/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Question about Du'a

Abdul Fattah
09-14-2006, 06:07 PM
I once read or heared that after salaat, when making dua that one should respect a certain priority, and first make dua for theirselves an only afterwards for others. I don't remember where I heared that, and I didn't think much of it back then, but now somebody asked me about this, I tried to google it, but didn't find anything, can someone confirm, refute this? If possible give source from qur'an or hadeeth please.
Thanks in advance.

Edit: Maybe I should have posted this in basics of Islam. Silly me, post first think about proper section later :p

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Umm Yoosuf
09-14-2006, 07:30 PM
Assalaamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatulaahi Wa Barakatuh

It is desirable that the person making the du’a should first ask of it for himself. This is so far a number of reasons. Firstly, a person should desire all good for himself, so it does not make sense to pray for others and forget one’s self. Secondly, the fact that a person prays for himself shows that what he is praying for is important goal and objective. In other words, this ensures that he desires for his brother what he desires for himself. Thirdly, it increases him his sincerity in this du’a, for verily mankind is weak, so when he makes du’a only for his brother, it is possible that it will not be as sincere as when he makes a du’a for himself and his brother.

This principle is demonstrated in a number of Quran verses, such as:

“O Allah! Forgive us, and our brothers (in faith) who have preceded us!” Surah Hasr verse 10

“And he (Musa) prayed: O my Lord! Forgive me and my brothers, and enter us into your Mercy” Surah al-A’raf verse 151

“And Seek forgiveness (O Muhammad) for your sins, and for the believing men and women.” Surah Muhammad verse 19

Likewise, this principle is affirmed by the practice if the Prophet pbuh. Ubayy ibn Ka’b reports that whenever the Prophet pbuh remembered someone and prayed for him, he would begin with himself. (Authentic, narrated by Abu Dawud, al-Tirmidhi, al-Nasa’I and others, from Ubayy ibn Ka’a and authenticated in sahih al-Jami’ # 4723)

However, this was not the constant habits of the Prophet pbuh, for there are other narrations to show that sometimes he puhb would pray for another person without praying for himself. For example, when he was speaking about Haar, Isma’il’s mother, he pbuh said:

“May Allah have mercy on the mother of Isma’il. Had she left Zam Zam (to flow, and not stopped it with some sand) it would have been a clear lake” Reported by al-Bukhari, from Anas ibn Malki, as reported in Sahih al Jami # 8079

He also said regarding Hassan ibn Thabit,

“O Allah! Help him with the Holy Spirit (the Angel Jibril)!”
Reported by Bukhari, Muslim and others , from Abu Hurayrah

And for Ibn Abbas

“O Allah! Grant him with an understanding of the religion”
Reported by Bukhari, Muslim and others , from Ibn Abbas

These, and other examples besides these, show the permissibility of making a du’a without mentioning ones’ self, but in general, it is recommended to do so.

From the Book Du'a The Weapon of the Believers by Abu Ammaar Yasir Qadhi

Allah Knows Best

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.