of abuses in Darfur, the first against individuals involved in the conflict.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ghazi
09-13-2006, 10:12 PM

How can I help thou I want to out there can someone provide me with any contacts which will be willing to take me there.

therebbe
09-13-2006, 10:12 PM
Another Article on the Basics of the conflict:

How did the conflict start?
The conflict began in the arid and impoverished region early in 2003 after a rebel group began attacking government targets, saying the region was being neglected by Khartoum.
The rebels say the government is oppressing black Africans in favour of Arabs.
Darfur, which means land of the Fur, has faced many years of tension over land and grazing rights between the mostly nomadic Arabs, and farmers from the Fur, Massaleet and Zagawa communities.
There are two main rebel groups, the Sudan Liberation Army (SLA) and the Justice and Equality Movement (Jem), although the peace talks were complicated by splits in both groups, some along ethnic lines.
The groups opposed to a May peace deal with the government have now merged into the National Redemption Front led by former Darfur governor Ahmed Diraige.
What is the government doing?
It admits mobilising "self-defence militias" following rebel attacks but denies any links to the Janjaweed, accused of trying to "cleanse" black Africans from large swathes of territory.
Refugees from Darfur say that following air raids by government aircraft, the Janjaweed ride into villages on horses and camels, slaughtering men, raping women and stealing whatever they can find.

Many women report being abducted by the Janjaweed and held as sex slaves for more than a week before being released.
Human rights groups, the US Congress and the former US Secretary of State Colin Powell all said that genocide was taking place - though a UN investigation team sent to Sudan said that while war crimes had been committed, there had been no intent to commit genocide.
Sudan's government denies being in control of the Janjaweed and President Omar al-Bashir has called them "thieves and gangsters".
After strong international pressure and the threat of sanctions, the government promised to disarm the Janjaweed. But so far there is little evidence this has happened.
Trials have been announced in Khartoum of some members of the security forces suspected of abuses - but this is viewed as part of a campaign against UN-backed attempts to get some 50 key suspects tried at the International Criminal Court in The Hague.
What has happened to the civilians?
Millions have fled their destroyed villages, with many heading for camps near Darfur's main towns. But there is not enough food, water or medicine.
The Janjaweed patrol outside the camps and Darfurians say the men are killed and the women raped if they venture too far in search of firewood or water.

The Janjaweed are accused of 'ethnic cleansing'

Some 200,000 have also sought safety in neighbouring Chad, but many of these are camped along a 600km stretch of the border and remain vulnerable to attacks from Sudan.
The refugees are also threatened by the diplomatic fallout between Chad and Sudan as the neighbours accuse one another of supporting each other's rebel groups.

Chad's eastern areas have a similar ethnic make-up to Darfur.
Many aid agencies are working in Darfur but they are unable to get access to vast areas because of the fighting.

What happened to the peace deal?
SLA leader Minni Minawi, who signed the May peace deal, was given a large budget, but his fighters have already been accused by Amnesty International of abuses against people in areas opposed to the peace deal.
The smaller SLA faction and Jem did not sign the deal.

The government again promised to disarm the Janjaweed but there appears no evidence of this.
The UN's Jan Egeland says that there has been a dramatic increase in violence and displacement since the deal was signed.
With the peace deal looking unworkable and amid fears of renewed "all-out war", there appears little prospect of people returning to their villages for some time yet.

Is anyone trying to stop the fighting?
About 7,000 African Union troops have slowly been deployed in Darfur on a very limited mandate.
Experts say the soldiers are too few to cover an area the size of France, and the African Union says it does not have the money to fund the operation for much longer.
Sudan continues to resist strong western diplomatic pressure for the UN to take control of the peacekeeping mission. The latest plan envisages 17,000 troops and 3,000 UN policemen but at present there is deadlock.
In April 2006, the UN Security Council passed a resolution imposing sanctions against four Sudanese nationals accused of war crimes in Darfur that include two rebel leaders, a former air force chief, and a Janjaweed militia leader. A dossier of evidence compiled by a UN commission has also been passed to the ICC in The Hague, along with the names of top war crimes suspects.

therebbe
09-13-2006, 10:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth

How can I help thou I want to out there can someone provide me with any contacts which will be willing to take me there.
I'm not sure if Sudan allows anyone to. You might have to sneak in to be honest.

Ghazi
09-13-2006, 10:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by therebbe
I'm not sure if Sudan allows anyone to. You might have to sneak in to be honest.

:D Always wanted to be a secret agent, I'm off african decent so I could blend in easily but how on earth would I do that.

therebbe
09-13-2006, 10:17 PM

:D Always wanted to be a secret agent, I'm off african decent so I could blend in easily but how on earth would I do that.
A lot of organizations send there workers in through Chad. As you can see on the map below, Chad borders the darfur, area, where the fighting is between the Blacks, and the Arab "ethnic cleansers".

