/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Mentally ill mother kills baby

Ummah
06-12-2005, 12:58 PM
LONDON (Reuters) - A depressed mother who cooked her three-week-old baby son on a stove needs treatment not jail, a judge decided on Wednesday after she pleaded guilty to manslaughter.

Cheryl Green, 40, who had a long history of mental illness, admitted she had burnt baby Mickle to death after becoming confused and claiming she had heard voices telling her to do it.

She admitted manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility after her 'not guilty' plea was accepted by Old Bailey criminal court.

"This is not a case where the public interest requires punishment. What you need is treatment," Judge Christopher Moss said.

Green had suffered from a schizo-affective disorder which caused her to hear voices and become depressed since 1985, the court heard.

She could also suffer outbursts of violence and had been admitted to hospital on seven previous occasions.

The court heard the baby's death occurred on April 22 last year. Green, who was completely naked, woke her neighbour at 3 a.m. by banging on her door, saying she had locked herself out.

As the neighbour drove Green to her mother's house, she blurted out: "I burnt the baby. I burnt the baby."

They returned to Green's home and found Mickle, who was born prematurely and was said to be no bigger than an adult's hand, lying on the floor in front of the oven with the main gas ring turned up on high.

"I put the baby on the fire. I burnt him on the stove. I got confused," Green said.

Despite suffering 90 percent burns to his body, doctors and paramedics managed to keep the boy alive for nine hours. The incident was so horrific that paramedics had to be given counselling for the emotional trauma they suffered.

Green's lawyer David Fisher said a number of agencies who cared for her had visited her in the days before the incident but there had been mixed views about her condition.

Moss called for those responsible for caring for Green to review their procedures to see if they were adequate.

He ordered that she be put into the "guardianship" of Southwark Council in London where she will be supervised in a care home

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
khal_75
06-12-2005, 01:01 PM
:sl: :omg: la qaddaralla :omg: :omg: :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :( :( :w:

Ummah
06-12-2005, 01:08 PM
Asalaamualaikum

what does La QadarAllah mean?

Muezzin
06-12-2005, 02:02 PM
:sl:

May Allah grant the child jannah and guide his mother.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
niqaabii
06-12-2005, 08:41 PM
hmmmmm

ummul hasnayn
06-12-2005, 09:02 PM
ameen 2 the dua

oh god that sad

Pinkrose
06-12-2005, 10:41 PM

:'( :'( :'( :'(

That is so sad!!!! omg!! :( subhanallah

:w:

IslamicBrother
06-13-2005, 04:32 AM

The incident was so horrific that paramedics had to be given counselling for the emotional trauma they suffered
La hawla wala quwatta illah billah.

Imagine Hell for a moment brothers and sisters. Allahu Akhbar!

Ra`eesah
06-13-2005, 05:37 AM
Assalamu'Alaykum

Many new mothers (non muslim westren women) experience a mild depression called the baby blues and or Postpartum Depression . Postpartum blues usually begin 1 or 2 days after delivery and can last up to 3 weeks. These out-of-control feelings can add to anxiety and fear.... Read More Here

Asalaamualaikum

what does La QadarAllah mean?
I can say rough translation would be "Allah/God Forbid"

Subhanallah "Allahum Ihfathna min thalik" May Allah protect us from that ~ameen

S_87
06-13-2005, 11:03 AM

:'( :'( :'( :( :omg:

La Hawla Wa La Quwwata illah billah :'(

أحمد
06-13-2005, 11:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by 3washey
Assalamu'Alaykum

I can say rough translation would be "Allah/God Forbid"

Subhanallah "Allahum Ihfathna min thalik" May Allah protect us from that ~ameen

:( Ameen . . .

:omg: It does indeed mean "Allah/God Forbid"

:'( Allahumma laa ya`ti bil-hasanaati illa ant. Walaa yadfa'us-sayyiaati illa ant. Walaa hawla walaa quwwata illa bik . . . Ameen

أحمد
06-13-2005, 11:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by zAk
is it a "dua" ???

:) Yes; this is a du'a the Prophet :arabic5: taught people to read; when seeing or hearing something bad . . .

أحمد
06-13-2005, 11:41 AM
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,
i thought its just a praise for Allah :arabic2:
so the AMEEN at end .....:brother:

:D Du'as actually come quite often in ahadith as in the form of praises to Allah :arabic2: . . . ;)

أحمد
06-13-2005, 12:01 PM
yeah, but then there's no AMEEN at end ;)

:D There is, because only parts of it are praise and its still a du'a . . . :shade:

أحمد
06-13-2005, 12:49 PM
again NO!
the whole of wat u wrote was PRAISE :)

:D Again you have mis-understood me :brother: zAK. The Prophet :arabic5: used to teach it as a du'a; that's about the best answer you should expect, because that is the best interpretation; as the Quran says in Surah an-Nisaa 4: verse 59 . . . :p

:mad: And don't say NO :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Ibn Abi Ahmed
06-13-2005, 01:03 PM

Astaghfirullah. Allah grat that innocent child Jannah Inshallah and his mom giudence Inshallah.

Na7lah
08-12-2006, 04:23 AM
^^ameen

bint_muhammed
08-12-2006, 10:54 PM
bless them both, what must the mother be feeeling, and what her baby went through! towba!

Snowflake
08-12-2006, 11:14 PM
*shudders* Ameen to all the duaas.

shariq_0189
08-13-2006, 03:25 AM
astugfirullah...wow May Allah help tht woman and any other person suffering from tht. ameen

nennar
08-13-2006, 11:13 AM
its not only something western women can get!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and it can last much much longere than 3 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.