Ghazi
09-13-2006, 10:19 PM
whats all this talk and who are these orginasations you speak of rabb

therebbe
09-13-2006, 10:24 PM
whats all this talk and who are these orginasations you speak of rabb
Basically the organizations that are on the ground, but these are people who work for governments, and there are a few private groups that have people who are experienced in helping people in such intense conditions.

The SaveDarfur website says on people who wish to actually voluneer to go there:

format_quote Originally Posted by SaveDarfur Site
What are the options for those who want to volunteer on the ground in Darfur or Chad?

Unfortunately, due to the extreme violence and insecurity in the Darfur region, we do not know of any humanitarian organizations currently accepting volunteers.
The Save Darfur Coalition offers several suggestions on how you can raise awareness and lobby for the people of Darfur. This information can be found on the “Take Action” section.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-13-2006, 10:40 PM
Omg..."ethnic cleansing"...thats messed up and so wrong. I never knew what the situation was there. I guess I do now.

Durrah
09-13-2006, 10:40 PM

I gotta ask you brother, what skills you got to bring on the table?

Lets be realistic, you can't just up and go, without no contact, without no particluar skills that can help the people and without no money.

I imagine that those the people that go to darfur are usually either medical experts (doctors, nurses etc.. who work for organistaions or go by themselves) and the other group of people are journalists.

I'd be right in thinking that your not a medic or a journalist. Those would be two types of fields to go into, if you wanted to help.

If you have other skills, partculay ones which are labourous (like plumer, electrican, builder etc.), then im sure theres something you can do there. Even its not stopping/exposing the oppression, you could still do something to help improve the lives of those there.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-13-2006, 10:50 PM
I hope I get the chance to do a cause worthy like that, Inshallah.
Im studying to become a Pharmacologist, Inshallah! lol

snakelegs
09-14-2006, 02:08 AM
thanks for all the info, rebbe! it's one of those things i keep meaning to read about but never get to. as a result, i was almost completely ignorant of what is happening there.

syilla
09-14-2006, 03:06 AM
taken from the link that posted by brother therebbe

In Darfur, My Camera Was Not Nearly Enough

By Brian Steidle — Washington Post, Sunday, March 20, 2005; Page B02

Our helicopter touched down in a cloud of camel-brown sand, dust and plastic debris. As the cloud gradually settled into new layers on the bone-dry desert landscape, we could make out the faces of terrified villagers. "Welcome to Sudan," I murmured to myself, grabbing my pen and waterproof notebook.

A former Marine, I had arrived in Sudan's Darfur region in September 2004 as one of three U.S. military observers for the African Union, armed only with a pen, pad and camera. The mandate for the A.U. force allowed merely for the reporting of violations of a cease-fire that had been declared last April and the protection of observers. The observers sometimes joked morbidly that our mission was to search endlessly for the cease-fire we constantly failed to find. I soon realized that this was no joke.

The conflict had begun nearly 1 1/2 years earlier and had escalated into a full-scale government-sponsored military operation that, with the support of Arab militias known as the Janjaweed, was aimed at annihilating the African tribes in the region. And while the cease-fire was supposed to have put a stop to that, on an almost daily basis we would be called to investigate reports of attacks on civilians. We would find men, women and children tortured and killed, and villages burned to the ground.

The first photograph I took in Darfur was of a tiny child, Mihad Hamid. She was only a year old when I found her. Her mother had attempted to escape an onslaught from helicopter gunships and Janjaweed marauders that had descended upon her village of Alliet in October 2004. Carrying her daughter in a cloth wrapped around her waist, as is common in Sudan, Mihad's terrified mother had run from her attackers. But a bullet had rung out through the dry air, slicing through Mihad's flesh and puncturing her lungs. When I discovered the child, she was nestled in her mother's lap, wheezing in a valiant effort to breathe. With watery eyes, her mother lifted Mihad for me to examine.

Most Sudanese villagers assume that a khawadja -- a foreigner -- must be a doctor. And my frantic efforts to signal to her to lay her struggling daughter back down only convinced her that I had medical advice to dispense. It broke my heart to be able to offer her only a prayer and a glance of compassion, as I captured this casualty with my camera and notepad. I pledged, with the linguistic help of our team's Chadian mediator, that we would alert the aid organizations poised to respond.

"This is what they do," the mediator -- a neutral party to the conflict -- screamed at me. "This is what happens here! Now you know! Now you see!" I was unaware at that time that when the aid workers arrived the next day, amid continued fighting, they would never be able to locate Mihad.

Mihad now represents to me the countless victims of this vicious war, a war that we documented but given our restricted mandate were unable to stop. Every day we surveyed evidence of killings: men castrated and left to bleed to death, huts set on fire with people locked inside, children with their faces smashed in, men with their ears cut off and eyes plucked out, and the corpses of people who had been executed with gunshots to the head. We spoke with thousands of witnesses -- women who had been gang-raped and families that had lost fathers, people who plainly and soberly gave us their accounts of the slaughter.

Often we were the witnesses. Just two days after I had taken Mihad's photo, we returned to Alliet. While talking to a government commander on the outskirts of the town, we heard a buzz that sounded like a high-voltage power line. Upon entering the village, we saw that the noise was coming from flies swarming over dead animals and people. We counted about 20 dead, many burned, and then flew back to our camp to write our report. But the smell of charred flesh was hard to wash away.

The conflict in Darfur is not a battle between uniformed combatants, and it knows no rules of war. Women and children bear the greatest burden. The Internally Displaced Persons (IDP) camps are filled with families that have lost their fathers. Every day, women are sent outside the IDP camps to seek firewood and water, despite the constant risk of rape at the hands of the Janjaweed. Should men be available to venture out of the camps, they risk castration and murder. So families decide that rape is the lesser evil. It is a crime that families even have to make such a choice. Often women are sexually assaulted within the supposed safety of the IDP camps. Nowhere is really safe. If and when the refugees are finally able to return home and rebuild, many women may have to support themselves alone; rape victims are frequently ostracized, and others face unwanted pregnancies and an even greater burden of care.

The Janjaweed militias do not act alone. I have seen clear evidence that the atrocities committed in Darfur are the direct result of the Sudanese government's military collaboration with the militias. Attacks are well coordinated by Sudanese government officials and Arab militias, who attack villages together. Before these attacks occur, the cell phone systems are shut down by the government so that villagers cannot warn each other. Whenever we lost our phone service, we would scramble to identify the impending threat. We knew that somewhere, another reign of terror was about to begin.

Helicopter gunships belonging to the government routinely support the Arab militias on the ground. The gunships fire anti-personnel rockets that contain flashettes, or small nails, each with stabilizing fins on the back so the point hits the target first. Each gunship contains four rocket pods, each rocket pod contains about 20 rockets and each rocket contains about 500 of these flashettes. Flashette wounds look like shotgun wounds. I saw one small child's back that looked as if it had been shredded by a cheese grater. We got him to a hospital, but we did not expect him to live.

On many of the occasions we tried to investigate these attacks, we would find that fuel for our helicopters was mysteriously unavailable. We would receive unconvincing explanations from the Sudanese government's fuel company -- from "we are out of fuel" to "our fuel pumps are broken." At the same time, government helicopters continued to strafe villages unimpeded.

Those villagers who were able to escape flocked to existing IDP camps, where they would scrounge for sticks and plastic bags to construct shelter from the sun and wind. In even these desperate situations, however, the Sudanese government would not give up its murderous mission. First it would announce the need to relocate an IDP camp and assess the population of displaced people, often grossly underestimating the numbers. Then after international aid organizations had built a new, smaller camp, the government would forcibly relocate the population, leaving hundreds to thousands without shelter. It would bulldoze or drive over the old camps with trucks, often in the middle of the night in order to escape notice. It would then gather up and burn the remaining debris.

The worst thing I saw came last December, when Labado, a village of 20,000 people, was burned to the ground. We rushed there after a rebel group contacted us, and we arrived while the attack was still in progress. At the edge of the village, I found a Sudanese general who explained why he was doing nothing to stop the looting and burning. He said his job was to protect civilians and keep the road open to commercial traffic and denied that his men were participating in the attack. Then a group of uniformed men drove by in a Toyota Land Cruiser. The general said they were just going to get water, but they stopped about 75 yards away, jumped out, looted a hut and burned it. The attacks continued for a week. We have no idea how many people died there but tribal leaders later said close to 100 were missing.

lavikor201
09-14-2006, 03:19 AM
May G-d protect them all. :cry:

Woodrow
09-14-2006, 03:20 AM
To help in Dafur it will take highly skilled people that will be viewed as outsiders and will have to put up with the threat of being seen as an enemy by both powers. It is difficult to try to help somebody who is going to view you as the enemy. Keep in mind once the fighting stops all people that came to help, will then be seen as invaders and as aggressors.

What I see is that to side with the Arab factions would be partaking in the Genocide of the Ethnic Natives. To side with the Ethnic oppressed will mean going against our Arab brothers.

Going back to the original poster's questions. Which would be the "Rightous" side to support? Who is the enemy and who is the victim?

It is apparant that both factions see themselves as protecting their homeland.

Are both sides right? Are both sides wrong? How does any one find which side to support?

Would any outsider coming in be accepted or be seen as a mutual enemy by both factions?

lavikor201
09-14-2006, 03:26 AM
What I see is that to side with the Arab factions would be partaking in the Genocide of the Ethnic Natives. To side with the Ethnic oppressed will mean going against our Arab brothers.
I would assume that you feel that going against your Arab "brothers" is not as bad as supporting them in their quest to ethnically cleanse the land of all blacks and remove there rights.

I pray you do not support one side because of their race, but instead because of their actions.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.